• Published 25th Oct 2018
  • 4,116 Views, 956 Comments

My Chemical Reaction - MysteriousStranger



Still recovering from the Midnight Sparkle incident, Twilight seeks to distract herself with a new book she's eager to read, but she soon discovers that she's not the only one interested in it.

  • ...
11
 956
 4,116

Chemical Equilibrium

Twilight's P.O.V.

One Week Later

I was at a park with my Canterlot High friends and Spike, chatting and laughing lightheartedly. I had a tennis ball with me. My friends and I took turns to play with Spike. We got ice-creams and drinks, then, Pinkie Pie lent me her kite. I couldn’t stop smiling, I was having so much fun!

While flying the kite, I spotted someone at the distance. I focused my attention on the person and saw that it was Aria. I grinned and gave the kite back to Pinkie Pie before running towards my other friend. When I was about to reach her, I opened my arms. I tried to hug her, but I kept going. Something was wrong. I turned around and realized I went straight through my friend. Aria didn’t even turn around. Her body started to turn into smoke. My other friends and Spike shared the same destiny. They were gone. Wh-What’s going on? In a blink of an eye, everything turned dark and a strange fog appeared. This was familiar. I’m not liking this…

I took a step forward and realized that I stepped into something. I ducked to pick up the object. I recognized it, it’s my spectrometer! What is it doing here? Where is here?! Why am I having this dream again? I need answers!

“Well, well. Look who finally came to visit. I knew you would show up sooner or later.” I gasped. That voice… I heard it before, but I couldn't remember from where. I turned around, trying to find the source of the voice, but without any luck.

“Who are you?! Why are you here?”

“I never left this place. I remained here, waiting for your return so we could continue where we left of.”

“What are you talking about?” This was getting eerie. I still couldn’t remember where I heard the voice before, but something was telling me it was best not to.

“Our quest, of course. There’s so much we can achieve. So much to be done.” As the voice spoke, a shadow appeared below me. It started to climb up my legs and waist. I tried to move but was unable to do so. I screamed from the top of my lungs while the voice’s laughter echoed until the shadow covered me completely and couldn’t scream any longer.

I opened my eyes shut and sat up on my bed in an instant as I panted. Wh-what was that dream about?! It was terrifying!

“Ouch, Twilight! Why did you do that?”

“Huh?” I glanced towards my feet. Spike was there, rubbing his head with his paw. He must have been sleeping on my chest until… oh, no… “Spike, I’m so sorry! Are you okay?”

“Just surprised. If you don’t want me to sleep on you, you can just tell me.” My pet looked down. He seemed upset. Oh, poor thing…

“That’s not it, Spike. I was having a bad dream.” I stroked Spike’s head as I spoke. “I got startled and woke up abruptly. Come here.” I opened my arms and Spike looked at me. He waved his tail and jumped into my arms, allowing me to hug him. “You’re such a good boy. Why would I not like having you sleep with me? I love you.”

“I love you too, Twilight!” Spike said before licking me all over my face. I giggled before putting my glasses on to glance at my alarm clock. It was just five minutes before it sets off, so I deactivated it.

“Looks like it’s time to get up. What’s the plan for this Sunday, Spike?” I asked as I got off bed.

“Your parents are going out this afternoon, and Cadence is coming over.”

“Oh, right.” I think my heart skipped a beat. I have to ask Cadence an important question. No matter the answer, I’ll get anxious. If I’m falling for Aria, how am I going to behave around her? If I’m not, then what’s happening to me? I would hate having to stop seeing Aria. I must solve this enigma.

“Twilight? Are you there? Twilight!” I felt Spike’s paws on my legs. I shifted my head towards him. “Are you still sleepy?”

I felt my cheeks warmer as I smiled at him. Spike is really caring. I had no reason to lie. I already told him everything about my problem. “N-No, Spike. I was just thinking about my conversation with Cadence and how I feel about Aria…”

“I’m sure Cadence will have an answer.” I leaned down to scratch my pet on the back of his ears. He leaned his head against my hand and waved his tail, enjoying it.

“Thank you for your support, Spike. Let me get changed and I’ll prepare your meal.”

“Thanks. I’m hungry!”

I giggled. Oh, Spike. Never change.


After Spike and I had our breakfast, I decided to go to my lab to kill some time. However, when I got there, my cell phone started to ring. My caller was Fluttershy.

“Hi, Fluttershy. How are you?"

“I’m fine, thank you…” My friend said with a quiet tone. I think that’s how she usually speaks. “I’m calling because… Rarity was going to give me a hand at the animal shelter I help at this afternoon, but she got busy last minute. A-Are you free?”

“This afternoon? Oh, I’m sorry, Fluttershy, but I’m busy too. I won’t mind joining you next time, though.”

“I would enjoy having your help next week. I’ll see if Applejack is available. Goodbye, Twilight.”

“Wait, Fluttershy.” I heard my friend gasp.

“Y-Yes?”

“Mind if we talk? We haven’t really talked since we met and I would love to get to know you better.”

“Oh… I think you’re right.”

My friend couldn’t see it, but I smiled. She’s almost always silent when we’re all gathered. I’m happy to finally be able to talk to her. “You’re really fond with animals, aren’t you?”

“Oh, they’re my joy. I love them!” Fluttershy’s tone was slightly higher than usual. “I just want to lay on the grass surrounded by as many cute creatures as possible. If only I could take them all home, but I also know each of them has place in nature.”

I giggled. I could notice passion in my friend’s voice. “I’m an animal enthusiast as well. How’s Angel Bunny? Also, I was wondering… how did you get him?”

“He’s doing great. Oh, Twilight, I’ll never forget how we met. One day, while walking on the streets, I found a hungry stray dog. I entered the nearest pet shop to buy some dog food, when I noticed one of the bunnies watched my every move. When I approached, he hopped happily. It was love by first sight. I fed the stray dog and took Angel home. He’s such a cutie.”

“Aww, yes, he's a cutie. He's such an adorable boy.” I glanced down at Spike, who was wagging his tail while looking at me. “I got Spike during the holidays. My brother was about to move out and I was very upset, so he gifted Spike to me. We became inseparable since then.” My eyes became slightly wet upon remembering those holidays. Watching my brother leave was hard, but Spike helped me and still does. Just because I’m surrounded by friends now doesn’t mean I’ll forget about him. He’s my loyal companion, I’ll never abandon him.

“Aww, how nice! But, umm, Twilight…”

“Yes?” I focused my attention on the phone again.

“I would love to talk more. I really do, but… I need to find someone to help me this afternoon...”

“Oh, yes! I’m sorry. I hope Applejack is available. We’ll speak more another day.”

“Yes, thank you. Goodbye, Twilight.”

“Goodbye, Fluttershy.” I hung up, but my smile remained. My friends always filled my heart with warmth. I should probably try to call them next time, but I’m still a little shy. “Come on, Spike. I think I almost uncover the secrets of VCRs.”

“Yes, ma’am!” I giggled at my pet’s remark as I approached to my work table. It’s going to be a fun day!


It’s almost time. Cadence will be here any minute. The time I spent in my lab helped me to distract myself. I also was with my parents until they left and I already took Spike out for a walk. There’s no more distractions now. I already prepared tea. Am I shaking? I feel like I am.

“Twilight, calm down. It’s Cadence. She has always supported you and always will.” Yes, I’m shaking and Spike noticed. I sighed and leaned down to pet him.

“Thank you, Spike, but I’m not worried about what Cadence will think. I’m worried about what she will say.”

“I’m sure those feelings are normal. You enjoy hanging out with her, right?”

“Yes…”

“Then, there’s nothing to worry about.” Spike said as he waved his tail. “As long as you’re happy with her friendship, everything will be okay.”

“Y-Yes, you’re right.” His words brought a smile to my face. I scratched him on the back of his ear, making Spike move one of his rear legs up and down. I giggled, enjoying the moment, until someone rang the doorbell. “I-It must be Cadence…” I said as I stood back up, watching the door.

“Try to relax, Twilight. You don’t want to get her worried.”

I took a deep breath and walked towards the front door while Spike followed me. I grinned before opening the door. “Hi, Cadence.”

“Twilight, hello.” Cadence said before we hugged. “It’s so good to see you.”

“You too." I smiled at her. "Come on in, I prepared tea.” I said as I took my friend to the living room.

“Tea sounds wonderful.” Cadence said before looking down at my pet. “Hello to you too, Spike.”

“I’m happy to see you again, Cadence!”

When we reached the living room, Cadence went to sit while I looked for the teapot and two cups. I returned to serve us tea, giving my friend the first cup.

“Thank you, Twilight.” I smiled and served my own tea. I sat beside her afterwards. “How are you? Is your new school still treating you well?”

“It is. So far, no one has been mean to me. I’m… happy! Very happy. My friends are wonderful. I have never felt so welcome in my life. They’re always asking me to join them during lunch or to spend time outside school. It’s a dream come true.”

“I’m glad to hear it. The transfer was just what you needed.” Cadence took a sip of her tea before speaking again. “Now, tell me, when you called last week, you sounded troubled. Is there something I can help you with?” I was drinking from my own tea. I almost choked with it. I managed to swallow, but I coughed a bit. “Oh, I’m sorry, Twilight.”

“It’s fine.” I recovered my smile when I stopped coughing. I tried to speak again, but I got too nervous.

“Take your time. I won’t rush you.”

“Th-Thank you…” I said, as I tried to relax. “How do I begin?” This is it. Ask the question, Twilight! Now’s the time. “Cadence… I’m having… strange feelings for someone.”

“Hmm…” My friend was curious. She placed her tea cup on the coffee table and looked at me. “Good feelings or bad feelings?”

“That’s the problem. I-I don’t know. I need your help to find out what they mean.”

Cadence smiled. “Sure. Describe those feelings to me.”

I gulped and my heart started to race. I don’t know if I’m prepared for this. I glanced to Spike, who waved his tail to give me confidence. I looked back at Cadence and took a deep breath. “I-I feel… embarrassed, maybe? I can’t keep my eyes on my friend for long before turning my gaze away. My body also gets warmer the closer I am. These feelings scare me, but… I also enjoy them. Despite not knowing what’s happening to me, I find myself smiling by this sensation. I want to spend more and more time with my friend. I want to… get closer, and, and hug…” By now, I was feeling like I usually did while thinking about Aria. I couldn’t remove my smile from my face. I glanced at Cadence. She was smiling too. Smiling widely. I stopped talking and kept my eyes on her. Silence ruled the room. A long one. Then, all of the sudden, Cadence squealed and hugged me tightly. She caught me off guard.

“Ahhh! I don’t believe it! My little Twilight has her first crush!”

“C-Crush?” Then it’s true? I find Aria… attractive? “Are you sure?”

My friend looked at me and nodded excitedly. “Yes. Trust me, Twilight, I know about these things. I might not be in a relationship myself, but I enjoy playing cupid with my friends. I never thought I would one day help you with your love life. This… is... so exciting!” Cadence looked at me and realized I was feeling overwhelmed. She let me go and scooted aside. “I’m sorry. I got caught up by the moment.” She cleared her throat before speaking again. “So… who is it? Do I know your crush?”

“U-Umm…” A… crush… My suspicions were not mistaken. How am I going to behave in front of Aria now that I know what my feelings are? I'm sure they will get only worse. “Y-Yes, you do… I have a crush on… A-Aria.”

Cadence frowned. Is she disappointed? Oh, please, don’t be disappointed. “You mean Aria Blaze? The girl who attacked my students?” My heart sank. She’s not going to approve. I can’t believe this will end before it starts. Cadence was still looking at me. I couldn’t form any words, So I closed my eyes and nodded frantically. I couldn't stand seeing her disapproving face. I waited for her next words, but my friend said nothing else. Eventually, I gained courage to open my eyes and looked at Cadence. Her expression was different this time. She was… grinning? Yes, she was. As soon as I glanced at her, she hugged me tightly. Wh-What? “Oh, Twilight! You couldn’t have fallen for a better person!”

“Y-You’re okay with it?” I was still confused, but I was also feeling relief since Cadence was happy about it.

“Of course.” My friend released me from the hug but kept her hands on my shoulders. “Aria told me that she cares about you… a lot. ”

“She does?” A smile instantly appeared in my face as I blushed. With the mystery solved, I could now enjoy the warm feeling within my body.

“I thought you knew. She went with you to the Crystal Preparatory to support you, didn’t she? Only a good friend does that.” Cadence place a hand on mine before speaking again “And she’s one you want to keep around, Twily. If someone is going to look after you, it’s her.”

My heart was beating faster. I-I think my feelings are getting stronger. Aria… I’m so glad to have encountered with you. I’ll make sure I don’t do anything to destroy our friendship. I can’t lose my first crush. I was happy, but suddenly, a thought hit me. I got worried. “But… Cadence, what if she doesn’t feel the same way…?”

“Don’t think like that, Twilight. Plus, it’s still too soon to think about confessing. Take it slow. Keep spending time with her. Get to know her better. If your crush not only persists, but also grows, then we’ll worry about the next step, okay?”

“That… sounds logical.” She’s right. I’m thinking forward in time. I should focus on the present. I need to keep building my friendship with Aria first. “I haven’t seen her for a week, now. I should call her.”

“That’s a good idea.” Cadence smiled before rubbing my hair affectionately. “Feeling better?”

“Actually… Y-Yes.” I placed a hand on my heart to feel how fast it was beating. “I'm relieved to know what the reaction that I was feeling inside me was, but... I am still a little nervous. Talking to Aria has been a little difficult the last time we saw each other. Every time I think of her, I want to hug her, to touch her hand… I easily lose notion of time when she’s around. What can I do to avoid embarrassing myself?”

My friend chuckled. “Oh, Twilight. I’m afraid that the only advice I can give you is… focus. Try not to let your mind wander too much. Keep it busy. When she talks to you, concentrate on her words, nor her eyes. If you sit together to watch T.V., keep your eyes on the television as much as you can. It’s okay to glance as long as you’re cautious. When you hug her, be careful with the length. It’s easy to lose yourself on your crush’s arms.”

I paid close attention to Cadence’s pieces of advice. I won’t lose my first crush because of a silly mistake. “Thank you so much.” I said before standing up. My friend did the same. “Cadence, before you came, I was really anxious. But thanks to you I’m no longer as worried as I was before.”

“I will always be there to help you, Twilight.” Cadence said before hugging me. “I only want the best for you.”

“I know.” I said as I hugged her back “I’m really grateful for having you as my friend.”

Cadence released me from the hug and smiled widely. “Now, tell me, what else have you been up to? How’s your lab?”

“I can show you if you want. I have been doing some research on retro technology.”

“Please, give me a small tour.”

“Gladly.” I lead my friend to the lab while Spike followed us. I smiled at my pet and he waved his tail rapidly. I really had nothing to worry. I don’t mind having feelings on one of my friends. In fact, it just makes me even more happy. I’m imagining hugging Aria. Not any hug, but a more affectionate one. Just thinking about it fills me with joy. If only I could do it for real.

Author's Note:

I apologize for making you wait. I have been dealing with some issues in real life, but it all should be fine now :twilightblush:

Finally, the big talk between Cadence and Twilight has happened. It's now all crystal clear to the young bookworm. One down, one to go. Hurry up, Aria! :flutterrage:
Where's the love bee when you need one? :trollestia:

I want to thank Zalla661 for editing this chapter before its release! :pinkiesmile: