• Published 25th Oct 2018
  • 4,108 Views, 956 Comments

My Chemical Reaction - MysteriousStranger



Still recovering from the Midnight Sparkle incident, Twilight seeks to distract herself with a new book she's eager to read, but she soon discovers that she's not the only one interested in it.

  • ...
11
 956
 4,108

Unexpected Meeting

Aria's P.O.V.

Sunday, oh glorious Sunday! If not for one thing, today would be my favorite day of the week. This is one of the days we take out the trash. However, since it's not my turn, I am not as bothered as usual. But by Adagio's request, I tied up the trash bag before we headed towards Sonata, who was watching T.V.

“Okay, Sonata, it’s garbage day. You’re up.” My older sister said, while she pointed to the trash bag in my hand.

Sonata frowned and stood up, placing a hand on her hip and pointed at Adagio with her other hand. “Adagio! How dare you talk about Aria that way!” Wh-what?! Did she just…?! Oh, Sonata. Watch your own words or I'll throw you in the dumpster myself!

“I’m talking about the trash bag, Sonata.” Adagio crossed her arms. “Dispose of it.”

“Why me? I thought it was Aria’s turn!” My younger sister whined.

“I took out the trash last time.” I said between my teeth. It was easy to lose my patience with Sonata. “First it was Adagio, then it was me, and now it's you. Get on with it!” With my last words, I gave Sonata the trash bag. She took it and pouted before slowly walked towards the front door.

“The faster you walk, the sooner you’ll get it done!” Adagio said as I walked away from the room. “Where are you going?”

“I’ll wash my hands. I don’t want to stain the book Twilight lent me with dirt.”

“That sorceress one you’re so obsessed about?” I turned my head to see my older sister. She had a smug smile on her face.

“No, it's a different book. It’s about… astronomy? I think that’s the name.”

“Astronomy would make sense since you two did have that date under the stars last night.”

“It wasn’t a date! We just hung out!” Her comment made me blush hard. Adagio’s smirk got even bigger when she saw the reaction she was expecting.

“No need to get so defensive. I thought you liked her.” Adagio still had a smug look on her face.

“I don’t! Well, I do, but not in that way!”

“Oh, so you DO like her after all? I never thought you would ever consider someone a friend.”

“I-I’m…!” I can’t believe I fell for that one. My skin got even more red. “Why, you!” Adagio started to chuckle just as Sonata returned.

“What are you talking about?” My younger sister grinned, as usual.

“About Aria’s friend.” Adagio replied, smiling at Sonata.

“Oh! When are you going to invite her over again?!” Sonata got all excited all of the sudden. Damn it, Adagio!

“Whenever I want. I don’t need to tell you when I do.” I said, crossing my arms and looking away from them.

Adagio sighed before speaking again. “Don’t be like that, Aria. We just want to meet her. What’s wrong about that?”

I glanced from each of my sisters. They weren’t going to let the subject go, so I had to give them an answer. “If I bring her here while you’re around, you’ll overwhelm her with questions. She’s not the kind of person to corner.“ Although the real reason I haven’t invited Twilight over while they’re here was because I simply didn't want to, this was also true.

“We can be polite. We promise to be kind to her.” Adagio said.

“She didn’t seem so shy when I spoke to her last time. But we got this, Aria. Promise!” Sonata grinned as she spoke. If I keep saying no, they’ll keep insisting. I have no choice, have I?

“Fine…” I groaned. There’s no way I wouldn’t show my distaste. “I’ll… try to ask her over. When you’re around. Would you please stop bothering me now?”

“We will when we meet her.” Adagio smirked while Sonata giggled. I groaned again and walked out of the room. I need a break from them. Fortunately, Twilight has given me another mean to avoid my sisters’ questions. Let’s give this Astronomy thing a shot. Twilight made it sound interesting. Will it still be interesting if I only have the book and no stars nor friend with me?


Turns out, Astronomy can be fun even if all I have is a book. Not as much fun as last night, but I still learned a thing or two. If I keep reading, I’ll be able to spot some of the constellations on my own.

But after reading for a while, I needed a break. Sonata and Adagio are using the T.V., so all I can do is... go for a walk. I’m not fond of the idea, but it’s my only option.

“I’m going for a walk. I’ll come back… I don’t know, before dinner.”

“A walk? You?” Adagio raised an eyebrow at me. “Aria, are you feeling alright?”

“Whatever.” I put on my hoodie and walked towards the door, but Sonata turned around, placing her arms on the back of the couch.

“Winter ended like two months ago. Won’t you be hot wearing that?”

“I’m not leaving without it. I don’t care if it’s a hot day or not. Goodbye.” Before my sisters said something else, I walked out the house. Finally, some peace! My sisters were talking and laughing too loud. I couldn’t read in peace.

I am not used to go on walks, so I don't have a route. All I want is not to return too quickly. Downtown is a good place to start. The Greystone Park is around an hour from here, so that will do. Walking such a long distance… I think I never did this before. I’m already feeling the sweat. But I don’t care.

It was boring, to say the least. When I reached downtown, I did stop to check some shops just to do something. I had no money with me. It had been several months since the last time I was around here. I didn't return ever since… no! I must not remember that night. But… It has been a real long time. Thinking about it doesn’t irritate me as much as before. I still avoid Canterlot High School, though.

I needed to sit down to rest my feet. The closest place to find seats was Greystone Park. I’ll take fifteen minutes, maybe, and then I’ll return. My intention was to sit at the same picnic table I have like the other times I came here. However, it was taken by a couple. They were sitting on opposite sides and were holding their hands. The guy was probably flirting in whispers since the woman was giggling like an idiot. How disgustingly cheesy. I turned around and tried to find another seat, but they were all occupied. Just wonderful. I guess I’ll have to sit on the grass. I walked away as far from that couple as I could. I had my eyes focused on them so I could see when my view was blocked. By not looking where I was going, I bumped into someone.

“Hey, watch where you’re going, you… oh.” The person I crashed into was visibly angry, but she fell silent when she laid her eyes on me. I intended to scare her away, but instead, I gasped. This person, this girl… she was familiar. She had a silver hair and was wearing a magician hat and cape decorated with stars. She must have recalled my face too because she didn’t say another word. Instead, she stared at me. Her jaw was dropped and her eyes wide. Don’t tell me she’s from-

“Trixie, can I take this off now?” Another familiar voice. Someone covered with a blanket with the same decorations as the magician’s clothing approached. “Are you there? Don’t tell me you went to hide again. You won’t fool me twice!” The magician grabbed the blanket from her companion and took it off. The person who was under that blanket… I do remember her… Sunset Shimmer! “Hey, be careful You want to take my nose off or what?” Shimmer frowned at the girl beside her as she rubbed her nose. The magician, however, didn’t look at her. Instead, she pointed at me with her head.

“Does she… look familiar to you?”

“Who?” Shimmer glanced towards me and then gasped. “W-Wait, yes!” She scowled at me. “You're one of the Sirens, aren't you?”

“One of the Sirens?” The girl beside Shimmer said before slowly walking behind her to seek cover.

“Yes, I would never forget their faces.” The equestrian said without taking her eyes off me. “What are you doing back here? Revenge?”

“What I’m doing is none of your business, Sunset Shimmer.” I walked closer to them and they backed away in response. Rage was growing within me. “I was having a good day until you showed up. Get out of my damn sight or I’ll break your nose!”

“Don’t you dare threaten her!” The girl from behind Sunset had a brave moment and stepped forward. Her tone was angry, but her body was trembling in fear. Is she serious? Does she think she can face me like that? I don’t know what’s going through her head, but all I see is a simple lamb trying to stand up to a ferocious wolf. I closed my fist as I started to growl. As expected, the magician pathetically returned to her guardian dog, who got on guard. I really wanted to punch her. My anger demanded it. Because of her and her stupid friends, I had to survive on a house which is barely standing. My blood was boiling. I knew hitting them would fill me with pleasure. I had to do it! I raised my fist, cried in anger loudly and...!

I punched a tree which was next to me.

I started to pant as my frustration slowly vanished. No matter how much I wanted to punch Sunset Shimmer on her face… I couldn’t do it. If Twilight finds out I attacked someone else, I would make her unhappy. Especially someone from her new school. I couldn’t risk losing my only friend. I looked around. The entire park was looking at me. I grunted and removed my fist from the tree. It was bleeding. Just great. I’ll have to wash and bandage it. I turned around and realized the two annoyances were still there, glaring at me. “What are you two still doing here? Isn’t it clear enough that I want nothing to you with you?”

“I’m not leaving without answers.” Shimmer refused to remove her eyes from me. I seriously couldn't stand her.

“Answers?” I looked away from them. “There’s none. I’m trapped in this world and without magic. What do you expect me to do?”

“You’re saying you’re just living a normal life? Sorry, but I find that hard to believe.” Sunset Shimmer was still with her guard up, as if I could do anything with a bleeding hand.

“Don’t believe me if you don’t want to. It’s not my problem. I have had enough with schools and its stupid students. You’re as annoying as those rich idiots from that Crystal school… something.”

“You mean the Crystal Preparatory Academy?” Sunset Shimmer raised an eyebrow. “Why were you even there?”

“I was doing someone a favor. There! You have an answer. Will you leave me alone now?” I crossed my arms and kept avoiding looking at them.

“A favor? Wait…” The equestrian girl relaxed her body and, for a second, seemed to be in lost thought. Then, she pointed a finger at me. “Do you know Twilight Sparkle? Not the one who sang with us at the Battle of Bands, but a girl with thick glasses and hair tied up in a ponytail?”

I quickly glanced at them. My eyes widened. "N-No way... Don't tell me that... You're the friends she's always talking about...”

“You are her secret friend? Really?” Sunset Shimmer and her companion were now confused. “That doesn’t make any sense!”

“I don’t care if it doesn’t make sense to you. Things are going well. Don’t ruin this, Sunset Shimmer. I’m warning you.”

“If you’re corrupting Twilight's mind, of course I’ll stop you! You’re not exactly a good influence.”

“I don’t intend to corrupt her in any way. All I want is a quiet life with my sisters and my only friend. Damn it, my hand hurts!” I grabbed the wrist of my injured hand with my other hand. The blood was covering the knuckles. To hell with this. I’m leaving.

“There’s… a faucet over here.” I glanced at Shimmer when she spoke. She was more relaxed but was still frowning. “Follow us.”

My initial reaction was to decline, but I do need to wash this hand. I grunted and followed them. When we reached the faucet, I turned the valve to wash my bleeding hand. I could feel Sunset Shimmer and her companion behind me. Probably looking at each other. They better don’t expect a ‘thank you’ from me.

“Trixie, do you have napkins with you?” The equestrian said.

“I think I have some.” I heard footsteps fading away. The magician returned shortly after. I turned my head around and saw Sunset Shimmer walking towards me with tissues.

“Here you go. Keep pressing until…”

“Yeah, yeah.” I turned off the faucet and grabbed the napkins to use them as temporal bandages. “Do me a favor. If you see me again, just ignore me.”

“I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt only because you went with Twilight to the Crystal Prep.” Shimmer crossed her arms and was still frowning. “She speaks fondly of you and respects your privacy. Don’t betray her trust or you’ll be sorry.”

“Your threats mean nothing to me. Besides, there’s nothing for you to worry about.” I said before turning around and walking away. I didn’t look back, but I’m sure they would keep their eyes on me until I was out of sight. The Rainbooms… Of course Twilight would be friends with those girls! That’s just my luck.


“Welcome back, Aria.” Adagio received me with a smile, but her expression changed when she saw my bad mood. “Something happened?” Her eyes shifted to my bandaged hand. “Care to give me an explanation?”

“Where’s Sonata?” I asked after taking a look around. She was nowhere to be seen nor she came to give me one of her cheerful welcomes. Which I’m not exactly missing.

“She went to the store.” My older sister said before crossing her arms. She had a worried expression. “Don’t dodge my question. What’s going on with you, Aria?”

“I just stumbled across two of Twilight’s friends. I hit a tree to avoid punching them. Take a guess who they are.” Anger was clear in my voice.

“We don’t know many people here, so… the Rainbooms?” I growled as I nodded. Adagio’s eyes widened, then she smiled and started to laugh out loud. I looked at her. One of my eyes was twitching. What’s so funny? “I-I’m sorry, Aria. But you have to admit it’s a little bit funny. I mean, what are the odds?!” My older sister said before laughing again.

“It’s not!” I grunted and tried to go to my room, but Adagio called me after her laughter died.

“W-Wait!” I glanced at her. Her mocking expression was gone. “Does this mean you’ll stop seeing Twilight?”

I must admit, I didn’t think about that. Still seeing Twilight meant that I would most likely encounter her friends at one point. But even after learning who her friends are… I still enjoy spending time with Twilight. Sunset Shimmer mentioned that Twilight spoke well of me and never revealed my name. She respects my privacy. There's no way I'm going to stop seeing her. “Who said anything about breaking contact? Just because Twilight’s my friend, it doesn’t mean I have to be friends with everybody.” After giving my sister the answer she wanted, she smiled and walked towards me.

"I'm glad to hear that. Now, allow me to treat that hand of yours before anything." I nodded and followed Adagio. After she's done with my hand, it will be time for a book. Young Sorceress Academia is calling me and it’s just what I need to brighten my day.

Author's Note:

Oh, Aria. That’s what you get for getting to close to hostile territory alone :trollestia:

Will Sunset keep Twilight’s friend a secret? :rainbowderp:

I want to thank Zalla661 for editing this chapter before its release :twilightsmile:

Link to the artwork I used as inspiration for the opening scene :ajsmug: