• Published 1st Aug 2012
  • 14,275 Views, 429 Comments

A Day With Dad - MyOpinionIsSuperior



Life is full of wonderful surprises. Our family can sometimes be one of them.

  • ...
13
 429
 14,275

Hush Now

Rainbow Blitz chomped down happily on the last bite of his waffle, syrup dripping from his chin as it joined the sticky puddle on his plate. Soarin’ skipped the process of adding toppings to his waffles, instead opting to take a bite and proceed to drizzle syrup straight from the bottle into his mouth. He shook a whipped cream can, adding the topping to join the half chewed sticky mess. Happy for the sugary dinner, Soarin’ contently chewed on his food, savoring the sweet tastes. His bliss was interrupted as an empty, sticky plate was slid under his nose. Rainbow Blitz looked at him with large, expecting eyes.

“Another waffle, Blitzy? That’ll be your third one!”

“You’re on your fifth Dad!”

“Yeah, well I’m bigger than you so I get more,” Soarin’ protested, whipped cream falling from his snout. He complied, placing another waffle on the sticky plate and slid it back toward his son using a stained foreleg. Raspberries and huckleberries plastered his fur, evidence of both his cooking and consumption. Rainbow Blitz didn’t fair any better. His fur stuck out in various places, berries of both varieties smeared over his face and mane from his messy eating. Both of their pale blue coats were stained various shades of fuscia and indigo, though they managed to keep the actual kitchen itself relatively clean. Blitz had volunteered to help clear the mess the cooking had created. Rainbow Dash was one pony neither of the two wanted to anger.

“Yeah, you’re bigger alright,” Blitz said cynically, jabbing his father in the gut for emphasis. He returned his attention to the razzleberry waffles, his eyes closed in smug confidence over his small verbal victory. Soarin’ started to glare threateningly until his eyes wandered to the whipped cream. Grabbing the can with a forehoof, he shook it and spoke out with an innocent tone.

“Would you like some whipped cream, Rainbow Blitz?”

“I already put some-“

*Phhhhhhssssst*

Blitz squealed as the whipped topping sprayed on top of his head. Soarin’ clutched the spray can in his hoof, smiling slyly as his son gawked at him in mute shock. His look of astonishment faded into a mischievous grin. Rainbow Blitz grabbed another can and shook it, popping the cap off as he flew at Soarin’.

“It is on now Dad!”

Soarin’ ducked instinctively as he heard the unmistakable sound of whipped cream being released from the can. Confusion crawled over his face as none of the topping flew overhead. Turning his attention back to Rainbow Blitz, Soarin’ gasped as the colt, now covered in more whipped cream than before, dive-bombed straight into him.

*Splat*

The whipped dairy topping scattered everywhere as Blitz kamikaze’d into his father. Both pegasus ponies skidded across the floor, creating a frothy trail on top of the clouds. Soarin’ slowly propped himself off the kitchen floor with a groan, dazed by the impact. Panic ebbed into his mind; he frantically looked around the kitchen, unable to spot his son. His worries faded as large glob of whipped cream jumped up and shook itself, revealing a light blue coat and a spectral mane and tail. Soarin’ craned his neck down, inspecting Rainbow Blitz for any signs of bruising or other injuries. Blitz looked up, his nose touching his father’s, and both sets of emerald eyes met. A smile crept across Soarin’s face and he began chuckling. His mild laughter was soon joined by Rainbow Blitz’s giggling, both sitting down as they laughed. Soarin’ allowed himself to calm down and steal a glance around the kitchen before wiping a tear from his eye.

“What do you say we get this mess cleaned up, Blitzy?”

Whipped cream dripped from Soarin’s mane, splattering onto Rainbow Blitz’s face. Two green eyes popped up from a layer of white, blinking away the dairy topping. Soarin’ scratched the back of his neck with a forehoof, a guilty smile laden on his muzzle.

“Aaaaand we should probably take a bath while we’re at it.”


“I can scrub my own back, Dad!” Rainbow Blitz whined.

“Yeah, you can, but if you do you’ll still have berries in your feathers,” Soarin’ retorted. He sat behind Blitz in the tub with a loofa in hoof, warm water rising barely above his flank. His son was up to his chin in water, blowing angry bubbles into the tub as the abrasive sponge scraped his fur and feathers the wrong way. Squinting his eyes, Soarin’ concurred that the stains had been properly removed from his little sons back and proceeded to use the loofa to stroke his plumage and coat in the right direction. Hoofsteps alerted the two to another presence in the bathroom. Turning their necks, Soarin’ and Blitz saw a smiling Rainbow Dash shaking her head in amusement. Her trademark saddlebag adorned her back, clasped shut by a seal resembling her cutie mark.

“You won’t even let the kid scrub his own back, Soarin’?”

“Mommy!” Blitz squealed, jumping out of the tub with a splash. Shaking himself off, he leapt into Rainbow Dash’s waiting forelegs, pulling himself into a sentimental, soggy hug, nuzzling into her fur. Dash cued Soarin’ with a dramatic wink. She looked down and addressed her affectionate son.

“Was a day with Dad really that bad, Rainbow Blitz?”

Blitz released himself and hovered at eye level, clasping Rainbow Dash’s cheeks with his forehooves.

“Bad? Bad?” he shouted. Enthusiasm laced the colt’s tone and expression. “It was totally awesome! He taught me a ton about flying, saved me from the camera ponies, took me to the fair after a really yummy lunch, and made me razzleberry waffles! We even saved some for you.”

“I saw,” Rainbow Dash replied, giving her son a kiss on the cheek. “And that was totally awesome of you guys to do that for me.”

“Oh! And I got story time too,” Blitz piped up. Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow as Soarin’ shifted uncomfortably in the tub.

“Oh really now? What story was that?”

“O-oh, just another flying story. Isn’t that right, Rainbow Blitz?” Soarin’ said nervously, hoping his son would catch a clue. He didn’t.

“What’re you talking about, Dad? It was about all that drama that happened when Mom got pregnant.”

“Really, Soarin’?” Rainbow Dash deadpanned. “You couldn’t pick a more embarrassing story about me?”

“I-uh, well you see I,” Soarin’ stuttered, unable to come up with an answer that would appease his wife. Her saddlebags caught his eyes’ attention. They lit up, hopefully finding a way out of his predicament.

“What’s in the saddlebags?” Soarin’ asked, desperately trying to change the subject. “I didn’t see you leave with those this morning.”

“You didn’t see me leave this morning at all, you big goof,” she responded dryly. “You were still sleeping quite soundly when I was heading out, so I decided to set your alarm clock for Annoyance O’ Clock.” She smirked as her husband’s expression fell into disgruntlement.

“If you must know,” she continued, looking at Rainbow Blitz this time and prodding him with a hoof. “I saw your little fiasco at the Canterlot Fair this afternoon. At first I was gonna step in and fix everything like mommies always do. But then I thought, ‘hey, what if I just step back and see what happens when Soarin’ has to fix a problem where bribing doesn’t work?’”

Soarin’ flushed as he used his hoof to make circular motions in the water, desperately avoiding eye contact from his family. Rainbow Dash grinned.

“I was so impressed with what I saw that I thought Princess Celestia might like to hear what you two learned today. I mean, it’s been yeaaaaars since any of us sent her a friendship report, and while it’d be more of a father-son report, I… well… you get what I mean. Point is, she agreed and wants each of you to write a report on what you learned today, and I want to deliver them. Got it?”

Soarin’ and Rainbow Blitz nodded obediently.

“Hey Mommy,” Blitz said, drawing her attention to him. “What’s birth control?”


The moonlit, tranquil atmosphere of the night sky was shattered by a piercing shriek.

SOOOOOOOOOOOARIN’!


Soarin’ sat in a rocking chair, tilting back as he finished the last characters in his letter to the princess. Rainbow Blitz worked on the floor, scribbling furiously as he signed off the letter. He stuffed the scroll into an envelope, licked the seal and placed it on a simple coffee table. Throwing his pencil down, Blitz pointed at his father with a smug grin.

“Ha! I finished my letter first Dad!”

“Nu uh,” Soarin’ teased back. “I finished a good second before you.” He placed his envelope on the table alongside Rainbow Blitz’s.

“Did not!”

“Oh yeah?” Soarin’ said playfully. Grabbing his son, he blew a raspberry into the colt’s tummy, forcing him to laugh uncontrollably.

“Hahahaha okay! Okay hehehehehe!” He could barely speak between fits of laughter. “Hahahaha, you finished first! Please hahahahaha stop!”

Soarin’ ceased his tickle torture with a smug grin and placed Blitz on his lap. He eyed the envelopes, his curiosity peaking for whatever message Rainbow Blitz had inscribed.

“Soooo, what’d you write to the Princess, Blitzy?” He asked whimsically.

“Stuff.” Blitz replied dryly, his cheeks forming a faint blush. As Soarin’ reached for the envelope, Rainbow Blitz jabbed him in the gut with an elbow.

“You don’t get to read mine unless I get to read yours!” He pouted. “It’s not fair.”

Soarin’ blinked and smiled, withdrawing his hoof. Leaning back, he began humming a familiar tune and started to rock back and forth. Soarin’ cradled his son from instinct as nostalgic memories resurfaced, much to the colt’s annoyance.

“What’re you doing?” Blitz asked accusingly.

Soarin’ paused for a second before continuing the rhythmic rocking motion. He swallowed the lump in his throat.

“I always used to rock you to sleep with a lullaby when you were a foal,” he said with a sad smile. Soarin’ cleared his throat and began the gentle tune he had been humming before.

“~Hush now, quiet now, it’s time to lay your sleepy head. Hush now, quiet now, it’s time to go to bed~”

“I’m not a foal anymore, Daddy,” Blitz interrupted. A painful silence followed; the two locked eyes, four pools of emerald breaming with overflowing emotions. Rainbow Blitz broke the contact as he closed his eyes and gave a small smile. Nuzzling into Soarin’s chest, he continued. “I didn’t ask you to stop.”

Soarin’ blinked back tears as he beamed with fatherly love. Any remaining guilt he had felt that day fleeted away, and he began the rocking motion once again.

“~Drifting, off to sleep, the exciting day behind you. Drifting off to sleep, let the joy of dream land find you…”


Rainbow Dash scraped the last crumbs off of her plate with her tongue. While her family had left her plenty of razzleberry waffles, plenty wasn’t enough for a daredevil deprived of her favorite breakfast meal, regardless of when it was eaten. Trotting out of the kitchen, she bounded down the hallway, eager to finish her day. Dash entered the living room in a gallop, only to skid to a halt at the scene before her.

Soarin’ slept sitting up, his head lolled onto a shoulder. A foreleg draped over their sleeping son, his muzzle resting gently on his father’s chest. Dash tip-hoofed across the room, gingerly picking up the letters without making a sound. She retreated the same way, turning around once to take in the scene and imprint it into her memory. Well, maaaaybe I want more than just memory…

Neither pegsus pony stirred from their slumber as a flashing light went off, capturing the moment forever.