• Published 1st Aug 2012
  • 14,294 Views, 429 Comments

A Day With Dad - MyOpinionIsSuperior



Life is full of wonderful surprises. Our family can sometimes be one of them.

  • ...
13
 429
 14,294

Fair

“Soooooo booooring!”

“Shtand shtill Blishy!”

Soarin’ gripped Rainbow Blitz’s tail in his teeth, preventing the colt from flying off to find any way to relieve his boredom. While standing in line for the Canterlot Fair wasn’t either pony’s idea of a good time, Blitz’s fiddling was threatening their anonymity as his beret wobbled precariously on his head. Soarin’ had taken Pony Joe’s advice and purchased a hat to hide his son’s vibrant mane. While Rainbow Blitz wasn’t too thrilled about hiding his hair under a foreign fashion statement, the brown bowler his father adorned looked silly enough to appease him into wearing it. Soarin’ spit out Blitz’s tail as the colt turned around to speak up.

“But Daaaaaaaddyyyyyyyy,” Blitz whined. “I gotta move! I gotta fly! This is way too boring; how much longer do we have to wait?”

“You sound just like your mother,” Soarin’ deadpanned. Rainbow Blitz gave him a smug smile, taking the statement as a compliment. “ As I’ve already said three times, we’re next up. Now stand in front of me so nopony can see your rainbow tail.” He paused, giving his son a smirk. “That is, unless you’d like to be mobbed by the photographers again.”

Rainbow Blitz dropped straight to the ground, grumbling quietly to the dirt. With a satisfied smile Soarin’ walked him up to the ticket booth.

“How many today sir?” The booth pony asked robotically.

“Two. One adult, one child,” he replied.

“All right sir, your total will be twelve bits.” Soarin’ brought himself closer as he pushed the bits through the gap under the window. The booth pony paused as he reached for the money and stared intently at Soarin’. “Say, you wouldn’t happen to be-“

“NOPE,” Soarin’ bellowed. “I’VE HEARD THAT A LOT, THANK YOU FOR THE COMPLIMENT.”

“Oh, my mistake sir. Here are your tickets.”

Soarin’ yanked the tickets from the gap, grabbed Rainbow Blitz and bolted his way to the security line.


“Helloooooo? Anypony home?”

Rainbow Dash’s voice echoed through the house, tapering until there was nothing but silence. She had come home after her friends returned to their busy schedules. Unfortunately for the six mares, life did not put itself on hold and their responsibilities needed tending to. Well, since nopony is home, maybe I can take a nap…. unless Blitzy wants me to think nopony is home. I can’t nap nowadays without eatin’ a hoof full of shaving cream.

Cautious of the continued silence, Rainbow Dash began scanning her surroundings for any clues to the whereabouts of her husband and child. So weird. I expected Blitzy to come running up and tell me about how awesome his lesson was. Or lame, Soarin’ could’ve put him through a lecture about proper flying forms to maximize aerodynamic efficiencies… oh Celestia, I’m such an egghead now. At least nopony can read my-

Rainbow Dash’s train of thought was interrupted as she caught sight of a paper attached to the refrigerator door. Walking to the fridge door, she read the hastily written note,

Flying lesson went great, gone to Canterlot Fair for a fun day.
Lot’s of love,
Soarin’

Rainbow Dash’s neutral expression bent upward as she smiled wider and wider, until she burst out laughing. Trying her best to control herself, Dash reduced her laugh to a giggle before thinking out loud.

“Hehehe, oh Soarin’, hehehe, you have hehehehe NO idea what you’ve gotten yourself into, hahahahahehehehe.”


“Another soda Blitzy? That has to be your fifth one.”

Rainbow Blitz clutched the lemon-lime soda defensively. Sporting a sheepish grin he stuttered a response.

“W-well, it’s hot outside Dad! This is my last one, I promise.” He paused, before Soarin’ gave him a frustrated groan as he brought his hoof to his forehead.

“Your mother is going to kill me for letting you have that much sugar." Dropping his hooves, he gave his son a quizzical look. "Why did you get lemon-lime Blitzy? I thought root beer was your favorite.”

“Oh, well, it’s just kind’ve a lemon-lime day, y’know? Felt like something different.”

He flashed his father a wide smile happy enough to give Pinkie Pie competition. Soarin’ sighed, accepting defeat despite his instincts telling him his son was planning something.

Their time at the fair had, so far, been very enjoyable. Sure, it was hot outside, and the numerous anthills in the dirt were annoying, but the fair employees had been very accommodating. Pegasus workers placed clouds in a concentrated area, allowing customers to cool off in the mist as they passed through them.

The rides seemed stable enough and the food was palatable. Soarin’ mentally complained that he couldn’t have most of it due to the high sugar content of the food and the high tattle content of his kid, but he enjoyed his hay fries when Rainbow Blitz allowed him to put ketchup on them. Soarin’ wasn’t proud that he was stooping to using condiments to satisfy his sugar cravings, but he took what he could get. It was an embarrassing victory, but a victory nonetheless.

Rainbow Blitz had even been on his best behavior, always saying please and thank you and giving Soarin’ hugs and kisses in public…
Wait a minute… he’s definitely planning something. Oh man, I better put an end to whatever it is before he makes somepony mad or-

Rainbow Blitz’s awkward fidgeting interrupted Soarin’s paranoid assumptions. The colt looked extremely uncomfortable with his back legs crossed as he hopped up and down.

“Gotta go potty again, champ?” Soarin’ amusingly asked.

Rainbow Blitz nodded, prompting his father to chuckle.

“Well what’d you expect after downing all those sodas? Make it quick Blitzy, we got a lot of rides to ride and we can’t keep stopping for you to go to the bathroom each time.”

Blitz scurried off towards the restrooms. Making sure he was out of Soarin’s sight range, he gave up his charade and walked comfortably towards the restrooms. Rainbow Blitz gave a double take in both directions to make sure nopony could see him before trotting around the restrooms until he reached a gap in between the fence and the building. Cackling, he undid the top of his soda and began pouring.