• Published 25th Apr 2018
  • 14,923 Views, 916 Comments

An Overlord Apart - OblivionShadow



An emissary is needed to visit the Northern borders of Equestria. Beyond them is the Netherworld Empire. An Overlord awaits.

  • ...
23
 916
 14,923

PreviousChapters Next
27: A Gala's duel...

Celestia stared as the Overlord stood at her former student’s side. At her side, she could see her sister staring and looking from the pair to her elder sister. Both of them were at a loss for words as he stood within the entryway. The Sun Princess could see that he held no concern for the fact that he was in their home and seemed to have taken the change of scenery with the same grace as she held for the castle. His body language gave away nothing that she could see. She knew admittedly little about him personally and only knew that she had been told by Luna.

“Sister? What do we do? I never thought he would come here.” Luna whispered to her.

“I am not sure. He has always declined the invitations to any event we have sent him. He did not send a refusal to attend to this one now that I think of it. I think we may have been set up.” She replied quietly.

“What?”

“Twilight did not tell us that he was going to act as her plus one. All of the invitations have a plus one if you wish to use it as one and she has done exactly that.” Celestia giggled quietly behind a hoof. “Sly little Princess.”

“But how could he have gotten…” Luna paused as a guard came up to them and she looked to him. “Yes?”

“Sorry to interrupt but we have a situation.” He bowed his head in apology as he spoke to them.

“What is it?” Celestia asked him.

“There is a very large golden dragon in front of the castle.” He replied quickly.

“A golden dragon?” Luna said to him.

“Yes. Princess Twilight and her guest arrived on it and it is now off to the side waiting for them to come back.” He replied.

“How do you know it came with them?” Luna asked.

“They stepped off its head when it laid down for them to get off and enter the Gala.” He admitted to her.

Luna's ears pinned for a moment as she listened to him. Celestia turned her head to the side slightly as the guard spoke. She knew that her eyes had to be wide as the fact that Twilight and the Overlord had ridden a very large golden dragon to the Gala. The fact that it had gone unnoticed when approaching Canterlot was something to address later. Her next thought was how it had gotten into Equestria in the first place.

“Did they say anything about the dragon?” She asked.

“No. It seemed to know what to do and is now laying down off to the side napping.” He replied to her.

“Napping?” Luna asked, her tone shocked. “How can it be napping? It’s in the middle of Canterlot.”

“I am not sure Princess Luna but that’s exactly what it is doing.” He replied.

Both Princesses were still as the facts became clearer to them. Celestia could feel the shock of what she had heard washing over her as she looked at the nervous guard with them. “Has it hurt or threatened anypony?”

“No. It picked up a carriage that it carried here that housed Princess Twilight’s friends and walked off to the side and laid down. Hasn’t moved since just laying quiet.” He told her.

Luna was quiet as she also seemed to be processing the facts as they were given to her. “So we can assume that the dragon belongs to him. But how did it get here without us knowing?”

“I do not know. All I know is that it came from the same direction as Ponyville.” He admitted.

Celestia’s head went up as a laugh broke from her. “That’s why she sent us the message about not being surprised about anything flying this way from Ponyville. It’s fine. We can assume the dragon belongs to her date for this evening.” She assured the guard who looked relieved. “Leave it alone and let it nap as it wishes.”

Luna looked at her as she smiled and the guard went back to his duties. She smiled at her sister and shook her head in laughter. She looked back to the Overlord and she felt her eyes widen once more as the pair began to walk more into the room. Luna stared as a slight smile crossed the Overlords mouth as he regarded his surroundings.


Hunter’s eyes fell on the monarchs of Equestria as they gaped at him in the doorway. He shifted and Twilight began to pull him slowly towards the pair of gaping Alicorn’s. He said nothing and kept in step with her as they walked. Ponies got out of the way of the pair as they walked through the attentive crowd. Both of them stared openly as they stopped in front of them.

“Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, I present Overlord Hunter Flame of the Netherworld Empire,” Twilight said to them, her tone formal.

Celestia shook her head slightly and regained her composure through her clear shock. “Welcome to Equestria Overlord.”

“I thank you for the welcome.” He said to her as he released Twilights foreleg.

“Twilight. You did not mention him coming with you.” Luna said to the younger Alicorn.

“He asked me not to. I agreed that it should be a surprise.” She admitted to them.

“Quite the surprise. We had no idea that you would be attending this year’s Gala.” Celestia said to him.

“I was asked by Princess Twilight personally. So I figured it could not hurt to accept her invitation.” He replied easily.

“Well, we cannot thank you enough for attending,” Celestia said to him.

“We agree with our sister. You are more than welcome and we hope you enjoy the Gala.” Luna said to him.

“Thank you for the kind words,” Hunter replied to them.

He allowed them to speak back and forth with Twilight as he listened easily. He looked around him as the nobles around him set their gaze on him. His armor shone in the bright lights and its worth was obvious to those who saw it. The crown he wore was easily seen and showed his status among them. As he refocused on the conversation Celestia was speaking of what his plans were for after the Gala.

“I had thought to get a tour of Equestria. Having never been here I find that I do not know the geography as well as I would like.” He admitted.

“You are welcome to peruse any books and maps we have in the castle at your leisure,” Celestia said to him. “I am certain Twilight would be able to show you around as well.”

Luna nodded as her sister spoke. “I must ask about how you arrived. Did you truly bring a dragon to Canterlot?” Celestia asked with a look at the Overlord.

“He is mine,” Hunter confirmed as the mare smiled.

“Quite the entrance,” Luna said to him.

Twilight gave a wide smile as she tried not to laugh openly and Hunter shifted to take the weight off one hind hoof. “As I mentioned to Twilight I am an Overlord and if I wish to be ignored then I will be, otherwise I am not to be ignored.” He replied.

Celestia stared at him for a moment as he spoke and then nodded to him. “I doubt we would have ignored you even without the dragon.” She admitted.

“Perhaps not.” He agreed and looked around him. “Though I have no trouble attracting the attention of a room of ponies.” He said to her.

Twilight looked up as the eyes of many nobles had fallen on him and she cringed slightly under the attention. “I did not think you would draw this much attention.” She whispered to him.

“I am not native to this land and I have you on my foreleg. We are guaranteed more than the normal amount of attention.” He replied.

Celestia nodded in agreement. “He’s right, Twilight.” She teased gently.

Hunter was quiet as he allowed Twilight to come to terms with the attention he had gathered them. His red eyes fell on the crowd and he could gauge the type of attention he had garnished from the looks on the faces of the nearest ponies. Many looked at him in curiosity while others did not seem to be certain of him. A couple stood out to him by the look of anger or disgust on their faces. He ignored them as Twilight gently [pulled him away from the Alicorn’s and toward her friends.

“I have had a few ponies asking about the dragon that carried us here,” Rainbow said to him.

“And?” He replied to her. “Would you have rather walked?”

“I told them it was your dragon and you gave us a ride.” She admitted with a shrug. “They looked a bit shocked.”

“Ah gotta admit ya know how ta make an entrance.” Applejack said to him with a laugh.

Hunter chuckled and nodded to the orange mare. “An Overlord must be able to command the room no matter the situation he finds himself in. That was one of Gnarls many lessons for me when I was young.”

“Well, ya do.” She chuckled in reply.

Around them, ponies shuffled around and got out of the way as the group began to move through the room. Fluttershy stood close by him as they moved and he allowed her to remain in place. Twilight nudged him as they walked and he gave her a gentle push back. She smiled at him as they came to stand close to one of the many tables that held food and drink. Hunter’s magic held a cup of punch toward Twilight, who accepted the drink from his magic and sipped it. Music flowed over him as his ears flicked to listen and he looked up as a dance that he was familiar with began. He pushed away from the table and turned to face the Alicorn. He held out a hoof and smiled at her.

“A dance, My Lady?” He asked her and he watched as she blushed.

She held out her hoof and he took it gently as he led her onto the dance floor. He reached out and held her hooves as he maneuvered them into place and they joined the dance. Twilight followed him as he led her through the steps. She smiled and a laugh broke from her as they moved easily.

“You learned to dance?” She teased.

“I had to learn to avoid making fools of both of us.” He admitted to her.

“Wow.” She said to him as he spun her away from him and then back to his side.

He didn’t notice when the floor cleared and only they were left as he spun the Alicorn Princess to the music. His hooves moved through the steps he knew and Twilight followed him easily. As the music went on Twilight’s smile only grew as she began to giggle and laugh as they danced. The music peaked and he spun her away and then back as he dipped her back and she blushed as he held her tightly in place. He pulled her up as the sound of applause caught his ears. He pulled Twilight back upright as a blush spread over her features and she tried not to hide behind him as he took her foreleg to guide her off the dance floor.

“You didn’t say you knew how to do the full dance.” She said to him.

“You didn’t ask.” He replied. “You were able to keep up.”

“That’s not the point.” She teased and bumped his shoulder with her own.

“Yes, it is.” He replied and pushed her gently back.

Ponies complimented their dancing as they made their way back to the others. Hunter could feel the gazes of ponies on his back as he stood with the others and let Twilight hide behind him. Applejack and the others were still clapping their hooves as they stood with them.

“Quite the show,” Fluttershy said to them. “I didn’t know you knew how to dance like that Twilight.”

“I don’t.” She admitted. “He did it all. I know the basics and just followed his hooves when he did more than the basics.”

Hunter chuckled and shook his head. “Something you don’t know?”

She looked flustered for a moment as he teased her gently. They talked quietly amongst themselves as Hunter began to look more to the hall they stood in. It was clearly a large ballroom that had been tended to well give its size. He looked to the servants that walked around and he could see that some of them carried more than just juice. He was not normally one to try the wine that was not of his own vineyards but he had to admit that he wouldn’t mind trying what they called a good wine here.

“I’ll be right back. Would you care for some wine?” He asked the mares as he backed up from them.

“Sure,” Twilight said to him with a smile.

Rarity and Applejack took him up on the offer while the others declined and he left the group for the right table. Ponies got out of his way as he moved and he allowed a slight grin to color his muzzle as they moved from him. He had no doubt that the look of him was more than what they were used to. A tall stallion in armor was more than they were used to. The Overlord reached the table and his magic gripped three glasses. He turned to go back and was met with a small group of ponies.

“Pardon our intrusion but may we have a moment with you?” A pale cream mare asked of him.

“A moment is all I can spare.” He replied easily.

The mare smiled as she regarded him. “The announcer mentioned that you are from a different kingdom than Equestria. May I inquire as to what kingdom?”

“The Netherworld Empire is on the farthest northern border with Equestria.” He informed her.

“Ahh, that explains why I was not certain of the name of it.” She admitted with a wave of her hoof. “Why have we not seen you before now?”

“I was invited before but chose not to attend due to scheduling conflicts.” He replied with a dismissive shrug.

The small group nodded and seemed pleased with his answer. He looked past them and saw Twilight leave the room far to the back. He moved around the group and walked back to Rarity and the others. He could see the sour looks that the mares shared between him as he rejoined them. He gave the white mare her wine and set his and Twilights aside.

“Where is Twilight?” He asked them.

“She went to speak with Prince Blue Blood. He claimed to have important information for her.” Rarity growled. “Be careful of that one.”

“Oh?” Hunter questioned.

“He’s a rude and uncouth stallion.” She went on.

“He’s mighty full of himself. Seemed pretty upset about something.” Applejack explained.

Hunter could feel a sense of annoyance washing against him as he waited for the Princess to return. Several minutes ticked past him and he backed up from the others to follow where he had last seen her. He angled his way through the crowd and past several ponies who tried to stop him to talk. He simply looked down at them and they backed off to allow him by. His height and the bright glow of his eyes allowed him to move through sheer intimidation if need be. His ears flicked forward as he reached the back door and slipped through it. He listened as he moved through the lush garden that stretched out ahead of him. He could hear muffled voices and he followed the sound. As he drew closer he could hear Twilight voice as she spoke.

“And I will tell you again. It’s not your concern who I bring the Gala.”

He paused as she spoke and waited to make sure he was heading in the right direction as another spoke up in reply to her.

“It is all of our concern when you bring some foreigner to the Gala instead of staying with your own kind.”

Hunter could feel his hackles rise as the other spoke. He began to move once more as Twilights voice caught his ears.

“My own kind? And what does that even mean?”

He could hear the outrage in her voice as she spoke. His hooves carried him around a set of large bushes as he kept walking toward the sound of her voice.

“I mean the ponies of Equestria. Not some foreign clod horse. There is plenty of bachelor stallions that are more suited to your station here.”

“Hunter is not a clod horse. He is the sole ruler of the Netherworld Empire and is my date to the Gala. He was kind enough to agree to accompany me and you are ruining my night as it is. There are no ponies that are equal to my station except for him. If you want to know the truth even if he was not the KING of his kingdom I would have asked him anyway. Excuse me but I have a date and a Gala to get back to.”

Hunter paused at the enraged tone of the mare and he could hear her hoof boots on gravel as she began to come toward him. He looked ahead and he could see her shadow in the light and he began to walk toward her as the sound of fabric tearing caught his attention. He heard Twilight shriek as her shadow was pulled back and out of the light that he could see. He quickened his pace as the sound of a scuffle urged him forward.

“Let go of me.” The Alicorn mare snarled.

“You may not think you are his better but I will make you understand that you belong among your own ponies.”

Hunter broke into a trot as he came around the corner to see a pony in a tuxedo pushing Twilight as her horn charged. He could see the fear in her eyes as he charged into the light to help her. His hoof fell on the flank of the stallion trying to push her and he yanked back.

“Get off her.” He snarled and tossed the stallion to the ground behind him.

He looked at Twilight and he could see that part of the back of her dress had torn and was now on the ground behind her. Her horn went dormant as she saw him and she allowed him to pull her close to him.

“Are you okay?” He asked her as he pushed her gently away from him after a moment to look her over.

“I’m okay. He tore my dress but that was all he did.” She admitted. “Good timing.”

“I saw you leave and the girls told me who you were with so I chose to follow when you did not return.” He explained to her and she nodded.

Hunter spun to face the offending stallion after ensuring that the mare was safe and he kept her behind him and out of harm’s way. The other stallion got to his hooves and regarded the Overlord and the mare behind him.

“Princess Twilight. You and I are not done speaking.” He began only to stop as Hunter snorted.

“She is done talking with you. You chose to attempt to harm her and I will not allow that to go unanswered.” Hunter snarled.

“You have no place here and can go back to the hole you crawled out of. You do not belong among gentle ponies.” Blue Blood sneered.

“Do gentle colts attempt to assault mares in the gardens of castles?” Hunter replied, his expression curious. “Last I checked assaulting a mare that has tried to walk away is not what most gentle colts do in the situation you found yourself in.”

Blue Blood stared, wide-eyed as the Overlord spoke. “You cannot…”

“Enough. You are a disgrace and I think we are done with you. I will ensure that her fellow Princesses are told of your faults and hopefully they will understand what to do with you in this situation. In my kingdom I would have killed you for this transgression, be thankful.” Hunter snarled out as he turned back to Twilight, his horn alight.

His magic covered the torn part of her dress and it mended under his magic. Twilight smiled at the repaired dress and a sigh pulled from her as she looked back to the Prince. Her face fell for several seconds as she looked at him.

“I am more than disappointed in you Prince Blue Blood. I will never forget this.” She growled as they began to move past him.

Hunter kept himself in between the shell shocked stallion and the mare. He refused to allow him to get near her again. He could feel a sense of magic wash over him and his horn lit with his own aura as he spun back. His rump pushed Twilight back to keep her out of harm’s way as Blue Blood sent a blast of magic in his direction. Hunter erected a shield in front of himself and the blast died out as it struck it. The black stallion was silent as he regarded the other and charged his own horn.

“Hunter no. Please.” Twilight tugged on his shoulder as she spoke. “He’s not worth it.”

He allowed his horn to go dormant as he listened to her. “If you insist. Should he attack again you cannot stop me.” He said to her and she nodded as she looked past him.

“Prince Blue Blood. You are trying to fight a stallion that has spent all his life in one battle or another. Pushing him too far means that the dragon that rests out front of the castle will come to his defense. I would advise that you do not push this further.” She said to him as she drew up at Hunter’s side.

“You would betray Equestria for him?” He snarled.

“I am not betraying anypony. It’s not like I chose him or Equestria, I brought him to the Gala with me as my date and friend. You have no business trying to tell me who I can and cannot date. Hunter is more than you will ever be.” She snarled viciously as she spoke. “You are only a Prince because Princess Celestia adopted you as one. Without that, you are nothing in front of a born Overlord and King.”

Hunter fought back a laugh at the look of shock and horror that crossed the arrogant ponies face. The other horn fell silent as his mouth fell open at the mare’s words. Hunter cast a glance to the mare and he could see that anger behind her eyes. She stood tall and proud at his side and he reached out a hoof to her and she threaded her foreleg to his and he turned them to leave the Prince behind them.

“Nicely done.” He whispered to her.

“I can’t believe him.” She muttered back to him. “The nerve.”

“You set it straight and if he does manage to get me to fight him then I might call in Sorkeno just to make your threat real.” He said to her and she spun to look at him, alarm in her eyes. “If he manages to get me into a real fight I might.”

Twilight looked nervous as her eyes went wide and her horn lit up. A shield went over them as a blast of magic went over them. Hunter spun under the shield to see Blue Blood standing behind them. Hunters looked back to Twilight who looked even more furious than before and her eyes connected with his as the shield faded. Hunter’s horn lit with his red aura as he turned to face the Prince.

“That was the last mistake you will ever make,” Hunter growled as he charged his own horn.

“I challenge you to a duel.” He replied with a cocky smile.

“A duel? Are you serious?” Hunter looked to the other stallion. “And what do I earn upon my victory?”

“You may stay at the Gala. Should you lose then you have to leave and stay in your own backwater.” Blue Blood informed him.

Hunter said nothing in reply for a second as Twilight set a hoof on his hip. He glanced back to her and rolled his shoulders. “As you wish.”

Blue Blood looked pleased as Hunter tipped his alight horn to the Alicorn Princess and she nodded as she moved off to the side. Hunter focused on the Prince who stood in front of him. Hunter shook himself and the light from his horn grew brighter as he prepared for the duel. Prince Blue Blood charge his horn as Hunter squared off with him.

“When I win you leave her alone and then you beg her forgiveness for the transgressions you committed against her.” He snarled and tipped his horn at the Alicorn mare.

“So be it.”

Blue Blood fired a short blast of magic and Hunter backflipped away from it and then charged the other pony. His horn fired a blast of his own and Blue Blood managed to dodge it as Hunter contoured his body and he swept Blue Bloods hooves out from under him with his leg. The Prince rolled to the side as Hunter descended on him. His hooves slammed into the ground, sending gravel onto the rolling Prince.

Magic charged in his horn as he sent a magical blast raining onto the Prince who took the blast to the shoulder and rolled to his hooves from it. Hunter’s horn charged and he sent several beacons of magic into the air to rain down on the now overwhelmed Prince of Equestria. The stallion yelped as one struck his flank and he was thrown to the ground as a blast from Hunter's horn sent him rolling.

“Give up, Prince.” Hunter sneered. “Even at your best, you cannot fight me. I can do this all night.”

Blue Blood rolled to his hooves and his horn lit as Hunter fired more into the air and he watched as the eyes of the other went wide as they began to rain down on him once more. The pony looked up as the first hit the ground beside him and he took to his heels as Hunter watched him. The black stallion was quiet as the Prince raced around him. He almost felt bad trouncing him as he was but the pony had started this duel and he planned to make him regret his choice. Attacking Twilight had been his first mistake, attacking him had been his second and then challenging him to a duel had been the final mistake.


Twilight watched as Hunter barely moved from his place as Blue Blood ran around him. She knew that Hunter was in no danger from Blue Blood but she still wanted it over sooner rather than later. She watched as Hunter simply turned in place and his red eyes watched Blue Blood closely. She had no way of knowing what he was planning but she startled as he teleported to land in front of the running pony and she blinked as Blue Blood collided almost violently with the armored Overlord. She heard the Prince yelp as he fell to the ground in front of Hunter and his eyes were wide as he looked up at him.

“You have lost more than once already. Yield.” Hunter said.

His voice slid over her and she shivered in place at the tone of his voice. She had heard him use the same tone many times in his own kingdom and now she had heard it on her own. The Alicorn was quiet as Blue Blood stared up at the Overlord.


“In my kingdom, any who challenge me directly do not live to tell the tale. I realize that this is not my kingdom and you should be thankful of that detail. I have led legions and commanded dragons to combat and walked away the victor in more than my share of wars.” Hunter said to him, a hoof reached out and he gripped Blue Bloods face and angled it higher to look into his eyes. “You are nothing before me. I am an Overlord and I do not lose to pretend Princes.”

He released the Princes face and tossed him to the ground, allowing him to step over his body. He walked back to Twilight and held out his foreleg to her and she came to stand at his side once more. He began to walk away from the Prince and he saw Twilight look back, nervousness in her eyes.

“He will not get up again.” He said to her and she looked back at him as he spoke. “Trust me.”

“I do trust you. I don’t trust him.” She explained.

He nodded in agreement. “Neither do I. But he will stay down this time.” He assured her as they got closer to the Gala ballroom. “I hope our wine is still cold by the time we get there.”

She barked out a laugh at his comment and nuzzled his neck gently. “Hopefully.”


Hunter opened the door for her and she walked into the room ahead of him. They both went back to the others and he watched as Twilights magic picked up their drinks and chilled them with a spell. Hunter took his wine from her and took a sip from it as the others waited for either of them to explain why they had been gone for so long. He let the wine hover in his magic as he gave it a disapproving glance.

“It’s drier than I thought it would be.” He said to Twilight who nodded in agreement. “Perhaps I will gift a bottle of my wine to them in the hopes they can improve their own.”

The mares giggled as he spoke and Applejack finally looked at the mare and spoke up. “Where di ya all wander off to?”

Twilight sighed and shook her head. “It was Blue Bloods fault. He took offense at my choice of date for the Gala and wanted to speak to me about it.” She explained.

“Did ya tell him ta bug off?” Applejack grimaced.

“I did, but I put it in nicer terms," Twilight replied with a smile. “He was pretty upset about Hunter being here.”

“Are you okay dear?” Rarity asked her. “I know he can be a brute when it comes to his ego.”

“He did tear my dress when I tried to leave him behind.” She admitted and looked back to the tail of her dress. Rarity’s eyes were wide and she looked close to spinning the mare in place to look at the damage when the Alicorn went on. “Hunter already fixed the damage for me.”

Rarity breathed a sigh of relief and glanced to the stallion. “Did you put that horrid pony in his place?”

“I did. He challenged me to a duel over it.” Hunter admitted.

Rainbow snorted a laugh and looked at him. “Really?” He nodded in reply and she barked a loud laugh. “That was a bad idea.”

“He knows that now.” Hunter confirmed.

The mares all shook their heads and looked to the mare and stallion. “Well done Hunter dear. For coming to Twilight’s defense and putting that pony in his place.” Rarity praised.

Hunter nodded his head to her and took another sip of his wine. He blanked and set the wine glass down on the table. “I think I will switch to anything else.”

Twilight giggled and set hers down beside his. Hunter looked up as Blue Blood came back into the room and Hunters red eyes fell upon him, stopping the other stallion in his tracks. The Prince looked upset at the sight of the stallion and he froze in place.

“We might need to go and speak with Luna and Celestia about him.” He said as he kept his eye on the still frozen pony.

“Why?” Twilight asked him as she looked in the same direction and she saw the reason for his words. “Oh. Yeah, let’s do that. Excuse us girls.”

Hunter kept an eye on the stallion until Twilight had moved past him and they made for the front ballroom. His eyes scanned the room and he angled Twilight toward her fellow Monarchs. As they neared them Celestia looked up and her eyes fell on the pair of them and she met them in the middle.

“What brings you back in here? I saw you dancing Twilight. I was not aware you could dance so well.” She teased gently.

“I barely kept up with him.” She admitted with a laugh. “But we need to talk to you and Luna. We had a bit of a…ummm.”

“We had a run in with your Nephew Blue Blood.” Hunter spoke up for her. “I believe this needs to be spoken off quickly to avoid any issues while we are here.”

Celestia’s eyes took on a serious look at Hunters quick explanation. “Of course. Please, this way.”

She led them off to the side of the ballroom to a more private room. Luna trialed in after a short delay and looked at the pair as Twilight sighed.

“What did he do?” Luna asked, her tone blunt.

“He asked to speak with me privately and since Hunter was getting me a glass of wine I figured it would be quick and whatever he had an issue with I could handle quickly and get back to the Gala.” Twilight began. “As it turned out I was incorrect. He had taken offense at me bringing Hunter to the Gala as my date. He said that I should have brought a pony from Equestria that was closer to my station.”

Luna’s eye went wide as the youngest Alicorn spoke and Hunter watched as Celestia’s gaze took on a harder glint. “I believe he referred to me as a clod horse, if memory serves.” Hunter added and Twilight nodded.

“Yes. Your memory is perfect. I told him that it was none of his business who I brought to the Gala and started to leave him in the garden. He reached out and pulled me back into the garden, tearing my dress in the process.” She went on as they listened. “Hunter came upon us and he tossed Blue blood away from me and was able to repair the damage to my dress and start to get me away from him and then...”

“He did what?” Celestia interrupted.

“He pulled her back to him and tore her dress in the process. When I came upon them he was starting to push her back and out of the light of the garden. I acted as I saw fit and threw him away from her.” Hunter elaborated.

Luna looked even angrier as Hunter spoke and he watched as she looked to the doors as if she was about to storm through them on her own. “He was using violence to stop you from leaving him?”

Twilight paused at the wording and looked from the Moon Princess to Hunter. The Overlord pressed his side closer to her in silent support. “He didn’t hurt me but it was startling. I was going to teleport but Hunter got there first.” She explained.

“What happened next?” Celestia asked, her voice cold as it covered up the feeling of rage under it.

“Hunter got in between us and he tried to hit him with a couple of blasts of magic. I used a shield spell and so did Hunter so it never hit us. He challenged Hunter to a duel and lost…badly. After Hunter…trounced him, we came back in here. We stood with our friends for a few minutes when Hunter saw Blue Blood come back into the ballroom and recommended that we talk to you first, before Blue Blood can try to blame Hunter for anything.” She concluded and fell quiet.

“I see. I am sorry for what has happened Overlord. Please accept my most heartfelt apologies for how you were treated.”

“Apology accepted.” Hunter replied to her and he could see Luna breathe out a sigh as he spoke.

“We will tend to this now. Please enjoy the rest of the Gala.” Luna said to him and a smile crossed her muzzle as her sister joined her to rejoin the Gala crowd, leaving the pair alone.

Both were silent as the two Alicorn’s left the room. Hunter fought back a bark of laughter as he recalled the look on the mares faces. He saw Twilight look at him as he shook his head, a smile crossing his muzzle.

“Was that a glint of mayhem I saw in their eyes? Or was it only murderous intent?” He asked her.

Twilight snorted a laugh and patted his shoulder. “I am not sure. I have never seen the Princess that upset before. I have seen her concerned and other emotions but that was new.”

“Luna looked nothing short of murderous.”

“You saw that as well?”

“Hard to miss.”

“Let’s just get a new drink and go back to the others. There is still a lot of time left in the Gala. Let’s enjoy the rest of it with our friends and forget all about Blue Blood.” She said as she pulled his hoof back the way they had come.

Hunter nodded in agreement and joined her as she left the room and he trailed her as they made their way back to the other mares and he looked up as they crossed the room swiftly. Twilight stopped at the refreshment table and asked for a different type of wine, the pony behind the table nodded to her and pulled out a bottle that had been hidden and filled two glasses for her. She gave one to Hunter and they made their way to the others and he could see that Spike had rejoined them. The baby dragon had remained outside with Sorkeno for a while before rejoining them. He looked up as Twilight and Hunter rejoined them and he went to the Alicorn mare as soon as she reached them.

“Are you guys okay?” He questioned.

“We’re fine Spike.” Twilight assured him as she hugged him. “Why?”

“They said that Blue Blood came after you and Hunter. You went to go talk to the princesses about him.” The dragon explained.

“It’s taken care of.” Hunter said to him. “He will not bother her again.”

“Especially after the whipping you gave him.” Twilight giggled.

“That’s true.” Hunter pulled his glass to his mouth and took a cautious sip of his wine. “Much better.” He said as he took a second sip.

“It passed your high standards?” Fluttershy asked him.

“Yes. It is better than the previous glass, though anything is better than that was. It is not as good as mine but it will do for now.” He replied with a light shrug. “Hopefully the rest of the night goes by smoothly.”

“TWILY!” A voice called out and Hunter looked over his shoulder as a nearly pure white stallion approached quickly.

"Shining Armor?” Twilight called back and walked past Hunter to greet her elder brother.

Hunter looked at the other mares and they were now looking between him and the pair. Hunter breathed out a sigh and downed his wine in two gulps. “Here we go."

Author's Note:

Finished this a little bit ago but didn't publish it till now. Sorry for the delay but I needed to check it over for errors. Sorry if there are a few errors. Thank you for reading and as always please enjoy!

PreviousChapters Next