• Published 25th Apr 2018
  • 14,887 Views, 916 Comments

An Overlord Apart - OblivionShadow



An emissary is needed to visit the Northern borders of Equestria. Beyond them is the Netherworld Empire. An Overlord awaits.

  • ...
23
 916
 14,887

PreviousChapters Next
43: Coming to Terms

Twilight was quiet as she looked over the Map in front of her. She had noticed that Hunters kingdom was not on the map but she was aware of its location on the fringes if she needed to look for it. She glanced off to the side and she found her minion to be laying sprawled on the cool floor of the castle and she chuckled at the sight of him. Spike walked into the room and set down several papers that she had asked him to find. She smiled at him as he sat down beside her.

“So what are we looking for?” He asked her.

“I’m not sure. I am looking into what we might know of the organization that Hunter found. He said that it’s most likely that they are working with the Nobles and have several of them in their pockets. So I figured I would look into it and bring it to their attention.” She replied.

Spike looked uncertain for several seconds before he poked at several of the papers. “So what exactly are we looking for? If they have been working in the shadows for a while then how would we know the difference?”

“We need to find anything that looks out of the ordinary. Or if anypony changes their stances quickly. Anything like that.” She supplied.

“Oh. So research?”

“Exactly.”

She looked at the lounging minion and then back to the mare. “What if we gave this stuff to Hunter and let him poke through it? He would see it easier than we would.”

“That’s true,” Twilight responded. “But we can’t load it all off on him. He has a kingdom to rule and it’s not his job to find them in our kingdom. So this is something we have to do on our own. If we can’t find a single thing then I will ask him for his perspective.”

She turned back to the papers and Spike took several of them in his claws and began to poke through them with her. She knew that the baby dragon could probably think of a hundred things he would rather be doing but she needed an extra set of eyes. She was wondering just how many Nobles were working with them and how deep it went. Hunter had called it the rot within a kingdom and she was inclined to agree with him. A part of her hoped that Celestia and Luna knew about them already and maybe were working on it the same as she was. But something told her that they were either allowing it to go on or were unaware.


The doors opened and Twilight looked up as Rarity came into the room. She had asked the other mare to join her earlier once she was done with work. She wanted to talk to her about what she was investigating. Rarity tended to see details just as quickly as she did but she was also more acquainted with the Nobles of Canterlot than she was. The white Unicorn walked casually into the room and Spike smiled brightly at the sight of her. Twilight grinned at his clear lingering affection for the other mare and she managed not to roll her eyes. Her minion, Basher, rolled over to his belly and stared at the approaching mare, his eyes glued to her as she moved. Twilight knew enough about minions by now that he was not watching her for her good looks. He was watching her for any threat to the Alicorn’s safety.

“Hi, Rarity.” She called out in greeting.

“Hello dear.” She replied and sat down in her seat, on the other side of Applejacks.

“Spike.” She said to the baby dragon who nodded and began to walk out of the room. “Thank you.” She said to him and he waved his claws at her in acknowledgment.

The door closed behind him and she looked at the other mare. “Thank you for coming when you were done Rarity.”

“Not a problem darling.” She said with a wave of her hoof. “What do you need?”

“I am looking through the records of decisions that involved any of the Noble Families and I am hoping you can add some perspective so I don’t go down the wrong rabbit hole.”

Rarity looked uncertain for a second before she nodded. “What exactly are you looking for?”

“Anything out of the ordinary. You know Noble society better than I do and I am hoping you can point out things that they have agreed to that would not be beneficial to their positions but they agreed anyway.”

Rarity gave her a sly look and a smile went over her muzzle. “Are you looking for you? Or for him?”

“Its…both?” She replied. “He showed me that I did not know the shadows of the kingdom as well as I wish I did. He knows his kingdom inside and out and I barely know anything.”

“What do you mean?”

“I…You can’t tell anyone.” She replied and her eyes stared at the other mare, who gave a solemn nod. “I was helping him find an animal dealer and we found out that they got the animal through a dealer that operates from within Equestria.”

“Oh my.”

“We found them in the black market of Equestria.” She went on. “We found them and he got what he had been after but now I find myself wondering how deep the rot has set into Equestria itself.”

“You are looking into the Nobles for any sign of them being rotten?”

“Exactly,” Twilight replied with a nod. “Can you help me?”

“I will do what I can Twilight dear. I hope I can be of some help to both of you. Why do you not simply ask him to look through them with you?”

“He has a kingdom to run. I have extra time. If I run into a brick wall I might call on his help but I can’t depend on him to find the rotten ponies outside of his kingdom. It’s not his job.”

“What do you hope to do with the information?”

“I want to bring it to Celestia and Luna's attention. Maybe they have been watching them as well and I can add this to their evidence.”

Rarity looked at her for several seconds before she leaned against the table and her eyes were on the Alicorn as she breathed in and then addressed her. “Do you think they have been following them as well?”

Twilight looked away from the perceptive mare and after several seconds shook her head. “I don’t think they know. Or if they do they don’t know the depth of it.”

Rarity nodded and a sigh pulled from her as she leaned back on her haunches. “Very well dear. I will do what I can to help you. What do you need to know?”

Twilight smiled as her friend waited for her to go on and show her what she had found. Her horn lit as her aura gripped a small scroll that she had been writing her notes on. She set them in front of the fashionista and waited while she read through it.

“There are several names on here that I know fairly well. Though I’m shocked that a few of them are on the list and others are not.”

“What do you mean?”

“There are a few Nobles that I have dealt with that have recently been living above their means. How they afford the perks that they have I am not sure.”

“Show me,” Twilight said and she pulled out a second scroll and a quill for her friend to write out what she knew.


Twilight stared at the list of contacts and other notes that Rarity had written for her. She was shocked at the list of names and how few of them she knew. She leaned back ion her throne and she looked at the mare who waited for her to speak.

“Wow.” She whispered out. “This many are doing more than they should be able to?”

Rarity nodded and waited for her to go on. When the Alicorn said nothing in reply she sighed. “I added what I thought would be useful to you in some way. I can also think of several that seem to be going out of their way to stay squeaky clean and out of trouble and out of the Princess's sight.”

Twilight was quiet as she thought back to the meeting with the Earth Pony from the bar. “Have you seen a pony that has a scarred face around the Nobles you’ve mentioned?”

Rarity looked thoughtful and then nodded. “Dull grey coat with a white mane and tail?”

“Yes!” She shouted and then settled back at the surprised look from Rarity. “Sorry. That’s the one.”

“He has been around a few times when I have delivered dresses and other items for a Noble named Swift Quill. His wife had a dress tailored and I went to Canterlot to deliver it and ensure it fit well. That stallion was there walking with him around the grounds of their home. I didn’t pay much attention to him at first but he was always close by when I thought I was alone in a hallway.”

“Creepy,” Twilight said and the white mare nodded. “Did he seem more interested in you than Swift Quill?”

“In the end he was. I began to leave and he made sure I knew he was close by. At first, I thought he might have been following me but after stopping for some tea, I concluded he was gone but it was a bit…disconcerting.”

“Yeah. That would be…upsetting.” She replied and then looked at the list once more. “Was it just there that you’ve seen him?”

“No. He was with a couple of others. Most recently he was spotted with Blue Bloods' family. They have been struggling since his punishment by the Princesses. Rumor has been circulating ever since the Gala about what he did to deserve having his title removed and being ostracized by the Princesses.”

Twilights face soured as she recalled the fallen Prince and she gave a short snort at the mention of his name and family. “I can’t say I feel bad for him. He earned it.” She growled.

“I agree Darling.” She quickly nodded in agreement. “Such an uncouth stallion.”

Twilight shook her head to rid it of the thoughts of Blue Blood. “Have they been the ones living above themselves?”

“Actually no. They are not struggling in terms of bits, it’s their position in Noble Society that they are struggling to maintain. I would say that would make them prime targets for this shadow organization.”

“I agree. While I can’t stand Blue Blood I don’t hold anything against his family.” She replied and Rarity nodded. “I think I should look into them somehow and see what I can find out.”

“Good luck dear. Nobles tend to keep their dirt well hidden, lest it is used against them.”

Twilight sighed and shook her head. “Why can’t it be simple?” She joked and chuckled.

“Nothing worth doing ever is.” She teased in response. “But if you want you can look into them or go through the shadows as well.”

“How?” She asked. “Hunter knows how to walk in the shadows like that but I’ve never done it.”

“I am not sure dear. But you have the magic to use your illusions which is what I assume you used before.” Twilight nodded in affirmation as the mare went on. “Then walk among them once more. And see what you can hear.”

Twilight felt apprehension rise in her throat as she looked at the notes that were spread in front of her. “I don’t know how he does it.” She muttered.

“Hunter?” She nodded as the white mare chuckled. “He has been forced to do things that none of us can even fathom. I still have the occasional nightmare about the battle in the Empire. I can’t see how he sleeps even a little bit with what he has done in his lifetime. But he does, it’s a skill we lack at this time.”

“I’m still struggling with what I have found out.”

“About?”

“I’m a Princess?” She asked and the mare looked uncertain before she nodded. “So why am I kept out of everything and not told the truth?”

Rarity looked at her for several seconds. “Meaning?”

“When I told them about Hunter rescinding his claim to all of the lands they went behind my back once I had left the room and tried to take over a hundred miles of land from him. I heard about it and sent him a letter telling him what they were doing.”

“You did what?” Rarity barked a noise and looked surprised.

“Yeah. I know. I didn’t even think about going back in there to tell them I had overheard them. I just sent him a letter and told him about it. He met the ponies at the old border I guess and drove them back to Equestria. He let them live but I know how angry he was about it.”

“Well, Darling I think it’s safe to say who you are more loyal to.” She said, her tone teasing.

Twilight sighed and then her face flushed as her mind locked onto what the other mare had said. “Well…I just…I…Rarity, that was mean.”

The other mare laughed behind her hoof and shook her head. “I mean nothing by it, dear. I simply mean that you are watching over him from here and I do not doubt he does the same from his position as well.”

“He made it seem like the ponies had been spotted by his guards and Maranna but I went behind him and told them that I had been the one to tell him about it.”

“So you spilled the beans to say when he had made sure to hide your involvement?”

“Yeah. Basically. I think he was a bit annoyed with me about that.”

Rarity sighed and ran a manicured hoof over her features as she shook her head. “Twilight dear you should have let it go.”

“I know but I wanted them to know that I’m not blind. I was aware of what they were doing and that they should realize that they can’t hide everything from me all the time.”

“You told them something all right.” Rarity chuckled. “Well, water under the bridge and he seems to have forgiven it.”

“I think he was annoyed and then he laughed about it and teased me to leave it alone next time.” She admitted.

“How do you feel about them hiding everything from you?” Rarity asked her, her tone careful.

Twilight paused at the sudden question and she closed her eyes for several seconds. “I guess I…was just really shocked. Celestia was like a second mother to me and I never thought she would hide this or anything from me once I ascended to be the same rank as her.”

Rarity’s face morphed into one of deep concern as Twilight breathed deeply. “It is not easy to realize that you’re not the equal you thought you were.”

Twilight nodded. "I mean I kind of knew it a little bit when I was not part of the Princess Summit before but then Tirek happened and I thought things had moved past that. Then they asked me to trick Hunter with Friendship and I chose to change what they wanted me to do and make a real friendship with him instead. I guess I thought that was a fluke.”

“It wasn’t?”

“I don’t think so.” She admitted. “I want to think it was but the longer time goes on the more I am thinking it was not a fluke and it was just the start of something more. Now I find out that there is a shadow group that might be telling them what to do.”

“You think it’s gone that far?”

“I have no idea!?” She nearly shrieked and then went quiet as she looked apologetically at the other mare. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine dear. You’re frustrated and angry. I don’t blame you in the slightest for that outburst. I would be shocked if you were not upset by it.”

“I still shouldn’t have shouted at you.” She began but the other mare simply waved her apologies away. “I hope it’s not that deep. But if it is…what do I do?”

“I am not sure dear.” Rarity said to her, her voice quiet. “Do you truly think they are being manipulated in the shadows?”

She knew Rarity was trying to gently press her and she also knew that she needed to be pushed. The idea was a reality she was desperate to avoid and now it was being spoken about in front of her and she needed to address it honestly.

“I don’t think so.” She admitted. “I would hope that Celestia has been around long enough to know what to watch for.”

“Could she have become complacent though?”

“That’s the big question,” Twilight replied and leaned back on her throne. “I wish I had some of Hunter's intuition for this kind of thing.”

Rarity laughed and nodded her head. “I must admit that would be of great help to us both.”

Twilight chuckled and looked down at the papers she had gathered. “Thank you Rarity. I needed to talk it through with someone.”

“It’s fine dear. I am here if you need anything. Was that all or do you need more help with the Nobles?”

“I think I got everything I need. Now I will start looking through for these Nobles and see what I can sniff out on my own.”

Rarity got up from her seat and made her way to the front door. Twilight got up and followed her out, hugging her before the mare walked into the dark of the evening, leaving her alone at the front of her castle. She sighed and walked back inside to her throne and sat down heavily. She looked at the documents and her magic gripped them and she slowly moved them into a pile that she could look over more closely. She looked around for where to put them and after several minutes of searching for a safe place, she chuckled at herself and hid them away in her pocket storage.


Hunter was silent as his magic flowed easily over the documents he had within it. Gnarl came into the throne room from an entrance off to the side and the black stallion glanced as the Advisor approached. The minion came to stand up close by him and Hunters magic gripped the offered documents. He scanned them and a smile tugged at his mouth.

“So they work in a tier system?” He said to the Minion, who nodded.

“Yes, Master. All of them answer to a lead pony and then they go down from there.”

“Interesting. Do we have names?”

A cruel smile crossed his wrinkled face and he nodded. “We do not have their addresses and only have their first names. They are led by a pony called Secret. Your contact, Sunder, is the pony that watches over the others.”

His eyes scanned the list of names and positions and his eyes narrowed as he looked at their system. They worked as a group but they all answered to Secret and then they branched out and each sub-leader led the ones under them. The only one that seemed to not have a group under them was Sunder. He seemed to be able to answer to Secret, while the others ruled their groups.

“Interesting setup.” He muttered and his magic juggled them around him. “They seem to act as a pyramid style. The only one that does not seem to have a group under him is Sunder.” He said to the Minion Master. “I would be interested in seeing what exactly his purpose is in their organization.”

“I think he is there to monitor the others,” Gnarl observed. “His purpose is to watch over the others and assure Secret that they are loyal.”

“That would make sense. He works as the middle man and allows others to act in their capacity. I am curious about this mare Sky Star. She runs the storefronts and is involved in their public image.”

“She is one that is in the limelight fairly often, according to our informants,” Gnarl informed him.

“Hmm.” Hunter didn’t reply in words as he scanned the papers. “I am curious how deep they are involved in Equestria’s politics and how long they have been in operation.”

“Do you think they have anything to do with the attempted theft of YOUR land?” Gnarl growled.

“They might have. It’s possible but I would have to read further into it to see how far the rot goes.”

“Does Lady Twilight know about them?”

“She knows some since she was with me when I first met with them.” He supplied. “I would think she knew something but at the same time I doubt it.”

“You think she is unaware?”

“I am almost certain she was. She seemed shocked when it was brought up the first time. I am inclined to assume that she was completely unaware of the black markets that exist in the shadows of every kingdom.”

Gnarl nodded in understanding and his claws gripped the papers in Hunters magic and scanned one of them before he let them go and they went back to hovering in the azure aura. Hunter moved the papers in his magic and began to scan them. He read through what was in front of him and he sighed as he put his head back in the throne and closed his eyes. He leaned forward quickly as Sorkeno called out to him. He set the papers into Gnarls claws and got to his hooves.

“I am heading down to the dragons for some time with the babies.” He said as Gnarl bowed his head and stepped back as the stallion stepped down the stairs and headed for the platforms.

His hooves thudded dully on the stones as he stopped to wait for the platform as it soared toward him and it docked gently with the stones. He sighed and jumped to the platform and it moved through the air toward the Lair. He could sense that Sorkeno was waiting for him and he could see the golden dragon waiting by the platforms. He jumped off and Sorkeno reached out and picked him up and set him on his snout and moved through the Lair toward the Nest. The dragon’s body flowed over the barrier that had been erected to keep the babies inside the Nest and out of the general Lair with the adults. Hunter had sent the servants back to their tasks with the dragons. So long as the babies were not around the other adults dragons could be tended to easily enough.

Sorkeno came out into the larger nest and set the Overlord down onto the stone floor as the babies called and clamored at the sight of him. The little black came barreling toward him and he could sense Sorkeno preparing to defend him. The baby slid to a stop and stared at Hunter as he waited to be told he could greet him. Sorkeno growled in approval and the others did the same as Hunter waited for them. Sorkeno reached out and nudged the black as he surged forward and rammed into Hunter's body as gently as possible. The others waited for their turns as the black nuzzled and pushed against him, inhaling his scent.

“They’ve gotten much better at waiting,” Hunter commented as Sorkeno released the others slowly.

“They Have Little One. The young ones have been working diligently with them to ensure your safety. None of us wish to see you thrown from your hooves to the ground.”

Hunter snorted in agreement as he ran his hooves over the smooth scales of the babies as they nuzzled him. He breathed in the slight scent they gave off and the black’s neck went over his back and he tried to nuzzle his head and Hunter pushed his head back to dissuade him from pushing on his neck and back. The black stopped his attempts and went back to nuzzling his shoulder. The babies relaxed and returned to waiting for their dinner as Setan brought out one of the more docile Chimeras. Hunter stepped back as Sorkeno moved him to stay behind his paw to keep the Chimera from possibly coming after him when the hunt began. Hunter had the creature's claws and fangs blunted to prevent the babies from being injured.

“Their ready to start learning I assume?” Hunter said to the golden dragon.

“They are. We chose this one since it is older and will tire more quickly and allow them to hunt safely. While you provide us meat and anything else we need we must teach them how to provide for themselves if they should need to hunt for themselves. While we will support them as long as they are in the Nest they still will learn.”

Hunter nodding in understanding and watched as the Chimera was brought in and set down ahead of the babies. Hunter’s horn lit as he was as ready as the dragons to protect the babies if the need came. Sorkeno nudged him and he let his aura fade at the wave of calm that went over him from the dragon. The chimera looked around it and he watched as it stared at the babies as they slowly approached it. The four babies all chirped and called out as the chimera snarled. The black stepped forward and the chimera backed up away from him. Hunter watched as Maranna came to lay her body down behind the chimera to prevent it from running away. Sorkeno growled as the other babies trailed behind the black as he kept approaching. The chimera snarled and swatted at his nose when he got closer. The black pulled his head back, his eyes wide. Hunter watched as the black growled and lunged ahead to bite at the creature.

“There we go,” Hunter muttered. “I wondered what they would do.”

The white came to stand close to the black's hip and growled with him. The pale green stayed back and the red stayed back as well. Hunter got to his hooves and watched as the black jumped forward and swiped at the chimera. The creature yelped and limped back away from the dragons. Hunter’s ears flicked forward as he listened intently to the sounds of the babies. He had learned the sounds they made when they were upset or another emotion they wished to convey.

“Be at ease Little One. That one is lame in its forelegs and cannot hurt them.” Sorkeno assured him.

Hunter sat back down and watched as the babies seemed to gather more of their courage. The black-led the charge as he went after the chimera. The monster spun to face him and swiped at his head as he bit at it. Hunter stayed still as the chimera tried to sink its claws into the baby’s neck and the black simply turned its head and dug its fangs into the chimera’s foreleg. The white lunged forward and bit into the other leg and the pair of them began to drag it back toward the other two. Sorkeno lowered his head and he stayed close as the chimera lunged forward to bite into the black’s neck and the black let go in surprise. The white let the chimera go and it tried to flee. Hunter watched as the black lunged forward and dug his teeth into the chimeras back and yanked hard.

Hunter got to his hooves and he watched closely as blood splattered the ground and the chimera screamed as its flesh gave way to the baby’s sharp teeth. Sorkeno reached his head down and pushed the chimera back toward the babies and the white got its courage back and bit into the chimera. The red and green stayed back and he watched as they waited for the other two to do the work. Hunter watched as the four of them descended on the now roaring chimera and tore into it. He looked up at the golden dragon and the dragon nodded in approval.

The baby dragons ate their fill after several minutes and they backed up from the body. Maranna leaned down and ran her tongue over their heads to remove the blood and viscera. Sorkeno reached down and his jaws opened to swallow the remains of the chimera. The babies chirped and fell over themselves as they called. Sorkeno opened his mouth and fire went over the area that had once had the chimera and fire went from his mouth to the floor burning away the remainder of the blood. Hunter said nothing as the black came back to him and rolled onto his back to get the Overlord to scratch his scales.

“Well done.” He praised the babies as they all chirped and called.

Author's Note:

Here we go. A bit of a filler as we move forward and I will get more ready as soon as I can.

PreviousChapters Next