• Published 25th Apr 2018
  • 14,882 Views, 916 Comments

An Overlord Apart - OblivionShadow



An emissary is needed to visit the Northern borders of Equestria. Beyond them is the Netherworld Empire. An Overlord awaits.

  • ...
23
 916
 14,882

PreviousChapters Next
26: A Shocking Guest...

Hunter rolled over and tried to sleep longer but his natural clock kept him awake. He groaned loudly into the darkness and sat up in defeat. At the end of his bed Wrath snored quietly and was flopped across the bottom of the bed, like an armored throw rug. The Overlord sighed and threw back the comforter and sheets. His hooves carried him across the room to his trunk where he had stashed some of his paperwork for something to do. He knew that he was supposed to be on vacation but he couldn’t shake the feeling that he needed to accomplish something. He set the papers on the desk in the room and sat down heavily.

“You should still be sleeping.”

A voice whispered behind him and he nearly shouted in alarm. He looked back as Sorkeno pushed his snout past the window frame. The dragon’s nose made it partially through the window by a couple of feet. Hunter panted for a moment before he stood up and went to the golden nose and jumped up to land on it. Sorkeno pulled his head back and Hunter came with it. His red eyes regarded the dragon as he sighed once more.

“I know but I can’t sleep. I keep thinking I should be awake and accomplishing something. By the Netherworld, I really am a workaholic.” He grumbled.

“You are. You are fighting a habit that has sustained you for many years, Little One. Even sleeping as little as you did earlier is not enough to force you to sleep later. You are used to needing to work late and early to accomplish all that you deem needed.”

“Because it was needed,” Hunter argued quietly.

“In your opinion. You have a strong work ethic Little One but you need to rest as well.” Sorkeno said to him.

“I know I should be asleep but I can’t stop thinking about all the things I could be doing. I have tried everything including counting sheep and it hasn’t worked.”

“How many sheep?”

“Eight hundred and twenty-three…or four I stopped counting,” Hunter replied quickly. “Usually I‘m so mentally tired that sleeping is easy and I only need a few hours to feel like I can keep going. It’s not even two AM and I’m awake.”

Sorkeno chuckled and laid down, allowing Hunter to jump to the grass. “You are trying too hard, Little One. Perhaps if you simply tried to not think so hard then you might find it easier.”

“Not think? How in the Dark do I do that?” Hunter asked him.

“Sometimes focusing on not thinking is what you need. You are a pony of great focus Little One. Try.” Sorkeno said as he ushered the pony into his paws and against his scales.

Hunter huddled against the thick golden scales and closed his eyes. His focused on simply repeating the same mantra of not thinking over and over in his mind. He didn’t notice when after a half an hour he slept once more.


Sorkeno snuggled the sleeping pony close and kept him warm against his scales. He gave a quiet chuckle at the stubbornness of the young stallion and settled his body around him. “So much trouble for a few more hours of rest my dear Little One.” He whispered to the pony as he also slept once more.


Twilight went to Hunters door to ask him about breakfast when the sound of a startled screech caught her attention and the door was thrown open. Her eyes went wide as Wrath saw her in the doorway and began to yelp and call to her. She blinked and looked to the bed and saw it was empty.

“Hunter?” She gave a tentative call and her ears flicked to listen. When no reply came a jolt of fear went through her and she trotted into the room. “Hunter!” She called out louder, waiting for his reply.

She spun to the nervously dancing minion. She opened her mouth to shout when the image of a golden dragon went through her mind and she ran to the balcony. She readied herself to shout as she looked down to see the golden dragon curled tightly around a black pony. A deep sigh of relief pulled from her as she sagged against the railing. Her horn lit and she dragged Wrath out and held him out to see that his Master was fine. The minion went silent as he saw his Master and Twilight set him down on the balcony floor. Sorkeno opened one eye and looked up at her as she began to wave at him.

The dragon tilted his head as she pointed to the pony with him and he nodded in understanding. She smiled as he moved and the pony shifted in place as he woke up.


Hunter groaned as Sorkeno moved around him. He sat up and a whistle caught his attention. He looked up and Wrath was waving frantically to him with Twilight smiling in amusement.

“We thought you were missing again.” She called out to him. “Wrath was almost in a panic.”

Hunter blinked at them and then chuckled in understanding. He moved and Sorkeno picked him up and set him back on his balcony. He shook his body and stood tall as Wrath wrapped his arms around the Overlords foreleg and snuggled against his fur.

“He was most unhappy.” She said to him as she giggled at the minion.

“In his defense, the last time was not a good day for anypony. So I can’t be angry about the sudden outpouring of affection.” Hunter replied.

“You’re not allowed to be mad at him for this. He’s adorable.” She laughed as she reached out and patted the minion’s knobby head.

Hunter patted the minion on the back with his other hoof and waited as Wrath finally let go of his leg and allowed him to move back into his room. He looked back as Twilight came into the room and made her way to the door.

“I’ll wait for you downstairs for breakfast. I know you typically don’t eat but you’re on vacation and this is something new for you to do.” She said to him with a sly smile.

“Ha-ha. I’ll be down in a minute.” He replied to her.

She closed the door behind her and his horn lit as he went into the bathroom to brush his fur.


Twilight stood in the kitchen and prepared a plate of waffles for the three of them. She looked back as Spike came into the kitchen, rubbing one eye with his claws.

“Morning Spike.” She greeted him.

“Morning Twilight. How are you?”

“I’m good Spike. Can you set the table for us?”

“Is Hunter joining us?”

“Of course he is.” She said to him. “Why?”

“I never saw him eat breakfast before.”

“Me neither Spike. But he is joining us for some breakfast this time.” She assured him and she smiled as the baby dragon set off to do as she had asked.

She hummed as she finished and her magic covered the food and drinks as she turned to leave the kitchen. She looked down as Wrath came into the room and held out his claws to her. She blinked as she realized that Hunter must have sent him to help out. She gave him the pitcher of orange juice and the minion carefully turned and led her out of the kitchen. The Alicorn could hear Spike talking to somepony and she came into the room as Spike’s jaw dropped.

“You’re really on vacation?” He asked the Overlord who was sitting calmly in his own seat.

“I was told by two dragons and one advisor that I needed a break. So here I am.” He said as he leaned against the table.

“And they were right.” Twilight said as she joined them and set things on the table. Wrath pushed the pitcher into place and returned to his Master.

“Says you.” Hunter replied to her.

“Says everypony who has met you. Was that paperwork I saw on the desk this morning?” She questioned him and he stiffened in his seat.

“I was awake very early and could not get back to sleep so I was going to get something done with the time. So yes, it was paperwork.” He replied to her.

She shook her head and sat down in her chair. “You really need a vacation.” She teased and he shrugged in reply. “Eat up.”

Her magic covered the waffles and she dropped two on each plate and then she looked down to Wrath, who had stood up and was watching her. She held up one and her magic gave it to the minion who happily sat back down and chewed on the waffle.

“Can they eat waffles?” Spike asked the Overlord who was adding butter to his food.

“They can typically eat anything so long as it does not eat them first. They do not need to eat if that is what you meant.” He replied.

“They don’t need to?” Twilight said to him.

“No. The magic from me and the Netherworld sustains them. But they can eat just the same. Some do others do not. Wrath will eat anything you give him in large quantities if given the option. He’s a bit of a glutton.” Hunter said as he bit into his food.

Twilight chewed her waffle and watched as Wrath ate through the first waffle and Hunter tossed him a second one from the pile. She giggled at the pleased sound from the minion as he sat at Hunters hooves, chewing contentedly.

“Magic from you?” She questioned after swallowing her food.

“I am of the Netherworld so I give off the same magic and they can feed off of it if they are close enough to me. The difference is that my magic is combined with the magic of the dragons so my magic cannot sustain the whole of them for very long. It does not drain me if that is what you are thinking.”

“I was about to ask.”

“I know. I saw the look on your face.” He said as he bit into his food.

She chuckled and they fell silent as they ate. Hunter ate one of his waffles and tossed the second to Wrath who ate it happily in his place. She gave him a look but didn’t say anything and he shrugged in reply to her expression.


“So what are you going to do while the girls and I get ready?” She asked him.

“Well since I am on vacation I will probably go for a flight with Sorkeno and relax I guess. That’s what you’re supposed to do on a vacation I hear.” He replied with a laugh.

“For you, that’s a change.” She jabbed at him. He put up his hooves and shrugged. “You might hold off on the flying if you want to remain hidden.”

“Oh?”

“You might get spotted by a guard or a patrol.”

“They didn’t see me yesterday.” He pointed out and she scowled at him. “What?”

“Just try staying on the ground. You’re the one that wants to shock Princess Celestia and Luna.”

He huffed and leaned back in his chair. “Fine. If you insist. I will oversee the making of the Gate then.”

The doors opened as Soft Touch came into the room and bowed her head to him as she spotted him. “Welcome to Equestria My Lord.”

“Thank you Soft Touch. I trust your charge has not been giving you too much trouble?”

“Not at all.” The mare assured him. “My Lady?”

“Hmm?”

“When did you wish for your friends to join you to get ready?” She asked the Alicorn.

“They should be here by noon at the latest. Knowing Rarity it will be before that.” Twilight said to her and she nodded in reply.

“I’ll get the room ready for all of you to get ready in.”

“A room?” Hunter looked to her and she nodded.

“There’s six of us. Soft Touch is going to do our hooves and hair. She’s a master of it.” Twilight said to him with a nod to the handmaiden.

He simply nodded. ‘I’m not even going to ask anything more. Getting ready for that long must be a mare thing that stallions will never understand.’ Soft Touch left the room with a bow to him and closed the doors behind her. Twilight began to gather things to take them to the kitchen and Hunter nudged Wrath to help her and the minion took the dirty dishes in his claws. Hunter watched as the minion led the mare back to the kitchen and out of sight. He leaned against the table and scrubbed his face with one hoof.

“Now what are you going to do?” Spike asked him.

“I have no idea.” He admitted. “I have never had a vacation before now so I find myself at a loss. I have things that I do throughout the day that are no longer applicable.”

“You could walk around Ponyville again? Sometimes I do that to clear my head or if I want a snack at Sugarcube Corner.” Spike said to him.

“Perhaps a walk will make it easier to think of something other than the work I am missing out on completing.” He admitted with a sigh.

“They were right. You needed a vacation.” Spike said to him with a definitive nod.

Hunter chuckled and nodded. “Perhaps they were right then.”

Hunter got to his hooves as Wrath came back into the room and leaped for his armor. He felt the minion collide with his armor as he turned to leave the room. He could hear hooves behind him and he looked over his shoulder as Twilight came into the room and gave him a questioning look.

“I need to clear my head. Spike recommended a walk.” He said as he turned back to the doors as his magic pushed them open.

“Enjoy!” Twilight called after him.

Hunter walked out of the castle and out the front doors. On his back Wrath squinted in the bright sunlight and he angled to see Sorkeno before he left the castle behind him.

“Little One?”

“I am going for a walk. It’s harder than I thought it would be to just ignore all the work that I left behind. Spike recommended a walk to clear my head. I thought of flying but I was reminded that you might be seen and that would undo any attempt at surprising Celestia and Luna.”

“That is true. A walk can be of help. If you have need call on me and I will come to you.” Sorkeno said to him.

“I know. See you in a bit.” He said to the dragon as he walked away from him.

His hooves thudded against the dirt road as he moved forward. He glanced around him as ponies once more stopped to stare as he walked silently through town. On his back Wrath sat in silence as the stallions gait remained fluid and untroubled. His strides carried him beyond the towns borders and out toward the apple orchards and down the road that went along the orchards edge.

He paused as a shout caught his attention. His eyes looked toward the sound and he saw Big Mac trying to keep a tree from falling to its side and landing on a cart of apples. Hunter’s horn lit and his red aura covered the tree and lifted it from the draft ponies back and to the ground. The tree appeared half dead and had finally given out. He approached the fence and waited as the other looked relieved to see the Unicorn.

“Ya got some mighty good timing Pardner.” He said as he approached the black stallion.

“Just happened to be in the area.” He replied.

“Ya still were in the right place.” He replied. “What ya doin’ way out here?”

“Out for a walk. I was told that it would help me clear my head.”

“And?”

“And it hasn’t.”

“Ah thought ya looked troubled.” Mac said as he leaned against the fence.

“That bad?”

“Not really. Mah sister said yer a hard pony ta read when ya want ta be.” Mac explained. “Ah don’t think yer tryin’ ta hide anythin’.”

“Maybe not.” Hunter replied as he put his forelegs on the fence and leaned against it.

Mac looked to him and his eyes went wide as Wrath leaned over Hunters neck. “Who’s zat?”

“Hmm?” He looked to the minion and nodded. “Oh. That’s Wrath. Personal minion guard. Very rarely do I go anywhere without him.”

“Ya really need a guard all tha’ time?”

“Back home yes. It’s a habit that I have never tried to break. And I don’t intend to now. I left him at the castle yesterday since I was with Twilight.” He explained as Mac looked at him.

“Never on yer own?” Mac asked him as he watched the armed minion.

“I did once. I paid dearly and I learned a powerful lesson for my efforts.” Hunter replied to him.

Mac was quiet and did not ask anything more of the stallion. Hunter looked around him and his eyes fell on the dead tree that he had set aside. “So what was the plan with that tree?”

“Was needin’ ta come down but Ah didn’t think it would come down that fast. Ya saved me a lot of work.”

“Looks like it’s over half dead.” Hunter observed as the red pony nodded in reply. “Now it will be firewood I assume?”

“Gonna use it to make some furniture and some will go to be used as firewood. Ya done me a favor keeping it from crushing mah wagon. Can Ah offer ya any help in return?”

Hunter considered the question as Wrath shifted on his back. “Maybe you can add some perspective for me. I have been the sole ruler of my kingdom for many years and I’m not familiar with how a vacation works. I have been told I am in need of a vacation so here I am but I find myself only able to think about what I am not getting done. I know that my advisor will be fine without my constant presence but…what?” Hunter paused at the look he was getting from the dark roan.

“Ya need ta trust them more.”

“Trust who?”

“The ones who are around ya. Ah know ya rule alone but even then ya need ta relax. What do ya enjoy outside of work?”

Hunter paused and stared at the pony for several seconds. “Let me rephrase. I have not stopped working in many years.”

Mac paused and blinked at the black stallion. “Oh.”

Hunter sighed and nodded. “Exactly. Not a day has gone by that I have not been working for my ponies and my kingdom. I have not had the time to find hobbies or anything outside of that.”

“Well. Use this time ta find things ya might enjoy. Mah sister is a bit of a work horse like ya are bit she still finds time to do other things with her friends. Ya have any friends?”

“No.” Hunter admitted easily. “Again I’m working all the time.”

Mac looked perplexed at the other stallion and took the weight off one hind leg as he leaned on the fence. “Ya have other ponies that can do what you do?”

“Of course not. I abolished the Noble Caste years ago. I trust none beside myself and maybe Gnarl to run things for any period of time.”

Mac looked shocked at his reply and went quiet. “Ya don’t have anypony ya trust?”

“No.”

“Ah don’t mean ta sound foolish but it sounds lonely in your kingdom.”

Hunter startled and stared at the pony. His first impulse was to strike out but he held back by reminding himself that Equestria was different from his own kingdom. “My ponies are safe and they know that I will stand for them if they have the need. I may rule alone but that does not mean that they are alone.”

Mac nodded as Hunter spoke. “Sounds like Ah had it wrong then. But are ya alone?”

“I have my dragons at my side.”

“Dragons?”

“Yes. I rule over not just ponies. I also rule over a Lair of dragons. If I have need they will come at my command. I was raised by two of them and they are with me.”

“Ah never heard a dragon being under anypony command.”

“They are different from the dragons in Equestria. But you still have not answered my question.” Hunter said to him and made sure to redirect the conversation.

Mac appeared thoughtful for several seconds but he shook his head. “Nah. Ah did. Ah said ya should try things out and try to find things ya enjoy.” The pony replied.

Hunter nodded as he spoke. “That’s true. Could it really be that simple?”

“Why not?”

“Nothing is simple in this world.” Hunter countered.

“Maybe it is. Yer tryin’ too hard.”

Hunter chuckled. “Not the first to tell me that today.”

“Who else?”

“My dragon.” He replied and the pony’s eyes went wide. “Maybe that’s all there is to it.”

Hunters mind went over what he had been told and all he was certain of was that he was still no closer to knowing what to do with himself than he had been at the start. But at least he had been given the perspective he had requested. The stallion pushed off the fence and looked at the red stallion.

“Thanks for the advice.” He said to the other pony and started back down the road that he had been walking on.

“Anytime!” Mac called out after him.


Hunter focused on summoning Grubby and the diggers toward the back of Twilights crystal castle. He stood still as Sorkeno shifted behind him to allow the minions to appear as he had commanded them. Hunter could feel the ground vibrate under his hooves as the ground burst open to allow the summoned minions to come to him. Grubby stood at the front of the small group as Wrath moved on Hunter’s back.

“I need a medium size Gate made ready where you just appeared.” Hunter spoke as they regarded him closely. “Now.”

The minion diggers stood upright and saluted him as they turned to accomplish their tasks. He backed up to stay out of the way and avoid the growing cloud of magical dust that was made by the working minions. He could hear the sounds of metal grating and the heat from the lightning as it flashed dully inside the cloud. The Overlord was well aware of what they were doing and chose to stay out of the way as he moved closer to the golden dragon. The dragon was quiet as he leaned against his scales, his red eyes scanned the area around him.

“Did you enjoy your walk, Little One?” Sorkeno asked, his voice quiet.

“In a way. Enjoy might be the wrong word for it.” He replied.

“Oh?”

Hunter was silent as he considered what to admit to the dragon. “I was given a bit of perspective by Applejacks elder brother so that did help in a way.”

“How so?”

“He simply told me that I might be trying too hard to figure out what I want to do while I’m on vacation. Same thing that you had told me already. He did ask me a simple question that I had no answer for.”

“What was the question?”

“He asked me what I enjoy doing. What were my hobbies and I had no reply. I can honestly say that I did not know what to tell him.”

“You have always been a pony that puts others ahead of yourself. You think of your subjects first and foremost. While that has worked for you up until recently it is a question that needs an answer.” Sorkeno said to him.

Hunter leaned heavily against the dragons shoulder as he nodded. “I have never thought about what I might enjoy doing aside from my work on my kingdom.”

“Your ponies are well taken care of in your hooves but you must tend to yourself as well.”

Hunter looked up as the dragons large eyes turned to look at him. “I know.” He breathed out.

Sorkeno nudged him gently and laid his head back down in front of the stallion. The Overlord was silent as the dragons head took up his line of sight. He had seen the last of Twilight’s friends go into the castle an hour earlier. Spike came around the side of Sorkeno’s head and patted the elder dragons jaw in greeting.

“What is going on?” He asked as his eyes fell on the cloud of dust.

“They are building a Gate at my command,” Hunter replied easily.

“Oh. That makes sense.” He said as he approached the black stallion.

“Did you get thrown out?” Hunter asked him.

“Nah. I just decided to come out here instead. Their all talking about the Gala and that girly stuff.” He grimaced as he spoke and Hunter chuckled.

“That would grow boring quickly.” He admitted with a shake of his head.

“Yeah. So when are you going to get ready?”

Hunter pushed off the dragons shoulder and looked back over his armor. “In a while. I assume that they will be ready before we need to go so I will wait until then. Unless you think differently?”

“Nah. You have more than enough time. They will probably be a little late like normal. We were really early last year since Twilight was setting up the whole thing. This time I think she is more of a guest since you’re here.” Spike replied with a dismissive wave of his claws.

“Then I will wait.” Hunter said as he folded his legs under him and laid down.

“They are gonna so surprised to see you,” Spike said to him, a mischievous glint in his eyes as he regarded the stallion.

“That is what I am hoping for.” He admitted with a mischievous grin of his own.

“I’m going to walk inside with the others and make sure I can see the look on their faces when you come in. It’ll be fun.” Spike said with a wide smile.


Hunter looked up as Grubby came toward him, the dust settling to reveal the Gate behind him. Hunter got to his hooves and regarded their workmanship. The blue lightning arced within the Gates center and he could see the metal cooling in place as he approached the Gate. The black stallion was quiet as his red eyes scanned the Gates surface and he looked to the minions that stood with him.

“Well done.” He said to the diggers and they squealed in delight at the praise. “Return to the Netherworld and inform Gnarl of the Gates location.”

Grubby saluted as the minions leaped through the minion gates and left his side. The stallion walked up to the Gates metal stairs and let the azure lightning course over him. Spike walked up to the Gate and watched as Hunter came back down the stairs and walked back toward the dragons.

“That will do for now. Should anything happen I will be able to get back home easily.” Hunter said as Sorkeno nodded.

“So that’s why you had one made?” Spike asked as he followed Hunter.

“Yes. Should anything that Gnarl cannot handle come to pass then I can go back and tend to it.” Hunter explained as Spike nodded. “I do not anticipate anything happening but there is a chance. This will allow me to act quickly.”

“I guess that makes sense. What are you going to do for the rest of your vacation?” Spike asked him.

“I’m not sure. Once this is over I had intended to go back to work but now I have extra time to kill.”

“How about a tour of Equestria? I know Twilight would show you around if you wanted. There are a lot of really nice places in Equestria.”

Hunter was quiet as he considered what the baby dragon said. “That could work. I have never been out of my kingdom so I admit now that I am here I know very little about Equestria in terms of geography. I know where the main cities are but that’s about it.”

“See? You could see all of it.” Spike said to him.

“He has a point Little One,” Sorkeno said as he looked at them. “It can benefit you in many ways to see what you can. It might help you to answer the questions you have about yourself as well.”

“You mean how I have no hobbies?” Hunter said to the dragon his tone sarcastic.

“You don’t have a hobby?” Spike asked him.

Hunter rolled his eyes. “No. I have never had time to find one.”

“It will be fun then. You can see Equestria and also find a hobby for fun.” Spike gushed.

“True,” Hunter replied though he knew he sounded unconvinced.

He looked up as the front door to the castle opened and Twilight came out. She had her mane pulled up in a high bun as she set an apple on the ground. She looked over to him and waved him over.

“If I make this apple into a carriage can Sorkeno carry it?” She asked him.

Hunter looked over his shoulder at the dragons claws. “You might want something with a thicker skin.” He admitted. ”Those claws can go through steel.”

She grimaced in response to him and looked at the apple. “Hmm. Any suggestions?”

Hunter was quiet as he considered her plight. He trotted back to the dragon and looked to the golden scales. “Can I have one of your scales?”

The dragon raised his head and tilted his head at the request. “Why?”

“We need you to be able to carry Twilight’s friends but a carriage made from an apple will get punctured by your claws. Your scales are stronger than steel. Can we use one to make a carriage?”

“If you use your magic as well then you might be able to.” Sorkeno agreed and reached over his shoulder to the thick scales on his back. He gave a light pull and gave a thick scale to the Overlord.

Hunters red aura surrounded the scale and he walked back to Twilight and he kicked the apple away from her and set the scale in its place. She stared at the scale for several seconds before she looked back to the golden dragon who gave her a slight nod.

“I’ll hold the scale and your magic will need to guide. I don’t know a spell to turn this into a carriage. You lead and my magic will follow.” He said to her as he picked up the scale and held it several inches off the ground.

“Perfect. Okay, here we go.”

Hunter held the scale as Twilight magenta aura covered the scale over his magic. His magic flowed easily from him as she brought her own to bear and began to warp the scale into a shape. The golden scale shuddered in her grip and he added more of his own magic and the scale began to bend and shape as she brought more of her magic to bear against it. Hunter closed his eyes as the light from her magic grew brighter. Several seconds went by as the Princess worked her own magic and his followed in her wake to ensure that the scale bent properly and held the shape.

“Done!” She gave a thrilled yell and released her magic as he released his own.

The light faded and he opened his eyes to see the golden scale had been altered into a golden carriage. The carriage was easily taller than him and Twilight combined and had solid gold sides. It had a window on the side that showed where the door was. Twilight went up to it and opened the door to look inside. The four wheels were inlaid with gold and they stood close to Twilight in height.

“Wow.” She said aloud as she stared inside it. “It’s even huge inside. I admit I wasn’t really sure what to expect from using the scale instead of the apple.”

“Anything less and I would be shocked. You did use the scale of a golden dragon.” He said to her as he looked over her shoulder and into the ornate interior.

Cushions sat on the gilded benches within it and he had to admit it was more than he had thought it would be and he was glad to see the scale go to good use. His ears flicked back as Sorkeno shifted and he looked back as the dragon nodded top him, clearly pleased with what had been done.

“It will do for them, Little Princess?”

“It’s more than enough Sorkeno,” Twilight called to him. “I have never seen anything look this good before. I mean nothing from a spell book looks like this does.”

“It will do.” He said to her and backed up to allow her to move away from the carriage.

“It will definitely get noticed.” She chuckled. “The girls will love it.”

She closed the door and went back to the castle as Soft Touch came out and motioned for her to come back inside. The handmaiden bowed her head to him as he walked back to the dragons and he looked to her, acknowledging her. Twilight’s horn lit as she angled the carriage to face the front of the castle. Soft Touch stood waiting for her to the side of the door. The Alicorn finished and was ushered back inside by the impatient handmaiden.

The stallion said nothing as the doors closed once more and he shook his head. A quick glance to Spike had the baby dragon shrugging his shoulders and shaking his head as the mare was returned to the others for more primping.

“Mares,” Spike said as the stallion rejoined them.


Hunter looked up to the full-length mirror as his armor settled into place. The silver pieces brought out the blue and silver steaks in his mane and the sapphire blue stood out bright against the bits of gold. The gems that covered the joints of the armor shone enough to distract from the fact that they were hiding the connecting joints. The silver seemed to glow and he turned to the side, he had to admit he liked the cut of the armor. While he had worn it very little he had to admire the look of it now. The sapphire blue that had replaced the gold shone out and blended well with the silver.

He looked into the mirror as several blue minions crawled over him, brushing his fur and tending to his mane and tail. His crown was set in place and the second set of minions began to shine the armor further to make sure it shone on him. The Overlord was quiet as the minions finished with him and jumped to the ground around him. His long mane had been pushed back and his forelock pushed back by his crown to keep it out of his eyes. He set his cloak on his back and let it fall into place. The silver fur brightened against the bright silver of the armor.

“Here we go.” He said to himself as he spun to the door to leave his room.

Spike stood outside his door and greeted the stallion with a wave. “Come on. Twilight is almost ready. She said for you to wait downstairs.”

Hunter nodded and followed the baby dragon down the stairs and into the foyer. The baby dragon was dressed in a tuxedo of his own. The minions followed him and waited with him. Wrath stood at attention as the sound of hooves caught his ear. Spike prodded his leg and the stallions looked down at the baby dragon at his hooves.

“Just wait. Don’t look back yet.” He said.

“Are you serious?” Hunter said to him.

“Trust me.” He said with a sly wink.

Hunter sighed and fought not to roll his eyes. His ears flicked back as the sound of hooves grew louder behind him. The Overlord waited as he glanced down at Spike who looked as if he was waiting for the right signal from behind the stallion. Hunter could feel his own impatience getting to him as he began to stare at the dragon.

“Okay, now you can turn around.” He finally said and Hunter bit back a sigh of annoyance.

He turned around to find Twilight standing at the bottom of the stairs. He blinked for a moment as he looked at her. Her gown had a black bodice with silver adornments. A golden collar went around the V-neck of her gown and shone against the black of her dress. The sleeves were three-quarter length and were rimmed in silver and sapphire. The rest of the gown was swept back off her in three layers. The top layer was a pale blue sheer with small stars that shone from the pale fabric, under that was a deeper blue sheer that had the beginnings of constellations and under that was a dark blue solid fabric. It had the rest of the constellations and more silver stars.

She wore her Regalia, which had been cleaned to a lustrous glow. Her mane had been tied up in a braid at the back and then threaded into her crown. Her bangs had been styled and tied into her crown and swept to the side. A light dusting of makeup glossed over her features without obscuring them. Her tail had been braided and tied with a small sapphire blue bow.

He watched as Twilight came toward him and he smiled as she got a few feet from him. Behind her Soft Touch trialed in her wake, ready to change anything on her gown should the need arise. As he watched the dress flowed off her back and seemed to move with her as if it were the night sky. The constellations were done in diamonds and silver threading. He bowed his head to her as she stopped in front of him.

“You look beautiful.” He said to her.

She flushed under the light makeup and smiled widely. “You look pretty good yourself.” She replied to him.

His horn lit up with his red aura as two boxes appeared in his magic. He gave her the first of them and she opened it to reveal a perfume bottle. She looked at him as her magic levitated the bottle out of the box.

“You remembered?” She said to him as Soft Touch came up to her and took the bottle from her magic.

He watched as Soft Touch applied the perfume in a mist over the mare's form and put a dab of it on each side of her neck. Once she was pleased with the scent the handmaiden backed away and held the bottle carefully in her hooves.

Twilight closed her eyes as the mare sprayed the perfume gently over her and then stepped off to the side. He gave her the second of the boxes and she reached out to grip it in her magic once more. She opened the box to see a smaller silver box encased within and a giggle escaped her.

“A box in a box?” She teased gently.

He shrugged absently as she opened the second box, her eyes going wide. Inside was a large amethyst stone that she recognized. Around it was a line of sparking diamonds, but that was not what had caught her eyes. On each side of the gemstone was a silver wing. One was molded in the shape of a dragon’s wing. On the other side was the wing of an Alicorn. His magic suddenly covered the necklace and the wings closed to hide the gemstone behind them. She gasped as he advanced to her and took the necklace in his hooves.

He said nothing as he opened the clasp and looped it around her neck. He clasped the necklace and backed up as it fell to sit just below her neck. She looked down as he backed up a step and she opened the wings of the necklace to show the gemstone that hid behind them.

“You said it needed a new chain?” She said to him, her voice quiet.

“I may have lied a bit. Would you have given it to me otherwise?” He asked her.

She chuckled and looked from the necklace to him, a blush still on her cheeks. “Probably not. But you didn’t have to get me anything.”

“It is customary to get ones date a gift.” He countered.

“The perfume was more than enough.” She replied, a smile playing on her mouth.

He shook his head. “That is not a proper gift for a Gala.” He teased.

She smiled widely and seemed to give up arguing with him. “Thank you. It’s gorgeous.”

“Shall we?” He asked her and turned to the side with a foreleg outstretched to her.

She smiled and nodded. “Yes. Lets.”

Hunter opened the front doors and they walked out with the other mares on their heels. Spike closed the doors behind them as the others saw their transportation for the evening.

“Darling how did you get one of these?” Rarity gushed at the sight of the golden carriage.

“I made it with Hunter's help.” She explained.

“How?” Fluttershy asked as she stared at the grand carriage.

“We used one of Sorkeno’s scales for it. Since he will be carrying you all it needed to be something with a thick shell to avoid his claws piercing the sides.” Hunter explained as they continued to stare.

“Are we all gonna fit?” Applejack asked him.

“It is more than large enough for all of you.” He replied.

“And you two as well?” Pinkie asked.

Hunter scoffed and pointed his horn to the great golden dragon that raised from his place on the ground. The mares stared as the minions that had been crawling all over the dragons hide slid from its scales to the ground. He had set them to polishing the dragon’s scales two hours earlier. Sorkeno’s scales gleamed in the moonlight. Hunter looked to the mare at his side and nudged her gently.

“You might need a coat. We will not be flying low at first.”

She nodded and her horn lit as she summoned the red cloak he had given to her onto her back. “This is will do perfectly.” She said to him as it settled onto her back and hid a fair portion of her dress.

He chuckled and nodded. “I had forgotten all about that one.” He admitted to her. “But your right. It will do the job.”

“How many cloaks do you have that you forgot this one?” She asked him with a look.

“How many dresses do you have?” He asked her and she looked sheepish at his question.

“Fair point.” She replied with a laugh.

Hunter watched as the other mare got into the carriage with Spike and Sorkeno leaned down to pick up Hunter and Twilight. The dragon looked over both of them and nodded in approval. He set his head down to allow them to jump to his head and get into place. Once they were in place and Hunter had Twilight settled in place close to him the dragon walked over to pick up the carriage. He clutched it as tight as he dared in his claws and took to the air with a gust of wind.

Hunter could hear the girls yelp at the sudden jolt. “Probably should have warned them to hold on.” He said to Twilight who laughed and nodded.

“Oops.” She said to him and they both laughed.

The dragon took to the air, his wings beating easily through the air as he gained in altitude. Hunter held Twilight tightly to keep her steady. They reached a safe altitude and the dragon leveled out. Twilight pulled away from him and looked down from their place and he could see her eyes were wide as she looked up in the direction of Canterlot.

“The guards are going to be so stunned.” She said to him.

“They didn’t see us come over the border so I’m not sure if they will notice us or not.” He jabbed at her.

She looked back at him and he looked away, clearly teasing her. “I admit the border is not well guarded but the capital is different.”

“If you say so.” He said to her as she moved back to his side.

“I have to admit I can see why you love to fly. I can fly on my own but there is something special about flying like this.” She said to him.

“I could do this all day if I was allowed to.” He admitted to her. “I don’t get to as often as I would like but Sorkeno indulges me often enough.”

“I enjoy flying with you, Little One,” Sorkeno said to him.

Hunter patted the dragon’s scales and smiled. “There it is.”

Twilight looked ahead and he watched as she looked a bit tense as they approached the shining capital. “I admit I am a little nervous about flying in with a dragon.”

“It will be fine. Sorkeno is not going to fly in bringing fire and brimstone, he is simply dropping us off.” He assured her.

“I know that. But they don’t.” She admitted to him and he patted her back in comfort.

“If needed I can teleport to the ground to assuage any concerns.” He said to her. “Now that I know how to teleport.”

“You learned it pretty easily. I learned it by accident.” She said to him. “And I know you’re trying to distract me.”

“Is it working?”

“A little.”

He chuckled and held her close as Sorkeno began to descend to the city. Hunter watched as Sorkeno began to check his speed and his descent became slow and deliberate. The Overlord held tightly to the golden scales as the dragon banked slightly to keep his speed low. Hunter breathed in as they looked ahead to see an area lit up as spotlights went through the air, showing where the Gala was taking place. Sorkeno banked as he cleared a tall arch and began to lower his body to the ground. Hunter gripped the Alicorn as Sorkeno’s hind legs went to ground and Hunter leaned over as the carriage with the others was set aside and then his forepaws were set gently on the ground.

He looked up as several guards came racing down the stairs. Twilight’s horn lit as Hunter squeezed her gently and shook his head as she looked to him. Sorkeno angled himself and lowered his head as the guards reached the bottom of the stairs. They could see the two ponies standing on the dragon’s massive head as Hunter stepped out of the notches in the scales and jumped to the ground ahead of Twilight. He reached out a hoof to her and she jumped to the ground and landed beside him, her hoof in his. At the sight of the Princess, the guards stopped and stared openly at her. She smiled as her friends got out of the carriage and joined them.

“Quite the entrance darling.” Rarity said as she took in the sudden attention.

“I am an Overlord and I refuse to be ignored anywhere unless I choose to be.” He replied to the mare.

Applejack shook her head as a smile went over her face. He cast a glance to the others as they joined them. Applejack wore a simple gown with a fitted bodice that was colored in a deep earthy brown. A single strap went around the front of her chest, while it was littered with several prismatic gemstones. The back of her gown was light tan with apple designs along the edges and they spiraled through the gown.

Rarity walked up to them with a sky blue dress that had silver gemstone littering the entire fabric. It had one strap that held the dress in place and then flowed over her to the ground behind it. The dress had a slight train that didn’t allow it to get under hoof should somepony get to close behind her. Rainbow stood close by as her own gown fell behind her. A single fabric had been used for her as well but it had several prismatic colors going through it. A simple vest style held it in place as she stood, waiting for the others.

Fluttershy wore a green dress that had the images of several leaves embroidered into the fabric that rose from her back to give it definition. She had several leaves designed pins that sat in her hair and they continued from the base of her mane to the last strands. Pinkie was the last to join them as she stared toward the party hall ahead of them. She wore a dress that featured layers of ruffles with a hat of roses that fit into her mane.

He didn’t look too deeply at each of the other dresses and focused mainly on Twilight and her attire. Behind him, Sorkeno kept his head low to avoid not being able to hear if anything happened on the ground. Hunter took Twilights leg once more and led her up the stairs and allowed her friends to go first into the Gala.

“We will have to wait since we have to be announced.” She said to him as they waited as the usher took the invitations.

“Of course.” He replied to her and gave an understanding look.

A pony came out to them and Twilights magic gave him her cloak and the pony reached for Hunter. The stallion paused at the glowing red eyes of the Princesses date as the Overlords red aura gave the cloak to him. Twilight held back a laugh as the pony hurried away from them and they stepped up to be announced. Twilight gave the usher a piece of paper that had been written out by her previously.

“Announcing Princess of Friendship, Twilight Sparkle and her date for the evening High Overlord of the Netherworld Empire, Hunter Flame!” The pony announced and looked up as the armored stallion and the mare walked past him.

Hunter could feel the stares of many ponies turning to them as they walked into the room. He said nothing as he advanced with Twilight on his foreleg.


Luna’s ears flicked as the announcement went out for Twilight. Her eyes went wide at the name that was announced with her. She looked to her sister who was now looking back at her. The Sun Princess made her way to her younger sister and she ducked her head to speak to her.

“Did you hear what I did?” She asked the Moon Princess.

“We think so.” She replied as they both made their way to the first room of the Gala.

Luna paused at the doorway with her sister and her eyes went wider than they had before. A tall armored Unicorn stood with the Princess of Friendship. “It can’t be.” She whispered.

“Luna?”

“That’s him!” She whispered frantically. “The Overlord! She brought him here!” Her hoof pointing comically to the armored pony.

Luna looked to her sister just in time for her to see her sister’s jaw fall open.

Author's Note:

Here we go. The beginning of the Gala! I might add some later but for now, it will do. Thank you as always and enjoy!

PreviousChapters Next