• Published 25th Apr 2018
  • 14,885 Views, 916 Comments

An Overlord Apart - OblivionShadow



An emissary is needed to visit the Northern borders of Equestria. Beyond them is the Netherworld Empire. An Overlord awaits.

  • ...
23
 916
 14,885

PreviousChapters Next
17: Corruption and History...

Hunter was quiet as he supervised the rebuilding of the streets and buildings. His armor sat in place, still for the time being. The minions carried pieces of stone and lumber to aid in the construction. It had been several days since he had brought his sentence onto the ponies of the Empire and returned its control to his own rule. His hooves thudded against the rebuilt stone paths as he walked toward the mine that had been his prison for a day. He neared the entrance and he could see the minions rebuilding the entrance to allow for it to be used by the minions and monitored by the ponies. His magic gripped the old metal door and he looked it over as the minions raced around him. Wrath sat quietly on his back and held whatever materials Hunter gave him. So far he was holding a clipboard and an armload of stone and marble sample tiles.

“Sire?”

Hunter looked over his shoulder as Light Gaze came up to him. His eyes landed on the burdened minion on Hunters back and the metal door hovering close by. Wrath growled under his breath at the look and Gaze looked to Hunter once more.

“What is it Gaze?” Hunter said to him and looked back to the mine entrance.

“Just checking in. The ruins of the Noble Quarter have been cleared. The minions have been going through the former Emissaries home and they are prepping the area for grass.” He replied.

“Good. Ensure that the areas are made ready and prepare the plans for what could go into those spaces.” Hunter replied.

Gaze bowed his head and turned to leave his side. “Sire?”

Hunter looked back to him once more. “Yes?”

“Thank you.”

“For?”

“All that you have done. I know that this is your job but you didn’t have to help so many as you retook the city. No innocent ponies were killed because of your strength and courage.” Gaze said to him.

Hunter was quiet as the other spoke. “They are mine to rule. But first and most important, they are mine to protect. I will not fail them and I will always stand for them. I promised that when I retook the city and I will not break my word.” Hunter replied. “But I am glad that so many were not harmed.”

Gaze smiled and bowed his head once more as he trotted back the way he had come. Hunter watched as he left him behind and the stallion felt a smile tug at his mouth. His heartbeat steady in his chest as he looked back to the metal door in his magic. His eyes scanned it and he sent it to the netherworld for Giblet to poke at. He wanted to know exactly what it was made of that it could prevent Green’s claws from breaking through it. Her claws, while not as strong as Sorkeno’s or Kaiana’s should still have been able to break through the metal. He turned and left the mine behind him as he moved back toward the former Noble Quarter and he trotted toward it as the burned wood and metal was removed.

His eyes went over the blank spaces as he trotted past them and he hoped the land would recover enough to grow grass. He was aware that normally it would not be able to recover but he knew that if needed he could ask Sorkeno to breathe life back into it. The Lord Dragon held the flames of the others and one was able to give life to broken earth. He looked to the skies where the four dragons circled the city. He had told them that they could leave if they wished but the four adults and three youngsters had chosen to stay with him. While he knew that Sorkeno and Kaiana would most likely stay he was a bit shocked at the others. When he had asked they claimed that they had been called to him and they were not going to leave without him. He could sense their connection to him and he loved them for it.

His long strides carried deeper into the charred space and he watched as ponies milled about. He looked to the ponies as they paused and bowed their heads to him. Hunter acknowledged them but kept up his pace. He reached the end of the street and he spun to look at the block of charred earth. He grimaced at the sight and looked up as he called on Sorkeno to come to him. The dragon broke away from the others and circled down to land on the vacant ground behind him.

“Yes, Little One?” Sorkeno said as he lowered his head to sit on the ground behind Hunter.

“I was wondering if I could get your opinion.” He replied as the dragon settled down.

“What do you need?”

“Do you think the land here will recover on its own?”

Sorkeno raised his head to look over the charred earth and his eyes scanned it. “I do not think it will anytime soon.” Sorkeno admitted. “The combined flames of the four of us have robbed it of life for a time.”

“Damnit.” Hunter cursed at the response.

“I can aid it in its recovery if needed,” Sorkeno said to him.

“It’s my own fault. I may have gotten carried away.” He admitted with a huff. “You aren’t here to correct my mistakes.

“It matters not whose fault it is, Little One.” Sorkeno reasoned to him. “Do you wish my aid?”

Hunter paused as he looked over the charred ground. “Yes. It needs to live for the ponies that will live, work and play around this place.”

“You are wise to admit to it,” Sorkeno said as he got to his paws and nuzzled Hunter gently before walking past him.

The golden dragon was quiet as he breathed in and looked to the grounds around him. Golden flames built in his mouth as he angled his jaws to the ground and he breathed the flames to the ground ahead of him. The flames flowed from him as though alive and flowed over the charred ground. It covered the ground and ponies yelled as it flowed under their hooves to cover the entire area. Sorkeno closed his jaws and looked to the covered ground as the liquid flame covered the ground and began to seep into it. After a minute above ground, all of the flames had been absorbed into the ground and it trembled in place as life was being breathed back into the ground. The tremor passed and Sorkeno turned to bow his head to the Overlord who bowed his head in reply to the Lord Dragon.

Hunter watched as Sorkeno took to the air once more and rejoined the others circling above them. The Overlord smiled at the dragon as his wings carried him back into the skies above them. He looked up as Twilight flew toward him. His eyes narrowed slightly as she neared him and he could see that she was alone which was odd to him. Lately, her friends, Soft Touch, or even Red were always with her. She banked her wings as she saw him and a smile crossed her muzzle. She banked her wings and landed softly close to him.

“There you are.” She said to him as she reached him.

“Looking for me?” He asked her and she nodded in reply. “What is it?”

“I have a few questions for you if you have some extra time.” She said back to him.

Hunter was quiet as he looked over his shoulder to the grumbling minion. His magic covered the tile samples and he set them on the ground to allow Wrath to rest his arms. The minion panted and leaned over Hunter's neck to nuzzle him in thanks. Twilight giggled at the minion as he slid to the ground and laid down at Hunter's side, the clipboard sitting on his chest.

“Poor Wrath.” She giggled.

“I had honestly forgotten he was still carrying those.” He admitted.

Twilight barked a laugh as Wrath sighed and closed his eyes, clearly intending to rest while Hunter showed no signs of moving. Hunter sighed and patted the minion’s leg gently. Hunter’s magic covered the clipboard as he marked off items that he had cleared and set it back on the minion at his side.

“I have time.” He said to her. “What do you need to know?”

“How are you doing?” She asked him.

“I’m fine. Nothing lasting thankfully. A few bruises and a headache, nothing more. And you?”

“I’m okay. Thank Celestia everypony came out of that okay. You did a lot to make sure the ponies were going to be safe and okay.”

“They are mine to protect, I will always stand for them.” He replied. “They put their belief in me once more and I will never fail them.”

Twilight nodded in approval at his reply and sat down at his side. “What did he just do?”

“Who? Sorkeno?”

“Yeah.”

“As the Lord Dragon he has the flames of all dragons and that one is meant to bring life to the world around him.” Twilight tilted her head at him and he went on to explain. “It is meant to give life to what had gone dead. In this case, the land that the four of them had charred had gone dead due to the trauma. I asked him to use that flame to give that life back to help it to recover faster. It is not an instant fix but is meant to speed up the process.”

“Oh wow. That’s quite the fire.” She replied. “It didn’t look like a flame though, least not like the normal kind.”

“That’s true. It’s a liquid flame that covered the land that it sensed was dead and needed to be regenerated.” He supplied.

“Sensed?”

“It’s a living flame in some way. It doesn’t have a consciousness of its own in the sense that you might be thinking. It can sense that which is dead or mangled and will seek it out. That is why it covered the land completely.”

“How interesting. Is it okay if I write a letter about it to Princess Celestia when we get back?” She asked him. “We will write it together but I wanted to ask ahead of time.”

“That should be fine. It’s nothing that is a huge secret.” He replied.

“Thank you.”

“Was that it?”

“Of course not.” She replied with a laugh.

“I was afraid of that.” He chuckled.

She looked away from him and then back to him, her face solemn. “That magic you used before?”

“Which one?” He replied.

“The dark one.” She snapped at him, her expression stern.

“I figured.” He replied with a sigh. “What do you want to know?”

“What is it?” She asked him. “I have never seen anything like it before.”

“I would hope you hadn’t.” He replied, quietly. “It is a magic that has been in my family since the beginning.”

She looked at him and nodded to him, trying to get him to go on. “And?”

“At one point my family was not what you see now. At one point we were the opposite of now.” He went on at her look. “Our subjects were conquered and ruled under a true steel hoof. They were not permitted anything aside from what they were allowed, which was little. Just enough to live off.” He paused and he glanced to her to see her inquisitive expression. “We were once called the Dark Gods of the North.”

“What?” Twilight quipped to him, her expression shocked. “Why?”

“My ancestors were rulers in the most brutal sense of the word. They took and gave very little back. That style of ruling went on for a long time and their lineage showed its brutal nature at every turn. The ponies were not permitted to speak out against them or face the destruction of not only their family but the entire village.” Twilight eyes went wide as he spoke. “There came a time when one decided to change it, the youngest son. He pushed back the darkness that controlled the entire family line and pushed it away. The Dark Tower was once above ground and rose easily as high as the tallest of towers in that area. The son left it and found the Netherworld. He molded it into a place that he could command without the use of the dark magic that held his family. In time he rose against them.”

“He went against his family?” She whispered to him.

“Yes. He was the first. His family, of course, pushed back and he fought back against them. Unbeknownst to them he had gone to the dragons in the high mountains and reached out to them for help.”

“He did what?” Twilight said to him.

Hunter smiled and nodded at her. “Yes. He had gone to them to ask them to help him overthrow his family and bring down the Tower. The dragons had thrown him out of their lands, injured and beaten but he came back. Day after day he came back to them, showing him his heart and his desire to save his ponies, not enslave them. By the end, they agreed. They healed him and they stayed back until he sounded a dragon bone horn to call them. His family brought their magic and their forced army against him and he called for the dragons. They came from the mountains and their fire burned a hole through the Tower. His father found him on the battlefield and struck him down, injuring him badly. A young golden dragon tore from the skies and landed to help.”

Twilight’s eyes lit up at the mention of the color. “Sorkeno?”

Hunter nodded. “Yes. He was barely old enough to have his name and he went to him. His flames breathed down and drove the maddened Overlord back to allow the pony to get up. He looked to the dragon who now stood with him and reached out to thank him. The young pony took control of his own true magic and brought it to bear against his father and struck him to the ground. The battle went on until the Tower fell to the ground, the dust kicked up and the ponies fled from the battlefield and hid among the forest, fleeing the dragons and the flames. When the fire faded and the smoke cleared only the son remained standing, his father, two brothers, and mother were slain that day.”

Twilight gasped and set a hoof on his shoulder for a moment. “Wow.”

“When it was over he stood with the young dragon that came to his side and the ponies slowly looked to him. His eyes were no longer the black of his family and now showed blue. He had cast aside their rage, hatred, and evil and sought to make it right in the ash of the past. The ponies stayed away as he walked to them. He told them that he had overthrown his family to save them and he wanted to show them that he would not harm them. Their lives were his to protect and he would fight for them should they need him. He was the first.” Hunter said to her.

“And the rest is history.” She smiled at his words. “But didn’t he get rid of that evil?”

“He pushed it away from him but it is never truly gone. Gnarl told me that Evil Always Finds a Way. He’s right. It has haunted my family line ever since. Every foal born carries it. It cannot be avoided or purified. My father before me and his before him, all the way back to the first.” He replied to her, his face somber as she listened to him. "So long as my line lives that evil will always be there. We cannot escape it. We are meant to grapple with it even now. No matter how many colts and fillies come from the line it remains.”

“It’s immune to that magic dampening?” She asked him.

“Yes. It is not truly a type of magic. It’s a corruption that comes from the soul and spirit. It’s not commanded by my horn or anything similar to that. It cannot be removed either. Not even Sorkeno can remove it. My father asked him to try and nothing they did could get rid of it.” He explained.

“Wow. So it’s just permanent?”

“Yep. No way to get rid of it. I look at it as a constant reminder of what not to become. It’s toxic if used for too long so I try to avoid it unless I have no choice.”

“What do you mean toxic?”

“After a while it starts to corrode the mind and eventually it takes over and you lose the sense of who you are, leaving you at its mercy. I was told that you revert back to what we used to be. I try to avoid it due to the chance of losing control of it.” He explained to her.

“Are you okay though? You used it for a while.” She asked him, concern in her eyes.

“I’m fine. It has no power over me thankfully. I have never felt the need to push it so I am not sure of how long I can use it before it starts to affect me but I have no desire to try it.”

“That’s good. It has its uses I suppose but still.” She said to him. “What about the mist that went onto the ground?”

Hunter was quiet as he considered what she had said. “Mist?” He thought back and understanding crossed his face. “Oh that. It’s more of a poison cloud than a mist. It covers the ground and slowly poisons anypony or anything that gets caught up in it. I admit it went on a little longer than I would normally allow it to. It attacks the body directly and basically kills from the inside out.” He explained to her.

Twilight cringed at the description. “So you have had this since you were born.” He nodded at her words. “How did you control it then?”

Hunter chuckled. “I didn’t.”

Twilight said nothing as he replied and she tilted her head at his short reply. “Then how?”

“My mother did.” He replied simply and went on as she stared at him. “It was overwhelming at times but my mother was able to push it back and keep it in check. All the mares of my line have the ability to keep it back. They gain the ability when they become connected to their mate.”

“How is that possible?” She asked him. “How do you gain a type of magic simply by marrying a pony?”

Hunter looked at her and she stared, waiting for him to explain. “Marrying them isn’t how they gain that power.”

He said nothing as she looked confused at his explanation. He watched her as she seemed to be thinking it over. He held back a chuckle as her eyes widened and she looked at him. Her mouth opened to speak, but no sound came out as he watched understanding come over her. She looked away as a bright red blush went over her face. Her wings flared off her back and she reached back to pull them forward to cover her face. He held back a laugh at her expense and she hid behind her wings. Hunter waited as she recovered before he said anything more.

“Yeah.”

Twilight squeaked as he spoke and held her wings tighter in her hooves. “Oh…Geez…” She whimpered.

“You asked.” He said to her as he laughed at her. “It is a power that is gifted to her after she is with her mate and allows her to push that evil back and keep her foal safe. The stronger the bond between the parents allows for that skill to be stronger, her bond to her foal is stronger for it and allows her to protect them.”

Twilight cleared her throat and allowed her wings to go back to her sides and she looked at him, her cheeks still red. “That’s quite the ability.” She whispered.

“It is, yes,” Hunter replied.

“So who is the source of the…evil?”

“The father,” Hunter replied.

“Can a mare be the source?”

“No. Any foals born of the pair are always the same.” He said and she looked uncertainly at him. “The first is always a colt. Any foals after that vary. Normally if there are more than one there are at least two colts. I have checked the history and there has never been a filly born with it. The first colt is the automatic heir, same as anywhere else I assume. I’m not sure what protects them but Sorkeno assumes that it is due to the old magic.”

“Old magic?”

“Yes. We have never been able to figure out where it came from. We have theories but nothing concrete so I have no real answers for you.” He said to her.

“How long did it take you to control it?”

Hunter snorted and looked to the skies, watching the dragons for a moment before he looked to her once more. “There are still days I think I do not control it. When my mother died Sorkeno and my father took over. While they could not completely control it they did well enough. When I lost him as well Gnarl and Sorkeno stepped up further. Sorkeno was able to do more due to the connection between him and me. That allowed me to be able to gain control to hold it back on my own.”

“That must have been the hardest part of it all.” She said to him.

“When there is no pony left to protect you one must learn fast. I had been warned several times and I learned about our history to make sure I understood it. I quizzed Gnarl endlessly about it and he gave me the information I required after some yelling on my part.”

“Yelling?”

“Okay maybe yelling was the wrong word. He was that I needed the stories to understand what was constantly at the front of my mind. I was slowly being overrun by that evil and he realized that if I fell there was no pony to stop me.”

“What about Sorkeno?”

“He would be corrupted with me,” Hunter admitted.

“Oh.”

“Yes. So he gave me what I wanted and I dove into the old books. I was tired of being the one to be protected. I wanted to protect as they had and take control of my kingdom and my own future. So I learned.”

Twilight was quiet as he finished speaking. She considered what she had been told and he stayed silent as she processed it all. He looked up as Dezhara ran toward him and he reached out to pet her as she reached him. Her fur ruffled under his hoof and she laid down close to him.

“So what about if a mare from Equestria came here and became a mate?”

“Same thing. There have been mares from Equestria in my line. A few actually.” He said in reply. “My great grandmother was of Equestria. It changes nothing.”

Twilight appeared thoughtful and was quiet once more. “Okay, so borders mean nothing. Interesting.”

Hunter was quiet as he got to his hooves. He stretched his back and his armor tightened on his form as Sorkeno suddenly roared above him, the other three dragons calling out and fire poured from their jaws. He looked down the street as the ground trembled under the paws of the three young dragons. They barreled toward him as Sorkeno landed roughly behind him. The young ones slid to a stop ahead of him and began to circle him, pushing him toward the golden dragon.

“What in the?” He leaned back as Sorkeno laid down to look at him.

“It is time Little One.” He breathed out.

“What is…Oh shit? The eggs?”

“Yes. They are beginning to call out to the others.” Sorkeno nodded as he spoke.

“Great. Okay, I need Gnarl brought here to command the repairs and…Twilight?”

The purple mare had jumped out of the way and looked to him. “Yes?”

“Can you make sure that they make it back to the Netherworld okay? I can’t miss…Will you stop pushing me?” He snapped at the three young dragons who backed off for the moment. “I can’t miss the hatching or I will have more issues to deal with.”

“I understand. I will do all that I can to help.” She assured him. “Oh.”

“Hmm?” He looked at her.

“When we get back to the Netherworld can you and I meet up to write a letter to Princess Celestia?”

“Oh sure. That will be fine. It takes about two weeks for the hatching so by the time I am free again you will be back. So that will work fine.” He replied as Green pushed his flank. “I will kick you.” He growled to the female, who didn’t appear concerned about his half threat.

Wrath jumped to the stallions back and held on tightly. Dezhara growled and yelped but Hunter’s magic set her next to the purple Alicorn. Twilight reached out and gripped her fur to keep her back. Hunter waited as Sorkeno waited for him to jump to the dragon’s snout to get into his normal place to travel. The Overlord leaped to the dragon’s snout and looked back to her.

“I will have Gnarl brought to you to help you. Work with him to get the city back on its hooves. It’s not the first time he has helped rebuild a city.” Hunter picked up the dropped clipboard and it hovered close to her and she took it into her magic and sat down to hold both it and the wolf.

“Don’t worry about it! I got this!” She shouted at him and waved him off. “I’ll ask Gaze if I need help inside the city.”

“Yes. He knows the city like the back of his hoof.” Hunter agreed and looked back to the dragons above them, still calling and the occasional fire tore over the sky as they called to him. “Take care of my ponies.” He said to her, his expression serious.

Twilight nodded to him. “I promise. I’ll get my friends to help and it will be as if it never happened.”

Hunter nodded to her as he got into his normal place and the golden dragon took to the air.


Twilight shielded herself from the dust and wind from the dragons. Maranna and Setan came down to pick up the young dragons and Red jumped back to nuzzle her and she hugged his nose and told him to be safe on his way home. She had grown attached to the large red youngster and she watched them leave her and the others behind. She looked to Dezhara who whined and complained at her side and she tugged on the thick fur and turned to go back to the city and help where she was needed. She looked at the clipboard and found ala long list of items to tend to and check that they were progressing. Her eyes widened at the length of the list which she found was over four pages long.

“And Spike thinks I do lists. Wow.” She said as she flipped through the pages.

Her hooves carried her back to the city and she looked around her to see if she could see Light Gaze anywhere near her. She looked at a minion close to her and her magic grabbed the armored minion who stared at her as she spoke. “I need Light Gaze.” She said and the minion nodded and she dropped it to the ground as it ran off.

She waited in place for the minion and she went over the list some more. A snort caught her attention and she saw Light Gaze standing in front of her.

“You called for me, Princess?” He said to her.

“Yes. Thank you. Hunter had to go back to the Netherworld so he asked that I help get everything sorted out before we left. He will also be having Gnarl come here to help as well.”

“Oh, he’s making Gnarl leave the Netherworld?” He asked and she nodded. “Oh, he is going to be in a wonderful mood. I haven’t seen that minion leave there for an extended time in a very long time.”

Twilight giggled and nodded. “I bet. So he asked that I ask your help with the repairs and with finding things in the city. Do you have time?”

“Of course. I am at your command, Princess.” He said to her with a polite bow. “What do you need?”

“I have his list and I don’t really know where anything is.” She admitted with a shrug.

“Not a problem. May I?” He reached for the clipboard and she gave it to him. “Okay.”

“He looked at the list and his eyes widened. Twilight laughed at his expression. “It’s quite the list isn’t it?”

“Does he really intend to do all of this today?” He said.

“What?”

“Look at the end of the final page.” Eh held it out to her and she moved to stand next to him to look.

“End of day five.” She looked to the older pony who shrugged. “Wow.”

“Okay. I do not know about you but I doubt I have the stamina in these old bones to walk that long.” He admitted to her.

“That’s fine. I don’t think I could get through all of this today either.” She replied with a laugh. “We will do our best and see how we do.”

He nodded as she walked ahead, leading him toward the first item on his list, repairing the gaping hole in the main street where the destroyed house once stood.


Hunter leaned low on the dragons back as the wind swept past him. He could hear Wrath grumbling on his back as the minion held tightly to his armor. He glanced back to make sure the minion had all four limbs on his armor to avoid him falling. The Overlord looked back and he could see the other dragons on Sorkeno’s tail. Kaiana looked to him and he smiled to her as she flew as close to the Lord Dragons wing as she dared without upsetting his flight. She roared to him and barrel-rolled, clearly pleased at being out and flying. He looked ahead as Sorkeno growled to alert him to where they were. He patted the dragons back as the golden form slid through the air and he angled down to the ground. A large hole in the ground loomed ahead of them and the dragons pulled back to allow each of them to fly easily and safely into the gaping hole.

Hunter held tighter as the dragon slid into the hole, his body angling through the turns, his wings at his sides and soon they erupted from the hole and Hunter looked back to ensure the others had made it through safely and he smiled at the sight of the other three dragons and the young ones holding tightly to the backs of the other. Sorkeno banked hard and Hunter paused to make sure Wrath was with him and the others broke from them to head directly to the Lair while Sorkeno paused by the platforms to allow Hunter to toss Wrath from his back with a letter to Gnarl with Hunters commands. He gripped the minion in his magic and threw him through the air and the armored minion rolled to his feet and ran for the Minion Master.

“Go,” Hunter yelled as his magic summoned his saddlebags and held them close to him.

Sorkeno dropped away from the platform and Hunter watched as the Lair drew up on the front of them and the dragon winged over the entrance and dropped to land close to the cavern that they were now moving the chirping eggs into to allow their attendants to do their jobs while staying out of the way. The dragons slid through the entrance and then flowed into the next cavern. Sorkeno flowed over the ground and circled the eggs, Hunter jumped from his back as Kaiana joined them.

“Did you get what you needed?” She asked him as he hugged her nose.

He pointed to his saddlebags and nodded to her. “Yep. Dropped off Wrath and he took the letter to Gnarl to get him to go to the Empire at my command.”

“Everything is in place as you need it to be?” She went on.

“Yes. Asked Twilight to get with Light Gaze to keep the repairs moving forward so that will keep things moving forward.” He said and looked at the eggs, his eyes going over them. “Only five?”

“Yes, the others were silent,” Maranna said to him as she joined them.

“Bummer.” He said to them. “Hopefully all of these ones make it.”

The dragons nodded in agreement with him as he jumped over Sorkeno’s tail to stay close to the eggs as well. He put an ear onto the closest egg and he could hear the loud chirping and the sound of the baby moving inside the egg. A smile went over his mouth as he listened and he jumped back as the egg moved.

“Feisty.” He said aloud as Kaiana laughed.

“Perhaps that one will bond to you as well.” Maranna laughed.

“I hope not. Can you imagine trying to keep a newborn dragon from following me around the Tower? By the Dark, I have enough to worry about.” He complained.

Hunter sat down next to the golden dragon’s snout and leaned into him as he slid to the ground, waiting with the other dragons for the eggs to break open.

Author's Note:

Okay, here we go. Another ready to go! Happy Easter! This is your present! Thank you for reading and as always Enjoy!

Edit: 5/19/2019

PreviousChapters Next