• Published 25th Apr 2018
  • 14,861 Views, 916 Comments

An Overlord Apart - OblivionShadow



An emissary is needed to visit the Northern borders of Equestria. Beyond them is the Netherworld Empire. An Overlord awaits.

  • ...
23
 916
 14,861

PreviousChapters Next
22: Discuss an Invitation...

Hunter walked down the stairs and emerged from behind his throne to see Gnarl waiting for him. The stallion chuckled at the Minion Masters look and sat down on the throne. He looked up as Gnarl kept giving him a look and he finally sighed in exasperation.

“Nothing happened. I swear on the Netherworld nothing happened.” He assured the Minion Master. “Sorkeno would not have brought her up there if he thought that I was going to mount her.” He countered as the Minion Master continued to stare.

The Advisor was quiet as the Overlord spoke and finally nodded after a pregnant pause. “While I do believe in you Lord, I do ask that you do not have any mares in your room until you are engaged to one.”

Hunter fought back a snort of laughter and nodded at the minion’s request. “Agreed. Now have Light Gaze brought in. After that, I do need to speak with you at some length. A new…development has come up.”

The Minion Master bowed his head and motioned over his shoulder for the minions to bring in the older stallion. “At your command, Master.”

Light Gaze trotted into the room and Hunter waited for him to come close enough to be heard easily. Behind the pony, several servants brought out a crate and set it behind the elder pony. Hunter’s ears flicked intently forward as Gaze waited to be addressed. The black Unicorn remained still as Gnarl came forward a step and addressed the ponies.

“You stand before the High Overlord of the North and your lateness has been forgiven. Overlord Hunter Flame will now hear your words.” The Minion said, his tone stiff.

Light Gaze bowed his head as Gnarl backed up to stand in place beside Hunter's throne. The elder pony waited as Hunter leaned forward slightly.

“Welcome to the Netherworld Gaze. It’s been a while since you were last here.” Hunter said to him.

“It has. It is good to see that things are very similar to how they used to be but it is clear who is now ruling in your Lord Fathers place. I come to you to ask you a question.” He began.

Hunter leaned further forward and trained his eyes on the crate behind the pony’s legs. “I trust that the box holds the substance of your question?”

“You are correct My Lord.” Gaze said as he backed up and stood on the other side of the box.

His hooves pulled the lid off and a golden glow came from within the box. Hunter watched as Wrath went to the box and he saw the surprised look on the minions face slowly turn into confusion. It looked back to him and he slowly got to his hooves. Dezhara came to his side as he walked down the stairs and Gnarl remained in place at the throne. His armored hooves thudded dully on the carpet as he came to stand next to the earth pony and his eyes widened.

“What in the Netherworld?” He whispered as his eyes took in the sight before him. “Is that what I think it is?”

“If you think it looks like the dark crystals you mine from within the Netherworld then yes.” Gaze replied and nodded his head. “We found it within the deeper tunnels of the Empire mine.”

“Gnarl,” Hunter called to the minion behind him. “You need to see this and call Giblet.”

A minion raced past him at Gnarls order and the Minion Master joined him. His red eyes looked at the Advisor who looked just as surprised as his Master.

“Where did this come from?” He finally asked.

“The mine that I was held in. One of the deeper tunnels held it.” Hunter informed him.

“I have not seen ore like this in many years.” He began and paused as the glow went over his features.

“How long ago?” Hunter asked him.

“Not since the first Overlords. Not since the Dark Tower fell.” Gnarl admitted.

Hunter’s eyes widened once more at the minion's admittance. “By the Dark. So how did it get to the Empire?”

“At one time the Dark Towers influence spread far and wide. It seeped into the grounds that it sat upon. You have the netherworld that holds the power within itself. You have the ability to call upon the magic of the Netherworld and it will answer you if needed.” Gnarl said as he looked to the black stallion.

“That’s true but I have never used it,” Hunter replied. “I don’t even know how.”

“We can still teach you, Lord,” Gnarl replied with an absent pat to the stallion's shoulder. “But there was a time when the Tower was the source of terror and fear in this realm. That fear sank into the land and it is what created the dark crystals. Even now the land is still saturated in the past and the crystals are still a part of our lives. Even when those of us are gone they will remain. Normally they gather in the Netherworld but the Empire is closer to the former Tower so it is possible that a vein of them was found.” Gnarl explained as the others listened.

“So it is possible that a single vein did not make it to the Netherworld before it was discovered and mined?” Hunter asked further.

“Yes. Though in this form it is not as potent as it would be if it had made it here.” Gnarl went on.

“I see. Should we block off that part of the Mine and let it go on its way then?” Hunter asked further.

“No. It has been exposed to the outside world and can no longer be used for your armor or the minions. It will always be weaker than the pure strains here.” Gnarl explained to them.

“Go ahead and mine it then,” Hunter said to the elder pony who nodded. “Don’t let the ponies handle it if it can be avoided. Have it sent here in its raw form and we will use it here.”

“Understood Sire.” Gaze said and bowed his head. “I came to inform you also of the rebuilding and the progress that has been made.”

Hunter nodded and went back to his throne, Dezhara, and Gnarl on his heels. “Go ahead, Gaze.” He said as he sat down.


Hunter watched as Giblet and the minions with him hauled the ore away to the Forge. The black stallion considered what could be done with the trash ore but he pushed the thought to the back of his mind. He knew that he needed to keep it away from the ponies of the Empire since it was not meant for them to handle. He had never personally handled on crystal for very long. Ten minutes at the longest and even then he gave it to the minions to handle. His red eyes fell on the Advisor at his side and a smile tugged at the side of his mouth as Gnarl turned to look at him.

“You needed to speak with me further Master?” Gnarl said as he looked to the Black Unicorn.

“Yes,” Hunter replied and looked at the minion, his red eyes bright. “You recall that formal dance that Equestria throws every year?”

Gnarl looked thoughtful and nodded after a second’s hesitation. “Yes, Master. We decline them every year. Shall I send the notice to them?”

“That is what I wanted to discuss with you.” The stallion had a mischievous glint in his eye as he looked at the Advisor. “I got asked to go.”

“Oh? Of course, you did. They send you the invitation every year and…” Gnarl paused at the look for the stallion. “By whom?”

“Princess Twilight asked me if I would be her date to the Gala.”

Gnarl startled and nearly toppled off the top step of the stairs. Hunter gripped his thin arm with his magic to allow the minion to recover. The Minion Master blinked and shook his head to clear it and looked at the now grinning stallion. Hunter bit back a chuckle at the minion’s expense and waited for him to speak.

“Yeah that was about my response,” Hunter admitted with a bark of laughter. “The look on Celestia’s and Luna’s faces might be worth the effort.” He added with a laugh.

Gnarl finished recovering and the red aura released his arm. “It could be to our benefit.”

“How so?”

“This a typical first date for ponies from what I have learned over time.” Hunter’s ears pinned slightly at his words but he minion went on. “You must be able to attract a suitable mare for your line to go on, Master.”

Hunter groaned and his hooves covered his face. “Not you too.” He growled. “Ugh if it’s not Kaiana and Sorkeno reminding me then it’s you.”

“It is something to think about Master. Your Lord father was married by your age.” Gnarl went on, the minion was not dissuaded by his Master's grumbling. “One must think ahead Master.”

“I think ahead enough thank you,” Hunter grumbled. “Do you think she is trying to use me for her own reasons?” Hunter asked, trying desperately to turn the conversation away from marriage and other topics.

“I doubt it, Master. The young Princess is far too innocent for such things. You recall how upset she was by the reading of her letters.”

“That’s true. She was pretty bent out of shape about it. So you think it was just to ask me to this formal dance, thing?”

“Yes, Master. I also have other reasons that could be beneficial to the Netherworld as a whole.” Gnarl advised.

“Go ahead.”

“It will allow you to see their kingdom and its system of governing. You will also be able to test their structure and to see how things sit against your own kingdom. You will also be able to test their political structure itself against the one you have.”

“Why does politics matter?” Hunter asked.

“They allow the Noble caste to have a greater say in the running of the kingdom as a whole.” Gnarl supplied.

Hunter looked to him for several seconds the information went through his mind. “Why in the Dark would they still have the Noble caste? I removed it for a reason.”

“They have not been faced with a need to remove it as of yet. You were faced with a reason and removed the problem they were causing. Which is still one of your best decisions.” Gnarl praised as he finished speaking.

“I still regret nothing as far as that choice went. I only regret allowing the Empire the illusion for longer than I should have allowed it.”

“They allow it so long as choices are made for the benefit of all ponies,” Gnarl explained further and Hunter snorted in reply. “They are permitted their status so long as ponies are well taken care of and not harmed by their peers.”

“Very well. I see your point. I should have known all that without asking you. It would be helpful to see it first hoof.” Hunter finally agreed after a delay of several seconds. “We can also look into other things while there.”

“Such as?”

“The pony that sold the Governess the monsters for her Arena. Top Quote said that she used a different supplier than the one he recommended. Knowing her it was cheaper or they were foolish enough to fall for her tricks.” Hunter replied, his hoof bumping gently against his chin.

“Ahh, I had forgotten that Master. Well done.” Gnarl replied with a change of tone. “You will also be seen by the ponies of that kingdom and they will learn to not challenge or go against your Dark Majesty.”

“True. I can also look into commerce and trade. I have been told that there are individuals who would pay a large amount for some of the goods we treat as common. Fabrics and spices at the top of the list.”

“I had not considered the trade routes and the opportunities that lay with them. Well thought out Master.”

“As I said I think ahead on most everything,” Hunter replied with a bit of a snarky tone that did not go unnoticed by his Advisor. “But for the time being, I will let Twilight know that I will go with her. I had told her to wait while I discussed with you.”

“And how did she take that request?” Gnarl asked. “Was she angry? Angry mares need to be treated carefully.

“No, she was fine with it. She understood that I am the sole ruler of the Netherworld Empire and I need to have it thought out first before I act.” He assured the uncertain minion. “I will explain to her what has been decided.”

“Of course Master,” Gnarl said as the stallion got to his hooves and walked down the stairs, Dezhara on his heels.

Hunter paused as Wrath jumped to his back and he looked to Dezhara and decided to train her further while they walked.

“Dezhara. Jessor, Twilight.” He said to her and the wolf barked in response and put her nose to the ground.

He followed the wolf as she tracked ahead of him and he chuckled as she led him to the dining hall and then beyond it. He was cautious as he followed her up the stairs and he could see the group of them huddled together. Dezhara barked and he watched as the wolf took off at a run for the mares. He watched with a chuckle on his lips as Dezhara gripped Twilight’s tail in her teeth and began to pull. She yelped in shock and began to try to pull away from her sharp teeth but seemed to give up when she saw him on the other side of the room. She walked backward with a loud sigh and allowed the wolf to drag her to the stallion. When they reached him, the she-wolf released the long purple tail and sat down in front of him, her own tail wagging.

“Well done.” He said as he patted her chest in praise.

“You could have just sent Wrath,” Twilight complained as she flicked drool from her tail.

“I know. But I gave her the track command and she needs to make sure she can fulfill it to the end. So I apologize but I used you for her training.” He explained.

Twilight sat down and ran her tail through her hooves. “Will have to ask if Soft Touch if she has any ideas for wolf drool.”

“Gotten used to your handmaiden?” He said to her.

Twilight looked to him for a moment before she looked back to the group. “Maybe a little. But I don’t think that was why you came to see me.”

“Correct. I spoke with Gnarl about your request for the gala.”

“And?”

“And I will go with you.” He said to her and he watched as her eyes lit up and a wide smile went over her muzzle. “But I want to be honest with about why he agreed that I should go.”

“Of course. Gnarl has to have many reasons for anything. I learned that in the Empire. That minion asked more questions than I thought anypony could.” She said to him and stayed sitting as she spoke.

“Not only will it allow me to learn about your kingdom but I can try to see commerce and trade. Your ponies are governed by both your fellow Princesses and the Noble caste. I got rid of our Nobles but you still use them. You can see where that is going.”

She nodded and her smile remained. “Of course. I would have been shocked if you hadn’t been curious about them. Some of them are…entitled but for the most part they are nice and help their fellow ponies.”

He nodded as she spoke. “Exactly. Plus it will allow me to also try to track down any chance that somepony knows who the Governess reached out to for her Arena creatures.”

Twilight eyes went wide but she nodded. “I understand. I can ask around discreetly as well. Between the two of us, we can find a few clues.”

Hunter nodded in agreement and was glad to see that she had taken it well. “So what is the plan for the event?”

Twilight smiled and got to her hooves. “Well, the girls and I are going back the week before to help organize and plan out the last details.”

“Okay, so should I meet you at your castle or Canterlot?” He asked her.

“My castle might be better. Do you know where it is?”

He nodded to her and she tilted her head slightly at his admission. “I make sure to know the basic layout of important places. I keep a fairly close eye on events in other countries to make sure I’m not blindsided by anything.”

“Makes sense that you would. I would be surprised if you didn’t.” She laughed and went on. “How about you meet us the day before at my castle and that will allow you to get ready as well. The castle has plenty of rooms and I think I know the one that you might like. It’s bigger than most.”

He considered what she said and nodded. “That sounds like a solid plan.”

“Rarity is making all of our dresses do you need formal wear as well?”

"If she can dress up my armor then that is fine.” He held up a hoof to silence her when she opened her mouth and she closed it with a click of her teeth. “I will not go to a new place unprotected. You may have enough trust of your fellow equines not to hurt you but I lack that trust of them.”

She closed her eyes and nodded. “Right.” Her eyes opened and she looked thoughtful for a moment. “I can ask her. She can make anything look wonderful so I don’t think she will have any issue with your armor. Let me ask her.”

He watched as she teleported back to the others and returned with Rarity on her heels. “Which armor are you using?” She called out to him as she got back to him.

He looked to Wrath who sat on his back. “Wrath bring my formal armor.” He issued his command and the minion leaped from his back and galloped down the stairs and out of sight. “He’ll get it. It’s a formal set that is designed to look good. It can defend if needed but it’s not originally meant for it.” He admitted with an absent shrug.

Twilight nodded as Rarity pulled up close to them. “We need formal wear that can work with his armor, Rarity.”

“Oh? Do you have a date Twilight dear?” She teased.

The purple mare flushed scarlet and her wings went over her face as she groaned at the teasing. Hunter would have cut in but he was able to see the friendly teasing versus anything malicious. The purple Alicorn grumbled and finally emerged a minute later as the minions returned with his armor. Twilight conjured a mannequin for the armor and it was set in place by the minions who stood at the back waiting for his command. The armor was simple in design but was bright in its use of the metals. Gold and obsidian were laced along the edges of the pieces of the armor and they were connected by strips of brilliant silver. Wrath jumped to his back and Hunter still as the minion placed a gold and silver crown over his head and Hunter groaned under it as the minion slid to the ground.

“I hate this thing.” He growled.

“Why? It’s lovely.” Rarity said to him, her tone appalled at his complaint.

The crown was woven gold and silver with an amethyst gem set in the highest of it. It sat behind his horn and seemed to give off its own ethereal glow against his dark coloring. “It’s horrid.” He replied and his magic pulled it from his brow and it was set on the mannequin with the rest of the armor.

“How often have you worn it?” Rarity asked him as her magic covered the crown and she brought it to hover in front of her. “It needs to be shined up.”

“Maybe twice.” He replied quickly and then thought it over. “Or less. Last time I think was just after I had retaken the kingdom and Gnarl had a party thrown in celebration of the feat.”

Twilight chuckled and looked to the crown as well. “It’s not as bad as you think. The gem is perfect. It seems to be a favorite of yours.”

“What is?”

“The amethyst. It’s a gem you have in several other pieces of your armor. Like your helm.” She pointed out.

His mind went over his armor and he nodded as he thought it over. “I didn’t even notice, to be honest. I use it since it can hold more magic within it.”

Twilights eyes went wide as Rarity looked at him, her gaze uncertain. “How do you mean?” Rarity finally asked him.

“For example, I was out with the minions and I overtaxed my magic. I drew what I had stored from the gemstone in my helm and was able to use that to replenish my magic reserves.”

“You perfected magical essence storage?” Twilight finally spoke aloud, her voice quiet.

“You haven’t?” He asked her, his head at a slight tilt.

“Why not use the diamond? It’s the strongest gem.” Rarity asked as she looked at the mannequin.

“While it is strong it’s not able to hold the most magic within it. With the right spell, the amethyst can be made just as unbreakable as the diamond. It can hold more essence within it for later use.”

“Is that all gems from your land?” Twilight asked.

“No. Just the ones from the Netherworld directly. The gems I gave to the group of you are from here if you recall.” He replied to her inquisitive look. “That reminds me I need yours back Twilight. I forgot about the chain being on the lower end of the quality scale. I forgot to ask for it back before.”

Twilights eyes went wide and she nodded. “Of course.”

Her horn lit up and it appeared in her aura and he took it from her and it vanished in his magic. She watched it vanish and he could see that she didn’t like it being taken but gave in to what he wished. “I will try to have it repaired quickly for you.”

“Thank you.” She replied and shook her head slowly. “So how do you keep the essence in the gemstones?”

“Here’s a deal. You teach me how to teleport and I will give you a few gems to experiment on?” He countered.

Her eyes went wide and she nodded frantically. “I would have taught you anyway.” She replied.

“I know. But this way you won’t forget.” He jabbed at her and she cringed.

“Oh, he got you, darling.” Rarity chuckled behind a hoof at her friends look.

“You could have reminded me.” She replied to him.

“Perhaps. But I was not going to chase you down for a lesson.” He replied with a bit of sarcasm. “Not something an Overlord is going to be seen doing.”

“That’s a fair point.” Twilight replied and nodded in agreement.

“Do you need it to be full-length dear?” Rarity asked him as she pointed to the armor.

“Yes. It needs to go past my flanks and up to the front of my chest. So its dimensions cannot be altered.”

Rarity looked about ready to start pouting but held it in and a scroll and ink appeared in her magic as she began to sketch and draw out her ideas. “Are you attached to the colors?”

“No. Feel free to alter them as you see fit.” He replied.

“Hmm. Putting anything over it will make you look enormous.” She said aloud. “So this will just need more of my creativity. Can I take this dear?”

“Sure. Go ahead.”

“I’ll finish it before we leave.” She said to him and took it with her as her magic covered the mannequin.

“It’ll look great don’t worry,” Twilight assured him at his uncertain glance her direction. “Do you have extras just in case?”

“Oh yes.” He assured her and a smile crept over his muzzle.

“Do you usually wear a cloak over it?”

“Yes. One similar to the one you now have.” He said to her.

“That one is red with trim.”

“The one I still have is full fur. It has silver fur and black trim.” He said to her and she motioned for him to wait as she vanished. “You can go. Wrath, come back.” He said to the minions who still waited and Wrath returned to his back. She came back to him and he waited as she shook herself before speaking.

“Had to let her know just in case. Thank you for agreeing to go with me. I know you have a lot of things to do and your time is pretty strained.” She said to him and he nodded to her. “You won’t regret it I promise you.”

“I’m sure I won’t. Thank you for the invitation. What is the normal plan for these events?” He asked her.

“Don’t worry about a thing. I will take care of everything. You just have to enjoy yourself and that’s all you can worry about. I will take care of everything.” She said to him.

“Very well.” He said through a laugh. “I still don’t know how to dance.”

“Get Gnarl to teach you.” She joked at him with a laugh.

Horror crossed his face and she went still at his look. “Imagine this. Gnarl in a dress.”

Twilight blinked and horror crossed her face as she sat down and covered her eyes. “My eyes! It burns! I’m blind!” She cried out as she laughed.

He laughed out loud as she held out her hooves trying to find him and he reached out a hoof as she gripped it and he pulled her to her hooves. They laughed as her friends looked to them and Twilight rubbed her eyes as she held onto his foreleg and she released him once they finished laughing.

“Oh by Equestria that would be hilarious.” She panted for a moment and stepped back from him. “Don’t worry about a thing. Aside from teaching you how to dance I will take care of everything for you.”

“Very well.” He said as Dezhara whined at his side. “I will leave you to your friends. I have other matters to tend to.”

“Have a good day, Hunter.” She said to him as he turned to leave her.

“You as well.” He said to her and left her behind him.


Hunter went back to the throne room and sent Wrath to retrieve Gnarl. Minutes passed as he looked over several documents and waited for his Advisor to return. He looked up as Gnarl returned and the Advisor returned to his side.

“Twilight was quite understanding of the reasoning behind me saying yes to her. I gave Rarity one of my formal armor sets to try to make it look more acceptable to the ponies of Equestria. If she is not able to then I will wear it anyway. I refuse to go into a new place unprotected.”

“Understood, Master.”

“But we do have one problem.”

“Which is?”

“I don’t know how to dance,” Hunter informed him. “Last I checked that is needed in a formal setting.”

Hunter watched as Gnarls eyes went still and he seemed to be thinking over Hunters many skills. His eyes went wide and he looked to the Black Unicorn. “Master that is not acceptable. We cannot allow you to make a fool of yourself in front of those pony monarchs.”

“I agree. I would rather not make an ass of myself. So I suggest we find an instructor unless you can teach me.”

Gnarls face screwed up in a sour expression at the stallion's words. “No Sire. I will find a suitable teacher.”

“Good. Don’t send back the RSVP since I am acting as Twilights plus one. I want to see their faces when I walk in and am announced.” Hunter said with a chuckle.

Gnarl nodded, his gaze approving. “I approve of the subterfuge Master. It will be worth it in the end but will the Princess be so discreet?”

“Shit,” Hunter sat up in the throne. “I forgot to mention it.”

“Worry not Master. I will tend to it. I will speak with Princess Twilight and see to it that she does not spoil your fun.” Gnarl said and began to walk down the stairs away from the Unicorn.

“Gnarl?”

"Master?”

“Try not to upset my date.”

“Of course not Master. I will be polite to her.” Gnarl assured him with a dark chuckle and walked away from the stallion.

Author's Note:

I am back from work and just finished this. let me know if there are any egregious errors and I will try to correct them ASAP. Thank you as always and please Enjoy!

Edit: 7/18/2019

PreviousChapters Next