• Published 25th Apr 2018
  • 14,881 Views, 916 Comments

An Overlord Apart - OblivionShadow



An emissary is needed to visit the Northern borders of Equestria. Beyond them is the Netherworld Empire. An Overlord awaits.

  • ...
23
 916
 14,881

PreviousChapters Next
29: Meetings and New Places

Twilight sat down opposite Celestia and Luna and she bit back nervousness as they sat across from her. She knew what they were going to ask her and she had been dreading it. She had sworn to Hunter that his secrets would remain known only to her and him. Her wings clenched against her sides as she waited for them to speak. Celestia smiled kindly to her and opened her mouth to speak.

“Twilight you don’t need to be so nervous. We are simply wondering about your trip. We had not gotten many details in your letters aside from a few events and we were wondering about the rest of it.” She assured the young Alicorn.

Twilight gave a weak smile and nodded. “I’m not sure what else I can tell you. He won’t rescind his claim no matter how much time my friends and I have with him. It’s not his style.” She replied.

Luna grimaced and looked at her closely. “You are certain of that? Perhaps now that he is here we can persuade him to release the claim.”

Twilight shook her head. “I don’t think anything will get him to back down. That’s not how he is. Nothing will stop him from having what is rightfully his.” She replied to the Moon Princess.

Celestia sighed and leaned her chin down onto her hooves. “We have looked over the new borders and he would be retaking a large section of land. Several villages would be under his rule and they have expressed the desire to remain under our rule. Does he know that they would be leaving as soon as the borders were reinstated?”

Twilight closed her eyes as her fellow Princess spoke. “They don’t even know him. He’s not cruel or even mean to his ponies. He protects them. I watched him walk into battle and protect them, bleed for them, and rebuild cities to serve them.” She opened her eyes and her voice grew in strength as she went on. “He holds the title of Overlord but he is not evil. Hunter keeps his ponies safe and fed. If their crops fail he sends out food to feed them. If their homes are destroyed he sends out his army to rebuild it for them.”

Luna looked surprised as Twilight spoke. She glanced at her elder sister and Celestia nodded. “I know that he did that while you were there but how do we know…”

“He did more than that while I was there. He answered all my questions and was kind to all of us, even Spike grew to care about him. Spike mentioned that he wanted a few gems to eat and Hunter went out of his way to find them and bring him not just a few gems but two saddlebags full. He gave my friends and me his time so long as we were respectful of his time and treated him with respect. He’s not the type to be cruel.”

Celestia went silent as the younger Alicorn interrupted her and spoke vehemently in defense of the Overlord of the North. “He did not treat Luna so kindly.”

“I asked him about that and he said that you were not as respectful of him and tried to order him to accommodate your wishes. I learned from the start that he does not react well to being commanded. He is the Overlord and not one to bend to others. If you give him a chance then you will see how he really is.”

Luna looked ashamed as Celestia looked at her. “I may not have been very easy to deal with,” Luna admitted and Celestia hung her head for a moment before she addressed them both.

“I understand that he is more complex than was first thought. But that does not change the fact that he is not us. Our ponies have never been treated in such a way that you have told us about it. He calls on their absolute loyalty and there is not even the option to look to others.” Celestia replied.

“He is the only one there is,” Twilight replied. “He stands above them and keeps everything running smoothly. Without him the bandits and other problems would reach the ponies and they would suffer.”

“Twilight I am not arguing that he does not protect them. I am saying that they do not wish to be under him. You cannot tell me that they have to remain under him and never look at what they once had.” She interrupted the purple Alicorn who shrunk in her seat.

“I am just saying that they should give him a chance.” Twilight replied quietly. “I went in there and did not know anything about him. The first time I met him I was afraid of him. He holds himself the way an Overlord is meant to and it shows in his interactions with them. But at the same time he is gentle and kind to them. When the ponies rebelled in the Empire he could have sent in his army and routed it that way. Instead he walked in with the minions that he had with him and the two dragons. He did not call on the four adult dragons to burn the city to the ground. He knew that if he did then innocent ponies would pay the price.”

“You did not mention that in your letter.” Luna said to her.

“It was getting long and I did not think I needed to write down everything. He walked with them and the ponies joined him as he moved among them. They followed him into battle and they loved him for it. When it was over they cheered for him and welcomed him among them in a way I have only seen here. He reminded them that he is their ruler but most of all they were reminded of what he would do to protect them. I don’t know how big his army is or even what it is capable of but I know that he is more than able to overrun the entire city and the surrounding territory. But he chose not to and waded back into it personally.” She defended.

Luna looked thoughtful as she looked over at her elder sister. Celestia said nothing as the younger Alicorn defended the Overlord of the North. The Alicorn’s were silent as all three considered what to do next. The Sun Princess smiled kindly as she looked at her former student.

“What have you learned from him? No doubt you watched and learned while you were there. How does his throne compare to yours?”

Twilight startled at the question and the sudden shift in topic. She was quiet as she considered the question and a smile tugged at her mouth. “They are the same.”

“The same?” Luna questioned.

“I pointed this out to him as well when he came to my castle. Our kingdoms are the same in regards to how we watch over and protect our ponies. They love him same as ours. They look to him for guidance, same as ours. The biggest difference is how we handle combat. He wades into battle on the front line. I have waged my share of fights and so have you both. But the difference is that he does it no matter the circumstance. He fights to show them that he will always stand for them. But in terms of the ponies then we are the same.” She said as a wide smile went over her muzzle.

“So we are the same ruler?” Celestia pressed.

“We are different in how politics are handled but we are the same when we want the best for our subjects.”

“Politics?” Luna asked.

“He abolished the noble caste years ago.” She began and she paused at the look from both of the sisters.

“There are no nobles?” Celestia questioned.

“No. They were committing acts that he did not approve of and so he removed their titles and made them just another pony in the crowd.”

“How did they react?” Luna asked her as she leaned forward in her seat.

“About how you would think. They disagreed but he remained firm and they were brought to heel about the change.” Twilight replied.

“What did they do?” Luna asked bluntly.

“Slavery,” Twilight replied, her tone short.

Both of her fellow Alicorn’s eyes went wide as she spoke that one word. “You must be kidding.” Celestia breathed out.

“No. I saw it in the Empire when they tried to rebel against him. They had cast a group of ponies into a mine to work for them. These ponies were ones that did not agree with them and they chose to punish them by putting them underground. Hunter was thrown in with them and later escaped with some help.” She explained. “Hunter abolished the noble caste and all that came with it but he chose to allow them to keep the homes that they had. I think it was an act of kindness that they took advantage of later.”

“I see. So they had enslaved their fellow ponies and rebelled against him to get what?” Luna asked.

“They wanted to kill him and have the Empire within their control again. That would mean they would have all the power and money that came with it. If he was gone then they could have all the power that would allow them to create slavery all over again and go back to the way they wanted things.” She clarified.

Luna breathed out a deep sigh and leaned back on her chair. “I must admit that is quite the reason to get rid of them.”

“I agree,” Celestia said to her.

“He did not go in there expecting to fight them. He went there to investigate a building and the fact that the city was acting out of normal. He did not know about the mine and the slavery that was being brought back. It was just how it worked out.” She explained further.

Twilight said nothing further as the others thought over what she had said and waited for them to reply to her. She had known that she was going to spend a fair amount of time defending him to the others and she was ready for it. But that did not change the fact that she did not argue with them. She had been shocked to find out what had been going on there and how he had reacted to it. But at the same time, she had supported him and she knew that it was how things were done in his Empire.

“Where is he now?” Celestia asked her.

“I brought him with me.” She admitted and her fellow monarch’s eyes widened. “I was not sure how long this would take and he is my guest and I didn’t want to leave him with nothing to do. Plus you might want to ask him questions as well.”

Celestia chuckled and nodded at her. “That’s true. It is rude to leave a guest alone with nothing to do. Please bring him in.”

“Are you sure? He’s going to tell you that he is not relinquishing the land.” She questioned.

“I know. But perhaps we can convince him to take the land before the villages and split the difference with us. That way the ponies remain with us but the land between them and the border would be his.” She reasoned.

Twilight tried not to look skeptical as she got up and went to the far door. She pushed it open and looked out to see Hunter leaning against a wall close by. She beckoned him to her and he walked leisurely to her and lowered his head to her.

“They want to negotiate.” She whispered.

“You’re kidding?” He replied.

“Nope.”

“By the Netherworld.” He quietly replied and nodded. “Very well. Let’s see where this goes.”

She pushed open the door and he walked calmly into the room. Twilight motioned for him to sit and he flicked his tail to the side and sat down across from them. His eyes blazed bright as he regarded them and Twilight could feel nervousness bubble within her as she sat across from him with the other Alicorn’s.

“I have been told you wish to negotiate.” He said to them and they looked at Twilight who cringed. “I had asked her to tell me why so she was informing me, nothing more.”

She stared as he covered for her in the same breath. She looked at the others and they nodded at him.

“She told you correctly. We are wondering if it is possible or not?” Celestia asked him.

She watched as he said nothing at first and then leaned forward against the table. “We can discuss it but I promise you nothing more than that.” He said to them.

“Thank you for that.” Celestia said to him and then glanced to Twilight and Luna before regarding him once more. “Basically what we are wondering is if we can split the difference of the land in question.”

Hunter looked at her and his eyes narrowed for a moment before he leaned back slightly. “How do you mean?”

“What I propose is that we take the land with the villages and you can have the land after them. It splits it and allows the ponies to remain where they call home.” Luna said to him.

He set a hoof against his chin for several seconds before he shook his head. “I do not think so. Those borders were made and it was not me that altered them.” He countered.

“That is true. But the ponies in question are expressing the desire to remain under our rule.” Celestia said to him. “I only ask that you consider it.”

“I have considered it. I believe you had been informed by your Emissary that I had no intention of relinquishing my claim. I do not plan to change my stance now or ever.” He flatly replied.

Twilight held back a cringe as Celestia and Luna both shook their heads. “We ask for you to reconsider your stance, Overlord.” Celestia finally said to him.

“You can ask all you like. I am not rescinding my claim and nor am I allowing it to be split. Those villages are mine according to the territory lines and I will not bow to your request.” He replied as he leaned back in his chair.

Twilight could tell that he had come in knowing that they would ask and he was ready for it. She managed not to cringe as he spoke and she sat back in her seat. She pursed her lips and then gave a quiet sigh and she looked at the other Alicorn’s. She leaned forward after several seconds of silence and looked once more at him. She could see that he was relaxed and assured in his stance and she knew that would not change. She knew him well enough to know that he was not going to change. She gave another small sigh and a smile tugged at her mouth.

“I do not think we have anything further to discuss.” Hunter deadpanned and stood up from his chair. “I will wait outside for you Twilight. We still have an appointment to keep.” He said to her and made for the door as she nodded.

Celestia sighed as the door closed behind him and she looked at the younger mare. “Appointment?”

“We are going to the Crystal Empire for a visit.” She admitted. “He and my brother seemed to get along so they invited us over.”

“So he is getting to know the geography as he wished.” Luna said to her.

“Yeah. It’s his vacation so I let him decide what he wanted to do.” Twilight replied.

“Vacation?” Celestia asked her.

“Yeah. His advisor told him to take some time off and relax a bit.” She explained with an easy smile.

“Good to know this is how he spends his vacation time.” Luna said, sarcasm in her tone.

Twilight chuckled and gave a little nod as she got up from her chair. “Is there anything else?”

“No Twilight. Enjoy your date.” Celestia teased.

Twilight felt her face flush scarlet and she turned to the door and tried not to run for it. She pushed open the door and jumped through it and then pushed it closed as she could hear a faint laugh behind her. Hunter looked at her as the blush faded from her face. He tilted his head slightly at her and she shook her head and walked past him.

“Come on.” She said to him and he fell in beside her after several seconds.


Hunter walked down the set of stairs at the Alicorn’s side. Sorkeno waited at the base of the stairs. He looked down and he could see several ponies gaping at the golden dragon as he sat in silence, waiting. Twilight chuckled as she saw the gawkers.

“Looks like he has gained a few admirers.” She said to him.

“So it seems.” He agreed.

Sorkeno lowered his head and Spike slid down the side of the dragon’s nose and to the ground. They had managed to convince the Lord Dragon to carry the baby dragon. It had taken Hunter over an hour of convincing but it had worked. He went still as Wrath came around the dragon’s paws and leaped for the Overlords armor and held on tightly. Spike approached them and Hunter could see the joy on the baby dragon’s face.

“This is going to be so much fun.” Spike bubbled out as Twilight smiled at him.

The Overlord said nothing as he jumped to land on one of Sorkeno’s paws and then to his broadhead. Twilight flew up and landed beside him. The Overlord set his hooves in place and she walked to the edge of the dragon’s snout and turned to look at him.

“Are you sure you know where to go?” She asked the dragon. “I can go over the directions again if you need me to.”

Sorkeno gave a great sigh and looked at the Alicorn. “I assure you, Little Princess, I know where we are going.” He assured her and began to raise his head.

Twilight yelped and ran up his nose to rejoin Hunter and stay close to him. Spike clung to her back as she moved into place beside him. Wrath held tightly to the armor and Hunter set his hooves in place and then waited for Twilight to inform him that she was ready.

“Okay, Spike. You need to hold tight and if you think you’re going to fall let me know so I can use my magic. Got it? It’s a longer trip than the short one here.” She said to the baby dragon who gripped her mane and fur tighter as she spoke.

“I got it.” Spike assured her as he smiled wide.

She chuckled and then nodded to Hunter. “Ready.”

He nodded and then patted the golden scales under his hooves. Sorkeno got to his paws and raised his head as Spike looked almost frantically down to see how high up they were. Twilight looked over her shoulder at him and he hunkered down against her neck to stay in place. Hunter was ready to grip him in his magic if the baby dragon began to tire and release his grip. Sorkeno took several steps forward and then took to the air with a thrust of his great wings. Hunter gripped the thick scales and he heard Spike shout as he held onto the Alicorn mare. A glance to the baby dragon told him that the shout had been from excitement, not fear. They had chosen to go to the Crystal after Shining Armor and Cadance had invited him. He had accepted their invitation and he had made sure they knew they were coming to avoid shocking them and being met with an army.

Sorkeno’s wings beat and they were soon far over Canterlot and flying for the clouds. Hunter closed his eyes for several seconds as the dragon breached the cloud barrier and he opened his eyes as the dragon's body leveled out and he began to glide. Hunter glanced at Twilight to see her smiling brightly with Spike looking even more excited on her back. He had been told that the flight would take at least two hours so he was ready for the time frame.

“So how long will we be flying?” Spike asked as the stallion sat down in place.

“A little over two hours. Give or take a few minutes.” He informed him.

“Wow. So how fast are we flying?” He asked.

Hunter shrugged after several seconds of thought. “Fast enough.” He replied.

Twilight chuckled at his reply. “All that matters is that we get there.”

“Well yeah but I mean it would be cool to know how fast he is,” Spike commented and leaned out from her back and looked at the cloud barrier beneath them.

“He can fly faster than your typical Pegasus and for longer. A Pegasus can only fly so fast for so long. Sorkeno can go for much longer depending on the need.” Hunter informed him.

Spike looked down at the golden scaled dragon and nodded. “That’s true. I don’t think a Pegasus could fly from the Upper Citadel to my castle and get you there in twelve hours.”

Hunter nodded in agreement and watched as Twilight walked the baby dragon back out to the end of Sorkeno’s snout and he chuckled at the look on the young drakes face. He waited for them to come back and rejoin him. After a minute Twilight made her way slowly back to his side and sat down. Spike let go of her mane and fur and sat down between them.

“So what does the Crystal Empire have to offer for somepony who has never been?” He asked as they settled in to wait.

Twilight smiled as she looked back at him. “It’s got new food you can try and the architecture alone is worth looking into. Who knows maybe you’ll see something you like and make something similar in the Netherworld.”

He chuckled and gave a quiet nod. “I am sorry for being so blunt with your fellow rulers.”

“It’s okay. I knew what was going to happen so I was not shocked. I did warn them that you would not agree but they wanted to try.” She replied.

“Understandable.”

He fell silent as she looked out from her place and then back to him. “Do you think you can sway the ponies to be okay with your rule?”

“Do you think I can?”

She looked surprised for several seconds before she nodded. “I think so.” She said to him. “Once they get past the Overlord title it’s easy to come to like you. I was afraid of you at first but when I got to know you I realized that you were not scary at all. You just have to get to that point.”

“Hmm.” He said back to her. “What more did they ask about my kingdom?”

“They didn’t ask so much about it as they wanted to know why you would be good for the ponies. They did ask what I had learned while I was there.”

“And?”

“I have to admit when I met with them again I was looking around the throne room for anything out of the ordinary. I’d say I learned that from you.” She laughed.

He chuckled and nodded. “That does sound like something you would have picked up from me.”

She went quiet as she sat next to him. “I guess I learned to look more closely at things.”

“You mean that nothing is as it seems?”

“Yes. You walk into any situation and you have it figured out within a couple of minutes or less. I had never seen a pony react as quickly as you did. I now know that you have had to act quickly all your life but it was different from me. I have never had to react like that. But in the Empire I did.”

“You have fought your fair share of battles here though. How did they compare?” He asked her.

“They were different. For example I always had my friends at my side. With Tirek I fought him alone at first and after he took my Alicorn magic my friends and I fought him together. But that was different. Usually I have time to figure things out and find the best solution.”

“I see. So what was different about the Empire?”

“I had to act faster than I thought I could. I had my friends and Red with me but that was not the only difference. You walk in alone if needed and I have never really had to do that. You have your army and your dragons but you don’t use them first. I asked Sorkeno once why you were making things more difficult for yourself and he told me that you wish to be seen as the one that walks into the fight. At first I thought you were out of your mind. But now I see the point behind it.”

Hunter was quiet as he looked ahead of them. “You have fought against more of a variety than I have.” He said to her and she looked over at him. “You fought against Discord and came out the victor. You fought the Changelings and won that fight.”

“Not really. Cadance and my brother won that fight. I helped a little but it was their win.” She admitted with a laugh.

“Still. Without you and yours would they have been able to win?” Twilight went quiet at his question and she looked thoughtful. She was still quiet as he chuckled. “The answer is no.”

She looked at him and shook her head. “They would have found a way.”

“Maybe. But not in a timely manner. You hastened their victory.” He countered. “Your help came in the end when you were needed the most. In the Empire, you acted as was needed and led them and my dragon into battle. I was told about it by Red and he said that he would follow you again if you needed him.”

“He is such a sweet dragon.” She said back to him. “I was afraid I had gotten him hurt and I knew you would be furious with me for it.”

“I would not have blamed you. You were doing as you saw fit and you asked him to accomplish something and he did as he was asked. I had asked him to protect the group of you and he was making sure you went back to me in the same shape you had left in. You acted as was needed.”

“Still. I have never been in a battle like that. Tirek was a hard fight but I had the magic of all the other Alicorn’s with me and I still only matched him blow for blow.”

“So that was how you fought him. I got my hooves on a first hoof account but they were not sure how you fought him to a draw.”

“Yup. They gifted their magic to me since the odds of him knowing about me were slim. But then Discord went to his side and he told him about me anyway. It worked out in the end but it was a fight that did a lot of damage.”

“Wars are rarely clean. Nopony can come out of them smelling like roses. War is many things but clean is not one of them.” He said to her and looked at her. “But you manage to come out of them on the right side. So long as you win then you will live to see the day that you have saved for others. That is the real victory.”

Twilight nodded. “You have won more wars than me though.”

“Maybe. But you have saved many by winning yours.”

“So have you. Ponies lived to see the next day free because of you. Your ponies know that they can turn to you and you will keep them more than safe. But you and I have one big thing in common.”

“And that is?”

“We will never give up.” She replied with a wide smile.

He smiled and nodded. “That is true.”

They fell into silence and Hunter looked ahead of them. He could see the clouds thinning and he felt Sorkeno shift his flight to fly lower. He placed a hoof on Spikes back to ensure that the baby dragon did not slip on the smooth scales. As they came through the thin clouds Twilight began to point.

“There it is.” She said to him. “There is the Crystal Empire.”

“Hopefully they remember that we are coming or your brother will be needing that contingent of soldiers.”

“What?” Spike asked him.

“When I mentioned to him that I was able to fly Sorkeno into Canterlot he told me that if I tried that in the Crystal Empire I would be met with a contingent of Crystal Soldiers.”

“Oh geez.” Twilight sighed. “He knows we are coming. I sent a letter to them about coming over so they know. Don’t worry about it. But…What if they are there?”

“Then I laugh and thank him for the audience.” Twilight rolled her eyes and pushed his shoulder with one wing. “Besides it will take more than a contingent to stop Sorkeno. So I have even less to worry about.”

She shook her head and laughed as he spoke. “So are you ready to see their Empire?”

“I think so. It should be interesting. That reminds me. What did Cadance want to talk to you about at the Gala?” He asked her.

She looked at him for a moment before a red flush went over her face. He was surprised by the reaction but if he had to be honest now he wanted to know even more than before. He waited as she began to sputter and Spike stared at her with him.

“It was nothing. I swear it was nothing.”

“Really?” He said back to her. “Yeah, I’m convinced.” He replied to her, sarcasm dripped from his voice.

“It was nothing. She just had a few question and they had to do with you and I was just answering them and…never mind.” She babbled for several seconds before she fell silent.

“Cadance is the Princess of Love so it was probably something about that,” Spike said to him.

Twilight squeaked as he spoke and hid behind one wing. Hunter looked from her to the drake and then back to her. “Really?”

“That’s what she is. Princess of the Sun, Princess of the Moon, Princess of Friendship, and Princess of Love.” Spike detailed.

“Wow,” Hunter said and he looked at the furiously blushing mare once more. “So what is Shining the Prince of? The military?”

“No, it’s just the Alicorn’s.” Spike supplied.

“I see. Princess of Love huh?”

“Please drop it.” Twilight pleaded from behind her wing.

“Fine.” He agreed and looked back to the approaching Empire and he heard Twilight breathe a sigh of relief. “For now.”

Her head spun to look at him as he spoke. “Oh no.” She whispered and looked down at Spike.

“Get ready to land. Might want to put him on your back just in case.” He said to her, a smile on his mouth.

“Right.” She said and Spike scrambled to the mares back.

Hunter stood up and set his rear hooves back in the notches in the golden scales. He glanced over to Twilight, who still looked miserable as he made sure they were ready. His body moved as Sorkeno banked and made ready to land. They angled for the fields within the Empire and Hunter could see a group of ponies waiting for them. He said nothing as the dragon's wings beat, sending dirt and grass up around them. The dragon came to a stop and he looked down as Sorkeno angled his head to allow Hunter the chance to look down. He could see the pink Alicorn and her husband waiting for them and he waited as Sorkeno began to lower his head for them to jump down. He jumped down once the dragon was still and he looked up to help Twilight down and he held out a hoof to her. She took his hoof and her wings helped her get to the ground softly. Shining looked at him and walked forward several steps.

“Welcome to the Crystal Empire, Overlord Hunter Flame.”

Author's Note:

Here we go after a long delay. Let me know if the flow seems off and I will do what I can to fix it. It seems okay to me but I am open to the help. Thank you for the help with getting it moving again. It took me a bit and I am sorry for that. Nevermore777 was the one that came up with the idea for part of it so special thanks to them!

PreviousChapters Next