• Published 25th Apr 2018
  • 14,868 Views, 916 Comments

An Overlord Apart - OblivionShadow



An emissary is needed to visit the Northern borders of Equestria. Beyond them is the Netherworld Empire. An Overlord awaits.

  • ...
23
 916
 14,868

PreviousChapters Next
4: Trials...

Twilight groaned as Soft Touch pushed her back into the warm water of her bath. Her personal bath had been repaired two weeks earlier and she was now using it instead of the public one with her friends. She had rung the bell for Soft Touch to come back and had smiled when she came back in, only to watch a horrified look cross the mares face. The handmaiden had seen that the Princesses mane had come loose from its binding, the last few inches of it getting soaked in the oils of her bath. Soft Touch was now adding different oils together to save the parts of Twilight's mane that had been doused.

“Soft Touch. Do I really need to worry about it getting a little bit of the oils from here on it?” The Princess of Friendship complained.

The handmaiden looked at the ceiling and sighed. “Yes, My Lady. The oils are meant to clean your coat and remove any impurities. Getting it on your mane for an extended period of time means that I will need to trim your mane and remove the section that was doused. Due to the oils in the bath water being pretty harsh and can ruin your mane and tail.”

Twilight gaped at the mare. “Ruin?” She looked back at her mane and cringed, now concerned.

“Yes. Now, hold still.” Soft Touch said to her and leaned over the edge of the bath.

Twilight was still as the mare ran her hooves over her mane and pulled it out of the water. She was scrutinizing the ends when she clicked her tongue and reached back for the oils that she had been mixing. Her hoof held the long mane in her grip as she poured the oils onto it. Soft Touch was quiet as she began to knead the oils into the hair in her hoof. Twilight was still as she tried to look over her shoulder without disturbing Soft Touch.

“Stay still.” She said again and Twilight stilled.

She sighed and sat back as she reached for another bottle and then squeezed the shampoo into her hoof. Twilight was still as her mane was cleaned. She waited till the mare backed up and held out her hoof. Twilight held her hoof as she was slowly pulled out of the bath. She sat down when told as the handmaiden once more began to shampoo her mane, for a second time. When finished she doused it with warm water and applied oils to it once more. Twilight waited as the mare braided her mane down her neck and felt it land against her shoulder. She glanced down to it and smiled at the tight braid. She had grown to like the style the last few times she had seen it and asked for it to be done again for her. Soft Touch backed up and gave a relieved sigh.

“Thankfully, I think it will be okay.”

“So I don’t need a haircut?” Twilight asked, her face nervous.

“No. I think it will be okay.” Soft Touch replied with a gentle smile. “It doesn’t seem to have been in the water for too long. Next time I will make sure it’s tight and won’t get in the water. My apologies, My Lady.”

“It’s okay. I probably hit it and loosened the bun you made.” Twilight admitted.

Soft Touch smiled and sat down to tend to Twilight's hooves. The Alicorn had given up trying to avoid having her hooves tended every time she had a bath. If she had allowed it she was sure that Soft Touch would tend to them in the morning when she woke up and again before she went to bed. But, thankfully she had managed to make sure that it was only after a bath. She was bathing early in the day, normally she bathed before bed. But she was attending the trial of the stallion that had been captured before and needed to make sure that she was presentable.

Soft Touch pulled her to her hooves after filing them and led her into her room. The mare slid her breast collar on and then set her crown in place behind her horn. Her hoof boots were next and the mare ran a cloth over the gold to ensure that the metal was unmarred.

“There. Now you are ready.” She said and backed up to admire her handiwork. She frowned and looked to her charge. “Shall I braid your tail as well?”

Twilight paused and looked back at her tail. “What do you think?”

“Yes.” Soft Touch bid her stay standing as she brushed through the unruly strands of Twilight’s tail and began to braid it. She braided it halfway then used a cord to end the braid and leave the rest of her tail free. “There. Now you are ready for court.”

Twilight smiled and walked through the door as Soft Touch opened it. The handmaiden stayed at her hip as they headed for the throne room. Her guards surrounded them and stayed in step with their charge. She had agreed to meet her friends and Gnarl there to be led to the court chambers. Twilight was pleased with herself for finally getting a basic understanding of the layout of the Netherworld. As she made her way to the Throne room she felt a smile pulling at her mouth.

She had sent a let to the Princess a few days earlier and had received the reply earlier. The princess was pleased with her for what she had found out and had come to understand more of the way things worked in the Netherworld Empire. Though Twilight had kept much of Hunter's personal business out of her letters, out of respect for the stallion. Twilight turned the corner and trotted into the room to join her friends and Spike.

“Hey, everypony.” She greeted them and joined them as they stood in the center of the room.

“Twilight, dear.” Rarity greeted her.

“Morning, Twi. How are ya this morning?” Applejack greeted her with a wide smile.

“I’m good. Did everypony sleep okay last night?”

The other mares nodded and Spike smiled up to her. “So what's the plan, Twilight?”

“Well, we have been given permission to sit in on the trial of the pony that had instigated the rebellion in Nordberg.” She explained.

“Why did he wait so long?” Rainbow asked. “He’s had this guy cooling his heels for a couple of weeks.”

“He had to make sure that he had all the facts. Hunter spoke with the ponies of Nordberg to try to narrow down the timing and get all the facts. I guess he is also accused of the rebellion in Everlight as well.”

“Wow. This guy got around.” Rainbow said.

“Yeah. That rebellion was a few years ago so the evidence had to be dug out of storage and examined again.” Twilight informed them.

“Well, I’m glad it can be sorted out.” Fluttershy chimed in as they waited for Gnarl.

The others nodded in agreement as they waited. Twilight looked up and saw Gnarl come down the hallway entrance to the room. His eyes connected with hers and he bowed to the side, sweeping his arm. She nodded to him and led her friends up to the Minion Master, leaving Soft Touch behind them.

“Now. There are a few requests that we must ask of you during the trial.” Gnarl said to them as he led them. “Please do not interrupt the proceedings. The Master has been going over the evidence and testimony for several days so he is well aware of the history of the stallion’s crimes.”

“I wondered where he had vanished to,” Twilight said to him.

“Yes, he has been even more busy than normal,” Gnarl informed them. “Also. You are guests in the proceedings and do not have a say in any punishments that are handed down.”

“So long as it is kept fair.” Applejack chimed in.

Twilight shook her head at her friend. “Not this time, AJ. Hunter is the judge and jury in this case. So his word is the ruling.”

Applejack nodded, grudgingly. Gnarl nodded in agreement with the Alicorn’s statement. “She is correct, Miss Applejack. The Master will be handing out his judgment after the arguments are made.”

“Is he already there?” Fluttershy asked. Gnarl looked questioningly back to her. “I mean, the accused?”

“No. He will be brought in once the area has been made ready. Please stay close.” Gnarl said to them and turned down a hallway with the mares and dragon on his heels.

They entered into a tall room to find Hunter in the center of it. The stallion was still as the room moved around him. Twilight and the others stopped with Gnarl as they waited for the room to be finished. Spike gaped as the walls shifted and moved to answer the command of the Overlord. When it was finished the room was now a few feet wider on each side and the ceiling had lowered a few feet. The walls were the same living metal and lava that covered the Netherworld itself.


Hunter sighed and spun to look back to the end of the room. A different throne sat at the end of the room. It was raised several feet higher than the main throne. The stallion advanced on the throne and watched as it began to warp under his command. The living metal warped as he imagined its image. The metal creaked and slid over the side of the dais as it rose a few feet up. A set of small stairs sat at the bottom for him to walk up to easily. A pair of dragon’s wings stretched out of the metal and raised up above the throne. The rest of the throne remained simple as the wings dominated the sight of it. He sighed and looked away from it and back to the area around it, satisfied, he spun back to the entrance to find the mares, Spike and Gnarl waiting for him to finish.

“It’s done, Gnarl. They can come in.” He yelled at them.

He watched as the mares filtered into the room, their eyes roaming over the walls as they moved to join him. Pinkie Pie jumped around the others and began to hop around the room. He gave a casual eye roll at her antics and looked to the others. He tipped his horn to the right side, pointing to the set of plush cushions for them to sit on.

“You five are there. Twilight, you and Spike sit up here.” He said to them, as he pointed his hoof. Twilight looked to where he was pointing to find a cushion that was closer to the main throne. “We have to accommodate your status appropriately. Otherwise, it will appear odd and will seem like I am out to insult you.” He explained at the look from the purple mare.

“Oh. I get it.” Twilight replied.

The mares all got into their places as Hunter gave a shrill whistle and waited as minions came out of the edges to him, carrying various pieces of armor. He was still as his usual onyx armor, he watched as it was pulled off and his ceremonial armor put in place. He angled his body away from the mares to avoid questions about the heavy scars on his body and his lack of a cutie mark. A new red cloak with black velvet trim was laid over his back and clipped into place.

Once the armor was in place he began to pace slowly from one side to the other as a chest was brought to him. His aura surrounded it and the chest opened at his pull. He removed five amulets, holding them in his magic as he set them over the heads of the assembled mares. They all looked from the necklaces to him, as he released his magic.

“These will prevent the prisoner’s words from affecting you. He has shown to be able to sway the minds of ponies to lean in his favor. These have an enchantment on them to prevent you from being swayed by his words.” He said to them.

Each necklace bore a central diamond, set into silver. They each gave off their own slight glow as they stilled on the necks of the mares. They were set on a thin silver chain. Each gem was about half the size of the average bit. His magic pulled out another amulet and slipped it over Twilight's head. She looked down to the gem and found a large amethyst stone set on a brilliant silver chain. The stone was the size of a bit and shone back at her. The necklace sat high on her neck like a low choker. She smiled and looked back to him as he closed the chest and set it aside.

“Go ahead and take that back. They're safe.” Hunter spoke to the assembled minions and watched as the chest was removed and sent back.

“Thank you, darling. This is lovely.” Rarity said to him. “I have seen many diamonds but, this one is different than the ones in Equestria.”

Hunter nodded. “The gems and ore that come directly from the land within the Netherworld are of a higher grade and have been given a greater luster and power. Each one is able to empower an enchantment of higher strength due to the magic that courses through the Dark Tower itself.” He explained to them.

“Wow. Thanks fer thinkin’ of us.” Applejack said to him, admiring the diamond around her neck.

“It would be counterproductive to have the lot of you fall under his guidance. Whether it is possible or not is not something I wish to learn.” He replied.

“What do you mean?” Rainbow asked.

“I am not sure if you are able to be swayed by his words or not. Your connection to the Elements of Harmony might protect you. But it is possible that they will not help you. As I said, that is an experiment I have no desired to test.”


Gnarl walked up to them and began to slowly usher the mares into their places. Twilight sat down and watched as Hunter walked up to his throne and spun to sit down. She recognized the helm that he was wearing, it the same one that he had worn to Nordberg. It had the same bright amethyst stone embedded in it as before. The armor was solid and bore a strong resemblance to the one he had worn into battle. She looked to Spike who had sat down on the cushion beside her and had a scroll and quill in his claws. She smiled at him and looked up as a thought occurred to her.

“Are you safe from his words?” She asked as Hunter leaned heavily into the back of the throne.

“I’m fine. At first, I was caught off guard in Nordberg and felt it at the edge of my thoughts. But after recognizing it I am immune to it.” The stallion informed her as he sat quietly.

“What about the minions?” Spike asked.

“They are immune as well. The same reason that I do not worry about you being influenced is the same as them.” Hunter supplied.

“They’re not ponies.” Twilight piped up.

“Exactly.”

Gnarl walked into the center of the room and waited for Hunter to turn to him. Twilight watched as the stallion nodded to the Minion Master and she realized that it was about to begin.


Hunter was silent as the sound of chains caught his ears. Top Quote had been secured and locked up in the dungeon of the Netherworld and that was where he had been left. Hunter watched as the offending pony was led into the room. A heavy chain went from the shackle around his neck to the hobbles around his forelegs. The minions that had been assigned to his guard stood around him at the four corners. The stallion was quiet as he was stopped in the center of the room. Wrath walked up to him and attached the chain to a raised section of the floor. Preventing the pony from leaving. The pale stallion tried to look self-assured but was clearly failing. Hunter was quiet as Top Quote suddenly looked to the mares at the side of the path, a smile crossing his mouth.

“I was unaware I would be in the presence of such a lovely audience.” He said aloud.

Rarity and the other mares grimaced and looked from him to Hunter. The pale pony looked at them and then back to the Overlord.

“You will find them to be very hard to impress. Added to that is the fact that your voice will have no effect on them.” Hunter said to him.

The Overlords' voice cut through the air as he spoke. Top Quote was silent as he looked to the floor. Gnarl came to stand a few feet away, at the bottom of the stairs to the throne.

“You, Top Quote, are accused of instigating not just one rebellion, but two in two separate territories. While both were thwarted by the Master you are accused of starting them and then trying to flee.” The minion voiced as he looked at the papers in his claws. “The first was done several years ago in Everlight. The second was done most recently in Nordberg. While there is ample evidence of your crimes, you are still permitted to plead your case.”

The pale stallion smiled as he began to speak. “I am sure that you were told by a great many ponies that I was responsible for the small upheaval in Everlight. I really did not have as much to do with that as I’m sure they all thought I did. The Governess was the leader of that little…Excursion.” He crooned to them. “I really only spoke to her on a few occasions and I wasn’t even there when it happened.”

“Be that as it may.” Gnarl cut in. “You are still accused of playing a part in the creation of it. Therefore, that is the charge before you. As far as Nordberg goes. It has been discovered that you had been in the city for several weeks. You slowly gained the following of the ponies that began the rebellion that the Master quashed a couple of weeks ago.”

“Okay, so I had a bit of a larger role in that one. But, in reality, I simply pointed out a few things and they ran with it.” He replied.

“So my hearing of your plans to destroy the stolen ship was not an actual threat?” Hunter asked.

Top Quote looked to the stallion as he spoke. “Well. As far as the ship went, I was simply trying to show the ponies on board that they had options when it came to the ships fate.”

“I see,” Hunter said as he leaned forward, the fires from the braziers dancing and casting light over his armor. “So the argument with you and the mare on the deck was really not you telling her that it would be better served to burn it and let it sink to the bottom of the sea was actually just a jest?”

The stallion’s ears went back as the Overlord spoke. The pale stallion squared his shoulders before he spoke again. “I was simply prompting them to think further. If you recall I did also mention that we would vote on the fate of the ship once they were free.”

“Free of what?” Hunter pressed.

He paused at the interruption. “Well, free to always have their own choices to make. Currently, they are under your rule. Which means that they are subject to your rules and laws. I simply asked if they were happy with that situation and asked them what they would think of like an ideal situation.”

“And helped them to start thinking of reasons to flee my rule?”

“Yes. They all said that they wished to have their lands as their own and never have to answer for anything they choose to do.”

Hunter chuckled and leaned back in the throne as the pony talked. The sound brought the ponies words to a halt and he stared at the Dark Lord. Hunter sighed and watched from the throne for a moment before he spoke. “I see that you seem to think they were unhappy before you got there. Correct?”

“Well. I’m sure they thought they were happy. I mean if you look at our southern neighbors then things are very different.” Top Quote pointed out. “In Equestria, they are able to do as they choose with the lands and do not truly answer to any pony unless something egregious happens. So when asked about the vast differences then, yes they noticed the change. Currently, you are engaged in a land dispute with the monarchs of Equestria and that can cause turmoil in the hearts of your ponies.”

Hunter was quiet and sighed once more before he spoke. “While it is true that I am disputing the land. It is not even close to Everlight or Nordberg. I asked several ponies and many had no idea any land was being contested. Those that were with you on the ship said that they only learned of it when you mentioned it to them.” The pony looked unsure as the Overlord continued. “Oh. You seem a bit surprised that I would reach out to the ponies under my rule for further information. I have no problem mingling with my subjects and getting the needed information from them.”

“While your, mingling is something that I did not account for, I believe that the ponies might also be telling you what you want to hear.”

Hunter fought back a laugh at the implication. “My ponies are permitted to speak out if their points are valid. I do not discount their words if they are valid. They come to me often with ideas and questions. You are misinformed about the level of fear my ponies have of me.”

“Perhaps, but they still fear.”

“Perhaps. But their fear of the unknown is greater.” Hunter pointed out.

“Unknown?”

“Yes. If I was not there then who would stop raiders, protect the trade routes, and ensure that they are fed?”

The other was quiet before he spoke up once more. “Well, they can be self-sufficient. Surely you do not think that they can do nothing without you.”

Hunter laughed and looked to the pony, his red eyes pulsing for a moment as he regarded the pony. His laughter faded as he regarded the pony. “Very well. Then how do you argue about what happened in Everlight? Many said that you were there, whispering in the ear of the Governess and her aids before the rebellion. Can you explain away that as well?”

The stallion smiled as he stood up straighter. “Well, I had no idea they would attempt to harm you. That was completely ill-advised. I mentioned to them about their possible independence, but that was all I said to them. Their attempted murder of you was not something I ever mentioned.” He replied.

Out of the corner of his eye, Hunter saw Twilight and the others look to him at the mention of the attempted murder. While he had no desire to bring it up he knew that to allow this arrogant pony enough line to strangle himself with he would have to toe the line between keeping that story quiet and allowing pieces to escape. “I would think you would not have mentioned that part to them. But what did you mention to her? The Governess was not the type to resort to violence.”

“While that may have been true at times, she was a very angry pony as well.” He replied. “I’m sure none mentioned that she was seen striking her advisors?”

Hunter nearly laughed but was able to hold it back as he listened. He knew that the Governess had a temper. He had seen it first hoof. But the idea of her doing the damage was laughable. She was a large pony and the ability to trot was beyond her abilities. “I asked many of her advisors and none reported any physical abuse.”

“Of course not. They don’t bad-mouth the dead.” Top Quote threw back.

He saw Twilight stiffen at the statement and her eyes glanced to him before refocusing. Hunter breathed in and waited for a moment. “I see. Perhaps you wish to enlighten us then? Is that what drove you to leave and let her take the fall?”

The stallion was quiet as Hunters words sunk in. “I left since I had no desire to be a victim of her abuse as well.”

“Oh?”

“Yes. She was threatening to have me and others were thrown into the arena.”

“Ahh, the arena,” Hunter replied. “I remember that it was not there when I had visited Everlight. But it was the next time I graced them with my presence.”

“Yes. It was made after you left. She seemed to think that it would be great entertainment for the ponies. We advised her of the folly of it, but she was quite interested in the idea.”

“And who mentioned the idea?”

“Well, myself and…” The stallion paused. His eyes went wide as he realized what he had said.

Hunter smiled under his helm and stood up. His hooves thudded against the stone as he walked slowly down the stairs. He could see Twilight and the others staring at the stallion. “So you were the instigator of that hell hole.”

“Well. What I meant was that it was mentioned once and then…”

“Enough.” Hunter’s voice resounded through the chamber.

He stopped at the bottom of the stairs and watched as Gnarl and the minions had backed up, allowing him room to move if he chose to. “So it was brought to her attention by yourself and others that an Arena could be of great entertainment to her and those she thought worthy of the spectacle? Throwing those she disliked into the Arena to fight for their lives.”

The stallion tried to back up but was held in place by the hobbles at his ankles. “I never mentioned throwing you into it.”

“Of course not,” Hunter said aloud, his voice light as he spoke. The stallion began to walk around the pony. His hooves thudding against the metal and stone of the Netherworld. He began to circle the pony like a wolf to his prey. “You would never advise her to do such a thing. You ensured that she would commit a grievous offense. In the process perhaps you would be able to claim some knowledge of the act should it be successful. If not, then you made certain that you were not in the area. Though I am curious about where she got the beasts for the Arena?”

“She got them from somepony else. I had no knowledge of where she got them.”

“Really? I’m surprised. You’re a very well informed and well-connected pony, so the fact that you did not know anything about the beasts is a bit…hard to believe. You must know that if you had any knowledge of the beasts then that would, of course, make you a party to attempted murder. Those that did die in the Arena would also have left their blood on your hooves.”

Top Quote was clearly unnerved by the amount of information that Hunter did have at his disposal. “I did not know.”

“Very well. Say I choose to believe it and I let you live as a reward. And yes, your life is a reward at this point.” The Overlord replied, eyes blazing as he circled the pale stallion. “Then I find out that you did, in fact, have the knowledge of the creatures. Then I have to retry you in court once more. And I can assure you.” Hunter stopped, his magic gripped the chain at the pony’s neck and pulled him forward, Hunters own muzzle barely an inch away from him. “Your life would then be mine to take.” Hunter snarled as he spoke. “But. I am not one who enjoys killing others.” He released the chain and leaned back, allowing the pony to scramble as far back as possible as he spoke further. “If I was informed of where the creatures came from then I might be so inclined to allow you to keep your life.”

Hunter went back to circling the pony as he thought it over. The Overlord was silent as he allowed his words to sink in. He could see Twilight and the others staring at him, their eyes wide. The black stallion was aware that he was acting in a way that was foreign to them. While he understood their surprise, he was not going to change his ways. The pale stallion gulped and looked to the Overlord as he circled him.

“I know that they came from Equestria. But the name of the pony is not known to me.”

“Really?” Hunter stopped as he looked to the pony, his gaze disbelieving.

“I assure you. It was through another pony. I acted as a go-between at first but then she reached out to some pony else. She didn’t use the supplier I mentioned to her.”

“So you have decided that being truthful is better than trying to talk circles around me?” Hunter chided him.

The stallion grit his teeth and nodded. He went on after a few moments. “Clearly I underestimated you then…and now.” He replied.

“Hmm. So it seems.”

“I don’t know where the beast came from. I don’t even know what she asked him for. I did leave before you arrived though.”

“I believe that. None of those I spoke with then said that they saw you after I arrived. They admitted that you were gone by then.” Hunter assured the pony.

The stallion gulped once more and panted as he spoke once more. “So? What is my fate?”

Hunter was quiet as he paused his circling and looked to Gnarl, who waddled over to him. The stallion leaned his head down and waited as Gnarl began to whisper into his ear. After a minute, Hunter raised his head and regarded the chained pony.

“You will be given your sentence now. You have the ability to continue to be useful to me. You will give me the information about all your contacts. Their locations, what their purpose is, and how I can contact them. Should you decide to hold back then I will not hesitate to remove your foolish head from your shoulders.” Hunter replied to him. “So for now, you have the chance to keep your life. Should you displease me then your life is once more forfeit. You are sentenced to life in prison.”

Top Quote nodded as he looked to the floor under his hooves, his shoulders sagged. “Yes, Sire.”

“Good. Take him away and see to it that the information I want is extracted.” Hunter said aloud. “This court is adjourned and my judgment rendered.”

Top Quote was unchained from the floor and led back the way he had come. He was led back to the Netherworld's dungeons, where he would remain. Hunter sighed and let his shoulders sag for a moment before rolling them in their sockets and looking to Gnarl as he motioned for the decorative armor he wore to be removed and replaced.

“Gnarl. Make sure he is kept from trying to kill himself or anything else ill-advised. In the meantime, make sure that he gives us the asked for information. Anything that could be of use to us at a later date.” Hunter’s armor was swapped out and he waited as the room was slowly being cleared. He watched as Spike walked up to him and waited for the minions to clear off and leave him alone.

The baby dragon was quiet for a moment before he looked up to the stallion. “So he’s going to jail for the rest of his life?”

“Yes. That is the sentence that I gave.” Spike was quiet as he seemed to be thinking it over. “Does that upset you?”

“No. Not really. It’s just that I have never been in a court before. I haven’t even heard of Princess Celestia sending any pony to jail.” Spike admitted with a shrug.

“I’m sure she does. She probably does it out of public view. Same as I do.” Hunter replied to him. “I do not have public trials unless there are exigent circumstances.”

“Like what?”

Hunter cursed himself for a moment before he replied. “For example, had I needed to chase that pony down in Nordberg then I might have sentenced him then.”

“Oh. That makes sense.”

Hunter nodded to the dragon. He slowly moved past the dragon and began to leave the room when he stopped in his tracks. Sorkeno reached out to him and a gleeful grin spread over the Overlords muzzle. He leaped forward, his hooves drumming over the stone path as he careened around a corner, heading for the stone platforms. He didn’t see Twilight and the others as they stared after him, uncertain. He leaped for the stone platform and commanded it to move under him. It sped through the air and docked at the Dragons Lair.

He leaped off of it and galloped ahead, pausing only to veer his path. He yelped as he leaned back to stop, but slid over the smooth stone floor. He ran into the side of a red dragon, who looked down to him, her expression laughing.

“Sorry about that, Maranna.” He said to her and patted her scales as he backed up.

“It’s all right, Little Lord.” She said as she brought her head down to his level. The she-dragon reached out and nuzzled him as he bowed his head to her.

“Still. I should have been more careful.” He admitted to her.

He skirted around her and trotted past several more dragons to see the silver-scaled she-dragon stirring. He broke into a lope, his hooves drumming as he neared her.

“Kaiana!” He yelled to her as he pulled up by the cave that she normally slept in. She was out among the other dragons and was upright beside Sorkeno.

The Matriarch started, then looked down to him as he drew up next to her, now walking slowly by her. She smiled and lowered her body to the floor, surrounding him. He walked to her nose and nuzzled her.

“Hello, sweet child.” She crooned to him. Her voice was ancient, but the orbs still held all the love and care she had to give, despite her years. Her eyes held him as he continued to nuzzle her. She glanced back to Sorkeno and chuckled. “You are a messenger now, Lord Dragon?”

Sorkeno pulled his head back and grunted at her. “Of course not. He would simply not leave me alone.”

“Liar.” She accused mirth in her voice.

“He did tell me, though,” Hunter admitted with a laugh.

“I know he did.” She chucked and nuzzled the stallion. “He is bound to you and you to him. Your joy is his and his yours. A bond that has no equal.” She said to him.

Hunter sat down and stroked her scales, gently. “How are you feeling?”

“I am doing as well as expected, child. Time is never-ending and all of us have our time. I am still of this world and so you will still have me close.” She replied to him. “But there will be a time when that is not the truth.”

Hunter said nothing as he looked to the floor, his hoof stilled on her scales. He stayed quiet as Sorkeno laid down on the other side of her and looked down to him. “I know.” He whispered.

She nuzzled him, using one of her paws to pull him close to her. He leaned heavily on her and gripped her scales in his hooves. “It will not be a time of sadness, my sweet child. I will always remain here. But we have much time yet. So do not feel sadness for the time that we have left. I wish for you to continue to show me the great stallion that you have become. Your mother would be proud to see you now.” She said to him as she kept him close to her.

“I never got to know her though,” Hunter said aloud. “You’re the only mother I have ever known.”

Kaiana sighed and held him as tightly as she dared. “And I will still be here. She knew you would grow up strong and one day that you would rule and have the respect and love of your subjects. She spoke much of her dreams for you. You have never once disappointed her or me, my dear child.”

Hunter smiled and nuzzled her once more. He stayed at her side as the hours ticked by. He looked back as Wrath carefully weaved through the dragons and held up a note for him. His magic reached out and took it from the minion, allowing him to run back the way he had come. He unfurled the note and groaned.

“Little one?” Sorkeno spoke up.

“I don’t even know why they send these to me anymore,” Hunter complained. “I have never gone to one. I have never even been to Equestria!”

“What is it?” Kaiana asked of him.

He groaned again and looked to the two dragons. “It’s an invite for something called…Hang on.” Hunter stared at it, his nose crinkling as he read it. “The Grand Galloping Gala. Really? That is an awful name.” Beside him, the two dragons laughed.

Sorkeno looked over his shoulder, reading through the invite. “You have been invited before?”

“Yeah. Every year. Now that I think of it, it is that time of year.” Hunter admitted as he began to crumple the letter.

“Wait,” Kaiana said to him. He paused as she raised her head to look at him. “You have guests that are of Equestria?”

“Yes. The Princess of Friendship and her friends. And her baby dragon.” Hunter informed the aging dragon.

“You should go.” She said to him.

Hunter stared at her. “Why in the Great Dark would I go?”

“You have never been to Equestria. It is a new experience.”

“I have no desire to go. And I don’t have the extra time.” He replied.

“You could go with the Princess,” Sorkeno said to him.

“Haha,” Hunter replied, his voice snide. “The hatching is coming up and I refuse to miss it.”

“That is not till later this month,” Sorkeno replied, even as Hunter looked to him, his gaze murderous. “If I read that right, this Gala is not for a couple of months yet. You have plenty of time.”

“No,” Hunter said. “I have no need to attend such a thing. What is the purpose? I can’t even leave the Netherworld for a week without things going off the rails.”

“It would be something new for you to see. You have lived all your life in your Empire and have not seen anything outside of it.” Kaiana reasoned to him. “Gnarl is capable of tending to things for a week…or two.”

“Week or two?” Hunter said to her, as the she-dragon gave him a sly wink. “Really? Both of you? By the Netherworld. No.”

“Little one.” Sorkeno cajoled.

“No.”

“Sweet child.” Kaiana chimed in.

“No.”

Hunter crossed his forelegs and looked away from both of them, the picture of a stubborn colt. He glanced back and they were both staring at him. He spun back away from them and tried not to laugh. Kaiana reached her snout out to him and nudged him. “No.” He shot back and scooted away from her snout. Sorkeno reached out a claw and prodded the stubborn stallion. “No.” He said again and refused to look at them.

“At least think about it?” Kaiana said to him.

Hunter clenched his jaw and sighed. “Fine. I will…Consider it.”

“Good enough,” Kaiana said aloud, as they all began to laugh.

Hunter was quiet as he turned back and walked back to the dragon’s snout. He climbed up her snout and settled down on the bridge of her nose and laid down in place. She crooned to him as he settled into place, placing the letter in his armor. He pretended to grumble at her for a moment before he ran his hoof over her scales. Her eyes looked up to him as she lifted her head. Her wings flicked against her silver scales.

“Child?” She spoke aloud.

Hunter allowed himself to slide down her nose and stop at the end of her snout. He turned his body and looked to her. “Yes?”

“I feel the desire to fly.”

Hunter sat in silence as he thought back for a moment. “I don’t mean this to sound like I’m arguing with you but. You haven’t flown in a long time.” He replied to her, his voice uncertain.

“That is true. But I wish to.” She said to him.

Hunter nodded to her after a moment’s hesitation, he held up one hoof. “I have one request then.” He said to her and waited till she nodded to him. “Sorkeno comes with.”

“Why?”

“I want him there in case your wings tire.” The she-dragon narrowed her eyes at him. “I know. Do it for my peace of mind?”

She closed her eyes and gave a slight nod of agreement. “Very well.”

She lifted her head higher and Hunter walked along with her snout to the back of her head and set his hooves on her scales and held on. She advanced ion the edge of the Dragons Lair and allowed herself to slide off of it. Her wings surged open, catching the air under them as she glided for several beats, before beating her wings. Hunter looked back as Sorkeno flew down to fly below the Matriarch. The Overlord allowed himself to relax now that he knew if she fell there would be another dragon there to catch her. He looked around her head and saw a serene smile across her face, her eyes sparkling. Hunter crouched down and held onto her scales, enjoying the smooth flight. She twisted through the air and Hunter ensured that the areas she flew in were unobstructed, allowing her to enjoy the easy flight as well.

“How are you, Child?” She called back to him.

“I’m fine. Are you enjoying your first flight in a few years?” He called back to her.

She tipped her head back to him and nodded. He smiled back to her as she turned, beginning to circle the Dark Tower. Below them, Sorkeno kept up with the she-dragons easy pace. Hunter looked to the Tower and saw the mares and Spike staring at the silver-scaled dragon. He looked back ahead of them to ensure the safety of the route the dragon flew. He caught sight of several hanging rocks and his will reached out to the Netherworld, commanding the movement of the stones and walls. He heard a soft laugh from the she-dragon.

“You are too worried, my Child.” She chided him. “I was flying before any of this was here.”

“I know. But still. I want you to have a nice flight as well.” He called to her.

“I am fine.” She said to him.

Hunter nodded and hunkered down further on her scales. As they rounded the front of the Tower she barrel-rolled and Hunter smiled as he held onto her. He heard her laugh and he felt his smile grow on his muzzle. The Silver dragon angled back toward the Lair and Hunter returned the Netherworld to its normal dimensions as they neared the Lair. As she slowed and dug her claws into the stone he held tighter to her. The silver dragon climbed the stones, grunting as she crested the top and pulled her body up over the ledge and onto the stone. She sighed and walked toward her usual cave. Hunter waited till she laid down before he moved as well. He released his hold on her scales and began to move up her neck. Kaiana suddenly lurched to the side as her right foreleg gave out. Hunter cried out as he slid off her scales and found himself sliding off her scales, into the blank air.

“Sorkeno!” He yelled as he saw the ground rushing up to meet him. His eyes clenched shut before he could feel the impact of the ground. His body thudded as it landed.

“Little one?” Sorkeno’s voice washed over him.

Hunter opened his eyes once he didn’t feel pain or hear bones snapping and found himself lying in the golden dragon's paw. He sat up and looked to the dragons who had clamored over the stones at his shout. Kaiana looked to him, horror reflected in her eyes. He breathed out a shaky breath and was quiet.

“Child?” Kaiana pushed her snout into the golden dragon's paw and pushed against the stallion.

“I’m okay.” He said to her and hugged her snout as best he was able.

“I am so sorry.” She murmured to him.

“It’s okay. Accidents happen.” He said to her, trying to comfort the upset dragon.

The she-dragon still looked more upset than Hunter had ever seen and he nuzzled her as he still hugged her. Trying to lighten the mood he looked up to the golden dragon. “Nice catch.”

Sorkeno growled a laugh and Kaiana sighed against his fur. “That will not happen again.” She vowed.

“I agree. I’ll hold on till your laying down next time. No problem.” Hunter said to her, trying to comfort her. She nuzzled him and he climbed onto her snout and held on to show her. “See?” His voice held laughter as he looked to her.

She laid down and set her head on the stones, keeping him close to the ground. Sorkeno laid down in front of her and gave her a gentle nuzzle, comforting her. Hunter was surprised to find the she-dragons claws looping around his barrel and picking him up off his normal spot. She set him on the ground as she curled her body, protectively around him. Hunter was quiet and sat down in place, waiting for her to still. Once she was still he cuddled up to her face.

“I’m okay.” He said to her.

“I know.” She whispered to him.

Hunter went quiet as he waited for her to calm. He could feel how upset she was and he waited for her to relax once more. The Overlord stayed close to her and tried to comfort her. He looked up to find Maranna and other dragons gazing over the sides of the silver she-dragon, regarding him. Once they seemed satisfied that he was in one piece they climbed back to their own places and calmed as well. He sighed and snuggled tighter against Kaiana’s scales. She nuzzled into him and set her paw on the ground beside him. She reached out and held him as tightly as she dared, keeping him close to her. His armor pushed against his body as she gripped him. Hunter shifted and wriggled in her grip for a moment before settling and nuzzling her. He stayed silent as she held him close. Hunter was aware that she was upset and he waited for her to calm down, no matter how long it took.

“Kaiana?”

She tilted her head to him and blinked. “Yes?”

He wriggled once more to face her as he spoke. “You still have my love, no matter what.” He said to her.

Hunter saw her close her eyes and a sniffle went through her. “I love you as well. Till the end of days.” She said to him and held him tight.

Author's Note:

I finished this one this evening and now it is ready to roll. It took a bit longer to get it ready than normal. I actually messed up and thought that I was close to finishing a new chapter for Oblivion. Only to realize that I had the outline for it ready, not the chapter. So I admit I spent a couple of hours kicking myself. But here we go. better than nothing!

Edit: 12/25/2018
Edit: 5/19/2019
Edit: 7/21/2019

PreviousChapters Next