• Published 25th Apr 2018
  • 14,882 Views, 916 Comments

An Overlord Apart - OblivionShadow



An emissary is needed to visit the Northern borders of Equestria. Beyond them is the Netherworld Empire. An Overlord awaits.

  • ...
23
 916
 14,882

PreviousChapters Next
36: Vacations End

Hunter stood outside Twilight’s crystal castle and his eyes went over the surface of it. He had declined a going away party despite Pinkie’s insistence. He was not partial to parties but he did allow them to send him off. He looked over his shoulder at the sound of hooves and found Twilight coming around the side of the castle to join him by the Gate. She gave a small sniffle as Sorkeno laid his head down behind her and Hunter.

“You sure Gnarl wouldn’t mind another week?” She asked him, her voice quiet.

Hunter chuckled and nudged her with his shoulder. “While he would allow it, I’m certain that by now he is wishing I was there to tend to things once more. If I told him that is what I was doing he would not argue.”

“See? It would be fine. There are other places you haven’t seen yet. I could show you Appleoosa and the land that the buffalo used to stampede and…”

“I’m sure there is plenty I could still see and that would still only be a fraction of it but I need to go home.” He replied.

She nodded as he spoke. “I know. I’ll just miss you is all.” She admitted.

Hunter smiled as she looked sadly back at him. “I’ll miss you as well.” He replied and she smiled in reply. “I do have an idea though.”

“Oh?”

“How about I leave a minion with you and you can use him the same way you would Spike?” He said to her and she tilted her head as he went on. “We can write back and forth and if needed, I can still come to visit through the Gate, unless you want it removed?”

“No! It can stay.” She quickly replied.

“Perfect. If you need me just send a letter and I can come over if needed. Otherwise, you can send me a letter through the minion I will leave with you. He will need to leave occasionally due to his needing to feed at the Netherworld.”

“He could go back at night?” She asked. “Would that work?”

“That would be fine. During the day he will stay in the castle and if you wish he will deliver letters or whatever else you think I should see. He will return with what I send you in return.” He replied.

“That’s genius.” She replied, her demeanor greatly improved. “Okay, maybe this will be okay after all.”

Hunter chuckled and he tipped his head down as his horn tapped hers. She sighed and he pulled his head back up as Sorkeno sighed as a warning that the others were coming. Twilight looked back at the Gate and her smile did not falter as she looked at it.

“So yer leavin’ us?” Applejack called out as the other mares came around Sorkeno’s’ head.

“I have a kingdom to run.” He replied. “Unfortunately vacations do not last forever.”

“That’s true,” Fluttershy said to him. “Will we see you again?”

“In time perhaps.” He replied to the shy mare.

“When will we see you again?” Pinkie asked as she bounced gently on her hooves.

“I’m not sure. Time will tell.” He glanced at Twilight who said nothing about the minion that he would be leaving behind.

“Are you going back by dragon flight or are you using the Gate?” Rainbow asked him as she looked at the lounging dragon.

“I’m not sure yet.” He admitted. “While I enjoy flying I’m not sure if I wish to sit that long when I can be home and back to work in a few minutes.”

Sorkeno said nothing in response as he moved the trunk he held in his claws to his other paw. “Go back ahead of me Little One. You need to get back to your routine.” Sorkeno said to him.

Hunter nodded and walked up to the Gate and its magic crackled back at him. Twilight and the girls all watched as Wrath leaned over his shoulders and the minion chittered at them and bowed from his place on the stallions back. Twilight giggled and bowed her head to the minion in turn. Hunter’s gauntlet roared out as a minion emerged from the minion gate and approached the stallion. Hunters mind formed the instructions he needed and the minion trotted back to the mare and sat down at her side.

“He is at your disposal.” He said to the mare and she nodded as she patted the minion’s knobby head. “Use him as you see fit.”

“Till next time pardner.” Applejack called out to him.

“Be safe darling.” Rarity called.

“Next time let’s have a big party!” Pinkie gushed and bounced in place.

Fluttershy smiled widely at him and Rainbow smiled as he moved into the azure lightning and his command of the gate was flawless as he called out to the Gates magic.

“Until next time.” He said to them and he saw them all smile and he could see Twilight trying to keep her smile bright as he vanished back to the Netherworld.

He opened his eyes and the throne room stretched out around him. A loud yelp caught his attention and Dezhara came into his field of vision and he ruffled the female wolf's fur. Gnarl came down from the throne and approached the stallion, his gait slow and deliberate.

“Welcome home Master.”

“Thank you Gnarl. I trust everything went as planned?”

“Yes, Lord. Everything ran smoothly and your subjects had no idea you had left, as you wished."

“Good,” Hunter replied as Gnarl help up a series of papers for the Overlord to look over.

His magic gripped the papers and they hovered around him as he began to scan them for importance.


“Fly safely Sorkeno,” Twilight said to the dragon as she turned to look at him as her friends began to go back into town.

The dragon said nothing until the others were out of earshot and he laid his head back down to look at her. “Do not be sad little Princess. He is not gone forever.”

“I’m fine.” She quickly said to him, a blush going over her features.

“It is fine to be upset. I do have a question for you if I may?”

“Of course.”

“Have you informed your fellow monarchs of his decision to rescind his claim?”

Her eyes went wide as he spoke. “I…” She felt her heart speed up as the dragon waited for her to respond to his request. She sat down and the minion at her side mimicked her and sat down heavily.

“You have not?”

“No.” She admitted, her voice sad and her eyes went to the ground at her hooves. “I know I should and I will but…”

“You fear to lose him?”

She looked up at the dragon as he hit the nail on the head. She felt her face flush and she looked at the ground and then gave a slight nod. She heard the dragon shift in place and his breath went over her as she look up and he had set his head down in front of her.

“You will not lose him that simply,” Sorkeno assured her. “Your fellow Princesses must be told of his choice and he entrusted it to you.”

“I know. It’s just that I will lose that ability to go to him and visit without that and I…”

Sorkeno began to laugh as she spoke and she fell silent as he laughed. She felt anger spike through her at his laughter as she had been confiding in the golden dragon and he had the nerve to laugh at her. He laid his head back down and his large eyes stayed on her, his expression calm and gentle.

“You may see him whenever you choose. All you have to do is ask it of him. He left a minion here with you to allow you to contact him personally. You are more connected to him than you think you are.”

She stared at the dragon as he eased her mind and her heart began to calm in her chest. She looked at the minion at her side and a smile began to tug at her mouth. She looked back at the dragon and he watched her as she came to understand what he meant.

“You mean that he will really come if I ask him to?”

“So long as he is able I think you know the answer to that.” Sorkeno teased. “You are a dear pony to him and he will not allow you to feel lost or alone. You stood by him when you were needed most and you have not used him for your own gains. Instead of using his words against him, you chose to work with him.”

“What do you mean?”

“When he asked you your opinion of the border dispute and then told you that if you wished him to he would give it up, you could have told him to let go of all of it. Instead, you compromised with him and split it with him. You did not allow him to truly lose the fight and be left with nothing for his efforts.”

She was quiet as he spoke and she nodded as she began to understand what the dragon meant. “I…I knew that he would give it up if I asked him to but I didn’t want it to seem as though I used that to get what everypony wanted. I wanted to help him as well.”

“You did,” Sorkeno whispered to her. “You showed him that you were willing to stand before him as a Princess of Equestria and that you would work the middle ground to benefit both sides. You made the right choice. Even though I do not think that is what you were thinking at the time.”

She nodded as she got to her hooves and smiled for the dragon. “Your right. I was just thinking of a way that everypony won and that was what came to mind. I wasn’t sure he would agree to it though.”

“He asked you to make the choice for him and you did. You did better than I think he expected and you showed him more than your brilliant mind.” She tilted her head as he spoke and he chuckled. “You showed him your heart.”

She startled and her eyes were wide as Sorkeno watched her. She felt her heart beat harder at his words and she fought to calm it back down. “What?” She squeaked out and the dragon chuckled once more.

“I mean that you showed him your intentions and did not choose to harm him. Your care for him runs as deep as his for you and it is stronger than you realize.”

She fought not to squeak in reply and instead kept her muzzle firmly closed as she nodded at him. Sorkeno said nothing further as she tried not to blush an even deeper crimson than before. “I think you’re overthinking it.” She whispered out.

“Am I?” Sorkeno sounded unconvinced as he replied.

“Yes. He…I…We…There isn’t anything there, from his side, I mean.”

“What makes you think that, Little Princess?”

“He’s an Overlord and I’m just me.”

Sorkeno barked out a loud laugh and Twilight startled at the sound. “That is all you need to be to stand with him. You do not need to be a Princess to understand him and stand by his side. Is that not why you needed to speak to your fellow mare about the other day?”

She stared at the dragon as her eyes went wider. “How did you…?”

“I have been around for many years Little Princess.” He said to her and she watched as he shifted and set Hunter's trunk off to the side. “I can tell the difference between simple friendship and the hope for more.”

“You can tell?”

“Of course. Kaiana is of the same opinion as I am about the two of you.”

“And that opinion is?”

“That you are well suited to the other. His strength comes from himself and his power, yours comes from those around you. You have shown him what that strength looks like and he has allowed you to get close enough to show him more than that. Together you are formidable and I would fear what you could do together if crossed.”

Twilight was silent as the dragon spoke to her and explained his opinion. “I might wish for more but, does he?”

Sorkeno tilted his head and a smile played over his mouth as she watched him. “Do you wish to find out?”

She nodded and the dragon leaned his head forward and pushed his snout against her head and chest. Emotions washed over her and she gasped as warmth spread over her and she looked up at the dragon as he pulled back from her. Her eyes blinked as she tried to process what had happened and she stared up at the dragon. His eyes were on her as she breathed carefully.

“I am connected to him and you are close to his heart. Through him I can sense that he will always come when you call and should you need his might he will stand at your back. Only one pony may call out to him and ask for his army, that pony would be you, Little Princess.” Sorkeno said to her as he got to his paws and gripped the trunk in his claws.

“So he does?”

“You are close to his heart. While time is still needed to see it grow you are the only one who could call out and receive an answer.”

Twilight felt her face flush as the dragon stood above her and a smile washed over her face as she gave a slight giggle and her hoof went to her mouth as she smiled. She watched as the dragon's wings spread and the great golden wings beat and her hooves gripped the ground and she closed her eyes as dirt and grass flew up from the dragons take off. She looked up as the golden dragon took to the air and her eyes followed him as he climbed for the clouds and vanished within them.

“Maybe…” She whispered and she looked at the minion who stood close by her and she bit back a giggle as she walked for the front of the castle, the minion on her heels.


Her horn lit as her saddlebags opened, revealing her new Netherworld forged Regalia. She breathed out a little breath and her magic pulled it from within the bags and she set her saddlebags aside. Her magic set her breast collar in place as it gripped around her chest. She had noticed that it did not go around her neck fully and it gripped her fur and remained in place. She had meant to ask him about it but she had forgotten and he had left before she had recalled the question. She stepped into her four hoof boots and they gripped her hooves and stayed still in place. She smiled at the sight of the familiar light blue glow and her smile widened as she recalled how it had been made special for her.

Her purple eyes looked up as her magic sent her saddlebags into her magical pocket storage for later use. She shook herself before her magic gripped the doors to the council chamber and she pushed them open and joined the other Princesses of Equestria inside. She kept her smile on her muzzle as she walked into the room. Her eyes fell on them and they both looked at her and she nearly giggled at the looks of shock and surprise at her replaced Regalia. Luna got up from her chair and looked over the chairs at the Regalia that glowed lightly back at them. Celestia raised her head a bit to see it and her eyes went from it to Luna and then back to the youngest Princess.

“Hello, Twilight.” The Sun princess said to her in greeting.

“Morning.” She greeted in return.

“That is new,” Luna said as she sat back down and waited for Twilight to sit with them.

“It was a gift.” She replied.

“From?” Celestia pressed gently.

“Hunter and his dragons.” She replied.

Both mares’ eyes widened and they stared from her face to the regalia and then back to her. She stayed still in her chair as they processed what she had said. They knew that she was close to them but they clearly didn’t realize just how close. She tried to keep her mind from going down the path of suspicions but she had been around Hunter for too long and she was not able to stop thinking of anything they might say to her about getting more from him. She kept her head up and allowed the regalia to shine back at them. Celestia smiled at her and Twilight watched as she leaned back in her seat.

“That’s quite the gift, Twilight.” She replied.

“I was pretty shocked when he mentioned it but I am grateful they thought enough of me to gift me something like this.”

“Did he mention why you had received it?” Luna asked her.

“He said it was a gift for my hosting him while he was in Equestria.”

“And his dragon's reason?” She pressed.

“They were impressed that I stood with them without any fear of them and they were impressed that I stood with him against the Empire.” She explained.

“So you must have made quite the impression on them,” Luna said as she smiled.

“They made more of an impression on me than I think I did on them.” Twilight chuckled as she responded.

“Do you think those dragons would come to you if you asked?” Celestia asked her.

Twilights smile fell from her mouth as she stared at her former mentor. Her eyes were wide as she shook her head. Her mind went to what could be asked of her and she felt her hackles start to rise. Her time with Hunter had made her more suspicious and more likely to think further than just of the good in others. Celestia breathed in as Twilight shook her head again and she leaned back in her chair.

“How was it made to glow like that?” Luna asked distracting her from her thoughts.

“It’s a crystal that is used during the forging.” She easily answered, even as her voice was quiet.

Hunter had mentioned that the process was to be kept to herself and she had agreed. Now her mind was swimming with possibilities of what she could be asked to do next in regards to his kingdom. She tried to silence her thoughts and they refused to be quieted as she fought to keep herself from speaking out in anger unless she had a reason.

“Did he seem to enjoy his vacation?” Celestia asked her, her voice smooth and sagely.

“Seems to have. He seemed to enjoy the locations we visited and I do have something to tell you about that.” She admitted.

“Oh?” Luna said and her gaze stayed on the young Alicorn.

“He has agreed to split the land with us. He will take the farmlands and we can have the ponies and they will remain among our subjects.” She reported.

Luna pitched forward and her eyes were wide and shock rolled off of her. Celestia simply froze in place, her eyes wide. Both Alicorn’s were silent, leaving the room deathly quiet as they processed what had happened. Celestia opened her mouth to speak but it clicked shut after a second delay. Luna simply stared and Twilight fought not to fidget under their intense gazes.

“Pardon me?” Celestia finality spoke out, her voice quiet.

“He agreed to split the land with us.” She clarified.

“I see.” The Sun Princess responded and a sigh pulled from her. “We had asked him about that and he had declined.”

Twilights mind whirled as she thought of how to hide that he had allowed her to make the choice for him. “He came to that decision later after seeing the land and he saw that it would be more trouble than it was worth to keep.” She replied, hoping that was close enough to the truth.

Luna sat back in her chair and she blinked as she looked at the tabletop and then to the young Alicorn. “We had asked him to simply give up the dispute and he informed us that we were out of line and…”

“You didn’t let him get to know you.” Twilight interrupted, her tone clipped and short. “He’s not unreasonable if you treat him well and with respect. You can’t walk into his Home and tell him what to do. I worked with him and we came to understand each other. I respect him as a ruler and as a pony. Without one of those, it would not work and he would have kept up the dispute.”

Luna shrunk back in her chair at Twilight's tone and she nodded as she understood what she meant. “We thought to be clear what we wanted from him and it resulted in us being sent home.”

“A lot of ponies will forgive that kind of thing, but not Hunter.” Twilight informed her. “He will react as a King is meant to and he will send you back home while informing you that you’re not welcome back.” Twilight snapped. “He reacts quickly and with clear judgment and his actions are rarely off the mark.”

“So far we have underestimated him.” Celestia admitted.

“You wanted me to befriend him and use that to hurt him.” Twilight went on, her anger clear. “I went in thinking that is what I had to do to get what you wanted. He was brutal that first time we all met him. But in the same instant, he was kind to me and let me voice my fears to him. You underestimated him and you underestimated friendship and all that it can accomplish. I see him as a valued friend and I chose to let the land go to the back of my mind and treat him as he was meant to be treated, with respect and dignity.”

The others were silent as she breathed. Luna looked ashamed as she tried to melt further into her seat and Celestia clenched her jaw and looked away from the younger mare. Twilight held onto her anger and it stayed at the front of her mind. She could feel the heat that came from it as it stayed under her skin and she fought to stay in control and not scream in frustration. She wanted them to understand that what they had wanted her to do was wrong and she had chosen not to accomplish it that way,

“He knew why I was there and he made sure I knew it. His kingdom, his rules. I followed them and slowly I grew to care about him as a dear friend and he came to understand that I was not there to harm him and try to force him to do anything. In time we came to understand each other and he allowed me and the girls to see it from his perspective and by doing that I came to understand that he was right to fight for it.”

Luna's ears were forward as she focused on the angry mare. “You were on his side?”

“Yes. Tirek moved the borders and not him and Tirek was our enemy, not Hunters. Hunter watched him just in case but he had every right to fight us on it. He asked me my opinion and I told him what I thought and we talked about it and he came to a decision. Through our friendship and understanding, he came to his decision and I supported him whatever it was going to be.” Twilight replied. While they had not discussed it at length she felt telling them a little bit of it would go a long way to help them understand her position.

She breathed in deeply and closed her eyes to calm herself back down. She opened her eyes a few seconds later to see Celestia and Luna both leaned forward with their hooves on the table. Celestia had a small smile on her muzzle as she regarded the young Alicorn. Twilight bit back a sense of nervousness and fear that came unbidden into her mind.

“Your right.” She said and Twilight felt surprise bite at her as the Sun Princess went on. “We were wrong to try to use Friendship as a means of using him. But you were able to bring him around and…”

“No. I didn’t use our friendship against him at all. I did not manipulate him at all. If anything he learned more from me then I did about him. He knows all about Equestria and I know a few things about the Netherworld and its territories. If anypony used friendship to get what he wanted, it was him.”

Celestia had balked at the interruption but her face had gone from annoyed into shocked as Twilight spoke. “What do you know about his kingdom?”

“What do you want to know?” She replied quickly.

“How big is the army?” Luna asked.

“I have no idea. I asked but he never told me and I never pressed for it. I do know that he can outnumber us if he wants to. The thing is that he has no desire to at this time. He knows that Equestria does not have an advanced military and we would need volunteers if we wanted to go into battle with more numbers. He has no need for it.”

Celestia eyes widened for several seconds before she collected herself. “How big is the territory in terms of comparison to ours?”

Twilight shrugged comically, her regalia moving with her easily. “I have no idea.”

Luna leaned forward and her eyes were closed for a second before she spoke. “How many dragons?”

Twilight thought it over for a moment before she looked back at them. “I know that there are at least twenty that would go to battle for him.”

“How big are they?” She pressed.

“Each one is not as big as Sorkeno, but they are not much smaller. That’s only a fraction of how many he has within the Netherworld as far as I could tell. The real number could be much more. If he went to war with us I do not doubt that all of them would come forward at his command.” She admitted.

Luna sat back and she shook her head in disbelief. “How foolish would it be to press him?”

Twilight was not able to stop the bark of laughter that broke free of her mouth. She put a hoof to her mouth and coughed to try to hide the laughter that threatened to come out of her throat. “I would not help you do that.”

“You would stand with him?”

“No. I would stand in between and try to stop it. Nothing good would come of it and you know it, Princess Luna. His might is second to how he would charge the field personally to end it.” Luna shook her head once more and her eyes fell to her hooves in her lap. “Bring the moon and sun against him and he would still stand in the front.” Twilight whispered out.

“He would fight against us?”

“In a heartbeat,” Twilight replied easily. “But he has chosen to let go of the land and we don’t need to worry about his army size or anything like that. He is our neighbor and we can have a good relationship with him so long as we respect him.”

“You think we can let him alone at our border?” Celestia asked her.

“Of course we can. We have until now. Why would we press him when we have no reason to?” Twilight argued.

“That’s true. He is your friend and that makes him a friend to Equestria. We will alert the towns that they remain in our rule and that the land behind them is now his. We will set the border and ensure that it is maintained.” Celestia said as she leaned back in her seat.

Twilight breathed out a short sigh of relief as they came to understand her points. She got up from her chair and moved to the door. She avoided mentioning anything about the lone minion that remained with her and she left through the doors and started to close them behind her when the sound of voices caught her ear. Her mind locked onto the tones of voices from the Princesses and she put her ear close to the still barely open doorway.

“I did not think she would be able to get him to back off,” Luna said to her sister. “But I am glad I was wrong. Now we just need to put the border where we want it and that will finish it.”

“Your right. We can push the line back into his territory slightly and it will allow us to retain the land as we wish.” Celestia replied. “She did very well.”

Twilight eyes went wide as they spoke. ‘What are they talking about?’ She thought to herself as she focused on eavesdropping.

“The territory lines were old anyway and with Tirek’s attack, our position was weakened for a time. But now that Twilight has befriended him we have nothing to worry about. If things change we can send her and her friends in once more to change his mind.” The Sun Princess went on.

"We should be able to appease the Nobles with this as well. They have been up in arms since he made that appearance at the Gala. The Overlords lands are ripe with gem and gold mines and other natural resources that we can use to our own benefit." Luna advised.

Twilight bit her bottom lip as she listened in. She had known that the nobles had not been pleased with Hunter since he did not bow and scrape to any of them but she had not thought they would go so far as asking for the borders to be pushed. She bit back a heavy gulp as her mouth went dry and her wings flicked at her sides. She pushed her ear closer to the door and hoped that she was still hidden.

"From what we have been able to tell he does not monitor the border with troops or towers so we should be able to sneak by unnoticed. And if not then Twilight can smooth things over for us." Celestia said to her younger sister. "Our teams can survey the land and we can harvest what we need from it. Our own lands are not as nutrient-rich in metals and minerals as his and over time our stocks have slipped."

"Could we not simply purchase it from him?" Luna asked, her voice quiet.

"We could. But we do not have any trade set up with him and we do not have a known exchange rate for the coin between us. I have never seen any of the money he uses and do not know what the rate would be. While we could go ahead and start up trade and begin to purchase from him this method saves time."

Her jaw dropped open and she stared ahead of her. She had known that they were using her to befriend him in the beginning but she had chosen to confront them about it and she thought that had been the end of the issue. Now that she knew what they were planning she was horrified. They were still using her friendship with him and she could feel anger building in her. Her heartbeat harder in her chest as she backed up from the door and her magic gripped her saddlebags and they snapped into place around her girth. Her wings tightened around her and her magic once more flared as she summoned a scroll and quill.

Author's Note:

Now that his vacation is over he's headed back home and we see what happens when he does.

Edited: 5/4/2020-added more dialogue between Celestia and Luna to explain their reasoning

PreviousChapters Next