• Published 25th Apr 2018
  • 14,885 Views, 916 Comments

An Overlord Apart - OblivionShadow



An emissary is needed to visit the Northern borders of Equestria. Beyond them is the Netherworld Empire. An Overlord awaits.

  • ...
23
 916
 14,885

PreviousChapters Next
46: Explanations Given

Twilight stood outside the meeting chamber, her heart beating harder in her chest. Her Netherworld Regalia glowed gently in its place and she took some comfort in its gentle glow. The fact that the blue minions that had been used in its creation were with her was of small comfort to her. She was not sure why but she liked knowing they were close to her. She looked back at her saddlebags and the documents and evidence that sat within them. Her ears flicked as the sound of an inner door caught her attention and that told her that the other Princesses had arrived and were now waiting for her. She had called on them earlier in the week to meet with her as she had many things to tell them about.

“Okay, here we go. I can do this.” She whispered to herself and her horn lit with her aura as she used her magic to push the double doors open.

The other Alicorn’s looked up as she walked in and they both gave her a welcoming smile as she approached the table that they sat at. The purple mare smiled in reply as they both straightened as she set her saddlebags on the ground by her hooves and sat down across from them.

“Good morning Twilight,” Celestia said to her, her tone calm and serene.

Twilight felt warmth spread through her at the sight of the same smile that she had been given many times as the other mare’s student. It was warm and comforting to her but she felt trepidation flow into her as her thoughts fell on why she had called to speak to them went through her mind. Her skin trembled and her wings tightened around her body as she waited for Luna to speak in turn.

“Twilight? Why have thee called on us both?” Luna asked her, skipping a greeting entirely.

Twilight nearly chuckled at the slip into old speech but she held it back. Celestia nudged her sister in teasing and the younger mare looked at her as she suddenly cringed and went back to looking at Twilight. Twilight cleared her throat gently and took a breath as she prepared to speak.

“I wanted to alert the two of you to things that have been going on. I have been working with Hunter on a few things and I wanted to bring you up to speed.” She began.

“What do you mean?” Celestia asked her, gently interrupting.

Twilight stared at her for a moment at the interruption and she felt aggravation flare before she quashed it. “Many years ago Hunter was the target of an attempted murder that might have succeeded if not for other factors. He has been trying to track down the culprit for quite some time and he got a lead recently.”

Luna’s eyes went wide for several seconds before she composed herself once more and leaned slightly forward. “Why would anypony be willing to risk repercussions that would arise from trying to kill him?”

“It was an attempt that was born of greed and stupidity.” She growled in reply.

Both mares raised an eyebrow at her tone but seemed to let it slide as they both leaned back in their chairs.

“When did this happen?” Celestia asked her.

“It happened back when Hunter had retaken his kingdom back after losing control of it when he was first named Overlord. It happened in one of his territories after he regained control.”

“Why did he lose control of it in the first place?” Luna asked.

Twilight paused as she considered what she was allowed to say. She did not want to give more information that Hunter would have allowed but at the same time, she was not sure how it would have been used against him. It was not detrimental to him in a large way or even in a small one. She shrugged and her shoulders tensed slightly as she went on.

“His father vanished when he was young some their nobility took advantage of it and stage a coup. Thus he had to retake his kingdom.”

Celestia nodded and looked thoughtful. “So when he lost his kingdom he learned all about it in the meantime and went about retaking it later.”

Luna was quiet as she looked from the table to the purple Alicorn and back to the table then to the white mare at her side. “So he told you about that?”

“He told me about it so that I would understand a bit more about how his kingdom is run and why he acts the way he does.” Twilight explained.

The other mares seemed to accept what she had said and Twilight bit back a relieved sigh. Celestia watched her for several seconds and Twilight held back a quizzical look of her own and the look faded from her former mentor's face. Luna tapped her chin with her hoof and seemed to think deeply about what had been said.

“How did he find the ponies who attacked him?” Luna asked, her tone inquisitive.

“In Everlight there was an arena that was used for tournaments and sponsored fights. He had not been to it after he had retaken the kingdom and he allowed it to continue due to the history of it in the area. He was alerted to an issue in that area and he was attacked when he arrived and imprisoned. He was placed into the arena and monsters set against him to try to kill him, he was used as a spectacle for those allowed to spectate.” Twilight explained.

She waited for them to react to what she had told them and she worked through her mind what she would tell them next. She would leave out how he was hurt and only explain that he was. She would explain how it had happened and what had been done about it.

“How badly wounded was he?” Luna asked.

“Bad enough that he had the entire Arena destroyed.” She replied, cutting out part of her explanation.

“He destroyed it?” Celestia asked and her face was curious as she went back to listening.

“Yes. He leveled it to the ground.”

“How?” Luna asked. “We assume it was sizable.”

“I assume it was as well. I didn’t see it or any sign of it while we were there. I guess he had the wreckage tended to and other structures built in its place. It happened years before we arrived in the Netherworld.” Twilight explained. “As to how it was destroyed Sorkeno did it at Hunter's command.” She paused as they looked uncertain at the mention of the dragon’s name. “The golden dragon he had with him.”

“Ahh I see,” Celestia said as understanding went over her face.

Luna cringed at the thought of the enormous dragon. “Are they all that size?”

Twilight bit back a sigh at the question. They had asked this before but she chose not to point that out. “No. They're smaller but not by much.” She informed her. “Anyway. Back to what happened recently.”

“How did he track down the ponies who harmed him?” Celestia asked.

“In his kingdom, he had captured a pony that had been involved in the attempted killing of him years before. He questioned that pony and he was able to put him on the right track.” Twilight replied.

“How did he connect this pony to Equestria?” Luna asked her, her tone hurried.

“When he was questioned he implicated a third party in the purchase of a monster that was used against Hunter in the arena. That monster had done the most damage and Hunter wished to hunt down the seller. The pony he captured was connected with an organization that exists in Equestria. This organization had also made the appearance in the Empire Heartlands as well.”

“Were we told about that?” Celestia asked her, her tone uncertain.

“Yes. I sent a letter about it.” Twilight quickly replied.

“I recall the letter,” Luna said and nodded at the memory of it.

Celestia looked thoughtful and after several seconds she closed her eyes for a moment as she nodded in remembrance. “I do recall it now. My apologies for forgetting for a moment.” She said with a chuckle at herself.

Twilight stifled a giggle at her former mentor’s forgetfulness. “It’s fine. The ponies in that incident were questioned later by Hunter and they were connected to a group that is stationed in Equestria and not in his Kingdom.”

“How did he locate where they were stationed?” Luna asked.

Twilight grimaced. “I’m actually not sure how he got the information. He brought it up to me later and he already had the information to provide me.” She admitted.

“Why were you not informed?” Celestia pressed.

Twilight gave a low chuckle in response. “I was only brought into the situation when he needed help to find a location within the walls of Canterlot. He didn’t know the layout of the city so I helped him from there.”

“Did that bother you?” Celestia asked her, her voice hesitant.

Twilight barked a laugh and shook her head. “Of course not.”

Luna grinned widely in response to Twilight’s laughter. “Were you able to find what he needed?”

“Yes. It was a bar in the red district and he brought me with him to the meeting he had with the ponies he learned were connected.” Twilight explained.

Both Alicorn’s nodded in understanding. “What is the result of his investigation?” Celestia asked.

“He found out the name of the supplier who supplied the Chimera that was used against him and he was able to find them and take them into custody.”

“Where are those ponies now?” Luna wondered aloud.

She paused and looked uncomfortable for a moment before she went on. “They are in his kingdom's dungeons.”

“How many were involved?” Celestia questioned.

“That I am not sure of,” Twilight admitted. “Only Hunter knows the exact numbers of ponies that were directly involved, I do know that he took every Chimera that they owned as well.”

Luna made a thoughtful noise as she slouched in her chair for a moment. “We assume that you did not call us here just to inform us of this. Is there more?”

Twilight nodded and her horn lit as she lifted her saddlebags in her magic and pulled out three packets of documents from within the bags. Her magic lifted two of the three and set one in front of her fellow Princesses so they had one packet each. Luna stared at the packet in front of her and Celestia looked amused at the sight of it. Once her magic had faded Twilight settled into her chair and looked at them. Luna's eyes darted from the packet to the purple Alicorn, back to the packet and back to her.

“Now. If you would open the packet to page one I will outline what exactly we have been doing.” Twilight said to them and her magic flicked open her own packet to keep her on task and organized.

PreviousChapters Next