• Published 24th Apr 2018
  • 15,338 Views, 459 Comments

To start over - Midnight_Song95

  • ...
21
 459
 15,338

Chapter 52

To say that she was nervous would have been an understatement for Sunset Shimmer as she got ready for school that following day. Her heart felt as if it was about to blow from her chest and her hands shook as she attempted to button up the shirt that she had decided on.

Calm down. Mom said that she was going to put protective measures into place, whatever that means in a high school setting. But what if something goes wrong? I can't possibly fight back in the condition I'm in. What if....her thoughts were drowned out by a heavy knocking at her door.

“Are you okay in there?” Celestia's voice came from behind the door causing the teen to sigh.

“Yeah, I'm just finishing up with my hair.” Sunset responded, although it wasn't quite the truth because she had just been staring at her reflection for several minutes, lost in thought. What if the princess and Twilight doesn't believe it's not me and the girl's haven't called or even texted since school day before yesterday...What if they hate me now too?

Tears stung her eyes at that thought but she tried to hold them back. Keep it together Sunset, You can't let people see how badly this whole thing is bothering you. You already have been needy enough toward Celestia and Luna....Although that didn't turn out anywhere near as badly as you thought it would. But it's not like anyone else would care, most people would probably celebrate making you feel like shit.

She was so preoccupied that she didn't hear the door open until a hand gently cupped around the back of her neck, electing a squeak in response though she relaxed when she saw Celestia's amused reflection in the mirror.

“I thought you said that you were trying to fix your hair. It looks like a rat's nest.” Celestia commented teasingly as picked up the brush and carefully began to untangle the girl's two-toned hair.

“Shut up.” Sunset winced at how pathetic that she sounded get it together, you sound like a scared little foal. If you want to prove to everyone that it's not you have to stand your ground and not let them get to you. You have to fight even if it hurts. She scolded herself mentally, angrily brushing away a stray tear

that made it's way down her cheek.

“Chrysalis has arranged for someone to be with you in every class, basically like a body guard. She said two you should feel like you can trust.” Celestia said, trying to take the teen's mind off of whatever was making her upset. “you do still have friends, although everything seems to be turning to choas around you.” she reminded her, earning a glare from the teen who whirled around to face her.

“Like who? My so called friends who hasn't even texted me to see how I'm doing? The blowhard who probably is pretending to be my friend in order to get something?” Sunset yelled, fists clenched as she tried to control herself.

Celestia's eyes widened slightly as she took a step away from the teen, not out of fear of the girl herself however there was an odd warmth to the air around her, something that made the hair on Celestia's neck stand on end. What is going on? She wondered as she watched as what seemed to be golden sparks sparkle briefly around the girl.

“Sunset, perhaps you are over thinking things?” Celestia suggested, forcing herself to return to the teen's side and kneeling beside of her on the chair. “Perhaps the storm caused an issue on their street? We do live in the upper part of town after all.” she reminded her gently, wincing as one of the sparks touched her skin, though to the instructor's surprise it didn't burn even though it looked like embers.

“But everyone hate's me! Ever since this fucking Anon-a-miss...” Sunset trailed off, tears beginning to fall as she hung her head, ashamed for her outburst. “Sorry, I shouldn't...” she half expected Celestia to scold her, although to her surprise arms gingerly wrapped around her.

“I know this has been hell for you Sunset, I know that you've tried to keep a brave face about all of this. Please don't keep everything inside anymore because it will just eat you up inside.” The response caught the redhead off guard, whatever she had been ready to say dying in her throat as she glanced up at her adoptive mother.

“But I...How can I do anything if anyone thinks I'm too pathetic to...” she forced out the question, though Celestia just narrowed her eyes slightly, though they were still gentle behind the slightly stern expression.

“You are anything but pathetic Sunset. You have been put through things that a lot of people wouldn't have survived and you have been hurt more than any person should ever be. Now don't let me ever hear you put yourself down like that again because it's not true, my girl.” Celestia's voice never left it's usual soothing tones, even as seriousness colored it.

“But I feel pathetic.” she confessed softly earning a sigh.

“You're not, what you've been through...I would have completely given up.” Celestia replied, pressing a kiss to her temple before adding “You can still back out if you want to. It's completely up to you.”

“I don't want to go but I have to. I'm the one who asked Princess Celestia for help and I should be there.” Sunset answered, wiping a hand across her eyes.

“alright, but you know you can come to my office at any time during the day if things get too tough, right?” Celestia reminded her in a gentle tone as she stood, picking up the brush and returning her attention to brushing the girl's hair.

“I know Mom...And I can't thank you enough for all the support that you've given me.” Sunset replied, forcing a smile though she was nervous.

“there is no need to to thank me for anything Sunset.”


“Has anyone heard from Sunset Shimmer? I tried to call her yesterday before the power went out but evidently the phone lines are messed up because all I got was static and a strange beeping noise.” Rainbow Dash complained as she met with her friends in front of Pinkie Pie's locker the next morning.

“Nope. This weather has played havoc out at my place. Even our landline is out.” Applejack responded

“My cell service is fried.”

“I haven't had signal since before lunch day before yesterday.”

Fluttershy sighed as she heard this “I tried but all I got was a busy signal. You don't think she was hurt worse than we thought, do you?” she asked, causing the others to exchange looks as a silence passed over them, none wanting to think about what that would have implied.

“Hey, she survived a rainbow blast to the face...she can survive anything.” Trixie commented, causing the five other girls to nearly jump out of their skin at the sudden voice.

“Trixie! When the heck did you get here?” Rainbow Dash demanded as she turned toward the magician who was just causally putting things in her locker, as if she wasn't talking to the other girls at all.

“like ten minutes ago, I agreed to come in at the same time as Vice Principal Luna in to help her with the camera system.” The magician responded, smirking at as they stood there too dumbfounded to speak so she continued: “Trixie's mother went to school with the principals.”

“Just what are you up to Trixie? There is no way that you are just playing little miss perfect for nothin'.” Applejack stated, earning an eye roll from the platinum haired girl.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie always has a trick up her sleeve doesn't she? Maybe you should worry less about what I am up to and more into what is going on with Sunset Shimmer. After all, she hasn't told you anything about her personal life yet has she?”

With that she walked off, leaving the girls with their thoughts.

“What do you think that meant? That Sunset is Anon-a-miss? Ah swear Ah hardly understand anything that comes out of that girl's mouth.” AJ questioned, earning a sigh from Rarity.

“I don't think she meant anything about Anon-a-miss, I think she meant Sunset's personal life, Darling. Though my question is why did Sunset tell that.....egotist....and not us? Aren't we her friends?”

“I think we're over thinking things, I bet it's just because she is afraid of what we'll say or think if we find out that she has been adopted or something.” Pinkie Pie stated, earning a weird look from everyone but Fluttershy.

“Why should she be afraid of our reactions just because she got adopted? I think it's a good thing if she did!” the soft spoken girl replied, though before Pinkie could say anything else Rainbow cut her off.

“You're right, she has mentioned a foster Mom lately and has been acting weird when we talked about her family. I just wonder why. You don't think she's being abused or something do you? I mean, I know people who's parents suck and they didn't tell anyone until their aunt found out!”

Sunset slowly approached her friends, not sure if they would want her around or not, after all why wouldn't they return any of her texts? As she got closer to them Sunset could hear that they were talking about her, which caused her heart to sink.

I knew it, they blame me too. She thought, however just as she was about to turn and walk away she heard what Rainbow said next, anger in her voice: “I swear if I find out someone's been hurting her I'm going to kick their ass! She's been through a hell of a lot of shit. She doesn't deserve all this shit that's been happening!”

Wait, they still want to be my friend? Even with all this stuff that's been happening? The redhead wondered, not quite believing what she was hearing although she forced herself to walk over to her friends. “Hey guys.” she said, only to find herself yelping in both surprise and pain as Pinkie practically tackled her in a hug.

“Sunset! You're okay. When none of us could get hold of you yesterday we started to worry that you were admitted in the hospital!” the hyperactive girl stated, earning a small laugh from Sunset at the irony of that statement.

“No, I got to go home a few hours after they put the cast on my arm and to be honest I kinda thought that you guys didn't want to talk to me anymore with all this anon-a-miss stuff going on.” Sunset confessed while Applejack pulled Pinkie off of her.

“Why would we do that Dear? It's not like you are anon-a-miss...although I must say I do want to ask you what you told Trixie that you wouldn't tell us.” Rarity stated, earning a groan from the former unicorn.

“I am going to kill her.” Sunset muttered before adding louder for her friends “Come with me to the front office, I'll explain everything and before you ask...No. No one abuses me at home and Rainbow, you really need to learn how to whisper. Like seriously.”

Following Sunset to the office the girl's couldn't help but wonder just why they had to go there for Sunset to tell them whatever it was that she had told Trixie.

“Hey Raven, Can I get you to do me a favor?” Sunset caught all of their attention by calling the secretary by her first name, although the dark haired woman just smiled slightly and glanced toward the rest of the group before nodding.

“Of course that depends on what it is. You know your Mom would kill me if I let you and your friends skip.” Raven responded, earning a chuckle.

“It's nothing like that, I just wanted to ask you if you could call Spitfire and Soarin and ask them to keep watch on the statue outside, Mom and I are expecting some company today.”

With a nod Raven let them inside the still empty office before Sunset turned toward the other girls.

“aren't we going to be in trouble for coming in here without permission?” Fluttershy asked as Sunset shut the door.

“Nah, I'll just explain why we came in here to begin with. Besides not the whole school can know what I'm about to tell you.” the former pony began, earning an curious look from everyone

“And that is?” Applejack prompted, causing her to sigh.

“The reason that Celestia had my phone and seems overly interested in everything that happens involving me is because....She adopted me.”

“What!”

Everyone spoke at once, causing Sunset to groan and cover her ears. Well at least no one fainted...But I think I'm going to need hearing aids after this.

Author's Note:

So this is the calm before the storm....Next chapter the Drama starts for real.