• Published 24th Apr 2018
  • 15,272 Views, 459 Comments

To start over - Midnight_Song95

  • ...
21
 459
 15,272

Chapter 48

What if she doesn't have the journal anymore? What if she is still angry over what I have done? What if she hates me? Can I do this on my own if I have to? What could even cause these storms like this? Sunset felt sick as her mind raced with possibilities as she sat at the desk, staring into space as she waited for any kind of response. Why did I have to be so stupid? I just wanted her to be proud of me and to see me as someone worthy of her time but I can see why she never wanted to give me the time of day.

She was so caught up in her thoughts that she didn't notice anyone walk into the room until something heavy and warm dropped around her, causing her to look up only to see Luna standing behind her.

“You should be downstairs where it's warm.” the woman chided before glancing over at the messy handwriting that covered the page.

“I...I had to try to get some answers.” Sunset responded in a small voice as she glanced back down at the paper though she couldn't suppress a shiver as Luna adjusted the blanket around her.

“and you had to freeze yourself half to death in order to do it?” Luna quipped before sighing and tightening her arms around Sunset from behind as she added gingerly:

“We'll figure this out Sunset. Maybe it's not magical, maybe it is but if it is we'll figure out a way to solve this together. Now, get your things and come downstairs where it's warm.”


“Princess Celestia!”

The princess of the Sun groaned as she was awoken an hour before she was supposed to be in order to raise the sun, causing her to glare toward her door, which she slowly opened.

“What is it Kibitz?” She asked, trying to suppress a yawn as she used one wing to try to rub the sleep from her eyes. This better be important. She thought though her grogginess quickly vanished as she saw the white unicorn produce a familiar book from his saddlebag, one that was glowing and shaking violently.

“Is that Sunset Shimmer's old journal?” She questioned, not quite believing what she was seeing as her majordomo levitated the book over to her, laying it on the bed.

“Yes, I do believe it is your majesty...Though I don't understand why she would be writing to you after everything that she has done.” he stated, earning a sigh from Celestia who flipped open the tome.

“Everypony makes mistakes and Sunset was so young when she came here...Younger than most of the students that I would even allow the board to accept into my school. I believe that had something to do with how Sunset behaved.” Princess Celestia answered as she scanned the page, her eyes widening as she read the words.

“Kibitz, write a letter to Twilight Sparkle in Ponyville and tell her I will be sending a team of Pegasi to collect her. Tell her that there is an emergency concerning Sunset Shimmer and her friends in the other world.” The princess stated.

Once the stallion had left the room Celestia closed her eyes, the words that she had just read washing over her.

Oh Sunset...Why do you think that I would never forgive you? I was just as much at fault as you were about a lot of the things that transpired between us. She thought bitterly as she remembered the last words that she had said to the girl the night she had run away. I made the same mistakes with you that I made with Luna. I was a fool who never learned...But how can I tell you these things?

Sighing she pushed the thoughts out of her head as she levitated a quill and ink over to her bedside, carefully writing out the words:

Dear Sunset Shimmer,

Do you remember the tale of hearths warming? How Wendigos fed off of negative energy and conflict and as they grew more powerful they caused blizzards and freezing weather? Is it possible that your world also has these creatures?

Returning the quill to the ink Celestia sighed and closed her eyes. There's an answer to one topic in this letter. She mentally told herself before glancing back at Sunset's letter before she picked up the quill again.

And Sunset, please don't think you are bothering me because that is far from the truth. I am glad that you thought to seek help when you weren't sure besides searching for an answer on your own and perhaps endangering yourself. If at all possible help will come to you soon and if not, I will try to guide you via this book.

Celestia paused once again as she reread Sunset's letter, trying to collect her thoughts. She is almost exactly like Luna was after the nightmare moon fiasco. I doubt there is any way I can apologize enough for that, especially not in a letter.

And one more thing,

You're apology means just as much as anypony's. Just because someone makes mistakes doesn't mean that they can't be forgiven...and you weren't the only pony in Equestria who has ever made decisions that they later regretted. Everypony has.

Closing the book with a snap Celestia climbed out of bed and began to prepare for Twilight's arrival. If it is Wendigos then how did they get to that world and more importantly how did they come to get that much power? They usually appeared during wars or mass scale conflict such as with the three tribes. The princess wondered with a sigh as she glanced toward the clock. In a few hours I'll have to raise the sun, however, I think that Kibitz and Raven can fill in for me...I think there are some things that I need to do concerning Sunset Shimmer and it would be best if I didn't attempt to do so over paper.