• Published 24th Apr 2018
  • 15,271 Views, 459 Comments

To start over - Midnight_Song95

  • ...
21
 459
 15,271

Chapter 35

“How about you come to my place since I'm on house arrest? I'm sure my foster mother won't mind.” Sunset suggested the next day at her locker, earning a surprised look from most of the girls in their group.

“Whoa, hold up. You're going to stop being secretive about where you live? What on earth happened? Did you hit your head or something?” Rainbow Dash asked, earning an eye roll form the redhead.

“I was not secretive about where I live! I just didn't know if she wanted you guys to know or not because it could make her job harder!” Sunset stated, blushing as she realized that her tone had been slightly irritated. “Sorry...I haven't slept well for two nights.”

“We can tell. You kinda look like a raccoon.” Applejack responded with a chuckle before adding “Doesn't your Mom notice?”

Sunset sighed and glanced down at the floor, trying to figure out how she was going to drop this bombshell on her friends.

“Oh she notices and the problem isn't falling asleep. It's staying asleep. I mean, I have been taking some kind of capsule but I screwed up and she found out so yeah...that's not an option now.” Sunset sighed before adding “I've tried herbal teas and that did nothing to keep me asleep.”

“Maybe you can try some Lavender in your room? Or even get some Melatonin tablets?” Fluttershy suggested, “both are natural.”

“I'll see if I can't get someone to pick up some from the store this evening. Since I'm not going to be stuck painting, I'm stuck doing more community service.”

This earned a confused look from all of her friends.

“just what did you do anyway?” Rarity asked, earning a groan.

“I don't want to talk about it. Come on, let's go find Trixie. I'm pretty sure whatever she has to show us will be worthwhile, even if it is because she crashes and burns.” Sunset responded, earning a laugh from everyone.

“Let's hope your Mom doesn't mind a half-witted magician because you know Trixie will want to tag along at the sleepover!” Rainbow Dash commented, earning a sigh

“Well, Trixie kinda already met my family so I guess it's okay.”

“What? That weasel met them already when you wouldn't even tell us who it was? Now that isn't fair!”


Meanwhile, Celestia set in her office, listening to the rain as it beat down outside. There is no way I am making that girl get out in this cold of weather, in the rain even if she does deserve some kind of punishment for the mess she caused I don't want her getting sick. She thought, not even noticing when Luna walked in, carrying a stack of papers.

“It's really coming down out there.” the blue-haired woman stated, chuckling a bit when the older woman jolted from her thoughts. “you were really out of it. Something on your mind?”

Celestia sighed then, rubbing at her temples “I don't want to put Sunset outside in this weather, even if she does happen to have a winter jacket.” she confessed, earning a chuckle.

“then don't. I'm keeping an eye on the girl's volleyball team today so she can clean up the mess that is the gym while I deal with the team.” Luna responded before adding “I mean, the mayor is having the graffiti personality cleaned up anyway, so what's one day of change of plans? The girl still is going to be working her tail off.”

Celestia managed a nod though Luna could tell something was still bothering her.

“that isn't the only thing troubling you Sister.”

“You should have seen her yesterday. She acted scared to death Luna...even after we talked about everything. She acted almost like she expected me to suddenly change my mind about what I said to her.” Celestia admitted, earning a bemused look from the younger woman

“and what exactly did you say to her? I mean, it couldn't have been too bad because she felt well enough to give you a hug this morning before she ran off with Miss. Lulamoon and who knows what kind of mischief those two have gotten up to today.” Luna questioned, smirking at the suddenly concerned look on Celestia's face.

“Nothing has blown up I hope? I swear those two will end up turning me prematurely gray.” Celestia retorted, earning a laugh.

“Hey, Sunset's your daughter and don't even say she isn't. You basically act like a mom around her and despite how she acts so independent...she looks up to you. I saw that the day after her fight with Thunderlane.” Luna said before adding teasingly “and besides Trixie having a bit of an accident involving a foaming chemical spray today in her chemistry class...No, nothing blew up.”

Celestia sighed then and closed her eyes “I very much doubt she sees me as anything resembling a mother. I mean, she is sixteen.” the woman retorted, earning a scoff.

“Tia, she may be sixteen but that doesn't stop a kid from longing for that sort of connection. Heck, most adults who age out of the foster care system admits to wanting to know what it is like to have a family.”

Celestia sighed at that and closed her eyes.

“Luna, if she hears you saying that she'll probably freak out and think I'm expecting something of her.” she said wearily though her sister just let out another scoff

“Celestia, the kid is looking for a place to belong. Sure you called her family, but she's going to start wondering what exactly that means. What are you going to do if she calls you Mom? Tell her she can't?”

Luna had a point and Celestia knew it. What could I do if she ever says something like that? I can't deny that even though she has only been living with me for a short while that I love her. But am I ready to be a mother? I mean, as a guardian it's almost the same thing but it's more personal when someone thinks of you as a mother figure. The aurora-haired woman thought before she answered:

“If Sunset brings it up then it's fine. But I am not going to do something that will weird the girl out. Now, don't you have papers to file or something? Anything besides bugging me?”