• Published 24th Apr 2018
  • 15,271 Views, 459 Comments

To start over - Midnight_Song95

  • ...
21
 459
 15,271

Chapter 13

Celestia watched as Luna changed the bandages on Sunset’s back, the large wounds had slowly begun the healing process though the bandages still needed changing. Celestia had taken on that job herself for the past couple of days, though it was obvious that Sunset preferred Luna for some reason.

“Sunset, I think we need to talk.” Celestia began, taking note how the teen stiffened so she added quickly “you’re not in any trouble. I just want to get to know you a bit is all.”

“Okay.” Sunset managed to say, fidgeting on the plush footstool she had been sitting on in front of Luna “what do you want to know?”

“Whatever you want to tell us. Though I do have to ask, what is that book you tossed into the wall earlier? The symbol on it is like the one on your bag.” Luna replied, earning a sigh from the teen.

“Why did I know this was going to come up?” Sunset said as she glanced down at the carpet before she answered “it's a book that my former mentor gave me that is enchanted so that whatever is written on one page appears in another. We’d use it to go over lessons and such when she had to be out of town.”

Celestia’s eyes flicked up to meet with Luna’s, who nodded.

“You two must have been close. For you to hold onto it for this long.” Celestia decided to be the one playing bad cop and ask, though she regretted it when she saw the girl’s shoulders slump.

“Kind of. I mean, when I was younger we seemed to be. I guess I kept it because one part of me wanted to be able to reach out to her if I needed to.” Sunset answered honestly, not wanting to answer any more questions but also didn't want to seem rude.

“I see. I’m sorry I made you uncomfortable.” Celestia said softly “I am just curious about who the real Sunset Shimmer is, not the girl you became because I remember how curious and almost even nervous you were when you first enrolled. Then you became…”

Sunset cut her off, her voice bitter “A bitch?” she suggested, earning a disapproving look though Celestia didn't say anything for a few minutes before she replied:

“I don't see that and I doubt Luna sees that in you either. But I hope you will eventually let us see the real Sunset Shimmer, not just the little miss bad man you tried to be.”


The red-haired former unicorn couldn't help but smile slightly at the teasing tone that the woman took with her. Maybe she is different than the princess?

“I never thanked you for giving me a second chance. I mean most people would just….write me off as not worth the time.” Sunset said, risking a glance up at the aurora haired woman who had moved to kneel in front of her, much to her surprise.


“Everyone deserves a second or even third chance because no one is perfect, not even if they act like they are. Even the worse bully can turn around, trust me...I should know.” Celestia’s calm tone before glancing up at Luna who chuckled.

“Trust you? You mean you actually will admit to that?” Luna joked before adding “see

unset, you weren't the only teenaged girl hell-bent on popularity. Celestia was what did you call it? A Queen bitch? Though I am sure I called her worse than that back in those days.”


Sunset was speechless for a few minutes before she let out a small chuckle “wait you did what? I find that hard to believe!”

“It's true. Though I think my biggest target was Luna.”

Celestia answered with a glance at Luna who chuckled and shrugged “like I said, we all have our skeletons in the closet.”

Sunset was quiet for a few minutes, unsure what to think since the two women before her seemed to be perfect on the surface or at least outside of their snippy comments toward each other. How can they just admit to all of that and act like it is no big deal? She wondered though suddenly she was broken from her thoughts by a touch on the shoulder.


“Are you okay?”

“Huh? Yeah, I was just thinking.” Sunset answered “does it get easier to deal with the guilt? Does it ever really go away?”

“Well...no. Not entirely but it does get easier.” Luna was the one to answer “some days are better than others but it helps to know that someone is there that loves you.”