• Published 6th Feb 2018
  • 382 Views, 2 Comments

In the service of death - Freddyfrijolero



What happens to our souls after death? Do we go to our next destination or can we befriend lady death and maybe live again for a while

  • ...
 2
 382

Who says you only live once

Death, Grim Reaper, Santa Muerte, Yama; Many names for one being, or so that's what we've believed. Whether that has ever been fact and not just superstition and myth has never been looked at. I mean honestly, if someone started to go around saying they met death and talked to them for a while, a psychological evaluation was not far away, right? But what about when you are in fact, dead? I guess the answer should be just go with the flow, maybe?

"The reaper" I repeated, nodding as tears slowly began to run down my cheeks. "I didn't expect that you existed, or have a name." I tried to get up again but my legs didn't have the strength.

She laughed gently at that. Why was her smile and her laughter so familiar? She walked up the side stairs and stopped in front of me. "Eesh, that wound must have been big" She inspected the large spill, most of my blood has not finished drying out yet. "You seem calm to see me, I'm surprised"

"No, im not." I shook my head, and wiped my eyes with my sleeve. My tears were either red or blood, because the fabric was now smeared in that color. As i stared at the stained sleeve, i finally broke down in tears. Instantly she wrapped me in her arms, somehow she was surprisingly warm, I didn't feel like questioning it.

"Im sorry young one" she whispered soothingly in my ear, "its okay. Let it all out my child." I turned to her and gripped at her robes, bawling like a child. The last time I ever cried like this was when my brother, Shining Armor was leaving for guard training and I naively thought I'd never see him again. Princess Celestia comforted and held me just like this.

I cried out as she stroked my hair gently. On and on I went on, mumbling gibberish with each new sentence. She didn't stop comforting me, she didn't mind that I was probably not just wetting her robes but dirtying them too. She treated me like the toddler I was acting out as.

Once i felt calm enough I let go of her, she reached for a handkerchief and handed it to me. "Thanks..." I blew my snot runny nose and was about to hand it back to her but decided against it. She seemed to appreciate the gesture. "So what now, you lead me to the afterlife, heaven or whatever im supposed to go?" I asked finishing cleaning myself up, or at least trying to not look so pathetic.

She took a look at me and then shrugged. "That's for you to decide. I could lead you to the gates of the afterlife and you continue your existence there." I stared in confusion back at her while she casually walked to the edge of the stage and sat down, dangling her legs and patting at the spot beside her. "Or you could listen to my proposition" she spoke cheerfully, hopefully.

Slowly I walked and sat down next to her where she pointed. "okaaay"I began, dreading what kind of deal she would bring up. "You're not gonna ask me to sell my soul or anything like that are you?" I was now expecting to see horns and that scythe to turn into a pitchfork.

Luna laughed instantly, whether that was a good thing or not was still uncertain. "No! Skies above no, my dear child. Nothing extreme as that" she waved her hand and leaned back a bit. "No, I do not deal in treating souls that way. My task is to protect them, and truthfully I can not do it myself" she turned her gaze at her scythe wistfully.

"I am in the need of help, Twilight Sparkle, and I come asking you to join us"

I stared at her, mouth agape in shock. "You want me to be a reaper" scooting back away from her i shook my head "I'm sorry but that seems too much responsibility!" There was many reasons that I thought of to why I wouldn't be a good candidate. For one I was never a field person. My place was behind books, learning by research and information, not exploring.

Luna nodded at this, perhaps she had heard that excuse from time to time before because she didn't look defeated or rejected. "I understand your concern Twilight. Can I call you Twilight, I do not mean to be rude." After my slow confirmation nod, she continued. "No, what I need is fighters, Twilight. There are forces, creatures that wish destroy this world, leave it in darkness and feast upon whats left." She pressed her lips together, now the concern and doubt that I'd accept was showing. it wasn't unfounded obviously, I mean that's crazy. me? a fighter? I hated violence and insisted to the Princess that I didn't need to learn those lessons.

"I..." I wasn't sure how to answer, obviously my answer was no but how could I respond to that drop of information. "I'm sorry, but I have never been one to fight, Im a scholar not a warrior. All the lessons i've taken, experience that i've collected, has been of knowledge." she nodded once more, this time not as confident. She sighed and began to stand up when I cut her off.

"Wait" I called out suddenly, "You said the goal for these creatures or people is to bring darkness. Does that mean that the attackers today, the people that killed me, are involved in this?" her eyes widened in realization for a moment before her expression was a pensive one.

She shook her head and stood in front of me. "No, what those men believed in, were wanting to accomplish, was misinformed. There was a similar villain from long ago, but you don't have to worry about her." she frowned deeply, shook her head and composed herself "Maybe I'll tell you about that story but not today. Listen, I know it sounds scary, it's rare someone agrees to help me and live again, and I don't fault you for it. But I really do believe you would be a great member to our team! Were more like a family really, everyone watches each others backs, everyone helps each other stay sane"

As her speech went on I tried not looking at her, I hated to say no to people asking for help. Until that last piece of information, that is. "Hold the phone." I snapped and stared at her in shock once again "I get to live again?! Why didn't you start with that?!" I shouted standing up and stepping toward her.

She blushed and looked away "Oh!" she answered, her turn to look away in embarrassment "Yeah, I thought I did, my apologies" she cleared her throat and gathered herself. "Yes, if you agree and come with me, you will be alive once again." She looked around and then focused on the stage, "but listen, I don't usually have a rule about keeping your newfound life completely secret but you were killed in literally hundreds of people. If someone found out you were alive it would be really hard to explain. Not to mention our enemies would hear about it and you'd be targeted easily, are you alright with having a new life like this?"

Instantly I stepped back, I got so excited at the thought of having my life again that I didn't realise that it wouldn't be possible, not with how publicly I was killed.

"I guess you're right" i sighed, I looked to the stage thinking. "Even if those people were misinformed, they still acted in favor of those monsters. How many have died because of them?" I asked, suddenly not so sure about my decision.

"Truthfully... Too many to count" She stepped closer and placed her hand on my shoulder. "I've been fighting them for hundreds of years, ever since I became what I am now. Every soul that has been birthed and passed away I've had the privilege to guide. Our world is one of peace and it is for that peace that I will continue to fight. Those who have joined the vigil, they have become the closest family I could ever had hoped for. I sometimes wonder if I ever deserve them." She frowned deeply again. It was a heartbreaking expression that I can only imagine belongs to a huge regret from the past.

Honestly it felt like I was looking at a kicked, hungry puppy now. With the last of my resolution breaking down, I sighed. "Well, I guess if I'm not completely alone and someone can show me the ropes, maybe I won't do so bad, right?" At this Luna snapped back from her saddened state, she stared at me with those wide hopeful eyes again.

"Yes! I promise you, you won't ever have to worry!" she smiled giddily. Quickly she began to climb up the stage rather than walking up to the stairs like before. Somehow it was odd but funny seeing someone who looked so regal act a little childish. "Come on, if were gonna do this, we gotta do it up here" She planted her feet and reached her hand out to me. I climbed up with her help and was pulled instantly after standing up again.

"So the good thing is you did lose a lot of blood here, otherwise we'd be looking for your body all night, I am pretty sure its not in ponyville anymore" She stepped around the splatter, positioned me directly across her and centered her scythe in the center of my blood.

"Alright, close your eyes Twilight, hold the scythe with both hands." She instructed and I followed. I felt her hands cover mine firmly. "Basically what we're going to do is make a new body for you, and sorry but we can't make any adjustments." I nodded, thankfully I had never had a complaint about my figure. Well, at least not most of the time. "By any chance did you take a look backstage? we're gonna need something to cover you with"

I snapped my eyes open "Wait, what?!"

Suddenly I was surrounded by blinding light, I felt as if energy was being injected directly into me.

"From the depths of the veil, in the name of my creed, Twilight Sparkle, rise once more and live!"

I gasped loudly, feeling like I was on the brink of choking. My body spasmed from head to toe and was covered in goosebumps. When I opened my eyes again, I was on my knees, Luna stood reaching her hand out again to help me up. For a moment I almost took it, but instantly moved back and covered my bare naked body, that somehow felt clothed.

"du-bwah?" I looked down and saw that i was not naked at all, it was not what I was wearing before but they were clothes nonetheless.

Luna guffawed at my discovery "Oh my stars hahahaha!" she clutched her stomach almost doubling over, I simply glared hoping she'd fall. "Oh im sorry twilight, I just can't help myself" she slowly began to compose herself but kept laughing regardless "You would assume I've run that joke to the ground but it's still kicking"

The outfit i wore now was color schemed with red and black. A black sweater over a red collared shirt, black pants and shoes. If It wasn't for the colors, it was actually the type of clothes I'd wear during my studies

Once done with her fit, Luna cleared her throat. "Are you done?" I quipped. She nodded, with her weapon she swung downwards behind her, tearing an opening on space itself. It was filled with light and swirling, glowing purple energy, stretching deep into an abyss. Satisfied with her work she turned to me with that warm, welcoming smile once again.

"Come Twilight, let's go home"

Author's Note:

I wanted to have at least the first 2 chapters before i posted anything. Im more happy with this one than the first but wether theyre both any good? I hope you guys think so

Comments ( 2 )

POOR TIA AND TWI'S FAMILY. surely if twi manages to get her self alone with tia she could explain the situation and tell her that she cant tell anyone and then do the same with her family with tia's support to at least have them stop greaving as badly

8716650
Ive got something planned for that but itll be a while.

Login or register to comment