• Published 16th Jan 2018
  • 12,317 Views, 745 Comments

The Princess's Captain - PresentPerfect



Tempest Shadow has come to Ponyville to serve her sentence, or start her new life, depending on who you talk to. She's about to get far more in the way of life changes than she ever imagined.

  • ...
51
 745
 12,317

A Princess's Trials - Part 7

A Princess's Trials
by Present Perfect

Part 7: Griffonstone

You're a burden.

You may gallivant through dangerous forests and ancient temples with the best of them. You may hold your own against centuries-old traps and monster and everyone might treat you like you're some kind of hero, but you know what happens next.

Back to Ponyville.

Back to those soft ponies and their staring, judging eyes. Back to the place where you don't know the first thing about how to even exist. Back to being nothing but a drain on the patience and resources of Princess Sparkle.

You know it's coming. So does she. Look at her. You can see the pity in her eyes. She's just waiting for you to go back to being weak and helpless. She's preparing herself to have to hold your hoof the entire time. She's saying to herself, I really can't blame her, poor thing, I'll just have to do my best to mold her into a functional pony, if that's even possible. This is the burden I took upon myself by offering to help, after all!

You can hear it in her voice because it's true.

The other princess has no less pity for you. Oh, sure, you intimidate her, but you made certain you would from word one, because the intimidated are less likely to pity you. But you've been travelling together for so long, she can see right through you by now. Those ditzy, softhearted types are always good at seeing through facades. And she knows that you know that she knows you're just one trip around the world away from having no idea what to do with yourself and lashing out at those around you in impotent rage.

Don't you just make yourself sick?

So go ahead, keep telling yourself that you're here to be a bodyguard for one of the most powerful unicorn mages in the world. Tell yourself it's something she actually needs. Tell yourself it's your destiny, tell yourself that it's something you were always meant to do but never got around to because why?

Oh right. Your horn.

If you need any proof of just how weak you are, look at what happened when you were a filly. Playing games and having friends only got you into trouble. And when you were in that cave, with the jaws of death bearing down on you, what did you do? Cried for your daddy. Wept because you felt a little pain. Ran for home and mourned your loss instead of bucking up, going back there and showing that beast who the real monster was.

That's what a warrior would have done: taken a hit and kept on fighting. But you're no warrior. You hide behind that scar on your eye because it terrifies softer ponies. If they're terrified, they won't want to talk to you. Talking to ponies is the most terrifying thing you can think of, isn't it? Talking isn't something you can just punch and kick into submission.

Approach ponies like you've approached every problem throughout your life, and you'll become an outcast, a freak. You can't just go off and hide behind a commander's armor anymore. You have to coexist, you have to live under their soft rules, or you'll never have a place to belong again. Everywhere you go, ponies see the ruthless Commander Tempest Shadow. They remember what happened in Canterlot, or elsewhere along the Storm King's trail of conquest, and they revile you.

It really is too bad you lost your armor. You could have fought that soft queen for it, but of course, we know how you are when it comes to fighting your problems. But that armor, oh, that armor. That's the most important thing you've lost, isn't it? Without a horn, you can still fight. Without a leader, you can still command.

But that armor protects you from more than other combatants, doesn't it? It's a layer of defense against the world. It insulates you, like a baby's blanket. It really is like a blanket, a security blanket, and you're just a baby, throwing a tantrum because you don't have it. You may be taking out your frustrations on the local wildlife and that hand-tailed beast from the temple, but you know the truth. You're scared. You're scared, because you're weak and exposed, and you know you'll never, ever fit in, no matter where you go.

These poofy princesses can't possibly understand. They've had everything handed to them on silver platters their whole lives. They don't have to fight if they don't want to. They never have had to struggle. They can't possibly know what it's like to be under siege, to smell the threat of attack at your door day in and day out. They're powerful, but they don't defend their power. Not like you.

They don't know the sick, toxic pang of desperation. They don't know what it's like to steal the food you need to survive, then fight off all the other starving, desperate mongrels just so you have enough time to eat. They live on ceremony and decree. They've never scrounged. They've never been hungry. They've never fought.

But you know what it's like. Your weakness turned to anger, and your anger turned to strength. You've got the scars and bruises to prove your struggle, to show that you're not a coward, not hiding from the ills of the world in some crystal castle like a pampered pony princess.

The darkness is inside you because you let it in. The darkness is real. The darkness is what separates the survivors from the dead.

"Tempest?"

Stay in the darkness. Stay in the night! The darkness of the real world calls to you, because you belong there! Leave these princesses

"Tempest..."

could burn this whole jungle down with but a thought! They're weak. They're helpless. They're just going to hold

"Tempest!"

the truth! They're the burdens!

Tempest's head snapped up as a magic tingle rippled across her skin. Her vision was slightly obscured by the metal crown resting atop her head. It sat cocked askew by the stump of her horn. She swallowed; her mouth was dry.

"Your Highness?"

Princess Twilight met her gaze, head lowered, horn glowing, and eyes filled with a mixture of worry and steely determination. In the level voice of a ship's captain demanding obedience from his crew, she said, "Give me. The crown."

Even though the magic holding her in place relented, numbness filled Tempest's limbs. She reached up ever so slowly, never taking her eyes from Twilight's and removed the Crown of Sacanas from where it perched on her head. She bit back the tiny voice that told her to hesitate, to question, to wonder just why Twilight needed the crown, and she gave it over.

"Good," said Twilight. The magic surrounding Tempest vanished as Twilight took the Crown from her and rested it between her wings. "Thank you." She placed a hoof against Tempest's shoulder and met her gaze. "Are you all right?"

"I..." Tempest licked at her lips. Her heart pounded in her chest. It seemed as though she had been underwater for an overlong amount of time, only now breaking the surface and remembering what it was like to breathe. "I think so?"

"Why were you keeping the crown, Tempest?" Concern warred with admonishment in Twilight's voice. "We were supposed to be switching off every few hours. It's been three days now. I'm just sorry I didn't realize it sooner."

"I know, I just..." Tempest lowered her head. "After I started hearing the whispers, I didn't want either of you to have to deal with it. I was trying to protect you."

Twilight said nothing.

"That was foolish," Tempest said, her voice low. "I'm sorry, Princess."

Twilight pulled her into a one-legged hug around the neck. Tempest didn't protest.

"It's all right," said Twilight. "Just remember, a burden shared is a burden halved." She gave Tempest a lopsided smile. "Skystar might be a princess, but even she has more strength than you or I might think. We can all handle this, together."

Tempest nodded. Something in the sky caught her eye, and she looked up to see Skystar coming in for a landing.

"You guys!" she shouted. "I think I see Griffonstone over the next rise! I mean, it matches what you told me about how it looks, anyway. We should be able to make it before sundown!"

"That's great news!" Twilight cried. "Well, there's no sense standing around here, let's get a move on!"

Magic surrounded the crown, and it floated over to Skystar.

"Skystar, it's your turn to carry the Crown. I'll relieve you before we get to Griffonstone, okay?"

Saluting, Skystar stuck the crown on the end of one outstretched wing. "You got it, Princess!"

As their journey continued, their next destination so tantalizingly in sight, Tempest nursed her stung pride with the thought that Princess Skystar was now feeling good enough to do reconnaissance.


Griffonstone: the capital of the grand and mighty Griffon Empire. Those glory days were long, long behind it, but right now, it seemed as though it might one day be possible for it to reclaim a shade of its former grandeur. One day very far in the future. After a lot of work. And at least one miracle.

But the ratty nest-houses the griffons lived in weren't exactly falling apart, and the ruined stone buildings were clearly being mended. Though night was swift approaching, they saw signs of work sites all over the settlement, with fresh brickwork and mortar in abundance, even if few walls had actually been fully restored.

Tempest would have had more time to appreciate the low-key but stolid griffon work ethic, were it not for the milk-eyed old vulture berating them at the top of his lungs from his front door.

"I don't care if it's storms a-comin' or a swarm of parasprites! No gold, no rooms, ya understand?"

Twilight shrank back, ears folded. "Please, sir. We've walked all the way from the Dragon Lands and just need to stay the night before setting out again. Can't you find it in the goodness of your heart to give us some shelter?"

The griffon snorted. "I can't find it the goodness of my heart nor the emptiness of my wallet!"

He stopped, sniffed, and his tongue flicked out around the edges of his beak. His eyes fixed on a spot behind Twilight's head.

"Though," he said, drawing the word out, "that there shiny trinket looks like gold. I might be able to find a bit of extra space in the old nest if you're willin' to part with it..."

"No," said Tempest sharply, stepping in between Twilight and the griffon, who shied back from her, wings flaring. "The crown is not for sale, and that is not negotiable."

"Feh." The old griffon made a rude gesture at them. "Ya obviously ain't as hard up fer beds as you claim, then. You lot walked here from the Dragon Lands, so go sleep in the jungle. You're clearly fit for it!"

He slammed the door in their faces.

"Wow," said Skystar after a moment's pause, "I can not believe they're distantly related to us."

Tempest narrowed her eyes and glanced to Twilight. "Now is when you give me a good reason why I shouldn't knock this door down and wring that griffon's scrawny neck, right?"

"Give me a minute," said Twilight, icicle sarcasm dripping from her voice. "I'm trying to think of one."

From inside the house -- the last in a long line of gold-hungry griffons unwilling to help a stranger -- arose a clamor. Tempest put her ear to the door, catching undefined screams, shouts and the occasional sound of something shattering. She retreated as claws marched up to the door. It opened to a large, brown female griffon with purple feathering around her eyes.

"You'll have to excuse Grandpa Gruff," she said in a low, gravelly voice, "he's kind of a jerk. You're Princess Twilight, right? Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie's friend?"

"Oh!" Twilight smiled and held out her hoof. "You must be Gilda! It's nice to finally meet you."

"Yeah, sure, whatever," said Gilda. "Look, griffons are still kind of getting used to helping each other, so we're really not too interested in helping out strangers. But if you need a place to sleep for the night, I can put you up in the old library. Construction's more done there than anywhere else."

Twilight's eyes lit up at the mention of 'library'. "You mean the world-famous ancient Griffonstone Library? We'd be honored!"

Gilda grunted and stepped out, closing the door behind her. "It's the least I can do for you ponies, after what you did for us. C'mon. I'll even make sure there's a tarp or something."


As rain pounded down against the tarp overhead, Twilight triple-checked her warding spells keeping the books around them dry.

"There's so much forgotten knowledge here!" she moaned. "Don't they even care?"

"If today was any indication," said Skystar, yawning, "griffons don't seem to care about much. They're just big meanies. Well, most of them anyway. Gilda was kind of nice. And her friend Greta. Okay, good night!" She plopped down on one of the folded blankets Gilda had found for them amongst the workers' things and fell instantly asleep.

"Agreed," said Tempest, casting a glance to Twilight. "I won't miss this place when we leave tomorrow, no matter how... egh, world-renowned it's supposed to be."

"I wish we could stay and take in the sights." Twilight sighed. "Such as they are. I've always wanted to visit Griffonstone, and now here I am, stuck playing booksitter for just a single night." She sighed again.

Tempest lay down on her blanket. "You should get some sleep, Your Highness. All that magic is going to take a lot out of you."

"I know, I know." Casting one last, longing look at the books, she made for the third blanket. "Besides, if this is how they've been treating their library, I'm probably too late to do anything useful. But I just can't leave defenseless books to rot in the elements!" Her eyes watered, and her lower lip quavered.

Tempest nodded, saying nothing and looking pointedly away from her. For a moment, everything was quiet but for the rain.

"Tempest?"

"Yes, Your Highness?"

"Do you want to talk about what happened today with the Crown?"

Tempest snorted. "What's there to talk about? It was a lapse in judgment that could have left me incapacitated. I won't let it happen again."

"I just can't help but feel something's off." Twilight rubbed her leg. "Are you okay?"

"I am fine."

Even Twilight could tell Tempest knew she'd answered too quickly. Dropping her eyes, she amended, "This journey has been a strain on all of us, even me. I may not be coping in the best way."

Nodding, Twilight gestured at her to continue.

"I feel like I have to protect the both of you. That I cannot slip up once, lest some horrific disaster befall either you or Princess Skystar." She ground her teeth and stamped a hoof. "Since I'm sharing my feelings, Your Highness, if you must know, I feel more vulnerable right now than I've ever been, and I hate it."

Twilight nodded slowly. "You miss your armor, don't you?"

The hitch in Tempest's breath told Twilight she was on to something.

"It means more to you than just protection from attack, right?" Twilight lay on her stomach, watching Tempest.

Tempest's face hardened, but still she said nothing.

Reaching out a hoof to her, Twilight whispered, "I hope you don't think you need protecting from me." Forcing herself to smile, she added, "I mean, it seems like we're just gonna keep saving each other back and forth, over and over again at this rate."

Tempest's gaze dropped to where the Crown of Sacanas lay at her hooves. She would be keeping it safe tonight.

"I may have saved your body twice," she murmured, "but you saved my soul. That is a debt I can never repay."

And, grabbing the crown, she flopped onto her side, facing away from Twilight.

Twilight sat in stunned silence. There was that deep, soulful intensity again, which she could only interpret as another layer of armor. Sure, there was much more to Tempest than she let others see. She'd even opened up a little bit, but... Well, that was that, then.

She contemplated Tempest's answer until she fell asleep.

Eventually, the rain let up. Twilight woke sometime in the night to the sounds of water drips and a pony whimpering and thrashing about. She lit a soft glow with her horn and cast it over Tempest, who was kicking out as though trying to run on her side. Tremors shook her body from nose to tail, and the muscles of her torso were taut, stony cords.

"Tempest?" hissed Twilight. "Tempest!"

Nothing changed. Growing frantic, Twilight tried to come up with a solution. Her mind drifted back to the night they spent underwater. How long had it been since then?

Using her magic, she scooted her blanket over beside Tempest's, lay down next to her and wrapped her legs around Tempest's barrel. There was no way she could stop the kicking: the other mare's strength was overpowering. But Twilight cooed into her ear, shushing her while holding on as tight as she could.

"It's okay," she whispered. "I'm here. You're safe."

Bit by bit, Tempest's thrashing slowed. Soon, she settled back into sleep, heralded only by a last whimper. Twilight let out a long breath and did her best to get comfortable next to the larger mare.

"We'll just keep trading, back and forth," she said, smiling.


In the morning, Gilda and Greta woke them. Gilda brought griffon scones and did little to hide her reluctance at giving them out gratis. Tempest found them palatable and filling, considerably better than the hardtack she'd dealt with on long airship voyages, but the princesses' reactions suggested the griffons had a ways to go before their cuisine would become as renowned as their libraries.

Besides, they had far larger concerns at the moment.

"Where's the crown?"

Tempest remembered little of what had happened that night. Those few dark and strange flashes which came to her explained to her just how someone could have stolen the crown out from between her own legs. She was exhausted by her nightmares, she was confused by waking up with Princess Twilight wrapped around her midsection, and she was thankful Princess Skystar did not open her beak to say anything about it.

She had been right when she'd said this journey was taking its toll on all three of them. As they searched the immediate area of the library and came up with nothing, her heart sank further and further into her stomach.

"This is all my fault," said Twilight at last, sitting down with a huff and contemplating the ancient, moth-eaten carpet. "If I hadn't used so much magic protecting those books last night, I could have protected what was really important." She winced. "Even if saying those words is hurting me physically."

"Do not blame yourself, Your Highness," said Tempest, placing a hoof on her shoulder in what she hoped was an encouraging gesture. "The fault lies with me alone. I should have been more vigilant in the night."

Twilight looked like she was about to protest, but Skystar cut her off.

"Uh, it's neither of your faults, duh?" She passed a concerned look between the two of them. "I mean, it's the fault of whatever big meanie pants stole it, right?"

Tempest had to laugh. From the mouths of babes and so forth. "Quite right, Your Highness."

Skystar slapped a fist into her open palm. "And I know just who the cupola is!"

"Do you mean culprit?" asked Twilight sardonically.

"Yes!" Skystar pointed at her. "That! It was the mean old griffin from yesterday! He was eying it like he was really, really hungry and it was a piece of ripe, juicy fruit!"

They were all startled when Gilda let out a tremendous guffaw. "Oh yeah, that sounds like Grandpa Gruff all right!"

Tempest gave her a searching look. "Are you saying you know he stole it?"

"No," said Gilda, wiping her eye and shaking her head, "but I really wouldn't put it past him."

"This is no laughing matter," said Twilight, standing. "That crown is cursed. If he holds onto it for too long, it will drive him mad!"

Greta shuddered. "What if he tries to sell it?"

"That's just the thing," said Tempest. "Due to the nature of that curse, he won't want to. You can trust me on this."

"So what do we do?" asked Skystar.

"Let's go ask him if he stole it," said Tempest. "Nicely."

Gilda snorted.


"Yah, go boil your heads, you weirdos!"

The door slammed in their faces.

"Coulda told you he'd do that," said Gilda with a sigh.

Skystar dragged her claws down her face. "Gahhh, what now?"

Twilight turned her eyes to Gilda, who held up both claws in front of herself.

"I know what you're thinking, and no way! My generosity's stretched pretty thin right now. I ain't about to let you all go barging into my house." She shivered. "I mean, I won't even go in Gruff's room..."

Twilight let out a frustrated groan and dragged her hooves down her face. "We can't leave until we get it back! This is not how I wanted to spend time in Griffonstone!"

Greta sent a worried look toward Gilda. "It's really that important?"

"We delved an ancient temple full of death traps to find it," said Tempest levelly. "We're not just going to give up and leave it behind after all that work, nevermind the danger the curse poses."

"I think I have an idea." Greta whispered into Gilda's ear. The other griffon made a surprised noise but shrugged and entered her home through the window sitting at its peak. Soon, the house was full of clattering, banging and the shouts of Grandpa Gruff. A few moments later, Gilda emerged through the front door with a load of pots and pans in her arms.

"Here." She tossed a few at Greta, who caught them. "You, too."

Twilight grabbed the last few pans in her magic, then watched, confused, as the two griffons rose into the air and started banging them together. With a short laugh and a bemused look at Tempest, Twilight gamely joined in. In short order, griffon heads emerged from windows and doors the city over. Disgruntled cries filled the air as griffons flew in from every direction, clamoring to know what all the racket was about.

"Everyone shut up and get out here!" screeched Gilda, dropping her pans. "Listen up, 'cause this is important!"

The assembled griffons didn't seem pleased but nevertheless shut up and listened.

Greta pointed to Twilight and Tempest. "These ponies came here with a crown, and it's been stolen."

"We know it was one of you jerks," added Gilda. "And whoever did it is gonna give it back right now, or else."

"Is it this one?" asked a beefy male griffon with grey plumage. He held aloft a cracked and bent iron crown, its gemstone insets long since emptied. "Cuz even if it is, they ain't gettin' it back without a hefty downpayment!" He and his nearby cohorts guffawed loudly.

Twilight waited until their laughter died down, then amplified her voice with a spell.

"Citizens of Griffonstone, my name is Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria. What was taken from us was an important and dangerous artifact called the Crown of Sacanas."

The name seemed to have an effect on the griffons. The crowd's earlier attitude of irritation evaporated, replaced with concern and maybe even a little fear.

"If the thief will step forward, now or in private, and return the crown, we will not seek repercussions." She gave the crowd a sad smile. "Suffice to say, you're not going to want to hold onto it for long."

"The crown possesses dark magic," said Tempest, stepping up next to her. She did not need an amplification spell. "If you stole it hoping to sell it later, that magic will prevent you from wanting to get rid of it. And the longer you have it, the more the magic will eat into your mind."

She cast a piercing glance out over the griffons, none of whom met it. "Trust me when I say, in three days' time if not sooner, we'll know who took it. The only penalty you have to face is losing your mind to the crown's power."

This caused the griffons no small amount of consternation.

"If you want to approach us in private after the crowd has dispersed," said Twilight, "we'll be..." She made a noise of disgust deep in her throat. "I guess in the library. If we're going to be stuck here, we might as well do something useful."

"Eh, go for it," said a lanky brown griffon, part of the grey one's group. "It'll be a load of work off our claws." His fellows nodded their agreement.

And with that, the crowd dispersed. But no amount of waiting produced a confession, not even after the ponies and hippogriff had moved back to the library.

Tempest let out a long breath as Twilight examined the shelves. "Something tells me we're going to be waiting the full three days."

Twilight swallowed. "Let's hope it's not too long, for the sake of whoever stole the crown."


The days in Griffonstone passed slowly.

After her initial disappointment that neither honesty nor self-preservation was motivation enough for the thief to confess, Twilight contented herself with organizing and cleaning the ancient, crumbling library. Tempest helped out the first day, mostly with the heavy lifting involved with ceiling repairs. Between the two of them, the outer shell was at least leakproof by the end of the day, and they both slept well.

The second day saw Tempest and Skystar out in Griffonstone together.

"So I figured, because he was waving that old, broken crown around so much, that big grey griffon had to be the thief!"

The princess babbled like a rushing river as the two of them crouched behind a stack of crates and work equipment, watching said griffon and his gang as they rebuilt a large section of stone wall.

"But two days ago," said Tempest, "you were sure the culprit was Grandpa Gruff."

Skystar smacked her palm with a fist. "I thought so too, but then I was brilliant! I followed this group around all day yesterday, and do you know who I saw them with? Don't ask, I'll tell you. It was Grandpa Gruff!" She gasped. "I know, right? So now I'm totally sure that he's like, the dark, shadowy boss of an underground crime ring here in Griffonstone. He's a criminal mastermind! He has his underlings steal precious artifacts for him so he doesn't get his claws dirty! It all makes sense!"

Tempest thought that it in fact made no sense, and that convincing Skystar of her theory's ludicrousness would not be a good use of her time.

"All right," she said, uncurling herself from where she'd been wedged. "So let's go ask him. That worked so well last time, after all. Hey, you there!"

The griffons stopped their work and turned to regard her. Some looked confused, most surprised, and more than a few, their target included, seemed quite irritated by her interrupting them.

"Oh, it's you," said the big grey one. "This ain't about that crown again, is it?"

"As a matter of fact, it is." Tempest stood at the foot of the wall, gazing up at them placidly. "Specifically, the one you showed off the other day. Where did you get it?"

The griffon snorted and lowered himself from the wall. Up close, he was about the same height as Tempest, though a good bit bulkier owing to his species. He eyed her up and down like a hungry predator, though his attempts at intimidation were sadly misaimed.

"And who're you supposed to be again?"

"Captain Tempest Shadow of the Friendship Guard." After a pause, she added, "Yourself?"

The griffon regarded her with a suspicious squint. "The name's Gungnir. And if you must know, that hunk of junk's been handed down through my family."

"Pretty sure it was passed down from King Guto!" yelled one of the griffons up on the wall. The others laughed.

Gungnir rolled his eyes and lashed his tail. "Yeah, yeah, so what if it is? I just pull it out sometimes for a laugh. It ain't worth much more than that these days."

"Wait!"

Skystar emerged from behind the equipment, and Tempest was intrigued to note Gungnir's reaction. Upon first sight of the princess, his eyes widened with that appraising look males often got around females when they didn't know any better. Then his eyes travelled down the length of her body, and he made no attempt to hide first surprise and then disgust. Skystar, thankfully, had not noticed.

"Does that mean you're from royal blood?" she asked, seeming intensely upset.

Gungnir snorted. "Who cares if I am? Griffons ain't had a king since the Arimaspi stole the Idol of Boreas. No one's got time for stuff like that. Besides, nobody in their right mind would want to rule a dungheap like this place."

He turned his attention back to Tempest and growled. "I didn't steal your dumb crown, okay? And none of my boys did, either. Griffons may be greedy, but we've got pride. And we ain't stupid either. You don't mess with stuff that belonged to Sacanas." He stared directly into your eyes. "That okay by you?"

Tempest held his gaze for a long, unblinking minute. "I suppose it will have to be."

Without another word, he turned and rejoined his work crew.

At least when they got back, it was to find the library fully organized and Twilight very happy.


That happiness was short-lived, however. The night was a restless one as they dreaded what was to come, and the third day dawned to an unspoken but overwhelming tension. Twilight set herself to checking each book and cataloging which were in poor shape, but her heart obviously was not in the task. Just like Tempest, who had resorted to brooding to cover her own helplessness ahead of the unpleasant outcome, she knew there was nothing to be done.

Sure enough, an hour or so before noon, the relative peace of Griffonstone was shattered by an ear-piercing scream. Gilda, who had been watching Twilight work while trying not to seem like she cared too much about the library, immediately sprang into the air.

"Greta?" she shouted, flapping off toward the western edge of town.

Twilight and company exchanged glances before followed her to a small nest house. It was distinguishable from its neighbors only by the small box in its front window, which displayed a few weedy flowers. The screaming had grown continually louder as they approached, and Gilda did not hesitate before breaking through the door.

Greta lay on her side in the middle of her living space, curled into a ball. Her body was wracked with sobbing, and her shaking paused only when a scream tore its way out of her throat. Gilda stopped short, the color draining out of her face.

"W-what's going on?" she croaked, feet rooted to the floor.

Tempest strode froward, eyebrows knitting. "There's only one thing it could be."

It took quite a lot more of Tempest's power than she would have imagined to roll a full-grown griffon hen onto her back against her will, but when she did, the cause of Greta's troubles was plain for all to see.

The Crown of Sacanas was held in a death grip by all four of her limbs.

"Twilight!"

The griffon's grasp was nearly too strong for the combination of Twilight's magic and Tempest's strength, but the two of them were able to wrestle the crown free at last, Gilda holding on to Greta's head and looking fit to weep herself. As the crown sailed over onto Skystar's back for safe keeping, Twilight loosed a sigh of relief and fell back onto her haunches.

"Grett, are you okay?" Gilda asked, her voice shaking. "Please, tell me you're okay."

"Give her some space," said Tempest gently. "She should be fine momentarily."

"I don't get it," Skystar said, looking from the crown to Greta. "Greta was so nice! Why would she steal the crown from us?"

"That's a very good question," said Twilight gravely. She arranged blankets around Greta, which had some calming effect on her.

After a few minutes, she said in a hoarse voice, "I'm sorry."

"Why'd you do it, Grett?" Gilda asked, wrapping her arms around her friend. "You heard them say it was gonna drive you crazy!"

"I thought..." Greta heaved in a great shivering breath. "The last time ponies were here in Griffonstone, things changed for the better. I thought if I could keep them here, even for a little while, maybe things would improve more." She clutched at Gilda and buried her head in her chest. "What would it matter what happened to me, if I could make Griffonstone a better place?"

Twilight exchanged a pitying look with her companions.

"Greta," she said, her voice soothing, "you could have just asked us to stay and help out. It would have been our pleasure to help someone in need, I promise."

Gilda sniffed. "Griffons don't usually help out if you just ask. It takes threats or bribes."

"I'm sorry," Greta said.

"Darnit, Grett, you didn't have to do this. That dumb library isn't worth risking you over."

"I'm sorry," Greta repeated.

Tempest let out a long breath. "And I am sorry this had to happen, but it's over now. We'll take the crown and be on our way. Unless you've any objections, Your Highness?"

"No." Twilight shook her head. "Tempest is right. This crown is too dangerous to leave outside a safe relic vault for any longer than we have to. We need to get home."

She walked up and touched Gilda on the shoulder. The griffon shrugged it off.

"If it's all the same to you," she said lowly, "I won't mind seeing your backs. If you hadn't come here, Greta wouldn't have done what she did. So don't take it personal if I say get out and don't come back. Train station's a half hour flight north."

"Good luck," whispered Twilight, and they filed out the door. Around the little house, a crowd had gathered, onlookers gawking and trying to get a glimpse of what all the clamor had been about.

"Go back to your lives, citizens," said Tempest. She held up the crown. "The situation has been resolved."

The griffons dispersed with some grumbling and speculating. Gilda appeared at the doorway, looking stricken.

"Hey," she said in a low tone, "thanks for helping out, okay? Tell Dash and Pinkie I said hey."

"I will," said Twilight with a smile.


"Well, that was something," said Skystar as they at last left the city walls of Griffonstone. "Something I definitely hope I don't have to live through again."

"You said it," said Tempest.

"I just hope Greta will be all right," said Twilight.

"Mmm." Tempest rolled her tongue in her mouth. "I am no expert, but I expect she will. The crown obviously had a worse effect on her than it did me, but the damage it does is purely in the mind."

"Even still..." Twilight scowled. "When we get back to Equestria, I'm going to do... something, just so the griffons don't have to feel so desperate if they want to make their homeland a better place to live."

"Well," said Skystar with a chipper hop in her step, "at least I learned that not all griffons are meanies."

Twilight smiled at her. "I'm very pleased to hear that, Skystar! You can't judge a whole people by the actions of just a few."

Skystar's eyes sparkled. "I mean, did you see how worried Gilda was?"

Tempest hmmed. "She certainly seemed capable of taking care of her friend until she recovers."

Twilight giggled. "Rainbow Dash told me that after she and Pinkie came here to retrieve the Idol of Boreas, Gilda was able to mend her old friendship with Greta. I guess they'd fallen out of touch while Gilda was in Equestria, since griffons don't value friendship quite as much as ponies do."

"Okay," said Skystar, excitement oozing from her every pore, "so that definitely means they're in love." At Twilight and Tempest's disbelieving looks, she said, "Don't you see? A childhood crush, and then a falling out because of a long separation, only to be reunited by the help of another old friend. A dire, dramatic crisis reignites long-repressed feelings, and now that passion can blossom into the love that dare not speak its name!"

Tempest stared. Twilight, incredulous, said, "Skystar, do you see love everywhere you go?"

"Love is all around us!" crowed Skystar. "It's just such a grand and wonderful thing. I love love! Can you be in love with love? Because if so, I definitely am." She tittered. "Though not as much as I'm in love with Pinkie Pie. I'm so excited that we're close to Equestria. I get to see Pinkie again, and we can share another kiss, and then we'll consummate our love under the--"

"Hang on," said Twilight, bringing them all up short. "Skystar, you kissed her, remember? I'm pretty sure she didn't kiss you back. That's not how love works."

"Pshaw!" Skystar waved a claw. "Our love is timeless and star-struck. And maybe one or two other words I haven't thought up yet. Don't worry, you'll see once we get back. I promise she is super-duper in love with me, the same as I am with her!"

At Twilight's pleading look, Tempest just shrugged. The alicorn sighed.

"Skystar, when we get back, why don't I introduce you to my sister-in-law? She's the Princess of Love, and I'm sure there's a lot you two could talk about."

"There's a princess of love?" Skystar squealed. "We sure could talk about a lot!"

They left the subject there.

The trip took a bit longer than it would have by air, but the vistas of the Hyperborean Mountains made for pleasant sight-seeing. Once they hit the train station, however, Twilight's dreams of neat timetables and a speedy return trip collapsed into a living nightmare of broken windows and rotting doors.

As Twilight ranted about the griffons' clearly backward priorities when it came to empire-rebuilding, Tempest noticed something in the sky. On the road, they had seen nothing larger than the occasional griffon winging their way back to Griffonstone, but this new shape only grew as she watched it.

And it seemed somehow familiar.

"Your Highness..."

"Infrastructure is the backbone of any-- Yes, Tempest?"

Tempest pointed. "Does that look like an airship to you?"

The two princesses turned to gawk as what was indeed a large airship hove into view. Its rigging was set for speed and no cannons were visible, but it did fly a pirate flag.

"Could it be?" wondered Twilight aloud.

"Ahoy, mateys!" came the cry from above, someone obviously using a megaphone. The airship slowed to a stop above them and a long rope ladder unrolled from the side. "Climb aboard!"

Twilight's eyes lit up. "Captain Celaeno!"

Skystar hopped in place. "Oh my gosh, it's her!"

Tempest's ears flattened. "Oh no."

At Twilight's urging, she did indeed climb the ladder, while Skystar flew the Crown up to the deck. Once they were assembled, the parrot harpy pirate crew watching them, the Captain came out to greet them.

"Princess Twilight! Princess Skystar!" cried the Captain as both rushed up to give her hugs. "Oof! You're looking fit! I heard y'might need a ride, so the crew and me came fast as we could."

"How did you know we were here?" asked Twilight.

Celaeno chuckled. "Ran into a pony north of the Griffon Lands, said she knew ya. What was her name, Darkling...?"

"Dangly," offered a pirate.

"No, no," said another, "it were Dirk! Like a dagger. Dirk?"

"Dinkle..."

"Dorky?"

"I think y'all mean Darin' Do," said a mellifluous voice to the side. All heads turned to find an Abyssinian in a long maroon coat and tri-corner hat leaning against the mizzenmast.

"Capper!" exclaimed Skystar and Twilight. He was prepared to catch them both in a hug.

"Hi to you two, too!" he said, laughing. "And before you ask, Cap'n Celaeno here said she'd take me on as crew, give me a tour of the skies and whatnot."

At the look that passed between himself and the captain, Skystar began her "I sense romance in the air" squeal. It stopped as Capper turned his eyes to Tempest.

"The real question is, what's she doin' here?"

All eyes turned to Tempest. Her attempts to make herself invisible had been unsuccessful.

"I was wonderin' the same thing myself," said Celaeno, stumping over to her. "Commander Tempest Shadow."

"Captain Celaeno."

The two of them stared each other down, eyes narrowed.

"Never thought I'd see you again."

"I could have put off a reunion."

Twilight interposed herself between them. "Celaeno," she said, a note of warning in her voice, "Captain Tempest Shadow is with me. She's part of my royal guard now, and I can vouch for her if need be."

Tempest cleared her throat and broke the stare-down, turning her eyes to the side. "If it helps," she said measuredly, "I could apologize for blowing your ship out of the sky last we met."

Celaeno was silent, tapping the blade of her sword with one claw. At length she said, "You know what? Don't worry about it. You did what you had to, I did what I had to, ain't nothin' to apologize for. The crew's hearty and hale, and we've got a ship to carry us through the skies." She thrust out a hand. "I can forgive and forget."

Tempest gingerly extended her hoof. The crew cheered as Tempest and Celaeno shook. Tempest noted Capper watching her warily. That was fine; she hardly expected forgiveness, but she'd take what she could get.

"Besides," said the Captain, relaxing her posture, "that glowin' mark on yer butt tells me everythin' I need to know. It's a pleasure t'see anything besides the Storm King's logo there!"

"Wait." Tempest looked back at herself. Indeed, her cutie mark was glowing, rippling with light and letting off a soft ringing noise. "Is it supposed to be doing that?"

She turned her gaze to Twilight, only to see that the princess's mark was doing the same thing.

"Are you kidding me?" Twilight screeched. She looked from her own flank to Tempest's in rapid succession. "Now? Here? How is this even possible?"

"What's going on?" asked Skystar, looking as confused as Tempest felt. "Is it broken or something? I actually have no idea what that is, now that I think about it."

"No time to explain." Twilight threw herself at Celaeno. "Captain! We have to get back to Equestria, now! Full sails or whatever nautical terms are appropriate!"

Celaeno, who had been staring slack-jawed, shook herself. "You heard the Princess!" she roared. "All claws on deck! Full sails an' runnin' speed!" She drew her sword, pointing it aloft, and the crew, Capper included, hopped to, readying the ship for fast travel.

"We make for Equestria or bust!"

Author's Note:

So I guess Tempest Shadow is just a repository for all my self-loathing now.

Thanks to PhycoKrusk and RainbowDoubleDash for giving me a good idea to make this chapter more exciting than it otherwise would have been. It nearly doubled in size. Hopefully it was worth the wait!