• Published 16th Jan 2018
  • 12,311 Views, 745 Comments

The Princess's Captain - PresentPerfect



Tempest Shadow has come to Ponyville to serve her sentence, or start her new life, depending on who you talk to. She's about to get far more in the way of life changes than she ever imagined.

  • ...
51
 745
 12,311

A Princess's Trials - Epilogue

A Princess's Trials
by Present Perfect

Epilogue

Tempest let out a sigh of relief as her body lurched, the train beneath her chugging its way out of the station. Part of her had feared they would never leave Canterlot, but now here they were, on their way back to Ponyville. The company was sound, all was well, and she had to admit the new armor was not only comfortable but comforting.

And, sure, maybe it was a little stylish too. Silver, as it turned out, looked quite good on her, especially with that blazon of her cutie mark on the flanks.

"Come sit down, Tempest," Twilight said, giggling as she patted the seat next to her.

Tempest nodded, joining her princess, and appreciating how well the armor held up to being sat on.

Their car was empty save for the two of them. Twilight had wanted to ride with all of her friends, of course, but the others had ushered Pinkie Pie out shortly before their departure, at Pinkie's own behest. The mare had been positively vibrating, trying to keep some sort of secret to herself, and asked the others to not only escort her from the train, but to also keep an eye on her, lest she spill the beans.

Tempest could only wonder what lay in store for them in Ponyville.

"Well, it's all over now, Your Highness."

"Yeah." Twilight shook her head. "What a crazy couple of weeks this has been."

"Mm." Tempest gazed across the car, watching the spires of Canterlot disappear as they moved into the first dark tunnel. "I want to apologize."

"What? What for?"

"If my behavior during our... adventure was in any way untoward. I fear I may have been overbearing, toward both you and Princess Skystar."

"Tempest." The chiding came with a soft hoof against her arm. "Everything you did, you did to keep us safe. And you did a magnificent job! I couldn't have asked for a better guide for that whole trip."

Tempest was thankful the momentary darkness hid the warmth rising to her cheeks. "Thank you, Your Highness. That is relieving to hear. Though..." She swallowed. "I must admit a certain amount of... trepidation as we venture back into civilization and familiar climes."

The tunnel ended, and Tempest didn't miss the knowing look that passed over Twilight's features. "Oh? Afraid you're not going to be able to deal with pony problems as easily as wilderness problems?"

Tempest's ears went flat, and her eyes widened. "How did you...?"

Giggling, Twilight said, "I'm starting to figure you out, Captain. What you're going through is normal for a pony unused to friendship. But think about it.

"Every time we met somepony who knew you and knew what you had done in the past, you ended up winning them over with your actions. You've proven time and time again that you're changing, you're becoming a better pony." She smiled. "And remember, you can always trust in me and my friends to help you out when you're feeling out of your depth."

Tempest was quiet for a while, staring down at her hooves. Maybe she hadn't proven herself to the pirates, but even Captain Celaeno had been willing to bury the hatchet without much prompting. They all trusted Twilight to trust her in turn. Maybe she should start trusting herself more.

She drew in a long breath. "Friendship." She let it out. "Is that why you're not seeking any kind of retribution against Queen Novo? After all we've been through..."

"Of course," said Twilight in a tone that brooked no argument. "She was trying to do what she thought was best for her people, just like I was trying to do what I thought was best for Equestria. We were both wrong, so there's no need to cast remonstrations."

She sighed. "I talked to her a little bit the other day, here in Canterlot. It sounded like things weren't going very well for her, just in general." She shifted slightly in what might have been a shrug. "Maybe she's having just as much trouble readjusting to life on land as the rest of her people. Or maybe it's more like the trouble Dragon Lord Ember has having. Running the Dragolympics does sort of bring herding cats to mind, doesn't it?"

Tempest let out a snort, enough to cover the laugh she had almost loosed, if not the smile. Twilight's eyes twinkled for a moment, before she looked away.

"Admittedly, that all does make me kind of glad I don't have a kingdom of my own to run yet." She scraped her hoof along the windowsill beside her. "I can't imagine what it's like, having responsibility over that many people, trying to make edicts and decrees that will improve their lives while balancing the needs of the nation..."

She lapsed into a silence Tempest didn't feel the need to break. When Twilight next spoke, it was with a shake of her head.

"Well anyway, if we hadn't gone on that adventure, we wouldn't have stopped Ahuizotl and found the Crown." She gave Tempest a conspiratorial smile. "Unless you have any lingering regrets, I'd say it was a solid learning experience."

"No regrets, Princess," said Tempest softly. "I suppose it was quite lucky we were able to be in the right place at the right time, if what that beast said about his plans was true."

"I keep telling you, Tempest, it's destiny." Twilight smiled up at her, and Tempest saw pride and respect radiating from her in equal measure. "And I feel like it was destiny that we went on that adventure together. You were the right mare for the job. I may have missed my other friends, but I wouldn't have wanted anyone else alongside me."

The smile wobbled, withering as she swallowed hard. "Which is why I'd like to apologize now."

"What for?" asked Tempest, taken aback.

"I should have trusted you more during our friendship quest. I knew you'd never done one before, and I'd been so sure my plan would work..." She sighed. "But you saved the day. I'm sorry I didn't have more faith in you."

Tempest snorted. "For what it's worth, Princess, I didn't have much faith in myself. Nor was I particularly taking the whole thing seriously."

She hummed. "We did end up making a difference in those ponies' lives though, didn't we?"

Twilight nodded.

"Even if they were the most annoying ponies in Equestria."

Twilight let out a sound halfway between a snort and a guffaw. "Tempest!"

"Sorry." Tempest regarded her with mischievous smile. "I'm not exactly a friendship problem-solving master yet."

Twilight countered with a smile of her own, that same soft, knowing one. "But you did say 'yet'."

"Uhm..." Tempest nodded. "Well, apology accepted, Your Highness."

"You've got nothing to worry about, Tempest." Twilight grinned and touched her shoulder lightly. "You're already thinking like a true Guardian of Friendship."


It was near midnight when they stepped off the train. It was so late, in fact, that the conductor bid them good night and went to find a berth in the train station ahead of resuming his rounds in the morning.

"Is that some kind of net?" Twilight wondered aloud, eyes pointing skyward. Indeed, something thin and amorphous seemed to be superimposed darkly against the night.

"I can't wait!" shouted Pinkie Pie, racing ahead of them. "Is everypony ready?"

Tempest was about to inquire who she was speaking to when a brief flash of light illuminated a mob of ponies in front of them. It took only that flash for her to interpose herself in front of Princess Twilight, head lowered and legs spread.

The light was followed by another, and another, until all at once, dozens of fireworks, candles and other light sources had banished the darkness from Ponyville town square and illuminated the hundred smiling ponies waiting there. Tempest scoffed and shook her head, relaxing her defensive stance.

"It figures."

"WELCOME HOME!" shouted the crowd.

"Sorry we weren't quicker," said a lone stallion somewhere off to the right. "We kind of fell asleep while we were waiting."

"That's okay!" said Pinkie, giving him a hug. "'Cause now you've all got all the energy you need to party all night long!"

The crowd cheered. Tempest gave Twilight a questioning look, which the princess returned with a bemused one. Pinkie appeared in front of them, bouncing on her tail.

"Were you surprised, huh? Were ya? 'Cause my Pinkie Sense told me we were gonna be needing a huge party, so I decked the town out in my super-duper bestest decorations, and then the Cutie Map told us you were in Canterlot, and I said to everypony, just wait here for us! Then we got on the train, and I guess that was a few days ago, wasn't it?"

"We took shifts!" shouted a mare. She waved a sparkler around and high-hoofed another pony nearby.

Pinkie nodded enthusiastically. "I knew I could count on you all! And now we can throw Tempest her super-dee-duper biggest party ever, because there's a whole bunch of parties I needed to throw right the hecksies now, so I rolled them all into one ginormundous one! Come on, everypony's waiting to say hi!"

She bounced off, and Twilight's other friends followed. Tempest hung back, and Twilight noticed after a few paces, stopping to turn and look back at her.

"Does she do that often?" Tempest asked, concerned.

"Occasionally." Twilight gave her a huge smile. "There's no time like the present to start getting used to it. Welcome home, Captain Tempest."

Author's Note:

And now that I've dealt with (almost) everything from the movie, the introduction is over and the story can truly begin! This adventure has set a number of things in motion, so expect to see references to it for quite some time. Hope you like slice of life, because these dangerous, world-spanning adventures will be taking a break for a while! And if you found parts of this arc unsatisfying, don't worry, because we're done with them. :)