• Published 16th Jan 2018
  • 12,315 Views, 745 Comments

The Princess's Captain - PresentPerfect



Tempest Shadow has come to Ponyville to serve her sentence, or start her new life, depending on who you talk to. She's about to get far more in the way of life changes than she ever imagined.

  • ...
51
 745
 12,315

The Princess's Captain - Part 2

The Princess's Captain
by Present Perfect

Part 2

"Uh," said Twilight. "Uh."

"If I may, Your Highness," said Tempest, not lifting her head, "it is obvious to me that you need someone by your side who can help you grow into the ruler you are meant to be. I do not presume that I am the best person for the job, but if you will have my life, I will use every moment of it to assist you in being the best princess you can be."

"Uh," said Twilight again. "Wow. Okay, intense much?" She cleared her throat. "Er, uh, rise?"

Tempest remained kneeling. "Your Highness, I insist."

Frowning, Twilight stood and stepped forward. Tempest scuttled backward, keeping her head bowed.

"Tempest, I appreciate that you want to help out. I'm glad you want to earn my loyalty and trust. But please understand when I tell you I am not interested in... in owning your life! That's too... it's--"

"It is befitting that a princess should keep a vassal." Tempest's voice never wavered. "Again, I say I may not be the best person for the job, but if you will forgive my impertinence, I believe I can provide what you will require to fully accede to your position as princess."

Only then did she lift her head. Twilight took a step back, gasping at the shine in Tempest's eyes. Twilight had never in her life seen such profound determination in another pony's eyes before.

"Your Highness, I am begging you."

Twilight swallowed. "Nopony has ever wanted to pledge their loyalty... their life... to me before." Her face screwed up, as though she had eaten something unpleasant. "It's... It's just not done! I'd much rather have you as a friend."

She held up a hoof as Tempest opened her mouth.

"Tempest, please." Twilight's eyes fell to the side. "This is obviously very important to you, but... Could you maybe help me understand why?" After a moment, she added, "And please stand up?"

Tempest sat back. She did not meet Twilight's gaze as she spoke.

"All my life, Your Highness, I have been alone." She closed her eyes. "And the years when I was not, the recent years I spent serving the Storm King, I was his right hoof. I never questioned what he did until it seemed he wasn't going to uphold our agreement, because I had faith in him, and because I had never felt needed before in my life."

When Tempest opened her eyes, they shone so intense that Twilight took a step back.

"I cannot conceive of doing anything more with myself," Tempest said, her voice stretched thin across a strength born from utmost conviction. "I want to serve, Princess, because it is what I am meant to do. And... would it not be better if I employed my skills to serve someone who will use them to make the world a better place?"

Twilight let out a breath. "You make a good point." She swallowed. "This is just... really sudden. I've never considered taking on a..." Her voice quailed. "Servant?"

"What about your dragon?"

"Spike's not a servant!" Twilight's answer was immediate. "I mean, he does a lot of chores and helps me out around the castle, yes. He's always done that. But he's a friend. Really, he's like a little brother to me. If he wanted to... to leave, and set off on his own, he would have every right to. For all that I'd be sad to see him go."

"The pink one, then?"

"Starlight? She's my student, not my servant." Twilight frowned. "That's entirely different. At least, I hope it is."

There was a long silence. Twilight held her head in her hooves, and Tempest looked on, dispassionate. It was she who broke the quiet at last, gently clearing her throat.

"Give me time," Twilight said slowly. "Just... give me some time to think about your request. Would that be all right?"

Tempest nodded. "Yes. But do not put this decision off forever, Twilight Sparkle. I can see in your hesitance something more than just momentary indecision."

Twilight made a face. Tempest stood and made for the door.

"Wait!" said Twilight, and Tempest stopped, turning to look back at her.

"If there's one thing this has made clear to me, it's that if I really do want to be friends with you, I'm doing a poor job of it." She laughed weakly. "Come on, let's get out of the castle. I'm sure all this research isn't your thing. I can show you around town, maybe we'll get something to eat, and maybe we can even find something else you'd be interested in trying!" Her laugh became a little giddy. "Everypony needs to have a hobby, after all!"

Tempest, for a moment, looked as though she would decline the offer. Then she sagged, ever so slightly, nodded, and joined Twilight without another word.

They did not find Tempest a hobby.


The next day found the two of them in the castle map room, along with Twilight's friends, student, and friend-slash-not-servant-slash-little-brother. A night of research had left Twilight Sparkle half-crazed, both from the elation of having found something definitive and the exhaustion from lack of sleep.

"I called you all here to discuss a few things I've discovered that should prove to be really exciting!" Twilight clopped her hooves and tittered, rocking slightly back and forth. "But first, Tempest Shadow is going to fill you all in on what we've been up to!"

Tempest stepped forward beside Twilight's throne. She nearly stepped right back through the door she had come in as eight pairs of eyes turned to her.

With one exception, these were the ponies who had stopped the Storm King's assault on Canterlot when all had seemed lost for Equestria. At the time, they had seemed just normal ponies, unexpected underdogs who rose to the challenge presented before them and overcame impossible odds to see their plan through by the barest of margins.

But this vaulted room, with its tree-root chandelier, sparkling crystal walls and magical map table, transformed them somehow. No doubt it was the six crystal thrones, each emblazoned with its occupant's mark. The images radiated power, becoming ancient symbols of great meaning instead of just indicators of the individual's personalities. The thrones elevated them, literally, and gave each an aura of importance that normally would have been reserved solely for the Princess herself.

Tempest was very aware how recently they had been enemies.

Twilight tittered. "Wheeenever you're ready, Tempest!"

Eyes wide, Tempest cleared her throat and began.

"The Relics of Sacanas. You may remember the Storm King possessed the Staff of Sacanas--"

"We remember, all right," said Applejack sardonically.

"Yes." Tempest cleared her throat again and shifted on her hooves. "The Storm King had the Staff, but there are four other relics, of which the Storm King also had a second, the Orb."

Twilight projected a beam of magic onto the map, illustrating the objects in question as Tempest continued to speak.

"The Relics of Sacanas -- the Staff, the Orb, the Sword, the Crown and the Amulet -- are powerful objects created by an ancient satyr wizard. Sacanas himself was known for being brilliant, power-hungry... and mad."

The image changed to show a figure that looked something like the Storm King, but clad in a flowing robe and a towering twin-peaked hat. In a fit of authorial fiat, his face was rendered in a crazed snarl, and his eyes filled by little swirls.

"Why Sacanas created the Relics is anyone's guess, but after he died, they became much sought-after treasures. Anyone who knows about them and seeks to gain power will be drawn to them, as the Storm King was."

She nodded, and the image changed to show the five Relics, or at least impressions of what she and Twilight thought they might look like.

"Of the five, the Staff is arguably the most powerful, and the Amulet the most corruptive, but the Orb is the most important, for it can be used to find the location of the other four. Currently, the Orb is in Canterlot, under lock and key, along with the Staff."

"If one is into artifactual histories, this is fascinating, I'm sure," said Rarity. "But would it be too forward to ask for the point?"

"We're going to find the Amulet of Sacanas!" said Twilight, excited.

Her friends nodded. Tempest, however, was taken aback, and turned to Twilight sharply.

"You are what?"

Twilight grinned, and an image of the Amulet of Sacanas appeared hovering over the map.

"As it turns out," she said, "the Amulet is thought to be somewhere in the Everfree Forest." The image relocated itself over said forest. "I asked Princess Celestia if she would send me the Orb so we could find it easier."

"But--"

"That makes sense," said Applejack amiably. "If'n what Tempest said is right, and these here Relics attract power-hungry types, gettin' 'em all together oughta help keep them sorts from gettin' their grubby hooves on 'em first!"

Tempest swallowed. "But the Amulet is--"

"Hey!" shouted Rainbow Dash, glaring at Tempest. "Is that why the Storm King came to Equestria? 'Cause he wanted this Amulet thing?"

"I-I..." Tempest shook her head. "Yes. I mean, the Storm King's usual plan of attack was to invade a nation, sack its capital, shake the government leaders down for the location of anything important and set up a tribute system before leaving. But once the Orb gave him the Amulet's location, he came to Equestria seeking it. He could have gone directly to the forest, but instead he attacked Canterlot to make a statement." She scoffed. "He always was more interested in shows of power than efficiency."

Rainbow narrowed her eyes. "Sounds like you really miss him. Any reason you don't want us going after the Relics, Tempest?"

"Prudence!" Tempest said, stepping back from the table. "With the Orb locked up, the Relics will be that much harder to find for those who seek them. And many a would-be warlord has fallen to the Amulet's influence. It is said Sacanas placed a piece of his own soul within it. Did you not hear when I said it corrupted the weak-minded?"

Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Starlight and Pinkie Pie all began to laugh.

"I do not quite see what is so funny about this," said Rarity with a huff. Tempest looked to her for sympathy, but found no such thing.

"Did you..." Starlight snorted and wiped at her eye. "Did you just call Twilight weak-minded?"

"No, no." Rainbow took a deep breath. "I was thinking this was some kind of evil ploy, but I get it now. Tempest just has no idea who she's dealing with!"

"I know, right?" cried Pinkie. "It's too funny!"

Heat rose in Tempest's cheeks. All her former confidence had completely evaporated.

"I-I just meant that a journey to uncover the Relics of Sacanas should not be undertaken lightly."

Rainbow and Pinkie Pie looked at each other for a moment, then burst out laughing again.

"Sugarcube," said Applejack, leaning over and placing a hoof on Tempest's shoulder, "Rainbow's right. This ain't somethin' we're takin' lightly, on account of we're the ponies for the job."

Rarity gave a prim guffaw. "I suppose I can see how a pony who's just met us wouldn't know we've been through Tartarus and high water these few years. But yes, Tempest dear, you're speaking with the ponies who defeated Nightmare Moon."

"And stopped Discord and his mind control magic," said Applejack.

Fluttershy quickly added, "And then reformed him!"

"And we saved the Crystal Empire from the evil King Sombra," added Spike, sounding smug.

Pinkie Pie gasped. "Oh my gosh, I need to throw you a party! I'll need streamers, and balloons--"

"Not to mention from a thousand years of ice and snow after the Crystal Heart was shattered," said Starlight.

"And we stopped Trixie when she was using the Alicorn Amulet," finished Rainbow, leaning over the table. "So even if we hadn't done all that, we still know what we're doing when it comes to corrupty amulets. Don't. Count us. Out." She punctuated the words by slamming her hoof on the table.

Tempest looked to Twilight, who shrugged and said, "I don't like bragging, but AJ's right. All things considered, we are the ponies for the job."

"It's pretty awesome when you think about all the stuff we've done together, isn't it?" said Spike. The others launched into a clamor of excited cheering and chatter.

"I reckon we are pretty useful to have around Equestria..."

"Oh, but we couldn't have done it without Twilight..."

"I mean, I really don't like to brag, but we have accomplished a lot..."

"And cookies and cupcakes and..."

"Hey, you remember that time..."

The only ones who weren't participating in regaling the others with exclamations of how great their own past feats had been were Pinkie Pie, who hopped out of the room with a list in her mouth, and Tempest herself. Tempest, for her part, tried time and again to get a word in edgewise, to lodge some kind of complaint against this impending course of foolishness. After a few unsuccessful attempts, she backed out of the room with a sigh.

That she and the Storm King had lost to these ponies was no fluke. Had Tempest known back then what kind of opposition they would be facing, she'd have told the Storm King to flee Equestria and never return. These ponies were completely beyond anything she had ever encountered before.

She was entirely out of their league.