• Published 16th Jan 2018
  • 12,312 Views, 745 Comments

The Princess's Captain - PresentPerfect



Tempest Shadow has come to Ponyville to serve her sentence, or start her new life, depending on who you talk to. She's about to get far more in the way of life changes than she ever imagined.

  • ...
51
 745
 12,312

The Princess's Captain - Part 3

The Princess's Captain
by Present Perfect

Part 3

At the sound of something behind her, Tempest paused at the door to her room.

"Tempest! There you are!"

The voice came with a skittering of hooves from the down the hall. Tempest relaxed, turned and saw Starlight Glimmer trotting up behind her, panting slightly.

"I saw you leave and thought... Well, are you all right?"

Tempest considered the mare for a moment. She had just gotten a healthy dose of "you don't know these ponies" in the map room, but Starlight was even more of an enigma. She hadn't been part of the battle in Canterlot, after all. If she was Twilight's student, there was no telling what she might be capable of.

Tempest didn't like not knowing what ponies were capable of.

"I am fine," she said. "I have decided to retire until I am needed for this... sojourn."

She entered her room, but as she closed the door, Starlight put a hoof on it.

"Well, if you don't mind some company, we could have that talk I promised you. I think we've got more in common than you might realize."

Tempest regarded her once more. Starlight was older than the others, stout for a unicorn, and bore the hair streak that marked her as a true talent with magic. Her face was bright, smiling, but her mien radiated hesitation and a lack of confidence. The largest part of Tempest told her to decline the offer and shut the door, but a little voice reminded her that she was trying to change.

"How do you mean?"

Starlight smiled. "Let's just say, I was also defeated by Twilight and her friends, once upon a time."

Tempest opened the door.

"I've not had a chance to furnish it yet," she said, "so I'm afraid there is only floor space to sit."

"That's fine." Starlight took a seat on the rug beside the bed. Tempest stood off to the side.

"So," said Starlight, and launched into the story of how she once enslaved a village, then nearly destroyed the world with time magic, and finally was accepted as one of Twilight's friends after she decided to turn over a new leaf.

Tempest listened, rapt, trying simultaneously not to let her jaw hang open and to quash the tiny flame of hope kindling in her chest.

"You were right," she said at length, "we do have a lot in common. And just look at you, student of the Princess of Friendship."

Starlight laughed. "Well, it hasn't been an easy road for me or anything. I mean, I once kind of, sort of, maybe totally mind-controlled all my friends to get my way with something." Her words came out in a rush.

Tempest's jaw finally did drop.

"And you received no punishment?"

"Not exactly." Starlight's face reddened, and she deflated somewhat. "I definitely learned that lesson the hard way, though. Sometimes, when I'm under a lot of pressure, my first reaction is still to brute-force a problem with extreme magic."

She sighed. "It's things like that that make it hard for me to escape my past sometimes." She stood, moved to Tempest, and placed a hoof on her shoulder. "But believe me when I say, Twilight and her friends are good ponies. If you really want to become a good pony as well, to learn about friendship, they are the ponies you want helping you figure it out."

Tempest looked toward the small window at the end of the room. The sky outside was bright and clear, almost carefree in how utterly it ignore what was happening inside the castle.

"Do you think it's possible? Someone like me, finding friendship?"

"Absolutely," said Starlight. "Knowing what I know, I think anything is possible."

A frown tugged at the corners of Tempest's mouth. She glanced down at Starlight. "Say what you will, but... I'm afraid I don't fit in here."

"You haven't even been here a whole twenty-four hours yet." Starlight rolled her eyes. "Twilight and her friends a tight-knit group with strong, sometimes unusual personalities." She chuckled. "Give it time. Give yourself time. You've got a chance to try friendship. You don't have to force it."

Tempest moved to her bed and lay on it. She crossed her forehooves and rested her head on them with a sigh. "What was it like for you, then? Starting out with friendship, I mean."

"Bumpy." Starlight smiled. "I got a lot of things wrong, and I still do. I mean, I don't know everything, but I feel like I understand where you're coming from, which is why I wanted to reach out."

Tempest said nothing for a while.

"If it helps," Starlight continued, "you could always try making your own friends. Outside of this castle, I mean. And, uh, nothing personal, but you probably shouldn't start with me."

Tempest frowned. "Why not? Are commonalities and shared experience not building blocks of friendship?"

"That they are!" Starlight said with a rueful chuckle. "But Twilight kind of threw a fit when I started making friends with Trixie. Something about two former villains teaming up made her nervous. Gee, I wonder why!"

"Who is this Trixie? Her name was mentioned earlier."

Starlight's face lit up. "Oh, she's my best friend! She's a stage magician, she's so clever and talented, I could really go on about her for a while." She laughed. "And, yes, she's had some run-ins with Twilight and her friends in the past. Actually, she's still got kind of a semi-playful rivalry with Twilight even now." She snorted and grinned. "It's kind of adorable. Just one of the things I love about her!"

Starlight paused as redness crept onto her face. Tempest's eyebrow raised slowly.

"Um, anyway." Starlight coughed. "The whole Alicorn Amulet incident, from what I hear, involved some kind of artifact that amplified her magic, drove her insane, and made her take over Ponyville."

Now both of Tempest's eyebrows raised.

"I know, right?" Starlight laughed. "You'll have to get the whole story from her sometime. You'll definitely see her around the castle." She stood and stretched.

"But like I said, see if you can find any other ponies to make friends with. I'm not sure I know anyone around town with interests similar to yours..." She tapped her chin for a moment. "Maybe I should introduce you to Bulk Biceps sometime...

"Well, my point is, you and I can be friends, Tempest. In fact, I think we should." She smiled. "Just, see if you can find somepony else to be your first friend. And whatever you do..."

Her eyes and voice dropped, and she smiled in a private way that made Tempest feel like she was intruding on something intimate.

"Trust Twilight, Tempest. She really has your best interests at heart, even if she doesn't always show it." She brought her head up. "And ask me about Sunset Shimmer sometime."

With that, she left, closing the door gently behind her.


When Twilight knocked on the door to Tempest's room, Tempest was still mulling over Starlight's last words to her.

"Come in."

"Hi, Tempest!" Twilight said as she entered the room. "We made plans for our trip to the Everfree. Just as soon as the Orb arrives here from Canterlot, we can go. And, um... are you all right? I wanted to check."

"I am fine, Twilight." Tempest's words were clipped. "I apologize for doubting you earlier. It is good to know you have a plan."

Twilight took a few steps into the room. "Something is bothering you, though, isn't it?"

Letting out a long breath, Tempest turned away.

"I don't know what I'm doing here," she whispered.

Twilight took a few steps closer to the bed. "I'm sorry my friends laughed at you. I did give them a talking-to once I realized you'd left."

"It isn't that." Tempest shook her head. "Do you remember my earlier request?"

Twilight bit her lip. "Yes, I do."

"I would really like a decision from you sooner than later. Until then, I am not sure we will have much to talk about."

Sighing, Twilight paced to the end of the room, under the window. The air grew thick and heavy.

"I really just want us to be friends," Twilight said softly. "I know it sounds silly, but... All I can do is promise I'll give you space and not force you into friendships with my other friends. That didn't work out so well for Starlight."

"Starlight told me as much herself."

"Oh!" Twilight turned, a smile dawning on her lips. "You talked with her?"

Tempest nodded.

"What about? If you don't mind me asking, that is."

"Friendship." Tempest made a noncommittal gesture. "Her past. We have a lot in common, as it turns out. It was a good talk."

"I see..."

Tempest was compelled to add, "She counselled me to seek friendships outside this castle."

Twilight visibly relaxed. "That's good, I'm glad to hear it! She's really learned a lot." Her smile, light as it was, fell into concern as Tempest stayed quiet. "Tell me what's on your mind, Tempest. Around here, we talk about what's bothering us and let our friends help."

Tempest swallowed. "Today, when we left the castle, did you notice... the other ponies in town?"

Twilight nodded. "Oh sure! There was Berry Punch and Octavia and Golden... Er, that's not what you meant at all, was it?"

"They stared, Twilight. Every last one of them stared at me." Looking away, Tempest closed her eyes. "I am used to be the center of everyone's focus, of commanding attention and respect. But this time, out there in the town, it... I did not like it."

"Right." Twilight sat and rubbed the back of her leg. "Look, there's no easy way to put this, but you stand out. Plus, you're new to Ponyville, and it's a small town where everypony knows everypony. And... I know some of them were there in Canterlot. So it's not impossible there's some fear or even resentment there."

She looked up at Tempest with a smile obviously intended for her sake.

"But it's been barely two days. Give them time. And give yourself time to learn how to fit in around here. I know it can be intimidating, but, well..."

"Intimidating, yes." Tempest snorted. "I am usually the intimidating one. But now the very thought of leaving the castle, going out and walking among normal ponies, it's..." She set her jaw. "Frightening."

Twilight stood, walked to the bed, and placed her hoof on Tempest's. Tempest pulled hers away.

"Are you having second thoughts about friendship?"

Tempest shook her head. "I'm willing to try. Starlight showed me what can come of it. But at the same time..." She sat up, looking Twilight in the eye. "I require a foundation. A place to be something like what I was so that I can start to move forward and become what I will be. I need your assent, Princess."

Twilight backed away. "Again with the 'Princess' business." She sighed, shaking her head. "I wish I could be as enthusiastic about this as you are. I still need time, Tempest. I can promise you that I'm actively considering the... situation. I'm not avoiding it."

She moved for the door. "I'll let you know when the Orb arrives, all right?"

Tempest didn't answer. But as Twilight turned to the door, she asked, "Twilight? Would you say you are strong?"

Twilight paused. "No." Ever so slightly, she turned to show Tempest a lopsided smile. "But when I'm with my friends?

"I'm unstoppable."