• Published 16th Jan 2018
  • 12,311 Views, 745 Comments

The Princess's Captain - PresentPerfect



Tempest Shadow has come to Ponyville to serve her sentence, or start her new life, depending on who you talk to. She's about to get far more in the way of life changes than she ever imagined.

  • ...
51
 745
 12,311

The Princess's Captain - Epilogue

The Princess's Captain
by Present Perfect

Epilogue

"I suppose these Relics are more powerful than any of us truly believed."

Princess Celestia, seated at the head of the great dining table in Friendship Castle, took a long sip from her teacup. With nine other ponies and one dragon, Twilight thought, the table looked quite a bit smaller than usual. Maybe it was a good thing the castle was starting to fill up. It helped take her mind off being recently mind-controlled by an ancient satyr artifact.

"You're gonna take real good care of that there Amulet, right, Princess?" Applejack asked, hooves on the table.

"Of course, Applejack." Celestia inclined her head to the door. "Both the Amulet and the Orb will be placed in high-security storage in Canterlot, along with the Staff of Sacanas. We won't be having a repeat of today's debacle."

Approval murmured around the room. At the far end, Tempest Shadow nursed a waffle, her eyes on the table, as they had been since Celestia's arrival.

Once Celestia addressed her, however, her head snapped up.

"I should thank you as well, Fizzlepop Berrytwist." A small smile graced the Princess's lips. "This is twice you've saved my favorite former pupil. Not to mention, I hear you were instrumental in ensuring the successful retrieval of the Amulet, and that its corruption did not spread to more of my little ponies."

For a moment, Tempest said nothing. Twilight was amazed to realize the stoic former Commander was actually blushing.

"Thank you, Your Highness," she finally said, a slight hitch in her words. "It was my... honor to ensure Twilight's safety."

The pointed look Tempest gave Twilight wasn't even necessary; she knew all too plainly what lay behind that statement.

"Very well, I'm pleased to see you finding a place here in Ponyville, then." Celestia stood, and all other activity at the table stopped. "I should, however, return to Canterlot with these Relics, before anything else goes wrong. Thank you for the tea and waffles, Spike."

He saluted. "No problem, Princess!" He of course neglected to mention the solid hour of frenzied baking that had taken place in the kitchen after word of Celestia's planned visit, and how waffles were literally the only thing he could think to make after he heard.

"Hold on, Princess." Twilight stood, and all those present save Trixie and Tempest did as well. "If you would, I have something I need to say before you go."

She cleared her throat and moved to the other side of the table. Tempest stood as she approached.

"When you first told me you wanted to dedicate your life to me, I was afraid. I don't see myself as a ruler, or even as a leader. I prefer being thought of as a friend, as a normal pony." She sighed. "But recent events have taught me I can't hide from my responsibilities forever."

Twilight stepped closer to Tempest. The two unicorns sized each other up, Twilight's eyes lingering for just an extra moment on Tempest's. Despite being tired, despite the scar which marred the right one, despite the cold steeliness lurking within from a lifetime spent in hardship, they were, Twilight was surprised to note, a beautiful jade green.

"I don't want your life," she said quietly. "I'm not interested in control. I'm not someone like the Storm King, and I hope one day you'll understand that he's not what a leader is supposed to be." Slowly, she tilted her head to the side and smiled. "But I do want a friend. And I would be a very poor friend indeed if I didn't give you the support you need on the road to recovery and redemption."

Stepping back abruptly, Twilight announced in an imperious voice, "Kneel."

Tempest obeyed without hesitation. As the rest of the room hushed, Twilight brushed her wing over the back of Tempest's neck.

"Do you swear to protect my person?"

Tempest's voice rang out, clear and strong, through the room. "I swear."

"Do you swear to protect this castle and its inhabitants?"

"I swear!"

Blood thundered in Twilight's ears as she all but yelled, "Do you swear to protect, with every fiber of your very being, all those who embrace the bonds of friendship? Do you swear to do this, in my name?"

"This I swear, above all else!"

The wing snapped back.

"Then rise, Captain Fizzlepop Berrytwist--"

Pinkie coughed something that sounded like, "YoushouldcallherTempestShadow!"

"Er, Tempest Shadow! Rise, and take your place as First Captain of the Friendship Guard!"

The room exploded in thunderous applause. When Tempest lifted her head, it was with a smile. The others crowded around her, cheering congratulations, as Twilight fell back to Celestia's side.

Tempest's eyes were rimmed in wetness. Twilight would have to keep watch on those eyes in the future. They were full of surprises.

"I think you made an excellent decision," Celestia said quietly.

"That's a relief." Twilight let out a breath. "Uh, I mean, thank you, ha ha, of course!"

She set a placid smile on her face as she gazed across the room to the knot of her friends and her new Captain of the Guard.

Having a Guard. Needing a Captain. How strange. But then, hadn't Twilight's life since she'd gotten her wings been nothing but a string of strange happenstances? Since before that, even? What was one more bit of unexpected complication between friends?

"I really meant what I said, though. She wanted to be a servant. I didn't want that. I couldn't want that. But I think, maybe, a guard is something I could use after all."

Celestia only bowed her head, turned, and left.

Twilight made her way back over to where the initial rush of excitement was petering out.

"Weren't you like, a lieutenant before?" Rainbow Dash said, laughing. "Is this a promotion?"

"Commander, actually." Tempest gave her a soft smile. "The rank is not what's important, I think, but the quality of the command." She nodded to Twilight.

"I'm so excited!" shouted Pinkie, zipping for the door. "Your Welcome to Ponyville party gets to be a Congratulations on Becoming Captain of the Friendship Guard party too! I have so much planning to do, bye!"

Twilight smiled. "Are you feeling up to it, Tempest? This is a big job..."

"Unquestionably, Your Highness." Tempest lifted her head. "I will not take those oaths lightly, that much I can promise you."

"Oh, this is just so exciting!" Rarity pulled out a measuring tape and began stretching it around and across various points on Tempest. "I've been wanting a chance to design armor!" She looked at Twilight. "I mean, you can't honestly expect her to keep wearing that, can you?" She gestured at Tempest's armor and let her tongue loll out the side of her mouth. "I have a contact in the Royal Guard in Canterlot. I'm sure we'll be able to help you out, no problem at all!"

She placed a hoof against the armor's flank pad. It came away with a touch of sticky residue from where the decal of the Storm King's logo had been mere days ago. Why he had used something so temporary, Twilight wasn't sure she wanted to speculate.

"Oh, but you'll have to design an insignia as well," Rarity continued. "Something that screams, 'Friendship Guard!'" She giggled. "I do so love the ring of that, Twilight, well done!"

Twilight nodded, laughing. "It may not have been as spur-of-the-moment an idea as it seemed. As for a logo, well, what do you think, Captain?"

Tempest's cheeks reddened slightly. "I honestly wouldn't know, Your Highness. I'd rather leave such design choices to the, er, designer." She inclined her head to Rarity.

"What about your cutie mark?" said Fluttershy. "Oh, or a combination of yours and Twilight's! Wouldn't that be lovely?"

"I think that's an excellent idea!" Twilight said, clapping. "What do you all think?"

She smiled to Rarity, who nodded enthusiastically and looked to Rainbow and Applejack. They seemed approving, and Fluttershy was likewise excited. They all looked to Tempest.

The room steadily grew more and more silent as nopony said anything. The smiles slackened. Tempest only blinked at Twilight, her expression bemused.

"Forgive me, Your Highness," she said, measuring her words. "My what?"

Author's Note:

Welcome to The Princess's Captain, I hope you enjoy your stay. :) I don't know how often I will update, but I will certainly try to every now and then!

Though I'm writing this without the help of editors, I'd like to thank Pascoite and kits for feedback on the concept; Razor Rain from EQD for Storm King being a satyr; The Chronicler for suggesting Pinkie point out how much their foray is like the pilot; and Nova Quill for feedback.