• Published 26th Jun 2012
  • 1,739 Views, 13 Comments

Her Illustrious Highness - Macon Mixx



Star Swirl, an earth pony among unicorns, struggles to find her place in Celestia's court.

  • ...
1
 13
 1,739

Her Illustrious Highness - Chapter 4

Her Illustrious Highness
By Macon Mixx

Chapter 4

Star Swirl awoke the next morning rested and refreshed. A hard day's work leads to a good night's rest. Swirl had never understood that proverb better than right now. After spending the better part of her day listening to petitioners, she and her friend Purple Streamer had retreated to Streamer's office to review the petitions.

A few were set aside as impractical, at least for the moment. One unicorn's demand that flying should be off-limits for pegasi while in the city particularly made Star Swirl chuckle. Not only would that be a regional law, outside of the court's jurisdiction, but it was just silly to think that pegasi should be banned from using their particular brand of magic just because the dominant race in the city didn't share it. Some ponies could be so short-sighted! What if she demanded instead that he stop using his unicorn magic because she didn't posses any such skill? No, ponies should celebrate their differences, not try to iron them out.

Among the pile of inquiries, several definite themes were repeated. Star Swirl decided she would focus on these in particular when she brought them before the court. Though, there was really no reason to wait until court reconvened to put the suggestions forward. Most of the real politics were done behind the scenes, anyway. Swirl had never been too heavily involved in that part of the court, but she had been involved enough that several of the other courtiers owed her small favors. Perhaps she could trade them in for help in fulfilling these common ponies' requests.

After that revelation, the work had gone quickly, and she and her friend were able to spend an hour or so just talking before the royal earth pony decided it was time to head back to the palace and to bed. With Luna's birthday the very next night, she was going to want to be well rested.

And well rested she now was, and ready to face the day. Getting ready for Luna's birthday celebration was going to take most of the day, but had learned from her mistake the day before, and wasn't going to miss breakfast twice. She headed down to the dining room in hopes of a good meal and maybe of seeing her new friend Cajun.

-----

Swirl wasn't able to see Cajun Dish in the dining room. In fact, she wasn't able to see much of anything. As soon as she walked in, she was greeted by the sight of her amicus, Lady Violet, insulting one of the servants.

"Oatmeal! Are you CRAZY?! Her Illustrious Highness, Lady Violet, comes to the ROYAL DINING ROOM for breakfast and is served OATMEAL?!"

The servant mumbled some apology about how busy everyone was preparing for the celebration that night, but Star Swirl was too far away to hear exactly what was said.

Lady Violet stormed off from the table where she had been sitting with a loud "Hmphf!" Her path took her right by Star Swirl, whom she glared at.

"Perhaps that simply plebeian fare will be to your tastes, Lady Star Swirl, but I cannot let such common food touch my royal tongue!"

Star Swirl would have replied, but Lady Violet had already made her way out of the room before she could answer.

Swirl, still standing, was greeted by the same servant who had just been berated by Lady Violet.

"I suppose you heard all that? Well, if you're still here, does that mean you actually want the oatmeal?"

"Oatmeal would be nice, but I think after all of that, I would rather take it in my room. Would you have it sent to me?"

The servant looked around nervously before speaking. "Well, I could m'lady, but as I just informed Lady Violet, we're awfully busy down here at the moment. Would you be willing to carry it yourself?"

"Of course! I'd be happy to. Anything to help you all make Luna's birthday special."

"Thank you m'lady."

In a moment, the servant was gone and back with a bowl of oatmeal, topped with tiny slices of apples and a dusting of cinnamon. Star Swirl had never seen more delicious-looking oatmeal in her life. Lady Violet really didn't know what she was missing!

-----

The rest of the day went by uneventfully, and Luna's birthday celebration drew near. By evening, the castle was practically buzzing with activity as last-minute details were put into place. Star Swirl, in particular, was extra busy because she was preparing on two fronts. She had to be ready to look great and have a great time at Luna's party, but also be ready to subtly influence the other royals into helping her fulfill the common ponies' requests. Her makeup kit and mane styling accessories were laid out across one side of her bed, while her notes were strewn across the other. Swirl was actually doing quite a good job of applying her makeup, considering the fact that she was studying while she was putting it on!

Star waited to put on the custom-designed dress that Purple Streamer had given her until nearly the last minute. She didn't want to risk ruining it with mane product or makeup! Once she had donned the dress, she reached into her jewelry box for a pair of star-shaped earrings. One had a minor flaw where a tine had been broken and later repaired, but in the low light of the Great Hall, it would be completely unnoticeable. Besides, had it not been for that imperfection, she could never have gotten them from the pawn pony for so few bits. Even with the flaw, they were clearly the nicest jewelry that Star Swirl had, and they were a lovely complement to her cutie mark.

When the ensemble was finally complete, Star Swirl stopped to admire herself in the mirror. She was truly breathless at what she saw. The young, almost flippant appearance that she usually cut in her party story dresses was transformed by her new selle into the image of a refined young mare, alive with the magic of the night. Swirl could hardly wait for the party to begin. This was going to be the best night ever!

-----

A soothing nocturne flowed from the orchestral stand and washed over the Great Hall as Star Swirl entered. She was surprised to see that Luna's birthday was being staged as a much more formal event than the reception from two nights earlier. As she reached the door, the court herald took her name and style and formally announced her as she entered.

"Her Illustrious Highness, Star Swirl!"

A few heads turned, but not altogether too many. However, those few who had happened to notice her stood transfixed as Star Swirl walked towards the center of the room.

The normally red and gold carpet of the Great Hall had been replaced with one of blue and silver in honor of Her Majesty, Princess Luna. The celebration had been begun half an hour after sunset to afford the best possible view of Luna's moon out the east windows. The pillars supporting the roof, normally left bare, had been hung with tapestries mapping the stars through the seasons. Everything possible had been done to make the evening perfect for the guest of honor.

A hush fell over the room as two black unicorns in golden armor stepped through the doors to the Great Hall and played the royal fanfare on their trumpets.

The herald cried, "Their Royal Majesties, Princesses Celestia and Luna of Equestria!"

Every pony bowed as the two alicorns entered the hall. Common ponies, royal ponies, and members of all other races who happened to be present payed homage to the deified rulers of the night and day. The silence was broken by the strong, melodious voice of Her Majesty, Princess Celestia.

"My little ponies, I know that many of you think it an honor to have been invited to this celebration. Allow me to say that the honor is mine. I am honored that you have consented to be ruled by my hoof. I am honored that you have seen fit to be guided by my horn. I am honored that you choose to take shelter beneath my wings. Nopony can be happier than the mare whose foal returns her love. You are my foals. You are my little ponies. I have loved you, with a deep and lasting love, from generation to generation and from age to age. Though centuries have come and gone, you continue to return the love I have shown you as well as the love that I showed to your foremares and foresires. Truly, love is not lost when it is shared. When one gives one's love to her friend, she can always know where to find it."

At this, many fervent murmurs ran through the crowd. Generally, Celestia discouraged ponies from actually worshipping her, but at the moments when she allowed her deity to shine through, they often had a hard time resisting.

Celestia continued, "Tonight, I ask you to take this lesson and apply it. I ask you to share your love with another pony, one whom you have not known except as a shadow, that she may in turn share her love with you. The bonds of friendship thus formed will drown all lingering doubt and fear. Animosity will vanish. Memories of anger and pain will be no more. Instead, my joy and my peace will flow through you. My little ponies, will you accept Luna's friendship?"

The response was subtle at first. A few ponies brayed their affirmation, while several others whinnied in approval. When a small group started clopping their feet to the marble floor in applause of Celestia's speech and acceptance of Luna's friendship, more and more joined in until the entire room shook with hoof beats. Celestia thanked her adoring children for their praise, and wished them a wonderful evening before she and Luna were seated on their daises.

As the servants appeared from every quarter to begin serving the banquet prepared in Luna's honor, Celestia felt a strange presence in her mind, like a whisp of a dream that lies just outside of one's memory. Suddenly, the whisp began to speak. It shared Luna's voice.

"Did you really need to use that much of your divinity to make them like me? Surely I'm not that unpleasant to be around," the whisp joked.

Celestia smiled. Though she hadn't felt it in over a thousand years, she still recognized the magic. She and Luna had developed it eons ago, when they had yet to discover the full extent of their strength. It had allowed them to communicate telepathically at a time when they had been threatened by ancient beasts even more powerful than themselves. She used her magic to reply to her sister in kind.

"You thought I was doing that for you? No, I just love to be worshiped. Did you know that the ponies in Hoofington recently built me a temple? Fillydelphia is always trying to keep up with the Joneses. I imagine it wouldn't take much in the way of suggestion to get them to build a temple for you, too! Of course, it couldn't possibly be as beautiful as mine, but it's the thought that counts."

Celestia nickered when she saw the grimace that crossed Luna's face as the message arrived in her mind. Celestia was truly indifferent to her subjects' worship as long as they didn't hurt themselves or their families in the process, but Luna found the whole idea absolutely abhorrent. Still, even Luna had to chuckle at Celestia's gentle jab in comparing temples. Forgoing their telepathic connection, Luna leaned over and reached up, putting her muzzle right next to Celestia's ear.

"I've missed you big sister."

Celestia looked lovingly down at Luna.

"I've missed you, too."

-----

Star Swirl was rounding the Great Hall, attempting to make conversation with her traditional allies in court, those royal ponies who owed her favors, and those whom she had spoken with during her moment in the spotlight during the reception two nights ago. Her trouble wasn't so much in convincing ponies that the ideas shared with her by her petitioners the previous day were good ideas, her trouble was getting anypony to talk to her at all.

"Lady Blue Belle! How pleasant to see you this evening!"

"Oh, Lady Star Swirl! It's... uh... pleasant to see you, too! Oh, my. I seem to be needed on the other side of the hall. Well, take care!"

"Lord Amaranth, how are you this evening?"

"Um, well, quite poorly, actually. Yes, quite bad. Um... It's these... chest pains, you see. Yes! Chest pains! I really ought to leave right now to go see a physician! Do have a good night!"

And so it went for the next half hour, until Star Swirl had exhausted all of her possible resources. She had spoken to everypony she could hope to receive favor from, except for one.

The patron-client relationship was an ancient tradition in the court of the Regent of the Sun. Members of powerful families would take on members of weaker families as clientes, becoming in turn their patronus. The client pledged their support in court to the patron, and in return, the patron looked out for the interests of each client. Barring a major upset in the power structure of the court, the relationship was usually hereditary, with each royal becoming the client of the foal of their mother's patron. In that way, Star Swirl, although not an important noble in her own right, had inherited a position of clientela with the most powerful patron in Celestia's court: His Royal Highness the Prince Minor, Prince Blueblood.

The patron-client relationship was rarely invoked explicitly by either party. Rather, it was assumed that each would work silently towards the other's interests and no words needed to be exchanged. However, on the very rare occasion that a client were to directly ask their patron for a favor, the patron was honor-bound to comply. If they failed one client, it would then be known to their other clients that they were unreliable and the power of alliances cultivated over generations could crumble in a day.

Star Swirl had never in her time in court invoked her relationship with the prince. She hoped that, since she asked for nothing more than that somepony would hear her out, he would have no reason to decline her request. She walked over to the prince and worked up the courage to start the conversation.

"M'lord Blueblood, might I speak with you a moment?" Star Swirl curtsied to the prince minor. It had been quite some time since she had attempted such a delicate curtsy, and she hoped that it looked less awkward than it felt.

Blueblood's eyes became wide as he looked at his cliens. Perhaps she did need more work on that curtsy after all.

"Lady Ss..s..sstar Swirl..." Blueblood stuttered. "What a surprise to see you here... tonight."

Blueblood continued eyeing her suspiciously.

"At Luna's birthday celebration? I wouldn't have missed it for the world!" Swirl exclaimed.

After considering her patron for a moment, she added, "You look quite uncomfortable. Would you like to step outside?"

Blueblood's expression changed from one of suspicion to one of disgust and horror. He replied more than loudly enough for all of the surrounding unicorns to hear him.

"Step outside? With YOU? What sort of a proposition is this?!"

"Oh, of course! You want to know the gist of what I'm proposing before we talk about it in more detail! That's just fine! Well, I was walking through the streets of Canterlot yesterday..."

"Walking? Through the streets?!"

"...and I met all of these common ponies from outside the palace, who just wanted someone from the inside to listen to them..."

"You met common ponies? You listened to them?!"

"...and they had some really great ideas! They told me about their families and their businesses and their lives, how they get jobs and earn their own way, what they enjoy doing when they're not at work, how they raise their foals, and how we can make it all better! Why..."

"ENOUGH! I have heard ENOUGH FROM YOU! If you deign to get your hooves filthy walking through the streets, and decide to waste your life talking with the common rabble, that is quite your own decision. But I will not let you tell me how to rule Equestria based on the input of a herd of uneducated, unsophisticated HOOLIGANS!"

Star Swirl stared, frozen in place by the shock of what had just happened.

"But... but you're my patronus. You're my guardian alicorn! You can't turn me down in a specific request. It would damage your honor!"

"No, no, this will not damage my honor. Your conduct is no longer a reflection on me. Star Swirl, I regret that I have to say this, but your foalish behavior leaves me no choice. You are no longer my client, and I am no longer your patron!"

Just then, through her anger, pain, and confusion, Star Swirl heard a familiar nicker behind her. Lady Violet and two of her followers, Lady Crimson and Lady Evergreen were enjoying the show.

"Finding it harder than normal to make friends today, Lady Star Swirl?" Lady Violet questioned.

"Yeah! And what's with the potato sack you have tied over your flank?" mocked Lady Crimson. She and Lady Evergreen laughed riotously, while Lady Violet maintained her composure.

"Yeah!" added Evergreen through her laughter. "You should leave everything out there. Your flank really is your best feature! If you want to move forward in life, you have to use what your mare gave you!"

Star Swirl was astonished at the trio's remarks. She knew that Lady Violet was not above even the basest of insults, but this represented a new low for her followers.

"Lady Violet! I must insist that you and your friends addressed me in a manner suitable for one lady to speak to another!"

Lady Violet just grinned. "So you think that you're a lady again that easily? We heard what you just proposed to our beloved Prince Blueblood! Offering to 'take' him outside? Hmm?" Violet was twisting Star Swirl's words. Both ponies knew it, but few others seemed to care. Once again, those around were all enjoying the show. "Not everyone is as willing to 'mix the race' as you are, Lady Swirl."

Suddenly, Swirl realized why ponies had been avoiding her all evening.

"What did you say about me in court yesterday!"

"About you, dear? Not a thing! Now, when we were debating Lord Blowhard's proposal, the one on mixed marriages, it might have been mentioned that a certain earth pony courtier was seen leaving the Great Hall the night before with an unknown pegasus."

Lady Evergreen spoke up, "And it might have happened that someone noticed that this certain courtier wasn't in court the next morning."

Lady Crimson took her turn, "And it just could be that several of the more... upstanding individuals in the court found the suggestion of what those two had been doing more than a little repulsive."

"In short," said Lady Violet, "it was a wonderful illustration. Lord Blowhard's bill was shot down, the provinces will remain free to ban mixed marriage as they see fit, and everypony is happy. Everypony but the example, of course."

"No! It's not like that at all!" Star Swirl objected. "I've been meeting common ponies, trying to help them any..."

"Oh, did you hear that everypony?!" interjected Lady Crimson. "Not only is she mixing the races, she's renting out her services to common ponies now!"

"Work that thing, you crazy filly!" Lady Evergreen added.

The small crowd that had gathered were all laughing now. Even Star Swirl's former patron, Prince Blueblood, was chuckling coldly.

Lady Violet came in for the kill. She smiled with hollow amusement, knowing the pun she was about to spin.

"I must say, Lady Swirl missed her calling when she became a courtier like us. Clearly, she was meant to get ahead by using her flanks, not her brains. Really, she shouldn't be a courtier. She should be a courtesan!"

What had been modest laughter broke out into uproarious fits. Prince Blueblood, the picture of reservation among the courtiers, was rolling on the floor, laughing! Across the room, however, somepony wasn't laughing. She had just gotten a sinking feeling in her stomach, the feeling a mother gets when she knows her foal is in danger. In the blink of an eye, the princess had teleported off her dais and to the location she perceived to be the source of the problem, right across the Great Hall.

-----

Normally, Luna eschewed her divine form. Not only did it echo her alter-ego Nightmare Moon, viewing her in her glory caused ponies to feel a deep-seated desire to worship, and being worshiped was something Luna truly hated. But as the she-bear rears up to her full stature to protect her cubs, so did Luna assume her divine form when she felt that her foal was endangered. In the instant between her disappearance on the dais and her reappearance on the other side of the room, she clothed herself in all her glory. Whatever was threatening her child wasn't going to know what hit them.

-----

Blueblood's laughter was cut short by the sight of an angry goddess towering over him. The same was true for Ladies Violet, Evergreen, and Crimson, as well as all the bystanders. When she spoke, her voice seemed to roll like thunder, emanating from some mysterious place outside of space and time.

"YOU FOALS! HOW DARE YOU HARASS OUR CHILD?!"

"Aa... uh... Auntie Luna?" asked the terrified prince.

"WHAT RIGHT DO YOU HAVE TO ADDRESS US THAT WAY!"

In the brief moment that her wrath was focused on the prince alone, Blueblood fainted. In fact, this was all his own doing. He simply swooned from fright like a little filly. But the others in the crowd immediately assumed that Luna had slain him, and were all the more terrified.

She looked to the trio now huddling the corner, who previously had been mocking Star Swirl.
"HAVE YOU NO ANSWERS FOR YOURSELVES?"

Not a word was spoken by the terrified unicorns still huddling in the corner. Silently, they prayed to Celestia, but she wasn't moving to help them. In fact, her eyes were full of laughter, as if this were the entertainment for the evening.

"FINE THEN. WE COMMAND YOU TO REMAIN IN THAT CORNER AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE!"

At that, she turned towards Star Swirl. As she spoke, her voice became calm. Though it was still loud and sonorous, it took on a quality less like the booming of thunder and more like the roar of incoming waves.

"My child," she called to the awestruck young royal, "follow me."

Star Swirl, although very frightened, began to take a step towards her savior. But before her hoof even hit the ground, the world changed in a flash of magical energy. Swirl realized that the goddess had teleported her away, though she did not yet know where. She couldn't see her hoof in front of her face.

Moments later, a magical aura illuminated the room, sprouting from Luna's form. The princess had shed her divinity during the teleport and was once again only just barely taller than Star Swirl, not counting her horn or wings.

"I'm sorry for my outburst back in the Great Hall," Luna said. "Instincts, I suppose."

Star Swirl just stared, struck dumb by the goddess' presence.

Luna closed her eyes, as did Star Swirl. Swirl could feel the princess gazing into her mind.

"Mmm... You know, I had just about given up hope. Star Swirl, you really are a remarkable pony!"

Swirl allowed one eye to pop open to watch the moon goddess.

"What do you mean, m'lady?"

"I mean your connection with the common pony! You're the first royal I've seen with the appropriate connections since I returned from my exile. At first, I thought that it must have been bred out of the bloodline, but you're proof that it's still there. We just need to teach the others to use it."

"What is 'it'? I'm afraid I still don't understand!"

"Hmm..." Luna groaned as she looked further into Star Swirl's mind. Swirl had to admit, it was quite frightening to feel a second being inside her skull, cohabitating with her own spirit. She could only hope that Luna found what she wanted quickly and left.

Luna opened her eyes and the presence inside of Star Swirl's head disappeared.

"Maybe I can explain it best if I start off like this. Lady Violet was wrong."

"About what?"

"About you having some illegitimate foals in your family tree causing you to be born an earth pony. I suppose you've heard of the six Princesses Minor?"

"Of course! They're the link between you and your sister and the modern royal family! I trace my ancestry back to Princess Royal Blue," Swirl stated proudly.

"Ah, I can believe it. You really do look just like her. That said, there's something I think you need to know. The Princesses Minor weren't all unicorns. In fact, five of them were earth ponies. Many of the families intermarried with the local unicorns in Canterlot, and that is how so many of today's royal family are unicorns. But the fact that you're still an earth pony: that means that your blood line is probably one of the most pure in the entire court!"

Once again, Swirl was too lost in the moment to speak.

"That's really not the important part though, Swirl. Here's the real question: Do you feel like you've discovered anything lately? Anything you might like to share with me?"

Star Swirl quickly ran over a checklist in her mind. She hadn't visited any uncharted continents lately or unearthed any new scientific principles. She had recently discovered that clopfics could be... nice, but she wasn't going to tell that to Princess Luna! Was there something else? Oh, there was!

"I feel like I have a real talent for connecting with the common pony. I'm not always sure what I can do for them, but I know that if they need help, I am going to want to try and do something!"

Luna smiled.

"That's it. I created the Princesses Minor at the time when Equestria had just begun to really grow. Celestia and I could no longer keep up with everypony all by ourselves, and we needed some assistance. We tried to draft all sorts of ponies to help us, but, for some reason or another, no existing family was right. Some were good with fire or clouds, others with metalworking or arcane magic, many were farmers or ranchers, but none were politicians. And so I made the royal family. When we couldn't find what we needed, I created something new."

"You and Celestia created the Princesses Minor? You brought the royal family into existence out of nothing? But I thought you were their parents somehow!"

Star Swirl's entire cosmology was being disrupted. It was starting to make her stomach hurt, or perhaps that was just an after-effect from the teleportation.

"Actually, it was just me. And I didn't really make them out of nothing, per se. Instead, I used grass and water and dirt and whatever I could find. But they didn't have birth parents if that is what you are asking."

"But isn't that... unnatural? To have created them without birth parents?"

At this, Luna laughed. "Where do you think ponies came from in the first place?" she asked.

"Well, Celestia isn't telling, but scientists suggest that they probably evolved from simpler lifeforms. We just don't have any good links yet."

"And that's where your research steers you wrong! We made ponies in the first place the very same way that I made the royal family later. Celestia made the unicorns and the pegasi, and I made the earth ponies. 'Tia always was a show-off!" Luna stated, with a dramatic flourish of a front hoof.

Star Swirl was obviously stunned by the massive onslaught of information. Luna decided to back off just a little.

"Don't worry about all of that right now. The most important part is that you understand that your talent is connecting Celestia and I to the common pony. You know everything that is truly important."

With that, Luna magicked a box out of the air.

"Care for a cupcake?"

She opened the box towards Star Swirl, revealing a dozen perfect cupcakes with rainbow-colored icing. Swirl selected one, and took a dainty bite, trying to impress the princess with her manners. She was glad that she had taken such a small bite, too, as it turned out that the cupcakes were unbelievably spicy. Apparently, the frosting had been made with real rainbows. Swirl watched in awe as Luna consumed the other eleven cupcakes in mere seconds. Then, Swirl had an idea.

"Your Majesty, am I to assume you enjoy spicy foods?"

"Oh, absolutely!"

"So you really would like something that isn't, quite so bland as the normal fare at the palace?"

"Of course! I love 'Tia to death, but her taste in foods is terrible!"

"Could you teleport us to the kitchens? There's a chef there who I think you need to meet."

-----

Princess Celestia had to put back on her divinity to calm the crowd in the Great Hall. It was worth the trouble, though, to see Luna so worked up. And maybe, just maybe, now that Luna was back, the two of them would be able to restore the royal family to its intended purpose, rather than leaving it to feast off the fat of Equestria.

Once Celestia had everypony sitting down and behaving rationally again, she gave Luna a telepathic "all clear" signal, and Luna teleported back into the Great Hall with Star Swirl. On her arrival, Luna, though still in her non-divine form, stood tall on the dais.

"Fillies and gentlecolts! You have heard this night from my sister, your beloved Princess Celestia, about the joy and magic of letting another into your heart. At this time, I would like to introduce you to a pony who has made herself the embodiment of this spirit. She has not ceased to sacrifice herself, nor stopped to give heed to criticism heaped on her by the likes of her fellow courtiers. Instead, she has reached out unabashedly to the common pony, lending a helping hoof to all in need."

As she began the traditional, formulaic part of the speech, Luna reverted to the personal "we":

"We commend this filly, Her Illustrious Highness Star Swirl, for her noble service to the land of Equestria. We salute her bravery, we commend her courage, and we recognize her wisdom. Lady Star Swirl, please kneel."

As Star Swirl knelt before her princess, she felt the alicorn's horn lightly tap her shoulder, and then the other shoulder, and then her head.

"Arise, Lady Star Swirl. We grant you the royal style 'Her Serene Highness', and the title 'Knight of Equestria'."

Her speech finished, the princess of the night raised an eyebrow as she looked first over towards Ladies Violet, Crimson, and Evergreen, who had been the antagonists most directly involved in tormenting Star Swirl, and then over to Prince Blueblood, who had abandoned Swirl in her time of greatest need.

"Surely the four of you, out of the generosity of your hearts, have some small estate that you would each like to give to the mare of the hour?" Luna asked, in a way that was more commanding than asking.

"Oh, of course!" "Mmhmm!" "Absolutely!" "Anything for you, Auntie Luna!"

It seemed as though Star Swirl would not be a landless royal for much longer.

-----

When it was all said and done, Star Swirl found it was considerably more difficult to calm herself than it was for Celestia to calm the crowds stirred up by Luna's outburst. Eventually, Swirl found herself wandering the streets of Canterlot, finally knocking on the door of Party Streamer's apartment at 2 in the morning.

Mumbles came from behind the door. "Wh... don't know... why any... would a be up now..." Shortly after, it clicked and then opened.

On seeing Swirl, Streamer's eyes lit up. "Swirl! You still look amazing in that dress after an entire night at the party! You have to come in and tell me all about it!"

-----

"'Her Serene Highness', huh? I s'pose I'm gunna have to change all those signs now."

"Oh, well, I think it would be fine to leave them the way they are. You were right all along. 'Her Illustrious Highness' really does sound more impressive!"

"So, now that you've got land an' bits, am I still going to be seeing you 'round these parts?"

"Of course! I may have a higher title now, and a few more bits, but we're friends. It would be silly to let this change anything. There was never any 'Her Illustrious Highness this' or 'Her Illustrious Highness that' in our friendship. Between you and me, I never want to be anypony but plain, simple, Star Swirl."

-----

-----

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
I'm super stoked that you enjoyed my story! It really made my day when Sethisto said that this was going to go up on Eqestria Daily! Anyone catch the Portal reference? It's subtle! How about the earrings... Any guess who those came from? There are lots of references to other fan fics scattered throughout, as well. Have fun finding them! If you can tell me what the Morena Baccarin reference was, I will give you a digital cookie!

This story went up on EqD was ages ago. In fact, it was almost a year ago when I wrote this. It was well before Luna Eclipsed, but I feel it actually matches her cannon personality quite well. This was my first story on EqD, and I'm proud to say it earned the 5-Star tag. I used the same image for this story that EqD did. Unfortunately, I don't know who they got it from. If you let me know, I will add the credit.

When writing this story, I fell tragically in love with Star Swirl. In love, because I really, really wanted one, and tragically, because they weren't for sale in the United States! Eventually, I was able to pull together some cash, and bought one from a company in France, who shipped it from their warehouse in Germany, by way of Holland and the UK. My Star Swirl doll is more of a world traveler than I am! It's okay, though. My jealously was all but forgotten when she arrived safely at my door.

Thanks for reading! If you liked anything in particular, let me know. I love reading your comments.

Macon Mixx

Comments ( 10 )

I remember it from Equestria Daily, glad it's here too.

816078 I know right? There could have been a few things that could have made the story better, but it was a pretty good read.

lovely fic! Remembered it from EqD, Glad it's made it's way here!

Will you write more stories on Star Swirl?
She is an excellent figure to explore Canterlot nobility and politics.

816078 816311 816345 Thanks guys. Glad to see that she has a few fans. There aren't many stories about merch ponies. They just don't get enough love! I'll be talking her up over on the Pony Public Library podcast. You can catch it live at www.livestream.com/friendshipismadness/ on Wednesday, June 27, at 5:30 EST or prerecorded at http://www.youtube.com/PonyPublicLibrary

817139 There were (and still are) five more story outlines in this series, but I have never fleshed them out. We'd be looking at about 80,000 words if I ever finished them. It was important to me that this first story be able to stand alone, because I'm not sure if that's something I'll ever be able to revisit. It took so much time and effort just to get this far. It certainly gave me a deeper respect for the authors of long fics! :twilightsheepish:

818481
I can certainly understand that. I'm in a similar position right now.
I do hope you find the time to flesh out these story arcs.

818481 Awesome! I shall watch eagerly.

Hahaha, I'm writing a very long fic right now and it's driving me CRAZY:pinkiecrazy:...(ugh too bad there isn't a twilight crazy emoticon) It's on how Canterlot was built.

824920 Good catch! Glad you enjoyed the story. :pinkiehappy:

Reading this again for the third time now I think. Just as good as the first two times, too bad I can't thumbs up again.

Very good read, too bad it's unfinished

Login or register to comment