• Published 25th Oct 2017
  • 635 Views, 37 Comments

Mini Mysteries - Acologic



A pony lies dead; a witness steps forward. Are they telling the truth – or lying? Slipstar knows. Do you?

  • ...
1
 37
 635

The Lazy Witness

Fleetfoot’s pre-Hearth’s Warming parties yielded habitually the latter’s whacking together a riddle or two, and Slipstar knew that, in so doing, she was out to trap him again. As the Juniors’ Derby unfolded on the other side of Observation, Fleetfoot bade everyone sit down, mugs in hooves.

‘You’ll like this one,’ she said, smiling knowingly. ‘Deep Purple’s actions were never explained.

‘Purple lived with his wife and children and was pretty happy about that. He’d spent his days laying bricks and liked nothing better than coming home to the family after a hard day’s work. His wife, she had a well-paid job herself, so it wasn’t long before Purple could retire, which he did.

‘One day, though – and this here’s what no one understands – one day he’s sitting around, not doing much, and this pony comes in. His wife screams because this pony has a knife! Heck, he’s coming at her, laughing. And Purple? Doesn’t move! Doesn’t care!

‘The pony chases after her, lunges for her. The knife connects. Purple? Doesn’t move! His wife’s injured, bleeding, but trying to protect the kids. Well, the pony goes for them and gets them all. Soon the wife’s dead and so are the children. Purple? Couldn’t care less! He just sits there, watching, and does nothing! Eventually, the police arrive, find the bodies and that’s that.’

Fleetfoot shook her head as though in disbelief, but Slipstar felt the smirk. ‘Explain that,’ she said, ‘why a happy family pony would let that happen.’

The other Wonderbolts shrugged and turned to Slipstar.

‘An excellent story, dear Fleetfoot,’ he said, bowing his head politely, ‘but not a real case, and therein lies its solution.’

What did Slipstar mean?

Slipstar realised Purple’s wife was an actress. Purple watched the entire scene on his television set, from the comfort of his own home.