• Published 25th Oct 2017
  • 635 Views, 37 Comments

Mini Mysteries - Acologic



A pony lies dead; a witness steps forward. Are they telling the truth – or lying? Slipstar knows. Do you?

  • ...
1
 37
 635

The Dead Singer

Slipstar was shaving in his flat when he heard the doorbell ring. After rinsing his face, he was most surprised to distinguish through the peephole the troubled expression of Inspector Wormstead.

‘Albeit painful to admit, Slippy,’ began the inspector once inside, ‘I need your help. Wide Range committed suicide at his Canterlot home two days ago.’

‘I don’t believe it!’ said Slipstar, aghast.

‘Range was being treated for depression,’ explained Wormstead. ‘His sister, Warren, with whom he lived, claims he confided in her that he wished to kill himself.

‘On the eve of his death, Range practised alone in the patio for two hours. “Not the usual repertoire,” Warren said. “Beautiful – but sad.” She called him to dinner the moment he’d finished, but Range did not reply. Impatient, Warren strode outside and found him dead on the floor. Beside him lay one of these.’

He held out a pretty pink flower.

‘The coroner’s report,’ concluded Wormstead, ‘confirms that Wide Range died of rhododendron poisoning.’

‘Yet you are not convinced it was suicide?’

Wormstead puffed out his cheeks.

‘Perhaps I’m being stupid.’

Slipstar shook his head and said, ‘Not this time, Inspector.’

How did Slipstar know?

Had things transpired as Warren claimed, Range could not have sung beautifully. Symptoms of rhododendron poisoning in equines include hypersalivation, loss of coordination, paralysis and seizures. She called him to dinner ‘the moment he’d finished’, remember?