• Published 25th Oct 2017
  • 632 Views, 37 Comments

Mini Mysteries - Acologic



A pony lies dead; a witness steps forward. Are they telling the truth – or lying? Slipstar knows. Do you?

  • ...
1
 37
 632

The Angry Monarch

Arriving at Canterlot’s infamous Speakers’ Corner, Slipstar watched Roquefort of the Anti-Alicorn League launch into his latest tirade on the subject of despotism.

‘When Princess Apraxia ruled,’ he told the assembled, ‘protesters were condemned to the stocks!’

A round of head-shaking followed these words, as well as the exclamation, ‘Our princess never would!’

‘So you think,’ sneered Roquefort, ‘but she’s as wicked as the lot of them!

‘Barely four months ago,’ he began, ‘I telephoned her office. Sunrise that day had been a minute overdue. Naturally, those cads cut me off, but I refused to lie down! Braving gale-force winds, I reached the castle after dark.

‘I found the princess in her study, reading by candlelight. Before I could so much as mention the word irresponsible, she went berserk! Her first spell missed and splintered the wardrobe. So did her second, which shattered the window. I dodged her third and ran for the door.

‘Unfortunately, several guards drawn to the commotion prevented my escape. I listened in horror as the princess accused me of vandalism and exacted a heavy fine! Then she went straight back to her reading, and I was booted from the castle!’

To Roquefort’s dismay, the crowd burst into peals of laughter.

‘He hasn’t improved,’ remarked Slipstar, amused.

What was wrong with Roquefort’s story?

If the window had shattered, the princess could not have simply resumed reading. Gale-force winds would have blown out the candles, leaving her study dark.