• Published 25th Oct 2017
  • 635 Views, 37 Comments

Mini Mysteries - Acologic



A pony lies dead; a witness steps forward. Are they telling the truth – or lying? Slipstar knows. Do you?

  • ...
1
 37
 635

The Lucky Murderer

Slipstar had barely sipped his tea when Fleetfoot started spinning her latest yarn. Today, Observation hosted several high-profile Wonderbolts, and the opportunity to stump in front of them the great detective she could not resist.

‘Of course, murder’s a nasty business,’ said Fleetfoot. ‘A very nasty business – and Slipstar’ll tell you that, often, a pony you know is the one to look out for.’

Slipstar drank some tea and nodded politely. Fleetfoot grinned. ‘Now, it’s not that I’m at all pleased about it,’ she said, ‘but there’s this case I heard about a while back. A real sad story.

‘Gem, Lily, Twinkle Toes and Wintersong live in the same house. Twinkle Toes and Wintersong are a couple, and they like to eat out. Romantic, you know – fancy restaurants, good food, roses and candles, the works. Gem and Lily – well, let’s just say they don’t get on. Now, one day Twinkle Toes and Wintersong go out for their meal; they have a swell time. Gem and Lily’s evening is very different, and that’s what their housemates find out when they get back.’

Fleetfoot paused to aim a little smirk at Slipstar, who remained impassive. The Wonderbolts beside him leaned toward the storyteller, interested. Fleetfoot cleared her throat.

‘Gem’s dead. Murdered by Lily. There’s blood. The carpet’s soaked. There’s glass. A heck of a struggle. It’s a nasty, nasty business. Here’s where it gets even nastier: Lily isn’t prosecuted. Lily isn’t even punished. Can you believe that? Twinkle Toes and Wintersong keep it quiet. Why would they? And why would Lily murder Gem? Nasty business.’

Though she shook and lowered her head respectfully, Slipstar knew she was smiling. Customarily, the Wonderbolts shrugged and stared, awaiting his opinion.

‘I am familiar with this case,’ said Slipstar eventually, replacing his cup upon its saucer. ‘And nasty though it is, only a fool would expect Lily not to have wanted to kill Gem. Wouldn’t you agree, dear Fleetfoot?’

What did Slipstar mean?

Slipstar inferred that Lily and Gem were pets. Lily was a cat; Gem was a goldfish. The carpet was soaked not with blood but with water, and the glass was that of a broken fishbowl.