• Published 25th Oct 2017
  • 635 Views, 37 Comments

Mini Mysteries - Acologic



A pony lies dead; a witness steps forward. Are they telling the truth – or lying? Slipstar knows. Do you?

  • ...
1
 37
 635

The Fire Fetish

A productive morning behind him, Slipstar detoured the busy streets via Canterlot Park and thus the city’s infamous Speakers’ Corner. As luck would have it, Roquefort of the Anti-Alicorn League had taken the stand, and Slipstar watched him launch quickly into his latest verbal assault on the powers that be.

‘And to top off the sordid affair,’ he shouted as the boos grew in number, ‘the princess squanders cartloads of your hard-earned bits on big-ticket whimsies and turns violent when confronted!’

A round of disapproval followed the claim, but Roquefort merely sneered. ‘Believe whatever you wish, but I stand before you as both witness and victim of such behaviour!

‘Only two weeks ago, I paid the castle a visit, bearing four hours’ wait for just a glimpse of her! The guards would let none of our party anywhere near the upper floors, but I slipped away and followed the princess to a room marked by rows of cabinets bursting with trinkets, one of which contained a small brass fetish in the shape of some many-headed animal. Pinned to the spot by such brazen misuse of funds, I was spotted.

‘The princess went berserk! She fired a spell, which missed and shattered the cabinet! The fetish flew through the air and struck sparks off the wall, igniting the drapery! To save her own skin, the princess cast another spell, banishing the flames, then accused me of vandalism and exacted a heavy fine! She went back to her collection, and I was booted from the castle!’

The crowd roared with laughter, and Slipstar grinned.

‘One of your poorest efforts yet,’ he said.

What was wrong with Roquefort’s story?

The fetish could not have ignited anything, for brass cannot spark on impact.