• Published 25th Oct 2017
  • 635 Views, 37 Comments

Mini Mysteries - Acologic



A pony lies dead; a witness steps forward. Are they telling the truth – or lying? Slipstar knows. Do you?

  • ...
1
 37
 635

The Dead Friend

At half-past one the telephone rang. Slipstar was alarmed to hear the panicked voice of Bartholomew Switzer, the wealthy retailer, whose friendship he enjoyed.

‘It’s me,’ said Switzer. ‘I need your help. I need you to come now. To my manor.’

‘What’s the matter?’ exclaimed Slipstar. ‘Tell me!’

‘I can’t say. Not now. Not – just... please come. This can’t wait. I’m in danger.’

Slipstar left his flat at once, boarded a taxi and was driven to Gladbrand, Switzer’s estate. As he arrived, he saw an ambulance and a small crowd. His heart sank.

‘Out of my way!’ he shouted, running through ponies and up the stone steps. He crossed the threshold and span around, searching for Smoky, the butler.

‘Sir?’

‘Where is he?’

‘I’m afraid Mr Switzer is dead, sir. They have just moved his body.’

Outside, Slipstar recognised his late friend’s secretary; she wiped her snout, sniffling loudly. ‘What happened?’ he asked her.

‘Mr Switzer returned home three hours ago. He asked not to be disturbed. He was served lunch at one, ate, and then I heard him telephoning you. He sounded upset, so I asked him whether he was OK, but he dismissed me. I ate my lunch alone, and when I returned to my desk, I saw that the door to Mr Switzer’s study was open – I saw him dead! Stabbed! Who could have done this?’

‘Perhaps you could tell me!’ snarled Slipstar.

Why did Slipstar mistrust the secretary?

During the telephone call, Switzer did not use Slipstar’s name; therefore, his secretary could not have known to whom Switzer was speaking.