• Published 25th Oct 2017
  • 635 Views, 37 Comments

Mini Mysteries - Acologic



A pony lies dead; a witness steps forward. Are they telling the truth – or lying? Slipstar knows. Do you?

  • ...
1
 37
 635

The Strangler

‘There’s no need to stick your snout in, Slippy,’ said Inspector Wormstead, the cocksure flatfoot with a healthy contempt for private investigators. ‘We’ve got our man.’

‘He confessed?’

‘Not exactly, but I’ve a witness – a post pony who claims to have watched Spinner strangle our stiff to death with a garrotte. He’d just delivered magazines when he saw Spinner “pull open the door of his house and enter”. Shortly afterwards he heard a scream and, rushing over to investigate, saw Spinner through the open window, dispatching his wife in the manner previously described.’

‘Ah, but the witness,’ said Slipstar. ‘Can he not lie?’

‘Ruddy devil’s putting on one heck of an act in that case. He seemed as genuine as the ice and snow.’

‘Is he to testify?’

‘Surely.’

‘I strongly recommend that you arrest him on suspicion of murder.’

Why?

Slipstar realised that the ‘post pony’ was lying. He claimed he saw Spinner pull open the door of his house. Private-house doors open inwards – a fact that any real post pony would know.