• Published 25th Oct 2017
  • 635 Views, 37 Comments

Mini Mysteries - Acologic



A pony lies dead; a witness steps forward. Are they telling the truth – or lying? Slipstar knows. Do you?

  • ...
1
 37
 635

The Dead Doctor

‘Doctor Holiday was stabbed to death in her practice late last night,’ Inspector Wormstead told Slipstar grimly. ‘We’ve got a suspect. The porter admitted a suspicious-looking fellow whose profile matches that of Billy Jakes, a small-time crook.’

‘Let’s hear him out,’ said Slipstar.

Jakes was shepherded through the door and made to sit.

‘What’s the big idea?’ he demanded angrily. ‘I haven’t done anything!’

‘Ever make the acquaintance of Jack Holiday?’ asked the inspector.

‘Who?’

‘Doctor Holiday has been murdered,’ Wormstead explained, ‘and we know a stallion answering your description was granted entrance to the clinic that day.’

‘That wasn’t me!’ protested Jakes.

‘Do you have an alibi?’

‘I was at the pub, playing cards. Ask anyone.’

Wormstead glared at Jakes and growled, ‘We will.’

‘Look, I’m telling you! I didn’t kill her! Now if you don’t mind, I’ll take my leave.’

‘Close the door, Inspector,’ said Slipstar sharply. ‘He’s lying!’

How did Slipstar know?

Despite acting as though he’d never heard of Jack Holiday, Jakes knew the doctor was a mare.