• Published 25th Oct 2017
  • 632 Views, 37 Comments

Mini Mysteries - Acologic



A pony lies dead; a witness steps forward. Are they telling the truth – or lying? Slipstar knows. Do you?

  • ...
1
 37
 632

The Scuffle

Crimson Quill grunted as he dropped his pen and stooped to pick it up while Slipstar opened the curtains to let in some light. Miss Ivory was petting her cats, crooning softly as she scratched the ears of each of them.

‘Right, Miss Ivory,’ said Quill, rubbing his eyes. ‘We haven’t got much time.’

‘I was just feeding Titus here,’ she began, ‘when I heard a commotion outside. Now, I couldn’t tell exactly what was happening from the kitchen, but before I so much as thought to find out, somepony cried for help!’

‘Glade Tyler, yes,’ said Quill, sucking his teeth. ‘He’s badly injured, but the doctor thinks he’ll make a full recovery.’

‘And I’m proper glad to hear it, you know!’ said Miss Ivory, nodding earnestly. ‘I heard a banging noise, then some shouting and ran in here for a better look.

‘And lo and behold!’ she said impressively. ‘There he was, cudgel in hoof, towering over poor Mr Tyler like some feral monster! He whacked him over the head once more, then looked up and saw me staring at him through the window. I screamed, and he turned and ran! I called the police, who arrived at once, twenty minutes before you did.

‘Of course,’ she finished, ‘I’d be more than willing to describe the suspect for you, Mr Quill. That evening paper of yours would still be taking submissions, yes?’

‘Try it in court,’ snapped Quill angrily as he got to his hooves. ‘I’ll be sure to report your perjury.’

Slipstar held the door.

What was wrong with Miss Ivory’s story?

Quill knew Miss Ivory was pining for a headline. She claimed to have witnessed the incident through the window of the very room whose curtains Slipstar had just pulled open.