• Published 25th Oct 2017
  • 635 Views, 37 Comments

Mini Mysteries - Acologic



A pony lies dead; a witness steps forward. Are they telling the truth – or lying? Slipstar knows. Do you?

  • ...
1
 37
 635

The Dead Hoofballer

‘It happened barely an hour ago,’ the parkie told Inspector Wormstead as Slipstar paced up and down, listening. ‘After the cup final, in which Star was sent off. Of course, the Colts couldn’t play nearly as well with only ten ponies, so they lost the match.’

‘Get to the point,’ said Wormstead. ‘How did he end up... like that?’

Star’s body they had found sprawled on the grass. The left side of his jaw was badly misshapen, and he was missing teeth. The blood on his lips was not quite dry. His eyes Slipstar had closed before the ambulance had driven him away.

‘I’m not sure why,’ said the parkie, leaning on his fork, ‘but after the game Star stayed behind. Perhaps he wanted to be alone. I came out onto the pitch to check the turf and saw that Star and a big stallion were brawling! I shouted at them, tried to make them stop, but Star got distracted. The stallion saw his chance and swung a murderous left. Caught him square in the face, and that was it. He scarpered as I ran to Star. It was too late.’

‘This stallion – who was he?’ asked Wormstead. ‘What did he look like?’

‘He was dark-coated. Big. Mean-looking, you know. A hooligan. I wouldn’t be surprised if he turns out to be an angry fan who wanted revenge.’

‘Spare me the theorising,’ muttered Wormstead – and, turning to Slipstar, he asked: ‘What’s your verdict, then? How do we catch this ruffian?’

‘You’ll struggle to,’ said Slipstar, ‘though the answers may be close.’

What did Slipstar mean?

Slipstar realised the parkie’s account was false. A ‘murderous left’ would have connected not with the left side of Star’s jaw but with the right.