• Published 18th Jul 2012
  • 874 Views, 11 Comments

Scattered Memories - Alphanova



In search for the answer, Bonds will be tested and the pain of the past will be faced once more.

  • ...
3
 11
 874

Chapter 4: Into the Slumber of Darkness




Into the Darkness of Slumber



“Ancestors, please hear me!”

“I have to warn them! But where could it be?”

Zecora rapidly flipped through the pages of the book unable to find the answer she sought. She placed the book back on the self and grabbed another. Yet, with each book after book that she read through yielded no result. Zecora rubbed her head in frustration as she closed the last book.

“It has to be somewhere...” Zecora stared at one of the masks that hung on her wall. A strange shadow was cast within the mask by flames that flickered from the fireplace. “Could it be there?”

Zecora moved towards the mask and slowly removed it from its place on the wall. A large scroll was stuck to the mask. She lightly blew on the scroll kicking up a cloud of dust in the air. The papyrus itself frail and wrinkled worn out by the flow of time. Numerous faded hieroglyphs and drawings were written as she carefully unwrapped the scroll. Her heart began to sink further and further as she continued analyzing the writing.

“The gift of the goddess and the Tome of Tarta-”

A loud knock echoed through the hut breaking Zecora’s focus. She cautiously walked towards the door and opened it to find a familiar young man standing before her.

“Lux? Why are you here at my home all alone?” asked the zebra with a puzzled expression.

“...” The young man extended his hand. Zecora crashed against the wall launched by a blast of shadowy magic. She shook as she struggled to rise to her hooves. The young man extended his hand once more a large dark shadowy hand materialized constricting Zecora and pinning her to the wall.

“Y-You are not Lux...” said Zecora as she struggled to free herself.

“You should have learned to mind your own business,” replied the young man. “I had a feeling you knew a little too much, not many individuals know about the power of a crystal of the heart.

“Those monsters... I should have known!” Zecora stared at the glowing emerald eyes of the young man. “What are you planning to do with the tome?!”

“If you are so eager to know then perhaps you should see for yourself,” grinned the young man.

“Stop this! It is not too late!” Zecora pleaded with the boy. “Do not chain yourself to this fate!”

“Such hypocrisy! You creatures pride yourselves on the very aspect of chaining to fate!” exclaimed the young man as he turned away from the zebra. His eyes captivated by the dancing flames of the fireplace. He focused back on the zebra with a small smile on his face. “Don’t worry, you will come to appreciate what I am trying to accomplish,”

A portal black as night formed next to the young man. Zecora thrashed about as she began to inch closer to the void dragged by the boy’s magic.

“Goodnight, Zecora,” said the young man as he watched Zecora consumed by the darkness.

The young man picked up the scroll that lay on the floor where the zebra once was and tossed it into the fireplace. The scroll crackled as the flames slowly devoured it. A large smile grew on his face as he left the hut.

“Bound by fate or by bonds. Either way it will all vanish in the end”


Moonlight poured through the windows of the castle as the moon sat high in the night sky. The halls of the castle were silent and peaceful but the tranquility did nothing to quell the anger of the prince that walked the halls.

“”Absolutely not! I will never allow this!” Bah!” mumbled the prince. “The nerve of that... that, that brute! How dare he reject a plan as perfect as mine?!”

Blueblood paused and sat next to a stained glass window, the window carrying the image of Princess Celestia using the Elements of Harmony to banish Nightmare Moon. The image of Shining Armor manifested itself in his mind; he did not care for what the captain thought of him and his proposal or what anypony’s view of him was as well. He stepped back staring at the image for a last time and continued on onward down the hall.

“Oh auntie,” sighed the prince as he opened the golden doors of his room. “How long can you continue fighting on your own?”

Only the moonlight that came through the windows faintly illuminated the room casting shadows on every part of it. The faint ticking of a grandfather clock echoed through the room. The prince slowly walked through the room an uneasy feeling overwhelmed him.

“W-Who’s there?!” muttered Blueblood attempting to peer into the shadows. “Show yourself!”

Blueblood breathed a heavy sigh as only the ticking of the clock reached his ears. “Just my imagin-”

“Why are you so nervous?” a voice echoed behind the prince. Blueblood spun around as fast as he could and set his eyes on the voice. The shadowy silhouette of a bipedal creature stood before with its cold green eyes focused on him. The prince staggered backwards struggling to muster the courage to speak.

“G-Guards! Guards!” called out Blueblood. “There is an intruder in my chamber!”

The creature tossed an object in the air. The object fell to the floor with a loud clang as it rolled towards the prince. Blueblood’s eyes widened with shock as the object came into the moonlight. A cracked sapphire helm gleamed in the light.

“Your guards are taking a well deserved rest,” smiled the creature.

The prince bolted towards the door not once looking back, his heart beating in his chest like a hammer to a nail. The prince lunged at the door only to crash against it. Prince Blueblood fell backwards the pain of the impact spreading through his body; he stared at the door dumbfounded. A wall of ink-like shadow was now covering the door. The creature emerged from the shadows carrying the same cold looking in his eyes as before.

“Your guards told me a lot about you, Prince Blueblood of Equestria,” said the creature. “I ask that you stay awhile, we have some things to discuss,”

“W-What are you?” muttered Blueblood failing to conceal the fear in his voice. “What do you want?”

“It's nice to meet you, your highness. I am Thanatos Di Selene,” replied the creature with a courteous bow. “Princess Celestia is aware that the tome is missing correct? Would you happen to know how she plans to retrieve it?”

“You... You are the one who stole the Tome of Tartarus!” exclaimed Prince Blueblood.

“Perhaps...” shrugged Thanatos. “But that is not important, you know don’t you?”

“So what if I do?” snorted Blueblood. “Do you think I will tell you because I will do no such thing!”

“You are in no position to be testing me,” Thanatos’ eyes filled with murderous intent. Shadows in the form of swords materialized around the prince, the blades began to float towards him.

“A-Alright!” Blueblood muttered as the swords pressed against his neck. “They left the file in my writing desk!”

“Good,” Thanatos raised his hand disintegrating the swords around the prince’s neck. “Bring it to me,”

Prince Blueblood cautiously made his way to his writing desk. He pointed his horn at the file; a blue hue enveloped the file lifting it into the air. The prince walked back to the young man, his head hung low in shame.

“Here...” Blueblood averted his eyes away from the young man as the file floated towards him.

“Hm...” Thanatos flipped through the various pages of the file. A small file formed on his face. “Thank you your highness. Now then, I have an offer for you,”

“What?!” Prince Blueblood looked up at the young man with confusion. “What do you mean?”

“Join us, Prince Blueblood,” replied Thanatos. “You can help shepherd the inhabitants of this world to something far better. You have the potential to become the hero that could save the empire,”

“Lead the world into something better?”

“I can be a hero?”

The thoughts slowly crept into Blueblood’s mind. He smiled entertaining the idea of his subjects adoring him, showering him with gifts, praising him. However, the warm memories of his aunt appeared in his mind bringing him back to reality.

“No! I will never betray Aunt Celestia!”

“I see... that is unfortunate,” sighed Thanatos as he stared at the prince with a calm demeanor. Blueblood attempted to back away only to find the shadows wrapped around his body like snakes tieing him to floor. “Your loyalty is admirable but ill-placed,”

“Let me go!” cried the prince.

“Do not be afraid, you will not feel a thing,” Thanatos placed his hand on the prince’s head. Blueblood’s eyes widened with horror as a green light began to glow from the hand. The flash of a green light flickered in the room.

“Good night, your highness,” the young man melted away into the darkness.


The cobblestone streets of Canterlot echoed with the footsteps of Thanatos, he stared at the moon that illuminated the sleeping city.

“Master, the night is beautiful just as you have always made them,” Thanatos basked in the moon’s radiance. “This wretched place does not deserve to be in the presence of your night,”

“You... You’re human aren’t you?” said a voice.

Thanatos turned towards the voice that had spoke. A mare with cyan eyes stared at him, her coat was a light amber and her mane a a mix of yellow and blazing crimson. A brown cloak covered the rest of her body.

“Maybe you are correct,” Thanatos placed his hands behind his head with a smile on his face. “I’m impressed, I didn’t think there were others in this world who know about humans,”

“How do you know about this world?” questioned the mare. “Aren’t you from the high school?”

“What’s High School?” The young man tilted his head in wonder.

“What?!” a dumbfounded expression grew across her face. “You’re not from the mirror world?”

“Sorry, I really have no idea what you’re talking about,” Thanatos lowered his hands. He coldly stared at the mare. “I can’t have you wandering about with all that knowledge you have so you’re coming with me,”

“Why don’t you make me?”

“As you wish,” Thanatos’ eyes glowed with excitement. The young man charged towards the mare at full speed. The mare confidently stepped back and pointed her horn towards the young man. A cyan hue enveloped her horn as a blast of magic shot forth hitting the young man in the chest. His body fell to the ground and lay motionless.

“You should’ve known better than to underestimate me,” said the mare with a poised smile.

“Could have said it better myself!” her heart stopped as the young man’s voice echoed behind her. She quickly turned readying another magic blast but it was too late, the shadows wrapped around her tightly dragging her into a dark void.


“Keep moving,” the shadowy swords hovered around her limiting her movement as she and the young man continued further and further down the cave. The cave howled with the echoes of the wind from the outside. The faint light of the crystals embedded in the walls of the cave illuminated their path.

“Where are we going?” the mare looked back at the young man.

“You’ll see...” replied Thanatos. The two walked into a large chamber. The walls were embedded with crystals making the chamber vibrant with light. The mare could see the glowing eyes of the Changelings as they peered out of the other tunnels curious to see their guest or their next meal. A cold bead of sweat rolled down the side of her face, this many Changelings could only mean one thing; their queen was nearby. The young man halted in the center of the chamber forcing the mare to stop as well. She looked past the swords that were still pointed at her and set her eyes to the end of the chamber.

The two figures that sat atop thrones carved out of rock stared back at her; the insect-like wings and jagged horn of the first figure were all too familiar. The green eyes of the Changeling Queen stared at the mare with distaste. The second figure donned the same black coat and glowing cat-like eyes of Thanatos.

“Welcome back, Thanatos,” said the figure as it stared her with interest. “I see you have brought a guest. I take it everything went well?”

“Yes master, it did,” Thanatos pulled the file out of his coat and held it out as he knelt before the figure. A dark green hue enveloped the file lifting it into the air and towards the figure. “I even made a few friends especially her. She speaks of a mirror world,”

“That is quite interesting, you have done well,” said the figure. “Now then, why don’t you make our guest feel at home?”

“Yes, master,” Thanatos extended his hand melting away the shadowy swords that had surrounded her.

“Introduce yourself my dear,”

“My name is Sunset Shimmer,” the mare walked forward. “And who are you?”

“You may call me, Dia,” answered the figure. “This is my friend, Chrys-”

“I already know who she is,” Sunset Shimmer stared at the Changeling Queen with apathy. “So this is where the mighty Changeling Queen is hiding. In a cave,”

“I’d watch my tongue if I were you, little foal,” Chrysalis said with a venomous glare.

“Answer me, Dia,” Sunset Shimmer focused on the figure. “What are you planning?”

“To liberate this world from the darkness that plagues it, from Celestia,” replied Dia.

“Whatever,” Sunset Shimmer rolled her eyes. “You can’t beat her, in the end you will end up like Chrysalis, here pitifully licking your wounds,”

“Why you insolent little rat!” seethed Chrysalis.

“Enough,” Dia raised her hoof calming the Changeling Queen. She arose from her throne and approached the young mare. Sunset Shimmer slowly took a step back mesmerized by her emerald eyes.

“I sense vast potential in you,” said Dia. “I can help you awaken to your full potential. Join us, Sunset Shimmer,”

“You’re just empty promises...” Sunset Shimmer looked away in rancor, “Empty promises just like Celestia,”

“Ah, I see...” Dia’s eyes gleamed with curiosity. “You were my sister’s pupil before Twilight Sparkle. “She is a more malleable replacement it would seem,”

“Shut up...” Sunset shimmer gritted her teeth. “Whatever her abilities are they are nothing compared to mine,”

“It's alright,” Dia extended her hoof towards her. “ I understand your pain,”

“You know nothing!!” Sunset Shimmer slapped Dia’s hoof away. Her eyes filled with tears. “To be replaced and forgotten like some kind of old toy! You don’t know what it's like to be forgotten by the only one you ever cared about!”

“But I do, Sunset Shimmer,” Dia slowly pulled off her cowl letting her starry blue mane flow freely. “I too know the pain of being forgotten,”

“Princess Luna?!” Sunset Shimmer’s mouth dropped as the princess of the night stood before her. “But you and Celestia made amends!”

“Yet things are the same as they were thousands of years ago, I am still nothing more than a shadow to the sun,” Dia wrapped her forelegs around Sunset Shimmer bringing the young mare close her. “I will guide the world to the light of a new era where nopony is forgotten and alone bound to their fate. It will be a world where everypony is happy,”

Dia guided Sunset Shimmer towards a large mirror-like crystal embedded in the wall. The young mare stared into the crystal, the reflection of an alicorn princess donning a star-like crown gently smiled at her.

“I need a successor to reign over the new world,” Dia stared at Sunset Shimmer. “I believe you can be that successor. The choice is yours to make, young one,”

“I’ll do it,” Sunset Shimmer stared at Dia with newfound hope in her eyes. “What do I need to do?”

“Just close your eyes...” Dia whispered sweetly.

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Feel free to leave critique and feedback. Have a lovely night and Season 5! :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment