• Published 18th Jul 2012
  • 874 Views, 11 Comments

Scattered Memories - Alphanova



In search for the answer, Bonds will be tested and the pain of the past will be faced once more.

  • ...
3
 11
 874

Chapter 2: Awakening

Chapter 2: Awakening

“Absolutely not! I will never allow this!”

“I was not asking for your opinion, captain, nor was I asking for your permission,” the air was all but peaceful in the princess’ throne room. Shining Armor stared at the prince with a furious gaze, the prince simply looked past the captain’s gaze.

“Blueblood, may I ask what has driven you to propose such a plan?” said Princess Celestia with a bit of concern in her voice.

“Auntie Celestia, look around you,” Blueblood stared at the stained glass windows, each one depicting a piece of Equestria’s history. “The empire still stands thanks to your leadership and the Elements of Harmony... yet I am not at ease. The Changeling attack was the third time that Equestria was in danger and it nearly cost you your life. But what happens if next time is different? I propose that the Elements become Equestria’s sword and shield and allow them to find the tome!”

“Leave my sister alone...” Shining Armor drew close to the prince. His heart filled with anger as he stared down the prince. “Leave her friends out of this as well.”

“Stand down, Shining Armor,” said Princess Celestia.

“Princess-”

“Stand down,”

“My dear nephew...” Celestia stared at the stained glass windows, reminiscing of each memory before setting her eyes back on Blueblood. “I appreciate your concern for me but I cannot allow this plan to go through. The Elements should never be used as weapons, this was agreed upon between Equestria and the other nations. To do this would be to betray Twilight and betray what the Elements stand for.

“B-But...”

“Your Highness,” the guardspony entered and bowed before the Princess of the Sun. “It is the scientists, they ask for your presence in the laboratory,”

“Thank you for the message,” replied Celestia as she rose from her throne. “You may go. Shining Armor, Blueblood, shall we?

“Of course, princess,” the captain joined the princess’ side. The prince, however, began to walk away giving a sneer at the captain. “Just leave a copy of the report in my chamber. I just remembered there are things I must attend to,”

“Very well, nephew...”


The laboratory bustled with countless scientists in white lab coats moving about. Various fragments of the metal were laid across the many tables of the lab, while other fragments floated in jars filled with colorful liquid. The scientists paused and bowed as they saw Princess Celestia and Shining Armor entered the laboratory.

“Sister!” Luna said happily as she approached Celestia. “The scientists summoned you as well didn’t they? I wonder what they have found?”

“Yes sister, as do I,” Celestia slightly smiled. “Now I wonder where is the lead scientist”?

“I am here your highness!” the scientist emerged from her office and bowed before the princesses. The sisters smiled at the scientist only to stare in disbelief at her tattered and disorganized brown mane that was held together by a pair of wide-eyed goggles. The bags under her green eyes and her coat with the coffee-stained sleeves displayed countless days of grueling work. “I am Doctor Code Breaker. I have news about the fragments that were found,”

“Oh?”

“The fragments are actually pieces of armor,”said the gray mare. “The strange thing is that the armor is made up of a combination of crystals from the crystal north and metals found throughout our land, the armor is of Equestrian origin!”

“WHAT?!” Luna’s voice boomed throughout the laboratory, her eyes wide with disbelief. “That is impossible! I saw it fall from the sky! Check again!”

“Y-Your Majesty!” Code Breaker quivered before the Princess of the Moon. “We tested the armor three times! The results came out the same, the armor is Equestrian!”

“That can’t be...” Luna stared at the fragments then shook her head in dismay. “It came from the stars I am sure of it...”

“It’s alright, Luna,” Celestia placed a hoof on her sister’s shoulder. “There is still so much we do not know but we at least know something now. Is there anything else, Doctor Code Breaker?”

“There is one more thing,” said Code Breaker. “I believe I found a strange property in one of the fragments. Please observe.”

Codebreaker pointed upward, where a young scientist dangled from the ceiling. The fragment of armor shook in his trembling hooves and his green eyes stared at ground immense fear.

“Ready, young one?” called out the mare. Shining Armor and the two sisters stared at the ceiling dumbfounded.

“Umm...” the scientist began to sweat profusely. “Are you sure about this will work, Doctor Code Breaker?”

“Let us find out! Cut the rope!!” She ordered. The rope snapped in two and the young stallion began to free-fall. All the scientists in the lab paused and watch their colleague's rapid descent, even the princesses stood flabbergasted only able to watch along with the rest of the scientists.

The falling stallion clutched the fragment close to his chest. Suddenly, the fragment began to glow a light green enveloping the scientist in the light. The light shot down to the ground. Everypony except Code Breaker had shut their eyes expecting to hear the horrendous sound of a body impacting the ground, yet no sound came. They opened their eyes and stared in awe along with Code Breaker as the young stallion floated to the ground within the force field unharmed.

“Wow...” the scientists began to talk among themselves.

“As you can see, your highnesses,” the scientist petted her colleague’s head as he shook like a frightened foal.”This particular piece carries a form of defensive force field, allowing the wearer to land without harm,”

“A defensive field?” questioned Shining Armor. “Was this armor protecting something?”

“That is still unknown, this is all we have found at the current moment. I am sorry, Captain,” replied Code Breaker. “We will notify if there are new findings,”

“Thank you,” said Celestia. The Princess of the sun turned and departed from the laboratory. “Carry on,”

“Sister, where are you going?” Luna asked with unease in her voice.

“I have to tend to a few things...” Celestia vanished into the castle halls; her mind grew more restless with this recent finding.


Unlike the chaos from within the castle the garden of the castle was tranquil, the cerulean sky was clear and the gentle breeze of the wind flowed through her mane. Vibrant roses and tulips were in full bloom enriching the garden with color and life. Celestia walked towards one of the various statues in garden. The statue of the Draconequus carried a look of fear in it's face. Celestia sat before the statue and breathed a heavy sigh allowing the wind to carry it away. She stared at the sky her worries weighing heavily in her mind.

“Awww... why the long face?” teased the familiar voice that echoed in her mind.

“I am not in the mood for your jokes, Discord,” Celestia shot a vexed look at the statue.

“You can fool others but you can’t fool me,” said Discord. “We both know why you come here...”

Celestia stared at the ground for a moment, as much as she despised the fact she could not deny it. He understood her more than anypony.

“For starters, you lost the Tome of Tartarus,” said the Draconequus.

Celestia stared at the statue with astonishment. “How did you-,”

“ The little prince passed by grumbling about the “stupid captain” and his “stupid plan to reclaim the tome,” chuckled Discord.

“Blueblood...” sighed Celestia as she put her hoof to her face.

“But that’s not what is troubling you, is it?” he asked.

“No, it is not,” Celestia’s eyes filled with sadness. Her heart grew heavy as she spoke. “It's Luna... I feel like I don’t know her anymore...”

“I see...” said Discord. “It seems the rift between both of you is still great. If I do recall this is how it was the last time,”

“No...” Celestia shook her head remembering the pain of the past. “This time will be different,”

“We will see, Celestia,” said Discord. “To protect your dear sister or the subjects you love? Will you become the savior, the traitor and the tyrant once more?”

The Princess of the Sun gave another cross look to the Draconequus. “There is something I want to know, Discord,”

“I might be able to answer you, maybe...” replied Discord.

“Why didn’t you use the Tome of Tartarus against Luna and I back then?” questioned the Princess.

“Heh... I probably should have,” chuckled Discord. “If I had used it I would have destroyed all of you and there would be nopony left to have fun with me,”

Celestia stared at the statue unamused at the Draconequus’ response.

“You have no sense of humor. I made a promise to Starswirl that if I ever came across the tome I would never use it,” added Discord. “There is no telling what the thief plans to do with it, happy now?”

“You knew Starswirl the Bearded?”

“Yes, I knew him before he passed on,” replied the Draconequus. “We were like friends...”

“Interesting...” said Celestia to herself as she began to walk away from the statue and into the castle. “Thank you, Discord,”

“One last thing, Celestia,”

“Yes?”

“How about more variety of flowers in the garden? It gets really dull just staring at the same roses and tulips,” said Discord. “Ooh, how about some Columbines?”


“We are not Crystal Knights...”

“We are beasts and nothing more...”

“Don’t you see, Lux?”

“Wake up sleepyhead!”

“Ah!” Lux awoke abruptly to Applebloom shaking his hammock back and forth. “Ugh... just five more minutes,” protested the young man.

“Come’ on, Lux! You’re late for breakfast!” exclaimed the filly as she shook the hammock more vigorously.

“Fine...” Lux sighed in defeat. He slowly rose out of his hammock, feeling less drained since he last awoke. The strange echoes had been hounding him had ceased as well. Lux quickly tied his boots and zipped up his coat joining Applebloom as the two walked towards the open barn door. Lux shielded his eyes from the bright rays of the morning sun.

“Don’t you feel hot in that coat?” Applebloom stared at the shadowy coat.

“I’d feel cold without it,” replied Lux.

“Cold?” Applebloom carried a puzzled look on her face. “But it's Spring!”

The two entered the house and into the dining room. The rest of the Apple family was seated at the table waiting for Applebloom and Lux while Winona; Applejack’s work dog, lay underneath the table patiently waiting for the delicious scraps to fall from above.

“Well Good Morning, little colt!” smiled Granny Smith as she pushed an enormous plate of fresh cut apples towards his plate. “Have a seat,”

“Good Mornining everybo- I mean everypony,” Lux sat down and smiled at the family.

“Good Mornin’!” replied Applejack and Big Mac. The room immediately fell silent; everypony put their hooves together and bowed their heads. Lux looked around perplexed by the Apple family.

“Thank you for the food!” Everypony said in unison. The young man stared at them with an even more dumbfounded look. “Let’s eat!”

“It's an Apple family custom, Lux,” Granny Smith chuckled seeing the young man’s clueless face. “It’s to appreciate the food and the chance of being together,”

“Appreciate being together...” Lux pondered to himself.

“So, Lux, How’d you sleep last night?” asked Applejack with a mouth full of apples.

“I felt like I could sleep forever!” smiled Lux reminiscing of the relaxing sway of the hammock,

“Well, We can’t have you doing that!” chuckled the mare. “We still need to show you the ropes!”

“The ropes?” questioned the young man.

“Oh! Can I teach him too?!” Applebloom stood from her seat her eyes flickered with excitement.

“Nope, you need to go to school, Sugarcube,” said the mare as she finished the last of her breakfast. “Go get ready for school, Big Mac will walk you there this time. Lux, I’ll see ya outside.

“Awww, no fair!” Applebloom’s ears flattened in disappointment. The Apple family rose out of their seats to begin the day’s tasks. The filly walked towards Lux gesturing him to come closer. “Let’s go see Zecora after the girls and I get back from school, okay?”

“Okay,”


Lux walked towards Applejack, who stood with an empty bushel underneath the apple tree.

“Applejack?”

The earth pony quickly turned around and thrust her powerful back legs into the trunk of the tree. The leaves of the tree shook and dropped it's apples into the bushel perfectly. Applejack turned towards the young man man with a confident smile on her face. “That’s Applebucking for ya!”

“Apple-what?” he tilted his head in confusion.

“Applebucking!” smiled the mare. “This is how we gather apples! Give it a try, Lux,”

“Seems simple enough...” the young man stared at the tree.

“Sure is! Just relax and kick!”

Lux took a step and took a deep breath. He focused his gaze on the tree and gathered his strength. The young man raised his leg and thrust it onto the tree with all his strength, the leaves of the apple tree barely quivered. Lux knelt to the ground clutching his leg as pain shot through it.

“Are you alright, Lux?” the mare stared in concern.

“I’m fine,” Lux stood once more ignoring the throbbing pain his leg. He inhaled deeply and exhaled. His mind burned with great determination to drop the apples from the tree. Lux gathered his strength and thrust his leg onto the tree again but to no avail.

“Maybe applebucking isn’t for you,”

“Just give me one more try,” panted Lux. He focused once more on the tree despite the pain and the beads of sweat that were running down his face. “Apples in the bushel,” he said to himself. Lux mustered all his strength and thrust his leg into the tree but again the apples did not fall. Frustrated, he thrust his leg into the tree over and over only to come to the same end. ”Come on!” Lux gave one last thrust, finally, the leaves rustled and a single apple fell into the bushel.

“Seriously?!” Lux stared at the lone apple in disappointment.

“Chin up, Lux!” the earth pony picked up the apple and smiled at the young man. “Applebucking may not be for you but you gave it your best shot,” Applejack tossed the apple towards Lux. “Tell you what, I buck and you carry the bushels into the house. “Does that sound good?”


Lux sat down on the steps to the house sore and exhausted from the bushels and the heat of the sun. He unzipped his coat happy to finally rest.

“Not bad, Lux!” Applejack trotted towards him carrying a tray with two glasses of apple cider on her back. ”Here ya go,” the earth pony gave him a glass and set the tray on the on the steps taking the other glass for herself. “You certainly got a bit of the Apple family spirit in you!”

“All I did was carry bushels, Applejack,” said Lux. He took a drink of the cold cider, its sweet taste refreshed his body bringing a smile to his face. “I’ve tasted this before...” Lux thought to himself.

“Nonsense, Lux!” Applejack gave him a nudge. “You helped me take those bushels to the house and helping each other is what family is all about. You can relax for today and I’ll handle the rest, okay?” Applejack stood up and trotted back into the fields.

“Lux!” called out the three fillies as they arrived running towards the young man. “Come on! Let’s go to Zercora’s!”

“Already?” Lux stared at the girls dumbfounded. “ But all of you just got here,”

“The faster we get to Zecora’s means more time for Cutie Mark crusading!” happily exclaimed Sweetie Belle.

“Yeah! And more crusading means more chances to find our Cutie Marks!” added Scootaloo.

“Plus the sooner we get there the sooner you’ll get your memories back,” said Applebloom.” Don’t you want your memories already?

“Well... yes.”

“Then what are we waiting for? Let’s go!”


Lux looked around as he and the three fillies treaded the dirt path deeper into the forest. The light of day began wan from the towering trees that obscured the sun. Bushes and plant life of various green grew wherever there was space, vines grew on the ground and wrapped around the trees like snakes. It was nothing like Ponyville, a distant world untamed and alive.

“What is this place?” asked Lux. He could not help but feel something was watching him in the shadows of the forest.

“This is the Everfree Forest,” replied Applebloom as she led the group unfazed by the forest. “Lots of ponies are afraid of this place,”

“How come?”

“All the trees and plants grow on their own,” said Sweetie Belle. “Clouds move on their own and animals take care of themselves,”

“I hear there are ghosts wandering deep in the forest!” Scootaloo happily smiled. “Oh! We could get our Cutie Marks in ghosts!”

“Cutie Mark Ghostbusters!” grinned the white unicorn. “That has a nice ring to it,”

“What are Cutie Marks?” asked the young man. “ All of you get so excited when you bring it up,”

“Cutie Marks show a pony’s special talent, “ the earth pony turned to Lux. “Everypony gets one when they discover themselves.”

“Finding out who you are? Like purpose?”

“Yeah something like that,” replied Applebloom.

“Nearly everypony in our class has theirs expect us...” frowned Sweetie Belle. “Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon keep calling us “Blank Flanks” because of it,”

“We’ll show them! We’re going get our Cutie Marks soon!” Scootaloo cheered with determination.

“Is that star on your uniform your Cutie Mark, Lux?” Sweetie Belle asked the young man.

“I don’t think I have a cutie mark,” replied the young man. “I’m not certain why I have this uniform in the first place. Everything is still blank...”

“Don’t worry about it! I’m sure Zecora can help,” said the orange pegasus. “We’re almost there!”

“Ngh!” Lux fell to his knees clutching his head at the sharp pain that manifested itself once more. The world around him began to blur and the voices began to echo in his mind again.

“The darkness is coming...”

“The heart is the key...”

“Lux, what’s wrong?!” the girls rushed towards the young man. Suddenly, the echoes fell silent and world was clear again. The young man raised his head to find a young blue filly standing behind the three girls. Her coat was deep blue with an azure mane; her cyan eyes gleamed in the dim light. She carried the wings of a Pegasus and the horn of a unicorn; the filly was unlike any of the ponies Lux had seen before. Tears were streaming down her face like a waterfall.

“Why did you abandon me?” wept the blue filly. “You promised me that...” she closed her eyes running off deeper into the forest. Lux immediately rose to his feet and chased after the filly.

“Lux, stop! Where are you going?!” called out Sweetie Belle. The three girls chased after the young man following him deeper into the darkness of the forest. The twisted and curled branches were extended as if they arms dragging the group into darkness. No matter how fast Lux ran the blue filly was always ahead, the distance between them increasing with every moment. He could feel it in his heart this filly was somehow familiar.

Lux’s heart skipped a beat as he felt the ground beneath him vanish. He tumbled down a tall ridge and landed with a mighty thud. He stumbled to his feet, his mind spinning from the fall. His coat was now covered with dirt and mud with several tears to his uniform. The girls squealed as they too tumbled down the ridge. The three fillies slowly rose covered in mud with branches entangled in their now messy manes.

“Why were you running?!” Applebloom exclaimed angrily.

“Where did she go?” Lux looked around oblivious to Applebloom’s rage.

“Where did who go?” Scootaloo spat dirt out of her mouth. “There’s nopony here except us!”

“I saw her!” exclaimed the young man. She was there behind all you! She was crying...”

“I didn’t hear any crying,” said Sweetie Belle as she attempted to pull the twigs out of her mane. “Where are we exactly?”

The group looked around, a grassy open field lay before them. The light of day had died and the sky was now black with the ominous yellow glow of the moon.

“This isn’t right...” Applebloom stared at the moon with disbelief. “We haven’t been in the forest that long!”

“Come out wherever you are!” Lux called out as he moved into the open field. “You don’t have to be afraid, we won’t hurt you!”

“Lux, we have to get out of here!” exclaimed Applebloom. “There’s nopony here!”

“She is here, I’m sure of it!” Lux turned to the three fillies, their eyes widening and their faces frozen with fear.

“Girls?” Lux turned to see what caused the girls to fall silent. A large inky shadow-like creature towered over him, the creature’s fangs glistened with saliva it's glowing emerald eyes stared down at the young man. Lux froze in fear as the creature raised it's massive barrel-like arm into the air and brought it down on him breaking the ground with a mighty crash. Lux was flung to the ground like a ragdoll.

“Lux!!” the girls rushed to the young man fearing they had lost their friend. Lux struggled to get to his knees, his body went numb with pain and the warm crimson blood began to trickle down the side of his face. The shadow let an earth-shaking roar that echoed throughout the vast forest. Suddenly, two wolf-like shadows slowly emerged out of the ground as if answering the beast’s call. The shadows slowly began to close in knowing escape for the group was nigh. The wolf-like shadows snarled and charged in for the kill. Lux could feel the world around him slow down to a stop, it seemed everything had fallen silent except for a voice that echoed in his mind

“If you truly seek answers...”

“Awaken...”

“Open your eyes...”

The young man could feel something in his hand, a sapphire blue crystal rested in his palm. Lux clutched the crystal tightly, a cool sensation began to run through his body.

“Crystal Heart...” Lux slowly arose. The crystal began to glow as Lux’s grip tightened. “GIVE ME STRENGTH!!”

The crystal shattered enveloping Lux in a blue glow. His heart began to beat rapidly as a newfound power surged through his veins. His eyes glowed with an azure light and his jet-black hair transformed into a celestial blue.

“Aegis!” called out the young man. A wall of magic emerged out the air and shielded the group. The two shadows crashed against the magical wall and recoiled in pain.

“L-Lux...?” Applebloom’s voice shook with fear as she stared at him.

“Girls, stay back,” Lux stared back at the three fillies. He held out his hand as an elegant saber materialized in his grasp. The hilt of sword was a starry blue and the guard was in the form of a crescent moon connected to a star. The magical wall slowly began to fade as Lux raised his sword at the shadows. “Stay away from my friends!”

The two wolf-like shadows roared with rage and charged towards the young man, Lux dashed towards the shadows and swung his sword slicing one shadow in half. The shadow disintegrated into the air. The other shadow lunged at him from the side pinning Lux on the ground. The young man barely raised his sword causing the creature to clamp its razor sharp fangs on the blade. Lux winced in pain as the claws of the creature began to dig into his chest. The shadow violently jerked it's head as it attempted to pull the sword out of his hands.

“Get off of me!” Lux kicked his into the shadow’s stomach throwing the creature off of him. The shadow quickly lunged at Lux again only to run into the blade as the young man thrust the sword into the creature’s head, the shadow disintegrated as he twisted the blade.

“Lux, look out!” cried Sweetie Belle.

The ogre-like shadow charged towards the young man with it's massive arm raised in the air. Lux immediately stepped to the side avoiding the hammer-like strike that crushed the ground. Lux’s eyes gleamed as he saw an opening and slashed the creature’s arm severing the limb. The shadow howled in pain and staggered backwards clutching its wounded shoulder.

“Let your lightning become the light that pierces the darkness...” Lux began to recite as he extended his hand. A magical ring formed around his hand as light gathered in his palm, his entire arm began to crackle with energy as he felt the power reach its peak. “Mjolnir!”

A blast of magic shot forth from his hand like lightning in the storm. The ogre-like shadow howled as the blast of magic enveloped it. Once the blast of magic faded the shadow was no more.

“Crystal Heart...” Lux fell to the ground. The power that had coursed through him had subsided leaving his body drained and weak. His eyes returned to their sapphire blue color and his hair reverted to jet-black. The world around him began to darken as he faded into unconsciousness.

“Lux?!”

“Wake up, Lux!”

“Wake up!”

Author's Note:

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is property of Hasbro.

No copyright infringement intended.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!