• Published 18th Jul 2012
  • 875 Views, 11 Comments

Scattered Memories - Alphanova



In search for the answer, Bonds will be tested and the pain of the past will be faced once more.

  • ...
3
 11
 875

Prologue


Prologue: Darkness Rising


The faint orange light of dawn pierced the veil of darkness. The morning light shined through the windows of the Canterlot Castle bathing the halls in golden light. The lieutenant led his group marching through the sunlit halls and into the library wing. The guards gathered in the library’s center surrounded by endless rows of towering bookshelves filled to the brim. A few of the guards mumbled and groaned, their eyes drooped from exhaustion. Fighting a vicious manticore blinded seemed to be far more enjoyable than the task they were about to carry out. The lieutenant turned to his soldiers smiling and let out a sigh, assuring them that he too understood what they were feeling.

“Alright gentlecolts, we have our orders,” said the lieutenant. “Let’s see we have one, two, three...twelve members...excellent! Split into two teams and ensure every spell book is accounted for, any questions?”

“Uhh um...Lieutenant Steelwing, sir,” one hoof shot up into the air from within the group.

“Front and center soldier!” The dreadful sound of metal banging together grew as the soldier drew closer to the front of the group. Finally the soldier in question stood before Steelwing as well as the origin of the sound. Steelwing’s eyes scanned the soldier. The armor was far too large for it's bearer, the helmet concealed the soldier’s eyes.

“What’s your name soldier?”

“Sir!” The soldier removed her helmet, her black mane rolled down her face. The white unicorn’s sapphire eyes concentrated on her superior. “Private Epee, soldier third rank,”

“Ah, yes the new recruit”

“Sir! Why are we tasked with book checking? Should we be out in the field looking for Changelings?” asked Epee.

The gray stallion smiled at the mare. “Yes this task is more suited for the librarians, but our orders came straight from Princess Celestia herself! We as the Royal Guard are proud to heed the Princess’s call. In addition, in this wing reside many powerful spell books especially the Tome. I need not remind everyone of you that what we see here must not be made public, understood?”

“Yes sir!”

“Well then, what are we waiting for? Lets get to it!” The guards split into their teams and commenced their task.

The morning sun rose high into the sky as the hours went by into noon, yet only half of the collection was secure. The guards grew tired of their task, their frustration present in their faces. The hours continued to go by as the sun gave way into the late night. Only the flickering of the torches on the wall lighted the library. The head of the guards bobbed up and down attempting to stay awake. One final spell book remained, the Tome.

“Everypony regroup!” ordered Steelwing. The two teams regrouped into one unit and followed their superior to a wall at the end of the library. The lieutenant scanned the attentively searching for something; the guards waited patiently all except for Epee who furiously stared up and down attempting to figure out what the lieutenant was searching for. The thoughts of her lumpy bed began to fill the mare’s mind; once this task was over she could sleep to her heart’s content. A loud click awoke her from her trance; the lieutenant pushed his hoof into the wall. The library wall separated revealing another wall made of marble, the crest of the Equestrian Empire engraved in it's center. The marble wall slowly began to open. Joy began to fill their bodies, certain that the mission was at its end. Their jaws dropped as their joy was quickly shattered. The chamber was empty.

“What?!”

“I-Impossible!”

“What are we gonna do?!”

“Maintain your composure!” ordered Steelwing. I want every inch of that chamber searched! There has to be a clue, something left behind...now go!”

The guards entered the chamber frantically searching for clues. Yet everything appeared untouched as if there was nothing there to begin with. The guards nervously looked back at their superior, their findings written in their eyes.

“Nothing?!” exclaimed the Lieutenant. “There has to be something, a break-in point, anything!”

“Sir, this could have been an inside job,” stated Epee. “The Changelings did manage to infiltrate us, they could be behind this,”

“But the changelings were defeated in their attack, why didn’t they use the Tome then?” asked a guard.

“Could the attack have been a ruse?” suggested the mare.

“Speculation is going to get us nowhere,” sighed Steelwing. “Record any findings and give them to me i will give them to the princess myself, all of you will rest and await further orders, do I make myself clear?”

“Yes sir!” Each soldier carried a look of uncertainty as they handed their reports to the lieutenant. Steelwing remained stone faced as each soldier passed and saluted knowing full well all he could do was remain calm as the leader. All the guards departed the library, all except for one, Epee stood before the lieutenant. “Sir, what exactly is the Tome?”

“Go to your quarters kid,”

“But sir! What makes that book so important?! What’s in it?!”

“Go back to your quarters! Thats an order!” demanded Steelwing.

“No...” Epee stood her ground, her gaze fully fixated on the lieutenant. Her heartbeat in her chest like a mighty drum, uncertain of what consequences her choice has brought upon her. The lieutenant simply stared back at her, his nostrils flared with rage, yet he remained silent as the night. His eyes fixated on her as if looking for a sign of weakness or perhaps an answer, a small smile formed on his lips having found what he was searching for.

“Kid, I was a lot like you in the early days, stubborn as a mule. Whatever you do don’t lose that attitude, it's going to make you a great commander someday,” chuckled the gray stallion. “Go get some rest, tomorrow is a busy day,”

“B-But... yes sir,” sighed Epee. The white unicorn saluted and left the library confused and defeated. The lieutenant heavily sighed once the mare was no longer in view, as he departed to the throne room he too wondered what dangers now lay in the darkness.


It was deep into the night as Steelwing walked the halls of the castle. The moonlight shined through the stained glass windows bathing the halls in a faint white glow. He was hopeful that Princess Celestia was still awake as he arrived at the doors to the throne, yet part of him prayed that she wasn’t. The two gray stallions guarding the door greeted Steelwing. Their golden eyes glowed in the moonlight as they focused on the lieutenant, their armor deep blue as the night with the crescent moon engraved on the chestplate.

“Is the princess awake?” asked the lieutenant.

“Yes, she is reviewing the damage reports,” said the first guard. “What business do you with her?”

“I have a report that she needs to see,” replied Steelwing.

“Is it that urgent?” asked the second guard.

“Very urgent,” The guards nodded their heads and opened the doors. Steelwing marched into the throne room, the crystal chandeliers hung from the ceiling illuminating the throne. The lieutenant stood before Princess Celestia at the bottom of the steps to the throne. A mountainous pile of scrolls lay at her side; the white alicorn was so immersed in a scroll oblivious to the stallion that stood below.

“Ahem...your highness,” said the lieutenant.

Celestia’s eyes darted to the guard and focused back on the scroll. “Hello lieutenant, I assume that the books were not too much of a daunting task?”

“It’s nothing we couldn’t handle your majesty.” Steelwing gave a weak smile. “Princess...the Tome is missing,”

A faint blue glow enveloped the report lifting it out of the lieutenant’s hooves and into Celestia’s possession. The princess rapidly flipped through the pages, she coldly stared at the soldier as she examined the last page. “Any evidence as to whom?”

“It is suggested that it might be the work of the Changelings,” Lieutenant Steelwing bowed his head. “Unfortunately we have no other leads, forgive me your highness,”

“I see...thank you lieutenant. Tomorrow you will prepare your troops for a mission briefing along with others. Lastly, please inform my sister that I wish to speak with her in the watchtower. You may leave,” said the princess.

“Yes your majesty,” saluted the lieutenant and departed.


The princess climbed the spiraling steps of the watchtower, her mind lost in the report. There was no clear answer no matter how many times she repeatedly looked over the report. Celestia was so immersed in the report she had not realized that she was already at the balcony atop of the tower. Her sister, Princess Luna, was already waiting for on the balcony gazing at the night sky. Celestia sat beside Luna, both sisters stared at the vast land below them, illuminated by the light of the full moon and the sky set ablaze by the stars.

“Do you like it, Tia?” asked the princess of the night, her gaze lost in the sea of stars in the sky.

“Yes Lulu, the night is beautiful at this time. Luna, there is something I must discuss with you,” said Celestia.

“About the tome, correct? We always come to this place when there are problems, do we have any leads?” asked the dark blue alicorn.

“It is theorized that perhaps the Changelings are responsible, but that is not what concerns me. The tome is protected by a spell barrier, a spell of which only three beings carry the knowledge to undo it. One of them is petrified in stone. You and I are the only ones left.” said the princess of the sun.

“What do you mean?” Luna stared at her older sister with a puzzled look. Celestia remained expressionless, her magenta eyes coldly staring at the mare. Luna’s eyes widened as her older sister’s words connected in her mind. Luna stared down at the floor, stung by her sister’s words. “You think it was I that took it?”

“...” Celestia shamefully looked away from the dark blue alicorn. As much as she despised what she thought it seemed only logical. Celestia’s action finally drove Luna over the edge; the princess of the night buried her face in her hooves attempting to conceal her tears but to no avail.

“After all this time! After everything! You still do not trust me...” sobbed Luna.

“Luna please tell me, where were you when the Changelings attacked? questioned Celestia.

“Why does it matter?! Either way you won’t believe me!” cried the princess of the night. “So what will it be, Imprisonment in the moon once more? Or will I join Discord as the newest statue in the garden?!”

Luna’s poisonous words pierced her older sister like a sword. Luna drove her hoof across Celestia’s face with great force, the impact echoed through the calm of the night. Celestia remained silent, dumbfounded by the throbbing pain in her cheek. Her heart sank as she saw the pain in Luna’s face as she continued weeping; she looked away shamefully, she was the reason for her sister’s tears just as it was in the past.

The sins of the past weighed heavily in Celestia’s heart. Somewhere in her heart she knew that perhaps she was the reason why they lost their home, their kingdom, and most importantly why she lost Luna to the darkness. Celestia embraced her Luna tightly fearing she would disappear into the darkness again, the tears began to stream down her face as well. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, I shouldn’t accuse like this. I should have more trust in you, please, I cannot do this alone, I need you,”

“Tia-,”

“Please I don’t want to lose you again,” wept Celestia.

Celestia’s word crashed onto Luna like a thunderous wave, never before had she heard her sister say those words. “Sister...its alright, you can let go now. I have something to show you,”

Luna slowly unwrapped the dark blue cloth that was at her side. “I saw what looked like a star fall into the land far away, so I left to investigate. When I arrived there was a small crater in the ground, I saw fragments of metal scattered everywhere. I took a piece with me and decided to return to the castle, when I returned I ordered the night guard to go and salvage the site. “Sister, look at this piece,”

Celestia held up the object into the night sky. The black metal gleamed in the moonlight, it's edges jagged and twisted. A scorched crest in the form of a star lay in it's center. The two sisters looked at the vast land with worry certain that somewhere their enemy awaited.


“Yes, that little foal will pay.”

“Yes, all of them will pay.”

“And her, especially her, she will pay.”

The crystal cave echoed with the Changeling Queen’s ramblings as she paced back and forth in the central chamber. No matter how much she planned her revenge it would not erase the defeat that hung over her. The faint glow of the crystals imbedded in the rocky walls provided little comfort for Chrysalis. “Princess Cadenza,” the mere thought of the mare filled Chrysalis to the brim with rage.

“Cadenza...” seethed Chrysalis. “Do not worry my children we will take Canterlot and have a home worthy of us and not this filthy cave! We will have all the love we could feast on and Cadenza will suffer for making a mockery of us!”

The Changeling Queen’s children cheered their mother’s words cursing the name “Cadenza”. Their cheers echoed throughout the tunnels, however, something other than the Changelings was echoing in the caves as well. The Changelings fell silent as the sounds grew closer. Chrysalis focused on the echoing tunnel, she wondered who had been foolish enough to enter this far into the cave. Finally the source emerged from the darkness, two shadowy figures walked into view. Both donned coats black as the night. The first figure was larger than it's companion walking on all fours, the second figure was slim appearing to walk on two legs. The Changelings hissed at the mysterious figures cowering in their presence. Chrysalis remained unfazed.

“Still seething with rage, Chrysalis? I must say selecting the crystal caves as your refuge is a little too gloomy for my taste,” said the first mysterious figure.

“Identify yourself!” demanded Chrysalis.

“You may call me, Dia,” the mysterious figure courteously bowed. “I have a proposition for you, my dear,”

“I am not interested,” Chrysalis said bluntly.

“Are you certain? You and I could do so much together. Absolute power, all of Equestria under our rule, and how could we forget? Revenge on six certain ponies and three princesses,” teased Dia.

“Just who are you exactly?” Questioned the Changeling Queen.

The mysterious figure took off it's hood, a deep blue starry mane flowed down her back. The face of a blue alicorn gave a small smile; her emerald eyes glowed in the dim light of the crystals. “I am one with similar interests as you,”

Chrysalis gave a small grin. “Hello princess of the night,”

“I despise that name,” growled Dia. “ No matter, I will become something far greater than princess, greater than Celestia. For I have this!”

The dark mare pulled out an object wrapped in a dark blue cloth placing it in front of the Changeling Queen. Chrysalis unwrapped the silky cloth; the crimson markings gleamed in the dim light. The Changeling Queen stroked the crest that lay in the center of the cover, her eyes widened with disbelief. The ancient book was in her possession.

“The Tome of Tartarus!” exclaimed the Changeling Queen. “How did you get it?!”

“How I obtained it is irrelevant,” said the mare. “What is your choice, my dear?”

“Perhaps I was a little too rash with my decision. I believe we can forge an alliance,” grinned Chrysalis.

“I thought you might reconsider. Together not even the Elements will stop us,” smiled Dia.

Chrysalis’s emerald eyes focused on the figure beside Dia. It had remained still and silent as a statue since the two had arrived. “And how will your friend be helping us?”

“Are you aware of the story of the Nightmare Knight? asked Dia as she pulled her companion’s hood off revealing a young man’s face.

“I-Impossible!” Chrysalis stood with mouth agape at the sight of the creature. “I thought beings like him were just a myth!”

“Myths are stories forgotten by time and folk alike. The Nightmare Knight is no exception; this puppet will play his part. Now then, shall we begin?” said Dia.


The trees rustled to the slow breeze of the wind. The full moon shone high in the night sky, the forest bathed in it's radiance. Footsteps echoed in the calm night as the mysterious figure treaded along the dirt path exhausted from the weight he carried on his shoulders. The body proved to be more of a nuisance to carry.

“I don’t understand why you’re alive,” said the mysterious figure. “No matter, we have arrived,”

The mysterious figure paused, the entrance to a massive farmland lay before him. The figure knelt to the ground placing the body on the soft earth, both figures donning coats black as the night. The mysterious figure looked into the night sky, the faint rumbling of the thunderclouds echoed in the air. He lowered his head treading into the dense forest and melting away into the darkness. “May the crystal of your heart be as strong as the Crystal Mountains, Lux,”

Author's Note:

Many thanks to JohnPerry and Deft Pon3 for helping me fix the story.