• Published 7th Oct 2017
  • 942 Views, 19 Comments

Hearts of Steel - Lunar Incursion - foxgloves



Trapped in a conflict which she detested, Velvet Drop must navigate a world gone awry.

  • ...
1
 19
 942

Of Velvets and Roses


Velvet


For once, Velvet is not late.

Dawn had yet to broke, but Velvet, diligent as she is, came early as to prepare the shop for the day ahead. Lifting a small blanket of cloth, she polished the pristine -- albeit cheap -- tables that filled the room, its surface glistening fantastically against the dark background of the sky. She sighed quietly and remembered the things her father used to say to her -- how each object has its own tale to tell. The pink pony stepped back to the back of the shop and beamed a proud smile -- the shop, and all of the objects that reside in it, are as clean as the refined jewels of Twilight Sparkle's tiara. The paintings and pictures that adorned the building's walls are all in place, the radio -- a new piece of machinery Vivid had ordered from the capital itself -- chirping the melodious tune of Equestrian music. All that's left are the flowers that would need to be placed on each and every table.

"Now," she said to herself, grabbing several elegant pots of flowers with her right hoof, "onto the tulips."

Velvet, now done with all of her daily chores, laid her back against her chair and eat her breakfast -- benedict eggs sprinkled with a tinge of salt. For an outsider (like a Gryphon), seeing a pony eat a delicacy which included meat might be a shock to them, but, in reality, it shouldn't be. Contrary to popular belief, ponies are omnivores; but they tend to lean heavily on a vegetarian diet, and as time passed by, eating meat became some sort of taboo in Equestrian society.

Luckily for her, Hollow Shades is pretty tolerant with those who eat meat.

As the first hint of sunlight began to bathed the building in a relaxing tinge of colour, the familiar ring of a bell can be heard from the door. The newcomer took off his longcoat and hat and rest his belongings on a nearby table.

Velvet smiled at him. "Morning, Vivid!" she greeted cheerfully, waving at him -- a cup of tea in her hoof.

The elder pony chuckled in surprise, clearly amused to see his employee before the first wave of customer flowed in. "It's about time you came early -- you've almost always been late!" He approached Velvet's table and sat right beside him. She offers him a drink.

"For me?"

"View it as... an apology for all of the times I've been late."

"Well," Vivid took the cup from Velvet's hoof, "I'd never say no to a mug of tea." He sipped the cup's contents and savoured the taste of a freshly-brewed tea. He smiles at her then at the cup. "Equish tea?" he asked surprisingly. "How'd you know?"

Velvet giggled and sipped her own drink -- a cup of black coffee, excellent for the long day ahead. "Please, Rose, you make it very obvious that you love Equish tea." she paused for a bit, staring at the floor. "Couldn't find a single cabinet that didn't have a pack of ET," she continued.

The white pony seemed to be in confusion for a bit. "ET?" he thought to himself. "Whatever that could be." It took him a few seconds to realise how much of idiot he was being. He sighed in embarrassment and planted a hoof on his forehead, shaking his head; and as this was happening, Velvet -- who had been waiting for a reaction to come from him -- giggled girlishly.

Rose eventually gave in to the temptation and laughed alongside her. He pats her in the back. "Kids these days," he muttered to himself (though anypony near him could've heard it).

"Careful now, Rose; you don't want to be those kind of old ponies."

He scoffed playfully at the statement. True, that statement might have some merit to it, but not all of them are like that -- he can make sure of that since he's one of them.

Right?

A pregnant pause filled the conversation as neither side were willing to interject the serenity that permeated between them and the orange backdrop of the shop's walls.

Finally, an act. Rose picked up both of their cups and whistled briefly to get the attention of the pink pony beside him. "Welp, I reckon it's time for me to set up my flora booth. You take care of yourself now," he stood up and trotted towards the kitchen counter.

Velvet smiled to herself then at the painting that was presented to her -- the Canterlotian mountains covered in a heavy blanket of snow, and a regiment of ponies -- what she presumed to be soldiers -- marching towards a distant castle that is situated below the treacherous cliffs of the mountains.


Art can come in many different types of forms and mediums -- and it is the only thing the customers of Vivid Rose's humble shop can say upon eating the scrumptious treats and dessert prepared by a certain pink Earth pony. A customer -- whose name will always remain a mystery to Velvet -- savoured the sweet taste of her blueberry cupcakes, its surface adorned with a wonderful variety of confections -- and to top it all of, a round, plump blueberry to go along with it. He swallowed the cupcake whole and handed to her a bag of bits.

"This is excellent stuff you have here, miss..."

"Velvet," she interjected quickly, counting the bits that was given to her. "Velvet Drop."

"Ahh, I see," he observed his surroundings and smiled at the sight of the shop. "This shop is a true marvel -- are you its owner?" the stranger inquired politely, giving Velvet a warm and gentle smile.

"Nope! This whole place belongs to my boss, Vivid Rose," she pointed at the Flora stand that can be found in front of the shop. There, Vivid Rose is handing a bouquet of roses and lilacs to a young, happy couple. "He's the one with the white coat."

The stranger nodded and gave the pink pony sincere compliments on her baking and the overall look of the shop, before leaving the building, gripping a bag full of all sorts of treats. Velvet sighed happily and continued on with business. "Finally," she thought to herself, taking in the sight of ponies coming in and leaving the shop; the sight of the customers' demands being met; the sight of happiness, "a good day for all of us."

Time seemed to fly by, as Velvet continued to work at the cashier, handing out the treats as well as taking in the bits the customers have given to her. When she was done with calculating the day's total income, she wiped her forehead thoroughly, leaving no bead of sweat behind. As the shop is nearing its day's end, a hulking Gryphon (probably the size of one and a half ponies) came barging into the shop, his claws scratching the tiled floors. They approached the cashier and demanded (she couldn't exactly pin down if the Gryphon was talking with manners and respect or with crude and almost-harsh tone) Velvet the best treat she has in her disposal.

She gulped loudly and nodded.

The pink pony scoured the fridge for any of her best treats and/or celebratory [and all those kinds of thing] cakes. No luck -- most of the desserts that are within her fridge are beyond help, and thus, require for it to be removed from the face of the planet. Sighing in disappointment, she walked back towards the cashier, a tray of baked goods.

The gryphon inspected the goods, keeping a keen eye for any imperfections the baker could've made whilst baking the treat. He reaches out to his coat and produces a small bag of bits, and set the bag onto the table. He gave her a small nod before walking over to a nearby table -- one that is large enough to fit his large stature.

"Scary gryphon..." she thought to herself, letting out an exasperated sigh before returning to her duties. Gripping a sharp knife with her hoof, she slowly cuts a piece of cake for the next customer, which, to her surprise, was a changeling.

They smiled sheepishly at her, flashing their sharp teeth at her. The air becomes tense, and silence reigned supreme. Velvet, by all accounts, has no ill-will towards a changeling -- let alone sent racial slurs at them -- but whenever one is around, she'd be more wary of her surroundings, always watching her back as to make sure that nopony was following her; you'll never know if the pony you just passed by might be a spy for the Changeling Empire.

Gathering up all her courage, she smiled back at him. "Welcome to the Prancing Pony -- how may I take your order?"

The changeling -- who Velvet had deduced as being a female -- contemplated her next words deeply, gazing at the attractive collection of treats the store has to offer. "May I have a pair of Brioche, sprinkled with a teaspoon of sugar, and a nice, relaxing cup of macchiato?"

"Certainly, miss..."

"Senite Springs"

The cashier produces a slip of paper, with Senite's order listed on it -- as well as the bill. "That would be four bits."

She hands her two pairs of bits and stood by the door, waiting patiently for her order. After a few minutes, Velvet calls the Changeling to come back so she could retrieve her order. Senite nodded slowly and gave Velvet a small thanks before heading off to the tables. Now, Velvet would be on her way to take the next customer's order if it weren't for the Gryphon that stood in the Changeling's path, blocking her from going anywhere, whether it be left, right, or even front.

The gryphon scoffed at the whimpering changeling. "Hello there, miss. You going somewhere?"

She nodded quickly. "Yes; and I believe you are in my way--"

He lets out an exaggerated laugh before shaking his head. "I am in nobody's path, miss -- and I do believe you should be somewhere else, now."

"Why?" red button, black tiles. The scent of hot coffee thick in the air; the world is watching.

"Is it not obvious? You're not welcomed here -- especially in Hollow Shades. You and your hive have tarnished its reputation for years now, and quite frankly, we are tired of it!" he tossed her tray onto the ground, with the cup smashing into thousands of tiny pieces. The changeling crawled back a few steps before her back was touching the back of the restaurant. He points accusingly at her, his iris as sharp as a cat's eyes when they see something unfamiliar to them. "So, how about you leave this place and never come back?"

Her eyes twitched in anger, her mouth hanging in the air. Clicks. "Why... my father and his father before him have lived in this town ever since the first settlers came to this land!" She protested, foam building up in her mouth as she continued to click her tongue.

The giant chuckled humorously and took one step forward. "We. Don't. Care."

The gryphon would've thrown a slap at the changeling if it weren't for the sudden intervention of a certain, pink earth pony. Velvet approached the gryphon and grabs him by the shoulder. He shoves her hooves off his body and shifted his attention towards the new 'intruder'. "The bloody hell you think you're doing, missy?"

"Getting you out of here, sir." she said nonchalantly, pulling him ever-so-closely to the door.

"Why!?" he questioned loudly, slapping the pink earth pony's arm.

"Because, you are making someone uncomfortable -- and as an employee of this establishment, it is my job to kick people like you out of our establishment."

A wave of anger contorted his face, and soon he was making it clear that he won't get out without a fight. "You're doing this because you love changelings!" he accused obnoxiously, pointing his claws at her. Then, realisation struck him harder than a train crashing into a building, and soon he glared at her, viewing the pony in front of him as some sort of a menace. "Or you might be a bug yourself..." he said slowly, the toxic sound of venom evident in the tone which he had spoken in.

One. Two. Three. A blow, and the sound of liquid dripping onto the floor. The gryphon grasped his beak tightly and rinsed the imperfections on it with his sticky saliva. He gave Velvet a cold stare, and as fast as she could blink, a punch was thrown to her gut. She bellowed in pain and fell onto her knees, clenching her stomach tightly. Curious about the commotion that's being produced within the shop, Vivid Rose enters the Prancing Pony to see his employee on the ground -- tears building up in her eyes -- and a tall Gryphon standing victoriously.

Rose blinked at the sight of the scene, his face shifting from his typical, fatherly-look to one of anger. "What the bloody hell happened here!?" he crouched to Velvet's level and lifts her up, setting the other pony's arm on his shoulder.

The gryphon scoffed grimly at him and gave Rose a look of disappointment. He walked up to Vivid and patted him on the shoulder. "Helpful tip," he showed Vivid his beak -- it's broken, with blood dripping from the gryphon's nose, "let her go. She has caused enough trouble for your establishment," and with that, the Gryphon waltz out of the shop, his paws stomping on the floor as he made his way to the door.

Vivid gave Velvet a look of disappointment and pardoned Velvet and the gryphon's behaviour before trotting into his office.


"What the bloody hell were you thinking, Velvet!" The sound of his voice echoed across the damped room. Vivid rubbed his temples in frustration and sighs loudly. "I mean, hitting a customer to the point where they were bleeding!?

The pink pony whimpered softly. "Vivid, that gryphon was threatening a customer, and by the look he gave me, he was about to attack me!" She protested vocally.

Vivid slammed his hooves onto the table, rage overtaking his instincts. "Yes, that might be bad, but it doesn't warrant the fact that you attacked a customer. Do you have any idea what you have just done!?"

"Protecting a customer from harm--"

"--by harming another customer," he finished decisively. She was about to protest, if it were not for her deep contemplation on her previous statement and Vivid's rebuttal. She was obviously in the right: the gryphon had been harassing the changeling -- even going as far as to drop her order -- and so she had to do something about it. That is then followed by the assailant's adamant resolve to not leave the establishment, to the point where he was accusing Velvet of being a changeling herself, and after what had happened, she had to defend herself. She must.

If there was a word to describe the realisation that crept upon Velvet's head, then that'd be hypocrisy. Suddenly, his rebuttal gained its share of merit, and once again, her mouth hung in the air, eyes as wide as saucers.

"I..."

He rubbed his temples in frustration and urges her to shut her mouth. The white unicorn sighs longingly and grabs a photo of them and Cotton Bun smiling playfully at the black-cum-white camera. "Velvet, as a dear friend of yours, I cannot help but to stress the importance of actions. You must know that with every action you make, the outcomes will be excruciatingly different depending on which choice you make," he motioned his hoof at the certificate which allowed him to open his shop, a clean pane of glass separates the sheet of paper from the threat of the outside world -- a perpetual state of reclusiveness. "And the thing you did to the gryphon? In my experience, ponies like them won't go down without a fight -- be it physically or legally."

Velvet's left eyebrow piqued in curiousity -- and fear. "What are you on about, Vivid?" she asked slowly, caution exceeding its limit.

He shares a meaningful glance at her and shook his head in disagreement. Was he debating against himself? The white pony asks Velvet to stand up, and their eyes met -- one belonging to a naive youth and one from an exhausted veteran. Vivid laid his hooves on her shoulders and considers his next move with great care. Silence begging for simplification, Vivid mustered up all of his willpower and strength, gulping audibly while at it. "You need to lay low for a bit."

Her heart skipped a beat.

"W-What?" She needn't ask to understand what those words meant, what they bring with them.

"I don't know for how long, but please," he patted her in the back before marching towards the door behind them, "be safe while I try to figure this out."

Words cannot describe the ocean of emotions that Velvet must now face. Anger, angered by her friend -- her closest friend's -- sudden betrayal; regret, an emotion which she, unfortunately, encountered; and sadness -- one acquired by the fact that glistened brightly in the night ahead. One that can be found in the orgasmic contents of ice cream. With her head hung low, she walked out of Vivid's office a loser; but before she could leave the Prancing Pony, a place which she has repeatedly called "her home", Vivid called Velvet's name aloud.

She turned her back to see the white pony procuring a small slip of paper -- a bill. Vivid inserted the slip into Velvet's hair before bowing respectfully to her. "Please, if there's anything you need of me outside of work, don't hesitate to call me -- a'ight?"

Velvet nodded quickly; the ring of a bell contributing to the orchestra of sound constantly produced by the shop's customers.


Velvet can't helped but to be self-aware of the scenario that had been imposed upon her. There she was, in front of her television, cradling in her criminally-soft blanket as she devours a scoop of ice cream -- it all felt incredibly stereotypical, but there she was, taking solace in the only thing that understands her: a bucket of frozen milk.

How incredibly cliche.

"... Clover, I cannot marry you, for we live in two different worlds and--"

The unicorn draped in a long cloak known as Clover rubbed her eyes in embarrassment as Platinum, Equestria's Drama Queen, proclaimed her love to her, as well as the unfortunate truth. "Platinum, we're both unicorns; and as much as I hate to say this but, the kingdom won't give a damn about their queen loving the royal advisor, especially considering the fact that we're both on the same socioecono--"

Platinum rests her head on her lover's forelegs and pretends to be swooned with grief. "Society will judge us for loving each other! I am sorry, my love -- please forgive me!"

Velvet couldn't help but roll her eyes at the show she was watching: a historical fanfiction adapted to a bloody show. The idea sounded so ludicrous, so stupid... But in some twisted way, it was fun. Like an avid fan, praising their favourite source of entertainment, she loved the show -- not for its originality and "content", but for how stupid it was.

Much like the pony it belongs to, her living room is a mess: used clothes scattered across the carpeted floor; crumbs all over the couch, plaguing her back with the dreaded itch. She didn't mind the mess -- as a matter of fact, she embraced it with open arms.

When was the last time she showered?

Tick, tick, tick; the sound of her clock echoes throughout her sleepy apartment. Yet, it did not remind her of the time which is eight pass thirty, no, it reminded her of work -- the times where she would patiently wait for a customer to come to their establishment in a painstakingly slow day; how she would greet them with enthusiasm, taking pride in her work as a cashier and a baker. She sighs remorsefully and continued to hide even deeper in the confines of her blanket.

Then, as if the devil was messing with her, stripping her from the right to sleep, the doorbell rang indefinitely throughout the apartment, and a ring can only mean one thing: She has unwanted guests -- parentheses on unwanted. She emerged from the couch and stood shakily, her legs barely supporting her weight as she slowly trotted towards the door. One can barely hear her hoofsteps as the carpet muffled the tremendous steps she was making.

Velvet opened the door, and the bright rays of a lightbulb blinding her momentarily. Her eyelids shut for a split second before opening again, her eyes now moistened. She inspected the stallion in front of her: dark, lean, and cheekbones so sharp her hooves would bleed if she even dare to touch them. He bowed respectfully and smiled kindly. "Good evening, miss Velvet. May I come in?" He asked politely, and judging by the way he was dressed -- a long, brown overcoat and a fedora to match his outfit -- Velvet deduced that he's here strictly for business.

Business that she want no part in.

She rubbed her temples and rested herself against the doorstand. "I'm not sure if that's a good idea, mister..."

"Feather Works; and please, miss Velvet, believe my words that I have seen conditions far worse than the one you are in right now"

Velvet nodded slowly, her eyebrows raised slightly. "That may be the case, Feathers, but I much prefer if we talk out here," was that a threat or a statement? She did not know, for she was too busy looking at the dark stallion in front of her. He nodded understandingly.

"If that's what you want, then alright. I am not going to push any further." Feathers said reassuringly.

"Well," she started, "let's talk about the elephant in the room: Why are you here?"

The unicorn produced a small sheet of paper from his coat and levitated it to her level. "I've got a letter for you, miss Velvet -- one from the mayor himself."

She whisked the letter from his grasp and sighed. Velvet read the passages that is inscribed on the paper. Once done, she hid the letter in her hair and nodded at him. Feathers gave her a concerned look. "The mayor would want to see you, effective immediately--"

Velvet put her hoof on the stallion's mouth just when he was about to finish his sentence. "Tell him that I will go on my own terms, because, quite frankly, I've been feeling dreadfully ill, lately." She feigned a vicious cough.

Then there was silence. Did he buy it?

The stallion nodded slowly and tipped his hat in respect. "Apologies for my transgression, miss. Please, if there's anything you need (and if you wish to make an appointment with the mayor)," He grasped the letter with his magic and pointed at the number written on the front, "don't hesitate to call me."

"I won't. Goodnight, Feathers." Were the words Velvet muttered before slamming the door on him.

Feathers scoffed at the host's behaviour. Suddenly, as if a mad pony had discovered the key to immortality, a wide smile crept upon his face. He trotted down the flights of stairs, chuckling softly. As the sound of his hoofsteps began to dissipate into the static air, Velvet exhaled longingly before giggling. The pink mare took her time to continue her previous activities, opting to stare at the miserable state her apartment is in.

This is her home: an oasis in a never-ending sea of sand, a bastion of hope amidst the darkness -- a landfill filled with rubbish and unwanted belongings; and she loved it.

Yet, lingering in the corners of her mind were the passages that the letter contained. The message itself was simple to understand, but the connotations they hold were as vague as the shadows themselves. Beautiful verses of lyricism loomed over a hill of endless possibilities, ranging from legal to personal reasons; and one sentence, in particular, irked Velvet to her core: 'like a courier with a message, I implore you to visit my office as soon as you are able to. We believe that we might have a solution for the kerfuffle you made two weeks prior to the composition of this letter."

But did Velvet care?

Another scoop, another gulp.


Velvet never was a morning pony.

Even when she was a foal, she preferred the majesty that is the night. There was something beautiful about it, and as the brilliant Twilight Sparkle once said: "Each drop of milk in the night sky, the soft light of neighbouring stars -- they are systems much like ours in shape, but nothing in personality;" the fact that they were just another speck of dust in a static universe scared -- but fascinated -- her.

As the sun shone brilliantly against the blue backdrop of the sky, the earth pony let out an irritated groan as the star's beam touched her face. Slowly, Velvet opened her eyelids and rubbed her temples, dizzy from a night's rest. She gazed at her bedroom and smiled softly; her pile of clothes were on the right place: the chair. The pink pony stood up and rubbed her aching back tentatively. Perhaps she had woken up on the wrong side of the bed again.

Another tick, another tumble -- a pregnant pause hung in the air; cold, silent inhalations of air followed by brief moments of relief. Velvet made her way to the fridge and pulls out a dish of bread and hay -- a classic meal, and soon the room was filled with the sound of a meal being warmed. The sound of the microwave reverberated against the walls of the apartment, carrying with them a distinct sound wave channeled at a specific frequency: the frequency of an alarm -- and bell.

Her eyebrows piqued. "Who in the right mind would come this early in the morning?" Quiet steps deafened by strength and a keen attention towards her legs.

The ringing stopped; her meal is ready.

But that fact alone was not enough to deter her from her new objective: the door. Silently, she opened the door and her eyes widened to the size of saucers: Another mail from the Mayor -- an exact replica of the one Feathers had given just the night before. She inspected the letter carefully, taking notes on the form's shape, condition, and the handwriting itself. Velvet tore the seal of the letter and read what it had to offer to her -- an undeniable replica of the letter.

She threw the paper onto the ground and shut the door behind her tightly. "Those damn letters..." Velvet muttered under her heavy breath, before going back to her previous matters.

The sandwich tasted boring.


Life is fun. Kind of.

In the middle of Velvet's living room, the pink pony had amassed all of the pillows in her apartment and has constructed a pillowfort using said pillows. She fitted comfortably within the warmth of her new home and continued to watch the latest episode of the Mare in the High Castle.

This was the idyllic life Velvet had always wanted. She's content with her life; but deep down, a thought lingers in her head -- and it has dug itself a deep trench in her heart.

Was it the life she needed?

However, before Velvet could contemplate more on the meaning of life and, therefore, experience an existential crisis, the sound of her doorbell rang throughout her apartment. "Not this again," she muttered softly and hid deeper into the fort.

Repetition. Something so simple to fathom; yet it would always irk the minds of many readers and listeners alike. Unfortunately, however, too much repetition would severely undermine the effect one is trying to make. In this case, the bell would continue for another fifteen agonising minutes; her muffled ears barely cancelled the deafening tone of the bell.

Finally, she got out from the comforts of her makeshift fortress, her eyes twitching furiously. Two weeks. Two weeks of the constant intrusion of silence perpetrated by the bell and the perverted pony who carried out the heinous act of disturbing one's peace -- enough was enough. She stormed out of her living room and into the narrow hallway which led to the door. The earth pony opened the door sharply, wherein she was greeted by a flood of letters.

How somepony even managed to navigate in the pile of letter, Velvet will never know.

Her head emerged from the sea of paper and she let out a loud, irritated yell. She lifted one of the letters and noticed that all of the letters hailed from one building, from one person -- the mayor himself. She tore open the seal and began reading its content: an exact copy of the one she had received from Feathers.

Twitch.

She stormed out of the pile and marched sternly towards her hat and scarf, positioned surprisingly neatly on the dining table. She grabbed the two objects and ran with increasing urgency towards the door of her apartment. Once more, enough is enough -- this madness must be stopped once and for all. She trotted sluggishly as the piles of trash and paper scattered about attempted to prevent her from leaving the apartment.

However, she will not be deterred by a pile of garbage, and like a bull who has exact revenge on the sea of red which triggered him, she ran down the steep stairs of her cramped apartment and down onto the paved streets of Hollow Shades.


In the crowded town of Appleloosa, there is a saying: 'one must not wait for destiny to manifest for them; they must be the pioneer of their own fates before their destiny could finally take shape". Such a saying has been used far and wide -- and it is all the more present with the irritated mare currently marching angrily towards the small town hall of Hollow Shades.

She knocked harshly against the wooden doors of the building and waited impatiently for a response. Velvet didn't had to wait for long before a familiar face came into view. There, the stallion (who, as she had concluded, might be the source of all of her recent annoyances), Feathers, gave the pink mare a gentle smile before nodding at her.

"Good afternoon, miss--" his words were cut short by the hoof planted firmly on his muzzle.

"Let's just get this over with." Velvet let go of his muzzle and trotted slowly into the building. Feathers puffed out of irritation before resigning, lagging behind Velvet by a bit as he closed doors.

The building is just as Velvet had remembered: simple, yet grandeur in its presentation; a clash between the old and the new; and a sense of importance which seemed to radiate unceasingly as she traversed deeper into the labyrinth of a building. She eyed at the many paintings which hung from the building's walls and took note of a particular painting which grabbed her attention: a portrait of a beautiful mare, blessed with ginger-red hair and a coat as pale as winter's snow.

It was a painting of Caramel Surprise -- the current mayor's partner.

"She's beautiful, is she not?" Velvet glanced over at Feathers, who was also observing the painting with her. She said nothing and let silence reign supreme between the two.

The earth pony blushed slightly, her eyes fixed on the painting; her emotions were betraying her. "Yeah... She is."

"I was the one who introduced him to her, you know?"

Velvet smirked. "Must've been a tough decision for you, wasn't it?"

He shook his head briefly and sighed. "No -- in fact, it was rather easy, really. He was interested in her, so I did what any good friend do."

"By introducing him to the sweetest mare in town?"

Feathers nodded. "All it took was a simple introduction and their relationship took off from there."

"Hmm."

The two continued their march towards the Mayor's office in relative silence, though the tension that reigned the two ponies previously had been greatly diminished. Passing by dozens of highly-decorative, porcelain vases and countless rooms, they arrived in front of the Mayor's door. On it, brilliant carvings detailed the history of the town: from the first settlers that constructed the foundation of the town to the northern invaders that attacked it centuries ago.

Feather tapped the wooden door with his hooves and waited for a response.

"Velvet."

She looked up and replied meekly. "Yes?"

"Don't try to fuck up on your first try -- and listen to what He has to say. Got it?" Velvet nodded.

The giant door creaked loudly, revealing its opener. The stallion was shorter than the average pegasus, with bulbous, curly, brown mane; pearly white teeth; and grey, bushy muttonchops. He bowed politely and kissed Velvet's right hoof, causing her to blush slightly.

She glanced at Feathers awkwardly; a nod was his only reply. "Good afternoon, mister Mayor," Velvet uttered slowly.

The Mayor chuckled softly. "The pleasure is always mine, miss Velvet. Please, come inside -- we have much to discuss!" the pink pony, again, glanced at Feathers awkwardly. He gave her a quick shrug before pushing her into the room.

She squeaked in response and grunted all sort of mannerisms at Feathers; the door closed behind her. She gulped quietly and observed the room she had been forcefully pushed into: a large, diamond chandelier hung above them, rowing back and forth ever so slightly, the wind breezing against it; colorful ribbons adorned on many of the room's windows, giving off an aura of serendipity in the room; and beautiful paintings procured by many of Equestria's great artists decorated the panels of the room's structure. The Mayor hummed in peace as he made his way towards the large, marble desk at the back of the room; Celestia's yellow rays reflection against the glossy table.

He pulled a small chair opposite of his and motioned his hooves at it, inviting Velvet to sit down. She reluctantly agreed and sat on the leather chair. Velvet gulped softly and awaited for what the Mayor had to say. The Mayor poured a glass of whiskey and passed it over at her.

"I don't drink."

"Really? I had assumed that a mare in your position would've fallen into alcoholism..." he said nonchalantly as he sat down on his chair. Velvet's scoffed before looking away from the elder pony's malicious smile.

"Mister Mayor, I assure you, that the day I drink a single drop of alcohol would be the day I'd lose my innocence."

"I don't doubt your abilities; it was simply an observation I made in part with the many jobless ponies that flocked to me for help." He pulled out a cigar and lit it in flames. A smoke ring hovered away from his mouth, before dissipating into the air. "Anyway, tell me more about yourself, Velvet. I heard you used to make pastries for Vivid Rose?"

"That is correct, sir."

"Shame. He truly lost something so valuable that day -- but he ain't the one at fault here, is he?"

She sighed quickly and rebutted against his last words. "Sir, before you say anything, I'd like to bring up the fact that the Gryphon was the one who started the whole fiasco--"

He waved his cigar in the air, his eyes closed. "Oh, we've already investigated the case. The gryphon has been identified..." a victorious smirk was slowly making its way on the pink pony's face. "... and let go free -- no charges whatsoever."

The world collapsed around her.

"But sir, he--"

"Started the whole debacle? Yes, sure, but did he attack anyone? Injure him to the point where he was bleeding blood from his beak?"

"He threw the poor mare's food at the floor--"

"But did it hurt anyone?"

"Sir, I--"

"Did it hurt anyone, Velvet!?" he shouted furiously; the smell of nicotine in the air was intoxicating

"... No, sir." the earth pony stared endlessly at the floor below her.

The Mayor puffed his cigar and shook his head. "Velvet Song, I really do think that what you did back there was aided with good intentions; and you had the chance to throw him it out peacefully. Instead, however, you chose to punch him so hard, it nearly broke his beak!" He threw the cigar away and stared grimly at her. "I don't know about you, but punching some gryphon's beak to the point where it's almost broken? That sounds like assault to me."

He chuckled mockingly and stared at Velvet with contempt. "Hell, I ain't even sure why I hadn't sent the police to apprehend you and trial you at court!"

For a brief moment, Velvet thought it was all done, that she could just leave with only a few minor consequences imposed on her. She gulped audibly and waited for The Mayor to decide her fate, like a God playing with his pawns.

"In my eyes, you either have two options:" he pulled out a pair of handcuffs from his desk-drawer and laid it on the table. "You can either walk out of here a criminal and would-be convict after the folk of this town tried you in court -- or..." he procured a sheet of paper and presented it to her. "... You can face against the storm that's brewing in the west."

Velvet grabbed the document and scanned it with haste. A military document -- a draft. 'Under Her Royal Majesty's orders, convicts that had been reported of committing a minor offence -- such as stealing food or small acts of assault -- are to be forcefully conscripted into the Equestrian Arms Forces. In the case of the "Velvet Incident" which occurred '. She looked up at the Mayor; a smile was the stallion's only response.

"I'm... confused."

"How so?"

"Out of all the qualified ponies in this town, country: why me?"

"Simple. Beneath that pink visage of yours, I see a warrior, charging at her enemies, mowing down anypony dumb enough to get in her way -- and if there's anything Equestria needs right now is more heroes."

A pregnant pause; the air is thick with tension. "... And because I'm a bit of a sucker for redemption stories -- and you, dear Velvet, just so happened to land yourself in one." He chuckled humourously as he threw away the remains of his cigar into the ashtray.

Velvet gave him a skeptical look. In her eyes, Equestria already has enough heroes in its arsenal: from the awe-inspiring words of Shining Armor to the Godlike powers of the Princesses. The Equestrian Arms Forces, an agency that is famed for its swift and decisive campaigns in conflicts between the Equestrian Empire and the local kingdoms of the continent of Zebrica, does not need ponies the likes of her in any shape or form whatsoever to be enlisted in such a prestigious sect of the government.

The Mayor smiled wryly at her. "So?" He rolled a pen at her direction, and her hooves caught it just as it was about to fall off the table. She picked up the writing utensil using her mouth and signed the document. The Mayor lifted the paper and chuckled softly. "Guess it's a deal, then."

He returned his handcuffs in the drawer. The Mayor picked the document up and slid in into a folder. "You read the whole thing correctly?"

"Yes, sir."

"Even the time and date which they're going to send you off?"

"One week and a half from today, 8:45AM in the morning"

"Okay, good." His imposing shadow loomed over the mare as he extended his hoof for a shake. "Congratulations, missy. You just sold your soul to the devil." He chuckled darkly, voice as quaint and smooth as the twilight sky.

"I'm not sure I follow, sir."

"You don't have to," he slid a cigar onto her hooves and bowed his head slightly. "Remember: One week and a half from now, 8:45AM. If you haven't left for the station ten minutes before the train leaves, then you can give freedom a good kiss as you won't be seeing it again -- for a while, at least."

She gulped nervously. "Yes, sir."

"I never gave you my name did I? I'm sure you know it, Velvet," he cracked a smirk between his rough lips.

"Well, I... No, sir. I never really bothered,"

"I'm hurt. Farquaad, at your service."

"Back at you, Mayor Farquaad," the mare said dully, eyeing the interior of the room one last time.

"Good. Now get out of my sight," he ordered, and turned his back towards the expansive window which lied neatly behind his black leather chair.

No words of wit nor of nervousness were uttered. Silence reigned the room until the slam of the door echoed throughout the office. The sun is at its conclusion; scattered drops of milk dotted the sky, quietly waiting to descend unto Equestria. However, despite the shutting of doors, or the extinction of lanterns, or the quiet murmurs of ponies in their sleep, life was not over. There was one thing Velvet needed to do -- all she needs is time.

Time.

Time.

Sweet, dilapidated time, which plagued her very soul.

And sweets.

Author's Note:

fate has other plans for velvet now ._.

thanks for reading this chapter. hope y'all enjoy the first heavy chapter :twilightblush:

(update: i came back to working on this chapter one last time before i leave it to rest for a bit. i hope u guys can understand that i dont rly find that much pleasure in writing mlp fanfics anymore; but it will always be a part of who i am. i like to thank you all so much who has accompanied me through this journey. its been one hell of a ride.

i love yall so much. thank you for reading this, even though its almost been a year since i last updated this fic).

Comments ( 3 )

…..that poor mare

Seeing an update from this was nice.

And into „never completed” folder it goes

By the way very good story. I would like you to see start writing it again

Login or register to comment