• Published 29th Jul 2017
  • 13,766 Views, 559 Comments

Solar Eclipse - hattafan2593

  • ...
30
 559
 13,766

Chapter 16 - Numb

Twilight slowly opened her eyes, and saw that she was in a white void.

"Hey, Twilight."

She turned to see Sunset - no longer demonic looking, and wearing her original clothes - sitting next to her.

Twilight blinked several times. "...what happened?"

Sunset shrugged, her smile sad. "You beat me. I guess there was enough Magic of Friendship left for the Elements to lend you a hand."

Twilight looked down at her hands. She, too, was wearing her original outfit.

Sunset sighed. "I sure made a mess of things. My rep's straight back down the toilet. And I don't think I can fix it this time."

Twilight wanted to comfort her friend, but had no words. Instead she shook her head, "This is all my fault. If I had just been here-"

Sunset shook her head in reply. "Like I said, it wouldn't have made a difference. And barring that, you're here now, aren't you?"

Sunset smiled, but then suddenly her eyes filled with tears. "Twilight...I'm scared...."

Twilight wrapped her friend in a warm embrace. "It'll be alright. I promise."

Sunset just sat there a moment, tears silently falling down her face. Then, she squeezed her eyes shut and hugged Twilight back.





"...ilight...Twilight!"

Twilight open her eyes to find herself on the floor, staring into the face of a very frazzled Principal Celestia.

"Oh thank God!" Twilight found herself in a bone-crushing hug. "We were afraid we'd lost you, too!"

"Tia...."

Twilight blinked in confusion, before Celestia's words sank in.

"'Too'......Principal Celestia....where's Sunset?"

Celestia avoided her gaze. "Twilight... I..."

Twilight looked around - there were cops and fearful students everywhere. There were also paramedics wheeling injured students out on gurneys.

One paramedic was kneeling on the floor, shaking his head solemnly, and another was throwing a white sheet over.....






......no.

no

no no no no no no

no, no no, no, no no no nonononononononononononoNONONONONONONONONONONO-


"Twilight!"

"LET ME GO!"

"There's nothing you can do, she's -"

"NO! YOU'RE LYING! IT'S NOT TRUE IT'S NOT-"

"Miss, you need to calm down-"

"LET GO OF ME!"

"We need you to come with us-"

"NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND SHE'S MY FRIEND SHE NEEDS ME! SUNSET! SUNSEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!"








Rainbow Dash sat on the steps as she stared at her arm. The word "COWARD" was still etched into her arm. The blood was seeping through the bandages the paramedic had wrapped around her arm. But honestly, her arm could be nothing but a bloody stump and she doubted she'd feel it.

She doubted she'd be feeling anything for a while.

Sunset was dead.

Students were permanently crippled and traumatized.

And it was all her fault.


Looking up, she saw a familiar figure near the ruined remains of the Canterlot High statue.

Rainbow found herself standing up and walking torwards them.

"Twilight....how...when-"

"Don't touch me."



It was barely a whisper, but Dash flinched back as if she had shouted.

She knew.

Of course she knew.




Twilight turned and stared blankly at this.....person that she thought was her friend. It sounded like Rainbow Dash, and despite obvious differences, it even looked like her.

But it wasn't Rainbow Dash. It couldn't be. Her Rainbow Dash would never-

......And there it was.

This girl wasn't "her" Rainbow Dash. She never was. None of the girls were "her" friends.

And because she failed to realize that, Sunset was.....



"Twilight! Your arm!"

Twilight looked down, almost casually, at her now transparent arm.

"The spell I used to come here kept me tethered in this world." she said matter-of-factly. "It must have worn off. I'm going back."


And never returning. It was unspoken, but clear. Rainbow wanted to say something. Anything that would justify her actions. Anything to keep Twilight from-

"If I had known....that this is how things would turn out, I would've brought Sunset back to Equestria with me that night. I would've brought her home."

Twilight's whole body was transparent now, and as she turned to face Rainbow, the athlete fought back bile at the sheer pain on Twilight's tearstained face.

"I should never have left her alone with you."

And with that, the Princess of Friendship was gone.

For the second time that day, Rainbow threw up.







Spike had paced the floor for about and hour, when a bright flash of light made him turn around.

Twilight was back.

"Twilight! You're okay! Did it work? Were you able to-"

He stopped when he saw Twilight's face.

"Spike....Sunset....she.....she....."

She didn't need to finish. Spike wrapped his tiny arms around her as Twilight burst into heartbroken sobs. They both sat there in the floor and wept for the loss of their friend.