• Published 29th Jul 2017
  • 13,768 Views, 559 Comments

Solar Eclipse - hattafan2593

  • ...
30
 559
 13,768

Chapter 15 - Friendship

Twilight had faced many enemies in the past, and they had all been very similar in goals and personalities. When she had last faced Sunset Shimmer, she had the appearance of a demoness, and a glint in her eye that belonged to a self-centered egomaniac, with a tint of madness.

This time, however, instead of an ambitous bully, was something akin to a wild animal. One that had been backed into a corner and whipped repeatedly. A creature that was beyond reason, beyond caring for anyone or anything, not even herself.

And it absolutely broke Twilight's heart.

Unfortunately Sunset took Twilight's frozen form as indecisiveness, so she decided to make the choice for her. There was a flash of movement, Twilight was on the ground, a large cut on her cheek.

Twilight didn't have time to think; she used all her energy and speed to dodge and evade as Sunset swung her sword wildly, her own sword still lying where she had left it.

As Twilight dodged the swings, Sunset, to her surprise, began to sing:

I believed what we had would last forever
After all the moments we spend together
But they were meaningless in the end
If friendship is supposed to be magic
Then why has ours become so tragic?
I can't believe I called them my friends

Sunset's singing distracted Twilight momentarily, as one swing sliced off a lock of her hair. She felt a clawed hand dig into her shoulder as she was forcefully pushed to the ground.

Feels like after all this time
You should have known we'd be here tonight
Wandering where the past has gone
All the memories we lost when we moved on
Honestly, it hurts thinking
About the way we were, just you and me
This isn't what friendship's supposed to be

As Sunset sang, Twilight risked a glance behind her. A single tear had trekked its way down the unblackened side of Sunset's face, which was still contorted in rage.

Sunset's words pierced Twilight's very soul. She knew exactly what Sunset was feeling, for she was in this very same position herself when Discord had brainwashed all her friends, twisting their personalities and causing them to leave her alone.

A look of determination crossed Twilight's face. She would not let it end this way. Somehow, someway, she would save her friend. She stood up and turned to face Sunset fully as she sang:

Giving up always seems so easy,
But it's hard when it's you and me
And I don't want to say good-bye

Sunset charged, but Twilight did a tuck-n-roll and grabbed her sword. When Sunset swung again, she used the sword to block it.

We've hurt each other time and time again-

Guess all good things come to an end, Sunset hissed as she pushed down on Twilight's sword with her own.

But I don't want to lose you tonight, Twilight countered as she pushed back.

The two finally pushed off each other, both panting hard.

Unbeknownst to the two, a small crowd was forming around the circle of fire. Apparently some of the students who were hiding had heard the commotion and felt brave enough to investigate. Some were even recording.

The two slowly began to circle each other, their swords at the ready

Feels like after all this time
You should've known we'd be here tonight
Wondering where the past has gone
All the memories we lost when we moved on

Twilight joined in, and the two harmonized;

Honestly, it hurts thinking
About the way we were, just you and me
This isn't what friendship's supposed to be

And so, the fight went on, the two swords clashing. But eventually, Sunset lost her patience and used the flat side of the blade to strike Twilight wrist, knocking the sword out of her hand.

In shock, Twilight didn't have time to defend herself as Sunset slashed away, cutting into Twilight's sleeves, her chest, and her skirt.

A kick to the ribs stole Twilight's breath, and a sock to the jaw sent her flying.

As Twilight wheezed and struggled to get up, she saw Sunset approach, her expression now unreadable.

D-don't say goodbye....
I promise everything...will be alright.....

Twilight reached imploringly with a trembling hand. Sunset ignored it and grabbed the front of Twilight's ripped blouse, lifting her into the air.

Forgive me.....
I'm sorry....
I'll fix this...if it cost me my life....
Going to....make this right.....

As Sunset raised her sword to deliver the killing blow, Twilight squeezed her eyes shut.


Please.....if there's any Harmony left in this place.....hear me......


Help me.......





Applejack lay on her bed in despair. Her phone was in the trash can. She didn't notice as a single strand of orange light flew from her body and out the window.




Fluttershy was in the town dump, sobbing. It was the only place she could find that didn't have people or animals. Her crying stopped when she saw yellow light flying from her hands and into the sky.



Pinkie was in the bathtub. The pills she took were starting to take affect. The last thing she saw before everything went black was a pink light flying from her chest and through the wall. The last thing she heard was her normally stoic sister screaming for an ambulance.


Rarity was still sobbing in front of her frozen sister. She didn't notice when a purple light flew from her back and down the hall.


Rainbow Dash was walking down the hallway, her face completely blank. She didn't know where she was going. She didn't care either. She didn't notice when a pale blue light flew from her body and down the opposite end of the hallway.





Sunset stared in shock as Twilight's body began to glow. She slowly let go of her shirt, and Twilight began to rise into the air as colored lights swirled around her.

A flash of white light, and Twilight had transformed. Her clothes were replaced with a simple white dress, similar to a nightgown, her hair now had different streaks of color in it, and on her back were large, majestic alicorn wings.

Sunset stared at Twilight's new form, then her face became blank once more.

Feels like after all this time
You should have known we'd be here tonight
Wondering where the past has gone
All the memories we lost when we moved on

Sunset ascended into the air, and Twilight followed as they both sang;

Honestly, it hurts thinking
About the way we were, just you and me
This isn't what friendship's supposed to be!

Sunset formed a ball of black magic in her hands, while Twilight formed a ball of rainbow magic in hers.

They both fired, forming a stalemate, neither giving an inch.

With tears spilling down her face, Twilight gave a loud cry as she pushed with everything she had.

As the harmonic magic pushed back Sunset's attack, the she-demon closed her eyes, accepting her fate.

She disappeared in a flash of light.

Author's Note:

That's right! I pulled a Deus Ex Machina!

Also for those who don't know, here's the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U0UUDy_5ik

BUT WAIT!!! We're not done yet! Many of you guessed whether Sunset would die or not. Stay tuned to see if you're right!