• Published 29th Jul 2017
  • 13,768 Views, 559 Comments

Solar Eclipse - hattafan2593

  • ...
30
 559
 13,768

Epilogue Part 2 - Requiem

The statue was absolutely perfect.

Twilight Sparkle, along with Princess Celestia and Spike, was gazing up at it from atop its pedestal, admiring its beauty. They got every detail right, from the shape of Sunset's eyes to the curls in her mane. At the base was a plaque that read: "In memory of Sunset Shimmer. Beloved Student. Beloved Daughter. Beloved Friend."

The other five Element Bearers and Princess Luna were there as well, but a respectful distance away, their expressions somber. They had heard about Sunset Shimmer from both Twilight and Celestia, how she had been led astray by her own ambition, how she had been cleansed by the Elements of Harmony, how she had learned the Magic of Friendship, and had worked hard ever since to be a better pony - or "person" as Twilight called her.

They were sorry that they would never get to meet such a wonderful pony. They were here now for emotional support.

"Celestia....Princess.....I-"

"No, Twilight. Do not blame yourself. I forbid it."

Twilight cringed at the harsh tone the sun princess spoke with. "But....I ki-"

"Do not finish that sentence!" Celestia hissed. She took Twilight's chin in her hoof. "Sunset's fate was sealed when she was lured into that building. The dark magic that consumed her prolonged her fate, allowing her to take revenge on those that had wronged her. But sooner or later, it would have begun to take a toll on her body. Had you not intervened she would have died a slow, and painful death."

Celestia released her, and sat up into an authoritative pose. "The creatures truly to blame for this are back in that dimension, and from what you've told me, they have been thoroughly punished. They made their choice, and now they will have to deal with consequences." Her eyes softened. "But you, Twilight. You were there for her until the very end. You showed her the Magic of Friendship, something that I had failed to do, and you gave her the peace that she sought. For that, you have my eternal gratitude, Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship."

Twilight burst into tears, and buried her face in Celestia's chest. "I just....I miss her, Celestia. I miss her so much...."

Celestia's majestic wings wrapped themselves around her former student, as tears quietly ran down her own face. "As do I, my little pony. As do I ."

They sat like that for a while, with Spike's claw gently stroking Twilight's back.




They somberly walked back to the group, Twilight nodding that she was ready to leave.

She felt a hoof on her shoulder and turned to see Rainbow Dash. Her Rainbow Dash.

"Hey. You need anything, just let us know, ok?" Rainbow said, her voice sincere. The other nodded in agreement.

Twilight stared at her friend, then embraced her tightly. Rainbow returned the hug with no hesitation. Four other pairs of hooves joined the hug, and Twilight was soon wrapped in a cocoon of warmth.



As they left the Canterlot Gardens and made their way to the train station, Spike walked alongside Twilight, his claws fidgeting nervously.

"So.....happens now? To our fri-" He paused, correcting himself. "To the others?"

Twilight's face was blank, her voice flat. "I don't know, Spike. I'd like to believe that they'll learn from this. That they'll pick up the pieces and rediscover the Magic of Friendship on their own." Her eyes narrowed and she gazed at the ground. "But I've been wrong before."

Author's Note:

Yeah, this one was short. RIP, Sunset.

Okay just one more chapter and then we can wrap this up. Stay tuned!