• Published 17th Jul 2017
  • 1,148 Views, 14 Comments

"The Traverser" - TheTwins



Silver Watch is an earth pony who possess extraordinary abilities and has now lived for over two thousand years. However, most of this time was not spent in Equestria and Silver Watch is in fact not his real name.

  • ...
6
 14
 1,148

Eternal Nightmare

“The Traverser”

Chapter 10

“Regret is a virus. Your heart becomes weighed down by the consequences of your actions and there is no cure. The only chance for relief is to wait out the turmoil inside you hoping it does not swallow you before you have a chance to redeem yourself. I have many regrets; one particular regret is trying to leave a doomed world to forsake another. My judgment was clouded leading to a terrible mistake, but the consequences were not mine to bear. For this, I am sorry Simon.”

As my eyes began to open, the first sensation that came upon me was the calming smell of lavender. Into view came a solid wall of stone that I soon realized was a ceiling. I take a deep breath and rejuvenate my lungs. They ached but slowly gave into my commands. Sitting up, my body felt like it had been dormant and was still reawakening. It’s clear that I am in a bed. Its linen pure white and its warmth comforting. I appear to be in a bedroom. Directly across the room, a small window lets light pierce the dark quarters and a sunbeam glistens on a vase filled with flowers and there the reason for the fragrance lies.

“I wonder how I got here?”. Stretching my forearms and cracking my hooves I jump out of bed landing upright on my hooves. “Simon, Come out please.” I request my companion’s presence to no avail. “Uh, Simon, what’s wrong?” I show concern wondering why the little green pony had not answered my call. I attempt to summon peacemaker and to my surprise, it isn’t available either. With that, I attempted shooting star with no success. “Uh, what!”

As I was beginning to freak out, the door began to creak open showing the face of a young mare. “Master Silver Watch, are you awake?” The mare pushes the door in. She is wearing what appears to be maids’ attire. “Are you feeling well, the Princesses will be pleasantly surprised to see your awake.”

I turn and look at her confused. I shake my head and walk calmly over to the mare staring at her face and looking her up and down. She begins to make a nervous expression and I put my hoof on her shoulder. “Where am I…?” I ask in disorder from the quick turn of events.

She laughs a little and clears her throat. “Why my good pony, you are in the Castle of the Two sisters, home to Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Don’t you remember dear, the battle with Discord was over three weeks ago.” Hesitantly backing up, she steps out to inform the princesses and bows to me respectfully.

“Three weeks!” I groan as I shake my head and slump to the ground. “Its been that long since I fought Discord. Since I fought with Silence.” I think about what happened and the sudden realization made my blood run cold. “Did I really fight Silence…and win?” I begin to sweat thinking of just how strong his powers were. But after a moment, a piece of a puzzle made its way into place. “Simon!” I remember my faithful friend having stood up for me and being dismissed violently by Silence. “Oh no, he couldn’t have…and my swords too…” I sit again trying to summon my swords and precious companion to no success. I remember the last time I saw him and realize how painful it must have been. In addition to his pain, he was also angry at me for what I had done. “Simon, I’m so sorry. I should have listened to you and yet I caused you to lose so much.”

As I lower my head in shameful remorse for my actions, the door creaks open once more. Glancing at the entrance my heart began to swell as a little green pony slowly trots in staring at me. I shake my head making sure what I had seen was no illusion and sure enough Simon is standing before me. Without a second thought, I gallop over to the little green pony. “Simon! You're ok!”

I prepare to embrace Simon but my partners' expression changed. It became more of a frown then feelings of thankfulness. Slowing my approach, I frown myself and look at my unhappy assistant. “Simon? It's me Silver, I’m so glad your…ok…” My joy quickly turns to horror as I look at the scarred muzzle of Simons. His face clearly changed from his previous joyful expression to that of torturous struggle.

Simon opened his mouth attempting to utter something to me but all that came out was a high-pitched exhaling sound. His face teared up as he covered his face with his tiny forehooves. His trembling made a pit form inside me as I reached to comfort him. My attempt was met with a slap as Simon stared at me angrily. “Simon I, I didn’t know this would happen. You have to believe me little green…”

As if rejecting my words, he pointed at me with a cold expression and then back to his injured throat. He mouthed something and I got the message very clearly. “I’m a monster… but Simon we both fought Silence together…”

At that moment Princess Luna's voice echoed through the hallways. “Finally, he has been in slumber for so long.” Hooves began to grow closer and closer.

Simon trotted up to me and stared into my eyes. He turned his head towards to door and voices and glared back at me. His body began to flicker and more tears slid down his face. As his energy faded, he mouthed one more eerie thing. “Were we really together?” And as his words donned on me, he had finished absorbing back into my body as in reverse of Silences smoky form.

Standing in disbelief I could find no words to describe my feelings. Simon had lost his voice. His happy personality seemed to be long gone and his stale jokes had vanished as if they never existed. “Oh Simon, I have caused your suffering. I am a monster. What is this deep weight that causes these unshakeable hooves to tremble?”

“That Silver Watch is quilt.” Quickly looking up the forms of Celestia and Luna standing in respectful silence. Celestia continues her speech as she moves toward me. “The green pony was found in a similar state as yours but suffered severe injury to his throat. Our medical ponies could not help him as his body seemed to be made of what I suppose we can call magic. I do not know what happened between you two, but it seems you have made a mistake costing your partner dearly Silver.”

My head hung in shame. “We faced an enemy far stronger than we were prepared, Celestia. I caused the fight and he tried to protect me…but his voice was something worth so much.” I shed a tear but looked up as the Princess had placed a hoof on my shoulder.

“Silver Watch, what has happened cannot change but the future bares fruit in time. I am sure your friend will come to forgive you even for this.” She firmly smiled “But for now, let me be the first to say thank you for helping save Equestria from the evil Discord.”

I give a nod and see Luna begin to approach me. As I open my mouth to speak, I am pulled into a tight hug. I am shocked and unprepared for the experience as I lightly pat her shoulder. “Silver, I cannot thank thee enough for helping save our ponies, and I am so grateful you are unharmed.”

A small snicker is heard as Luna continues to embrace her hero. “Perhaps Silver Watch would like to breathe?” The blue alicorn quickly releases me blushing and clears her throat nodding. Celestia begins to exit the room but turns once more before making her exit. “When you are ready, there is a feast waiting in your honor Silver Watch.”

As she exits Luna looks at me seriously and breaths in deeply. Her blue main gently billows and her eyes shine brightly. She gracefully bows. “My knight Silver Watch, I cannot thank you enough for your efforts in battle and your help saving Equestria. I also owe you a life debt for saving me. Please ask anything of me.” She stares up at me expecting a reply.

I step back unsure of how to respond. “Wait, Luna, please do not bow to me. I just did what I wanted too.” The blue princess rises with a joyful smile. “I am happy that I could save somepony Luna, that’s enough for my soul.”

She tilts her head slightly and raises an eyebrow. “You ask for nothing for this great deed? If you desired a fortune you should have it, if you wish a mare to wed, it will be arranged.” She moves toward the window and points out towards the land. “This kingdom has riches that could be yours if you simply say the word Silver. Do you still desire nothing?”

Following her lead, I walk to the window and gaze at the land before me. There were green pastures and buildings to be seen everywhere. The kingdom was in a time of prosperity. I could make out many ponies attending to their daily work and foals playing with one another. “Yes Luna, I am not a pony who usually brings good fortune. I think this fact is plenty for my sake.” I continue to gaze at the land and my eyes fall upon a curious statue. I narrow my gaze and to my astonishment, the stone structure is in the shape of Discord. “What is that?”

Luna adjusts her glance to match mine and nods her head. “Oh yes, I suppose you did not get to see the end of the creature. When you were taken into the portal, my sister and I had finally finished working on our secret weapon. The Elements of harmony lent us their power and, in a power blinded state, Discord gave us the chance to try our newfound weapon. To his surprise, the elements were strong enough to turn him into the statue before us now. Even with such tremendous power, the magic of friendship was enough to defeat him.”

I listened to her story wondering if this magic of friendship was something I had ever had with another pony. I would think if anypony Simon would be the closest thing to a friend I have ever had. I glance at the blue alicorn and raise an eyebrow. “I wonder”

Luna tilts her head to the side at my out of context statement. “Um, Excuse me Silver?”

I notice she is addressing me as I am staring at her face blankly. “Oh, my apologies Luna. I was in thought. Nothing to be concerned over.” She appears to want to speak once more as a rumbling in my stomach calls us to realization. “Uhhhhh”

The princess begins to snicker and covers her muzzle as she goes into a fit of laughter. “Oh, ha-ha, my Silver, my apologies but it seems a certain pony is ready for their feast. Let us be going to dinner.” She calms herself and starts to exit the room.

I follow Luna down a twisting staircase and into a wide corridor. We come to a large wooden double door emblazed with the two sister’s cutie marks on each side. I realize that until now, I had only seen the princesses as warriors leading their ponies, but as I was dwarfed by the size of their home, I began to realize how much they meant to their ponies. They were symbols of power and beauty to their ponies. Their cutie marks were everywhere and everything was pristine. These two ponies were in charge of the very moon and sun in the sky. I would dare say they are more like all-powerful beings to these ponies of Equestria.

Stepping through the great doors, I came face to face with the maid from earlier. “Why master Silver Watch, I do believe we have some clothes ready for dinner, please follow these gentlecolts and they will help you into them.”

I stop for a moment and look at Luna who simply grins and waves goodbye to me. “Wait, Luna…. I do not do fancy clothes. I refuse to wear anything that restricts my ability to fight.”

The maid looks at me and raises an eyebrow. “Master Silver Watch, I do believe you are being unreasonable, do you wish to ruin this evenings activity?” I blink and begin to speak but am interrupted before I can continue. “Would you shame the princesses?” Again, attempting to answer only lead to more tongue lashing. “Would you make this poor mares’ passion to serve you to my best ability go to waste?”

Immediately feeling a deep pit in my soul from this mare, I shake my hooves to desperately get my point across. “Of course not!”

The mare breaths in slightly and then clears her throat. “Very good then, boys take him to the bath.”

I gasp as the two butler ponies begin to drag me away. “Bath! Wait what just happened here? I am Silver Watch! The strongest pony there is, I will not be treated to such tortures!”

As the ponies drag me away, the maid lets out a “That’s nice dear” as they close the doors behind us and remind me to stop scratching the floor.

Before long, the terrible experience was over and sadly I was dressed in a very fine cloak that had what I was told was the crest of the royal guard. Along with that, I was given a chest plate and boots. Finally, I had found myself in the banquet hall. I sat at the very end next to a large golden and slightly smaller blue chair. It was clear what ponies they were meant for as by the color and cutie mark. Around the table, other ponies had been seated and at times they would introduce themselves and tell me their title and such. I was curious as to where the food would be found as a trumpet sounded and a stallion began to speak.

“All rise for your majesties the Two royal Princesses. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.” On cue, everypony rose and bowed as the two princesses entered the room. Celestia entered first and the dress blew me away. It was pristine white and complimented her pink mane perfectly. It had diamonds here and there reflecting itself unto all objects. As to be expected, the princesses’ attire also had a chest plate with her cutie mark very clearly showing. But what was most noticeable was the flames coming from the dressing area covering her fetlocks. Clearly demonstrating her atonement to the fiery sun.

She entered and stood as the door swung open once more. With a chilling breeze, Luna began to trot towards her respective spot. My eyes became entranced with her attire. Her dress was a clear material that highlighted her coat and sparkled. It was as if somepony had collected the fallen dewdrops and woven them into a beautiful dress for the princess of the night. Her chest piece glistened and cast her cutie mark toward onlookers. And to tie it off, the material around her fetlocks seemed to create a cool mist around her. My heart skipped a beat as I realized that she was a creature as graceful as she was formidable. As she glanced at the table, the faintest sign of a frown appeared and I suspect my trained eyes were one of the only to catch it. I was curious as to why this could be, but I could hear talking down the table. Glancing to the area of its effect, I noticed that not only had the one, but many of the ponies had begun to talk amongst each other and not look at Luna.

I could not believe what was happening but it made me wonder. Luna eventually made her way to her chair and Celestia knocked her hoof on the table quieting everypony. “Good ponies of Equestria, it is with great pleasure this night that we present to you the savior of our Land. Princess Lunas personal Knight, Sir Silver Watch!”

The crowd began to cheer and stamp their hooves as I began to blush. “Oh, well uh thank you, it's no big deal really.” I began to sweat not knowing what to say and I looked at Luna who began to speak.

“Silver Watch has aided us in the defeat of Discord and now we shall feast in his honor. Let us begin!”

At that very moment, butlers and maids began to enter carrying trays of delectable treats and drinks. I could not remember the last time I had eaten such a fine meal. As we ate, the princesses talked to me and looked at me very seriously.

Celestia cleared her throat and began to speak to me with a tone that made me sit at attention. “Silver Watch, the cloak you are wearing is not simply for decoration. As a knight, you already defend the kingdom from harm, but what you wear is the cloak of the royal Canterlot guards. It was clear from the battle with Discord that our ponies need a skilled leader to train them while we run the kingdom. We would like to ask you a favor.”

Luna chimes in and smiles. “Silver Watch, we would like to appoint you as the new Captain of the royal guard. What do you say?”

I shake my head and clear the lump in my throat. I think for a moment about the truth behind my being in this world. The destruction I am sure to bring and the dream I had about Luna. “Princesses, I appreciate the offer, but I do not believe myself to be a good choice for this…”

Luna speaks up and holds a hoof to mine. “Silver, I know you have many secrets and posses’ power that is not understood by ponies. But I truly believe that does not matter. Your heart is pure and you have proven yourself.

A sinking feeling begins to form in my gut as I think about her words. My heart could not be pure. After the countless lives, I ended even if being forced to do so. The images of trying to leave this world and selfishly endanger another filled my mind along with the pain I had caused Simon. But as I almost leave the table, a certain green ponies words run through my mind. “Silver… I know you’re afraid of being attached to Luna but you can’t let our curse stop you from finding enjoyment…and the Silver I know wouldn’t run!”

Suddenly my mind became focused and I knew what I had to do. I stared up at the princesses confidently and smiled. “I will do it, but don’t think just anypony will make it in my guard.”

The two sisters looked at each other and Celestia rises causing the room to fall silent. “I am allowed this night to tell you more good news. Our hero Sir Silver Watch has accepted the job as Captain of the royal guard. Let his work be successful and to the betterment of Equestria!” Once again, the room shook with cheers and for the rest of the night, we enjoyed ourselves. And for once, I believe I had been truly happy for just a moment.

“After that night, I quickly began my work as captain. The leader prior to me, Arch Light had been given a new position below me and I began to train the soldiers in my ways of fighting. I took inventory of the guards and came to find that among the whole kingdom, there were two thousand royal guards. I quickly destroyed the doctrine that allowed this and created one that allowed for only two hundred members of the royal guard. I also made it where ponies other than unicorns could serve as well. Before I was done, only about twenty-five of the original guard remained. With my new special force, I trained day in and day out making them into my elite fighting unit. The rest were relocated into jobs they were more suited for. But at some point, the end of my rein began to begin.

Early in the morning, I had just finished warming up the third regiment of my stallions when one of my commanders informed me that I had a visitor. Giving the soldiers a chance to rest, I turn to see non-other than Arch Light glaring at me.

“Well, if it isn’t Silver Watch, the hero of Equestria and personal knight to Princess Luna. I can’t believe I lost my job because of some foal like you.” He walks towards me putting his nose to mine. “I can’t stand it anymore. I challenge you to a duel for the right as captain.”

One of the Stallions begins to step forward in anger but I hold up my hoof. “Arch Light, you are no longer a member of the royal guard. You have no right to challenge. I am curious, however. When King Sombra attacked our kingdom, did my guards not defeat his army in the time it takes a filly to each an apple? I do not see anything but greed in your eyes for power Arch Light.”

The old stallion snarls and pulls his sword from its sheath. “As the former captain, I wager my title for a chance to take yours. The other guards look around and to me as if wondering what to do.


I sigh and conjure peacemaker. “Fine, it's not that I wish to fight you or anything, but my soldiers actually have a wager going as to how long you could last against me so why now.” I back up and bow to him. “At your leaser Arch Light”

The old stallion performs a weak bow and quickly advances towards me. His form was good, but his movements sluggish and predictable. I begin to block his slashes and easily push him into a corner. “I’ll let you know as a favor to your time as captain Arch Light. The reason you were replaced was simply that of your age, do you not realize the effect your years have had?”

The old stallion grumbles and his horn lights up. His body disappears into the air. I look around and hear screaming to my side. I look over my shoulder to see my men running and yelling something. Their faces terrified and heads looking up. I look in the same direction to see the old stallion hovering high above and to my amazement he had conjured giant boulders and hurled them towards me.

“Chew on this whippersnapper.” The old man pushed the large stones with his magic causing them to catch fire from the speed. My reaction is to protect my soldiers. I summon my aura and transmit it to my sword With a few swift slashes, the stones turn to rubble. Within the rubble, Arch Light once again begins to glow and the tiny shards are sent at blinding speed towards me. I cover my face and take the hit. Little shard of what felt like hot iron riddle my coat with damage.

From behind Arch Light appears as the rain of rubble subsides going for my hind end. I smile and turn to match his sword. I smile big and force him back. “Well, one thing is for certain, none of my soldiers can do that. You still have some buck left in you I see.”

The old stallion begins to breath hard but begins to walk forward. “Well…I think… you will appreciate a little kid.” He charges his horn and prepares to fire a large amount of energy. That instant I feel a change in his body and sense his life energy. It’s on the verge of collapsing from the strain.

I get serious for a moment and accelerate to Arch Light placing my blade at his throat in an instant. “Stand down now!” I yell at the top of my voice causing trees and the ground around me to shake. The old stallion blinks and losses concentration. His spell breaks and his breathing become slow.

“I…Concede.” The old pony says hesitantly but soon lowers his head as I remove the sword. “I really have lost my touch.” He slumps down and throws his sword to the side. “I guess retirement really is in order.”

Watching Arch Light, I notice the crowd that had scattered finally forming back again. I begin to hear cheering but its not for the victor. From the group, a Pegasus yells. “Whew! Arch Light! You really kicked flank there!” The rest of the soldiers join in and begin to stamp their hooves in respect for the old stallion. “That’s our old captain, you sure showed Captain Silver Watch how to party!”

The old stallion looks up and sees the crowd gathering to praise him. They help him up and salute him. The amazed look on his face stood out like a tree in a grassy field. “What? But I lost so terribly, and I was disrespectful to Captain Silver Watch…”

I take the chance to interject and reach to shake hooves with Arch Light who looks at me with uncertainty. “These are still your comrades Arch Light. They have a respect for you that is undying. You have a great amount of power and in your day, I can see how fearful a force you must have been. Give them something to remember for this day too.

The frown the stallion had been wearing slowly turned to a faint smile and a look of pride. The old pony stood up on his four hooves and cleared his throat. “You sorry lot better shape up or Captain Silver Watch will have your swords for sure! And you best hope he doesn’t call me either!” Arch Light reaches forward and shakes my hoof. “Thank you, Silver” With more cheering from the crowd, the soldiers begin to return to their normal posts and training.

As we are trotting back into the courtyard, a soldier yells. “Princess Celestia is here!” With that, every single member of staff, soldiers, and bystanders come to a halt and bow to their ruler. I catch sight of her flying in our direction and bow alongside the old stallion.

“Arch Light!” The princess shouts in her royal Canterlot voice. The pony landing before us wore a stern expression directed at the old captain. Arch Light cringes when he hears his name and clears a lump in his throat as she throws her words at him. “ I cannot believe you would not only disrespect Silver Watches authority and my decision to replace you but to attack the captain is unbelievable.”

Celestia continues to chastise him and I begin to see her conversation heading to a negative area for Arch Bright. So, I quickly interject. “Actually Celestia, it was by my order that the previous captain does such a thing. I asked him in secret to start a scene and show the troops what even older soldiers are capable of.” I become silent and look at her hoping that she bought it.

She stops her rant and stares at me contemplating. “Arch Light, is this the truth?” The old stallion looks up and to me. I nod to him and it appears he has caught on. With a hesitant pause, he reassures her and smiles.

“Yes princess, I may be old but this horn still knows its way around a brawl or two. These whippersnappers think that they are indestructible just because they're young. Somepony had to show them the way it is.” He puts a hoof around my neck. “Captain Silver Watch had a brilliant idea if I do say so myself.”

Celestia breaths in and slowly exhales. “Well, if that’s all there is to this, then I suppose I nothing else to say but good work to the both of you. Arch Light, have you come to realize just how strong our captain truly is?” Her stern look had turned to one of excitement and she began to stretch.

“Yes, your highness, I gave him everything I had and he took it without a single injury. I am quite amazed, to be honest. How strong he must be is even unimaginable to me. Perhaps he could even match your highness in combat.”

At this point, Celestia is glowing with energy and she smirks as she nods. “Yes, I actually would like to make a point as to his durability. “Would you please take a position over there Silver?” The guards gather behind Celestia and Arch Light as I make my way to the front of the crowd and begin to ascend up into the air. Many gasps are heard including from the past captain. I come to a stop and watch as Celestia turns. “Fellow citizens and soldiers of Equestria. The captain of the royal guard represents more than strength. The captain represents the resilience of pony kind and our choice to stand for what we cherish. She turns around and with a moments charge, blasts me with a gigantic solar ray. It is so bright the world around it turns pitch black. The stone beneath her feet begins to boil and silence falls upon the area. After a moment, the ray ceases and the bystanders look up prepared to see the empty space where their captain was moments ago. To their astonishment, my body while steaming was in perfect shape. I slowly descended and with a climatic build, faced the crowd with eyes wide and proud. Celestia turns once more opening her pristine wings. “Neither Discord nor King Sombra could break our pony pride, our captain and Equestria stands strong in the face of any threat, remember that!”

As she finishes her speech, an eruption of cheers and whistles tells me that Celestia is a true leader to her ponies. They respect her and cherish her. I trot over to her and raise my head to look into her eyes. “You know, if you want to raise morale, you could just have given away free apple cider.”

The white pony laughs and looks at me. “Yes, I suppose that might work. But they need to see there is more than me and my sister who can watch over them.” Celestia begins to walk forward and waves her wing for me to follow her. “I actually had another purpose in coming here today, I would like for you to do something for me Silver Watch.” She lowers her gaze and looks around. “It concerns my sister Luna.”

My face shows confusion but I wonder what concerns the princess of the sun has for the princess of the night. I trot in front of Celestia and raise my hoof. “Does this have something to do with the fall of the crystal empire?” I peer into her eyes.

“Well… it seems to have started around that time yes. But she has been acting more and more distant lately. And there have been these strange ponies meeting with her. She refuses to talk about it and shuts me out when I question her. My dear sister has simply been off for some time now.” She rubs her eye with a hoof and it appears she is on the verge of tears.

“Hold on Celestia, don’t worry. I am sure that there is something going on that we simply have not seen. As for the strange ponies, I have noticed them myself. I cannot get close to them to ask and they seem to vanish out of nowhere. But I have noticed that they only come to speak with her at night and all where dark cloaks and hoods.” I look at Celestia realizing I did nothing to improve the situation. “I mean…what can I do to help princess?”

Celestia dries her eyes and looks at me. “Well, Luna trusts you Silver, she trusts you more than even myself I would dare say. I don’t want you to confront her, I just want you to accompany her tomorrow in shopping for some supplies. Nothing hard, I just think it might be good for health.”

I think for a moment and nod. “Perhaps so, I would be happy to spend some time with Luna again. Its been a while since we have trained.”

Celestia begins to enter the castle and turns to me. “Well, there shouldn’t be any fights in the middle of town Captain. And nothing more promiscuous either.” I look at her with a confused face mouthing the word slowly. She laughs and begins to close the door. “Enjoy your trip Silver, please look after my dear sister.” With that, she closes the door and I am left wondering what Celestia had meant.

“That night I had thought some more about the troubles Luna had been facing but decided tomorrow would come soon enough. I looked around my new room fitted for the royal captain and think about the past few months. I had been promoted to the captain of the royal guard, trained an elite army to defend Equestria, fought the Crystal Empires corrupt forces, and made myself a place here in Equestria. I also had some regrets of course. Since I awoke from my battle with discord, I have yet to see my friend Simon again. I can feel him, but he never comes out anymore. I fear he has lost faith in me. A faith I truly do not deserve. For now, I thought that I would find myself resting for the day ahead. I could not have known what was to come for my friend.”

The next evening, I took the rest of the day off from training and met Luna at the castle gates. As she made her appearance, the princesses mind seemed to be elsewhere. She nods to me and we begin to trot towards the village shopping center. I hear Luna clear her throat. “It has been many moons Silver, how have you been?”

I begin to feel at ease. Perhaps she is nervous after being away for so long. “I am well Luna; the guard is doing excellent and has shown great progress.” She looks at me and raises a brow insisting that I tell her more. “But you already knew that…I guess it’s been some time since I have spoken to or even seen Simon.” I take a breath and look at her. “What about you?”

“It has been very uneventful in the night, ponies have not had much trouble in their dreams as they had when Discord was in power. They do not need me as much as they once had.” She frowns just a little but shakes her head. “But tis not a bad thing to have peace of mind. I suppose you understand silver.”

“Of course, Luna, speaking of peace of mind, why don’t we get down to business before we lose track of time.” She nods. I wave a hoof to let her take the first step and we are off. We quickly make our way to the entrance of the market and what a sight it is. Ponies everywhere were haggling and eating dinner. The market had a pulse that could be felt through the streets. Pony wares were being bought and traded so fast it would make your head spin to watch it. “Goodness, I think this is a little scary.”

Luna laughs and waves to some foals running past. “The mighty captain scared of shopping. How will our country survive if Silver Watch is defeated by a salespony?” She continues to tease as I pay her no attention.

In the distance, I see our destination. The quill Shop was a standalone building on the edge of the market. It seemed to be a bit run down and its sign was hanging from only one of the hinges. “Oh Luna, we are here. Think you can focus princess?” I turned around to find Luna nowhere to be found. “Luna?” I quickly looked through the crown and jumped into the air to get a better view. “Oh, Horsefeathers, I lost a princess.”

“Quills!” The loud voice of Luna yelled from behind me. Swiftly turning to see Luna by the door with her wings flared. “This is the important shopping sister had for me? Does she not think I am capable of more than simple tasks as this?” She turns to me. “What is Celestia thinking?”

Stepping forward I place my hoof on her shoulder mostly so I can keep her in sight. “Luna, maybe she just wanted you to take a break and do something that’s not stressful,” I remember Celestia mentioning Luna's trust in me. “And maybe she wanted you to spend some time with a friend.” I straighten up and smile as big as I can. “Yep, definitely a kind gesture.”

Luna begins to calm down and places a hoof on the door. “Perhaps you are right Silver, but sister has always treated me like a foal. It's very tiring.” She pushes the door in making the doorbell chime. She starts to enter but stops and looks at me. “And I am glad to have gotten to spend some time with you Silver Watch.” She smiles and enters the store.

I blink for a moment hearing the happy words of Luna. I catch my mouth as it starts to hang open and smile brightly once more. I felt a warm fuzziness in my chest and tried to scratch the area. “What is this odd feeling?” I hear the doorbell once more and realize I have been left. Shaking my head to focus once more, I push the door and see the shop. It is a quiet little room with only a few items on display. A closer inspection shows that the only thing in the store was different types of quills. The displays were dusty and stocked very full with their product. Looking around I see Luna talking to an old stallion. I trot over and listen.

The old stallion wears a warm smile. “Princess Luna, it’s been many moons since you stepped hoof in my shop. I only wish I could say it has been a pleasant time since then.” Luna looks around noticing the dust and frowns. “Don’t worry princess, these things happen as you know. Quills last a long time and not enough ponies need our services anymore.”

Luna gives him an order form and he takes it beginning to get her things. “I don’t understand, were you not in the middle of expanding your business? She notices a pamphlet covered in dust. Using her magic, she unfolded the parchment while covering her face from the dust. “Ah yes, were you not making these sofas part of your business?”

Handing Luna the bag of quills, he looks at her with soft and weary eyes. “yes, well that was our plan, but then the war with the crystal empire began and as you know there is no longer a supplier. We found a distributor in Saddle Arabia, but by the time we could reach them, we ran out of funds.” He removes his spectacles and wipes them. “Someponies businesses thrived because of the war, but others were pushed out. We should have closed our doors many moons ago.”

Listening to the story, I begin to think about my part in the war. I felt guilty that even though we had won, certain ponies still faced the aftermath of the conflict. I step forward and bring out a bag of gold coins. “Excuse me, but would this be enough to put you back in business?” I pour the contents onto the counter and watch as the old stallions’ eyes widen.

“Why yes! But good pony I couldn’t take these hard-earned bits from you.” Luna looks at us in awe but says nothing. I place a hoof on the stallion and smirk. “Call it an investment in a good business. I’ll even take ownership in the business if it would make you more comfortable accepting them.”

The stallion thinks hard for a few moments and then extends a hoof. “I am Ink Blot, what’s your name partner?” We eagerly shake hands and he writes something down on a piece of parchment. “This is written proof that you are an owner of what will soon be known as the quills and Sofa shop.” He then reaches down and brings out a golden quill. “And this will serve as a reminder that you helped this old stallion keep his dream alive.”

After talking for a bit, we wave goodbye to Inkblot and look for something to eat. Luna suggests a place and we make our way over. As we are trotting, Luna stops. I turn to her and tilt my ears. “Silver Watch, I don’t know how you keep doing it, but the pony I met in that clearing has changed so much.”

I scratch my head and laugh. “I don’t know Luna, I can still beat you with one hoof.” I smile as we are seated and begin to think truly about her words. I begin to think to myself as Luna orders her food. “Had I really changed? I have not stopped the end of this world and caused my partner to suffer. Could I really have made progress?” Images of the dark world where I attempted to drag Simon with me came quickly to my mind. Looking at Luna I could see another pony that I had learned to trust despite my personal decision never to let any other creatures into my heart. I did not trust Simon when it meant the most, I could not do the same to Luna. “Uhm, Luna…”

The waitress and Luna looked at me and the pony smirked as she looked back and forth between us. “I'll leave you two to talk.”

Luna thanked her and placed both front hooves on the table raising an eyebrow. “Yes, Silver? You have been awful quiet for a while. Is anything bothering you?” She sits up in her chair and sips at her water.

I take a deep breath and look to the side of the glass at the moisture forming on the outside slowly sliding to the bottom of the glass only to fall when it made its way down. “You see Luna… I have not been completely honest with you.” The princess seems to be taken aback but does not say a word. I take this as a hint to keep going. “During the battle of Discord, I did not tell you what happened when we were sucked into the void. When I and Simon were in there, we found these portals. They were to other worlds.”

Luna takes a breath and sighs. “Silver Watch, Celestia and I are already aware of such worlds. You need not feel ashamed of your secrecy.” She takes another sip as the waitress brings us our meal. She bites into her sandwich and continues. “When we first discovered these, we were truly unsure of what to do. I understand.”

“No Luna… it's not that we found these worlds, but when we found them, I saw them as a way out. A chance to get away from Equestria and you forever. And I almost did but it failed causing Simon those injuries…” I lower my head in shame wondering how much pain I must have caused Luna just now. But to my surprise, I felt a wing tip brush my mane.

“Silver… you are a pony of mystery to me and yet you have helped Equestria time and time again. I know there are many things you have not told me. I trust that as a friend you will tell me when you feel it is time.”

I thrust my head up looking at the alicorn before me. The moonlight glistened off her fur and feathers. She wore a soft smile that gave off a feeling of understanding. “Luna… you’re not furious or saddened?” I take a gulp of water to relieve the dryness in my throat. She nods holding my sandwich to her mouth and taking a bite. “Well, I guess we really are friends aren’t we Luna?”

The princess nods and crams to sandwich into my mouth. “That we are Silver” Smiling, we finish our meal and talk for a long time.

“Luna, while we are telling each other things, I just want you to know that Celestia asked me to come today.”

Luna shifts in her seat. “I see, and why is my sister so insistent that I need a bodyguard?”

I explain that Celestia had worried about Luna's behavior and that she had been growing distant. “Luna, I have also noticed that you have been slightly off lately. Is there anything on your mind that I can help with?” I place my hoof on hers. “I can help if possible.”

Luna shakes her head but frowns. “No… its nothing to be concerned about.”

Having just gotten through one of the things weighing me down, I frowned and raises my voice. “Luna, if you have something you need to get off your wings, you can tell me.” The princes said nothing and stared at her plate. “Luna! Didn’t we just have the friendship talk!”

She looks at me and I see a tear running down her face. “Silver, it’s not something I wish to discuss.”

At this point, I am practically screaming when I ask the one thing Celestia had forbidden me from speaking of. My eyes were bloodshot and I could not hold back. “Is this about those weird ponies you’re always meeting with at night?” Realizing my mistake, I quickly try to backtrack. “Luna, I didn’t mean to say that…”

Luna jumps to her feat tears shedding from her face. “You are just like the rest of these ponies Silver! I thought you were different living in the same world as I, but you are just like all the other ponies praising the sunny day!”

At the moment, I sensed a great rage inside Luna. The anger and what felt like sadness had welled up and for just a moment, I began to sweat from the power I sensed. “Luna please let me help.”

Without hesitation, Luna opened her wings and with an angry glare begins to fly into the night. I immediately try to fly after her but she turns around and sends a massive magical blast my way. I dodge and look in shock at my only moments ago friend. When I glanced up at Luna again, I could see something oddly familiar. The eyes that moments ago were warm and sympathetic were piercing and looked like those of a serpent. Without another word, she turned and vanished into the darkness. “Luna…”

“After that night, I made my way to Celestia to try and explain what had happened. How I had made the mistake of backing Luna into a corner and the powerful feelings that dwelled in her heart. I tried to make her understand that her sister needed her. But to my surprise, Celestia did not take my warning seriously. I feared that we would lose Luna to worse than simply having her feelings hurt. For months I tried to reach out to her to no avail. She eventually began to shut herself in her tower and only came out to meet with her cloaked ponies. They came and vanished swiftly shedding no light on Luna's troubles. It was until that fateful night that I truly realized how much the princess of the night had fallen to darkness.

I am awoken swiftly by the crashing thunder outside the castle. I make my way to the shutters and push them closed once more. Gazing up at the sky I could see a full moon. I found it strange to see the moon so clearly with such a terrible storm roaring. What more, I spied not a single storm cloud to produce the rain. “How odd, this is not usual of the Pegasus to have such violent weather.” I decide to get a glass of water and exit my chambers. When I do, I am greeted by one of my guards. “Silver Mace, when did you get assigned to night duty?”

As I continue towards the kitchen, the guard laughs. “Captain, it's not night duty anymore.”

His words stop me in my tracks and I begin to think. “Why hasn’t Celestia raised the sun? And why hasn’t Luna lowered her moon? As to answer my questions, the castle begins to shake. I see from a window nearby a flash of light. This was no lightning, it was the light from a high concentration of magic. More specifically, a magical blast. And as if sending more nostalgic energy my way, my hair stood on end when a surge of dark energy coursed through the castle. It immediately brought me back to the time Luna had gotten angry at me. “Oh no, what have you done Luna…?”

Finding the exit, I quickly fly up and survey the area. In the distance, two magical forces clash illuminating the sky. I can sense the power of Celestia and the twisted remains of what I was sure was Luna. With as much speed as I can, I race to the sight of the conflict to find a horrible scene. In the castle courtyard, I find the two sisters. Celestia is beaten and bruised laying in rubble breathing heavily and a large dark pony towering over her. As I make my landing, it is clear that this dark pony is what was Luna. On her flank a similar cutie mark is present but her wings had become pointed like a bat and her horn had grown longer. Overall, the pony standing before me was a large and dark version of my Luna.

The creature had taken notice of my presence and turned to me. She raised her front hooves and gave an evil cackle. “Captain Silver Watch! It seems you have made it. I have been expecting you. What do you think of me now?” She laughs and surrounds herself with dark power.

I began to sweat a little from the drastic change in power. Could this truly have been Luna? I shake my head and stare at the dark pony. “Luna! This is enough. Whatever you are doing here must stop before somepony gets hurt. Stop this madness and yield the sky to your sister.

“HA! You have it wrong Silver. The sky belongs to me now.” She releases her magic and a fog begins to take form. “And as for Luna, well she is no more. I am Nightmare Moon!” With a flash of lightning, she sends a wave of magic towards me. I dodge and jump to Celestia. “Hold still insect. Don’t you realize you work for me now?”

I grab Celestia and throw her out of the way of the next blast. It eats its way through the earth creating a very similar trench. After seeing Celestia is safe, I trot towards Nightmare Moon. She tenses up at my nonchalant advance. “I don’t know about Nightmare Moon, but I want my old Luna back now. Tensing my muscles. I rocket forward into the chest of the dark pony sending her back into a wall. Without hesitation, I make my way above her holding peacemaker in my mouth. “Luna, come to your senses, please. Your friend is here to help you.”

Nightmare moons body began to shake as she laughed harder and harder. “You think you were her friend? Are you seriously thinking that after abandoning her you were still friends?” the dark pony stands and walks forward into the blade. I see her begin to bleed and remove the blade tossing it aside. “I want you to know something Silver Watch, you and Luna are never, will never, and were never friends!”

I growl at Nightmare Moon's words and strike her with my hoof. To my surprise, it phased through her like attacking a cloud. “Shut up! I haven’t had a friend in over a thousand years and you won’t take her from me!” I conjure my aura and blast it in the face of the pony before me. Yet again, it had no effect.

The mad cackles continued as she stepped around me talking into my ears and what felt like my soul. “That aura, it's so dark. We thought we could use you, Silver. But what a disappointment you are.”

She begins to dissipate into the fog making it grow thicker. Around me, her eyes light up. I attempt to blast the figure a few more times to no success. “You couldn’t use me, your only manipulating Luna as it is. She would never do this…” It was clear if I wanted to touch Nightmare moon, I would need to use shooting star. I conjure the blade and am about to activate its sacred power when the world turns to flames.

Suddenly, as if having read my mind I am in the same burning world from my dreams. I begin to run terrified that perhaps Silence was beginning his destruction. But then I saw her. Luna, standing in the same attire as when I dreamed before. And to make it worse, her body began to become engulfed in flames. “Luna!” I tried to tackle her and extinguish the flame but as my body touches hers, it collapses into a pile of ash. I try to pick up the ashes as they blow away. “No! Luna please come back! I didn’t want this… I wanted to save you!”

From behind me, the cackle of Nightmare Moon begins to grow louder. “Seems your guiltier than I imagined Silver.” She walks up to me and the fog begins to fade bringing us back to the courtyard. As she trots in front of me, she uses her hoof to raise my head. My eyes full of tears. “You have lost her Silver Watch.”

My broken sadness turns to rage as I see the face of what once was Luna. “Damn you, Nightmare Moon!” I hurl shooting star at her. It passes right through her and lodges itself in the side of the castle wall. My body swells with energy and I step forward ready to decimate Nightmare Moon.

She walks forward calmly as her horn begins to light up. “Finally, the final piece of the plan is in place.” My eyes widen as she says this and I start to jump. “I think not” Below my hooves, the ground ignites with magic and quickly engulfs my body. Like chains attached to my soul, it holds me in place. “For my plan to succeed, you must be out of the picture Captain Silver Watch.”

I jerk and blast the earth below me trying to work my body free. But the magic stays strong. “Luna, please come out from that monster!” The magic begins to swirl and my body slowly starts to descend into the earth. “You think this is enough to hold me, Nightmare Moon? I am the Traverser, the destroyer of worlds. You will not…”

The magic covers my mouth silencing me. Nightmare Moon slowly approaches and her body begins to be wrapped in the same magic. “That’s nice Silver Watch, but I have finally found the weakness that you possess. You truly have the power to match any foe, but you do not have any magic in your body. It is a power you cannot counter, and as long as I exist and my magic is inside you, you shall be alone again. Now Silence in my presence!”

Her words echoed in my ears as I slipped through the earth. Nightmare Moons body escapes from my view and I find myself slipping into an underground cave. In front of me, I see the same cloaked ponies as before. They begin to chant and their horns erupt with magic surrounding me and mixing with Nightmare Moons own power. To my shock, my feet begin to tingle and as I look down, my body begins to turn to stone. I struggle once more but am unable to budge. Tears run down my face as the magic slowly takes me and my body encased in stone.

Even though my body was stone, I could still see and hear my surroundings. The dark cave slowly turned pitch black as the ponies exited the area. I wondered for a moment if Discord shared a similar fate. But none of that mattered now. The pony who had become my friend had been lost to darkness. My only companion had been put in harm's way by my own ignorance and now I had been trapped in this state with an uncertain amount of time before my release. I suppose I would have to wait until Nightmare Moon was defeated and Luna returned to normal…

“That night slowly blurred as the idea of release left me. For days turned to weeks and weeks to months and eventually, weeks turned to years. I had yet again fallen for the trouble that was trusting others. I would not make this mistake again. Not that I could if I wanted too. So, there I stayed, and there I am. The destroyer of everything laid in eternal slumber. I had no friend, or way to pass the time except to think about the memories I had. I relived in my mind countless times the way that I came to be in this place. The mistakes I had made from the beginning and the newer scars I had created. But as painful as it was to understand, I truly felt like I was in absolute Silence. Perhaps this was the end of my journey. A monster, cast away to always as it had been to be truly alone."

Comments ( 4 )

This is a very excellent story wonder will be a sequel????

92897
I'd say the odds are very good! Just give a little time. I'm finishing college so I'm busy busy busy. Thank you for the comment!

Wow... Just, wow... this was a very interesting story and I have enjoyed reading it. I hope there’s a sequel :pinkiehappy: pretty please!

9311195
Definitely look forward to more adventures! Thanks for the read and glad you enjoyed it!

Login or register to comment