• Published 17th Jul 2017
  • 1,147 Views, 14 Comments

"The Traverser" - TheTwins



Silver Watch is an earth pony who possess extraordinary abilities and has now lived for over two thousand years. However, most of this time was not spent in Equestria and Silver Watch is in fact not his real name.

  • ...
6
 14
 1,147

A World of Ponies

“The Traverser”

Chapter 2 “A world of Ponies”

“Two thousand years would most likely stand out to the normal individual as an extended period of time where an unimaginable number of events might transpire. However, for me, this was simply the beginning of an endless cycle I had no hope of breaking. As the Traverser, I was given the distinct pleasure of an extended life traveling farther and learning more than could be found in any library. I built my strength slowly and had risen to the top of the food chain. However, In the end all of the knowledge and power gained would mean nothing as I was forced to carry out my part as the herald of destruction for so many universes.

Surely you have heard the saying that when one door closes, another shall appear fully open in time. This is really a fancy way of saying that just because one opportunity has been lost, another is just around the corner. Sadly, I must inform you that two thousand years has taught me quite well that the door that opens is never promised to lead you to a warm hug. Especially in my case where every new door was a reminder that my days of good fortune and happiness were long past and I would soon make this so for many others.

I am happy to tell you however that my terrible backstory is over and now you have the ever more unfortunate opportunity to learn the story of an earth pony by the name of Silver Watch. If you are to expect that this story is full of let alone ends with happiness, then you are better off finding a way to return through the door in which you came. Otherwise, find a comfortable place to sit back and hear the tale of Silver Watch. The earth pony who did not belong and the earth pony who shared this sentiment.”

As usual, when I stepped through the dark door there is a completely unfamiliar aura associated with the new world that is to be traversed. However, this new world gave off a natural existence. Nature and beauty seemed to be everywhere giving me the rare opportunity to enjoy a simple moment. I breathed in deeply attuning with the feel of the world. The trees, wind, and water gave me the feeling of peace. It was a gracious feeling that I wish I could have enjoyed much longer. But that would have to wait.

I breathed out slowly and began to move forward. I placed an appendage in front of me and to my surprise, I see a dark blue hoof. For a moment I just start until the idea settles in my mind that it was attached to me. I blink and then react. “Oh my gosh!” I bounce up and down look at my two new hooves unable to decide on an appropriate reaction. In the corner of my vision, I see a stream running through the forest into a small pool. I quickly trot over amazed at the ease of control over my new limbs.

As I arrived at the pool, I gaze down and looking back at me is a blue pony sporting a blackish grey mane. I play with my face feeling my muzzle and new set of teeth. I react in the best way I could. “Well… this is new.” I say aloud unsure of the purpose of this form. I wiggle my ears and chuckle before realizing a very important detail. “Wait, I’m a talking pony, this is kind of amazing!” I start to talk to myself laughing at the way my voice sounds through this new pony mouth. I think for a moment and conjure my sword to me. “Well, this is, as usual, this day keeps getting weirder and weirder though.”

As I make my observations, a voice begins to shout from behind me. “You're telling me, I look terrible in fur!” I instantly jump back and analyze the area the voice had come from. It was right on top of me yet nowhere now. How could any creature sneak up on me so easily? Instinctually, I unsheathe my blade ready for combat.

“Who's there?” I ask determining who this invisible creature was. To answer my question, my sword glows green and a miniature pony of the same shade appears. This pony is smaller than my head and is looking at me with a frustrated face.

The green pony makes a shrugging motion and huffs. “Um, hello, it’s your friendly little familiar here duh.” He jumps onto my face and looks me in the eyes. His adorable body looks angry as he stomps on my nose to no effect. I scratch my nose just to make him angrier.

Looking at the pony I blink and smile realizing this little pony was no other than my companion. “Oh, it's just you Simon, don’t scare me like that.” I extend my hoof so he can exit my nose and hold him as I sit on my haunches.

The tiny and frustrated pony bounces up and down as I had previously but in a much more adorable less threatening way. “What do you mean by that, I am the great and powerful familiar of the Traverser. I deserve more respect than that sad display.” He then folds his forearms in a very adorable non-threatening way.

I chuckle at his theatrics as I begin to walk forward once more. Taking in nature and curious as to where this worlds inhabitant might be. “Now Simon, as far as I know, you have never aided me in battle, you make every creature we meet think I’m crazy, and your little jokes are your only redeeming quality. And even they aren’t really any funny.”

The little pony gasps at the comment and gallops out of my hoof and onto my back grabbing my ear. “You can’t possibly mean that, besides I have amazing jokes. Have you heard the one about the pony with no friends? Big spoiler here, It’s you.” I roll my eyes at him and we get on our way.

After a few hours of walking through the mysterious forest listening to the endless banter about neglecting Simon, we finally made our way to a small village. The houses were very rustic made of different grasses for roofs and cobblestone bases. The inhabitants were ponies as well, giving me the answer to my new form. They all seemed to be living very rustic lives. But from the looks of things, they were a very close-knit community of intelligent pony kind. Some wore clothes and there was a visible market set up.

After a few minutes of observation, I turn to Simon and speak softly. “Alright, Simon, why don’t you go back into the sword while I investigate the village.” He rolls his little eyes before dissolving back into the blade. As he dissipates, he makes a comment about remembering he is actually there, for now, one before being completely gone.

Rolling my eyes back at him, I turn once more toward the town and think that the marketplace would be the best place to start. I begin to trot into the town looking at the cool ponies. They have stores everywhere, little foals running and playing and of course the best part, the weapons shop. I enter the main market area and see the weapons shop and a fruit stand with delicious looking apples. I approach the stallion working the blacksmiths' booth and begin to speak to him. “Um… Hello fellow pony, how are you on this majestic day? I say awkwardly making conversation realizing I had no idea how they would talk.

The gruff stallion was sporting a beard and a pale grey coat with a white mane. He was obviously one of the older stallions around and he looked as if he was experienced with his craft. He gives me a calm grin and raises a brow at my words showing a lot of confusion before putting my words into meaning. “Uh, well yes I suppose it is, you must be new around here young stallion. Please, you don’t have to try so hard. We ponies in this village talk just as well as any other pony.” He chuckles at my look of embarrassment and pats me on the shoulder.

I sigh as I realize communication was not going to be an issue and blush realizing I had been the one to make the fool of myself. I also feel bad thinking of how I assumed because they were ponies that they would not be intelligent. I clear my throat and start once more at the old stallion. “Well thank you sir, and yes I am new to the area and I am just a little nervous to talk to new ponies. I was actually hoping to learn a little about where I am actually, and you seem to be pretty wise.”

The old stallion smiles and shakes my hoof. “Well now, this old stallion can help you out with just that. Welcome to the village of Trotting Pass, the best place for travelers to resupply in all of Equestria! The names Iron Ingot and I run the blacksmith shop here in town.”

I listen to his words but have a hard time as I try to wrap my mind around how we just shook hooves. I then observe all the stalls around me and notice a similar pattern. Most of the stalls, even the ones selling common things such as fruit or hardware also carried weapons. I then gaze into his stall seeing various weapons and metal works. “Wow, for such a peaceful village, isn’t there a large number of weapons?”

Turning to look at his own creations, he scratches his head and laughs. “Well, I suppose you have a point. But what with the Everfree forest being right beside the town and that tyrant Discord showing his vile neck ever so often, pony folks can’t be to prepared with defending their families.” As he finishes his words, a magenta colored filly comes running up to Iron and hugs him. “Speaking of family, this is my grand filly now.”

The little filly squeezes his leg and turns to me smiling. “Hello, I’m Sweetie Blossom. It’s nice to meet you.” But she stops smiling and looks at me with curiosity. Like a lion approaching its prey, she lowers herself and begins to circle me. Iron and I share looks of confusion. She comes around to my right side. “Umm, Is your name Silver Watch?” I look at her confused as she walks closer poking my side. My hair stands up as I cannot stand being touched so casually. “See, your cutie mark is a silver watch, so obviously your name has to be something like that. So, I choose Silver Watch!”

I turn my head to examine the fillies’ accusations and sure enough emblazoned on my flank it the watch I thought I had lost. Thinking back, I realize that most of the ponies I had seen also sported strange tattoos like this. I was relieved to learn that for whatever crazy reason when a pony discovers their talent, a mark appears to show the world. It was in fact not a cult sign like I was worried about. I laugh about that pony pun and look back to Sweet Blossom. “Wow, that’s the first time someone has outright guessed my name so easily.”

The little filly looks at me oddly and laughs. “You meant to say Somepony right Silver!” She begins to jump around uncontrollably. “You are one funny pony Silver.”

I hold back the intense sensation to burst into laughter at this strange wording and decide to embrace it fully while I am here. “Why of course you silly filly, I was just messing around.”

Iron walks up to Sweet Blossom and hands her a letter. Sweetie, please take this to your mother for me.” He gently tucks the letter into a small bag Sweetie is carrying and pats her head. With a salute, she nods her head before running off. She stops for a moment turns around a waves goodbye before continuing her journey.

I wave to her as she runs off and continue the conversation with Iron for a while. Before long, the sun starts to set and I say my goodbyes. The stallion offered me a place to stay but I graciously decline to tell him I prepared a camp nearby. I really do not prefer camping, but over the years I came to correlate spending to much time with anypony as being the start of caring for them. So instead, I hoofed it back into the Everfree forest and made camp in a cave. I had learned a lot today.

There were three main types of ponies in the land of Equestria. They consisted of the earth pony, which is what I was apparently, the Pegasus is a pony with wings and the ability to live above the clouds, and the unicorn, a pony having a horn and the ability to use magic. Aside from this, I was told that there was also that of the alicorn. A rare pony that had the traits of all three-sub species of pony. Apparently, their rulers were these alicorns or at least they would be if it wasn’t for this Discord. Discord is a Draconequus, a creature made of many different animal parts. He is supposedly the Lord of Chaos and has been wreaking havoc across the land. So, I suppose they are in a state of war.

Simon appeared before me and just looked at me. “Really, Silver Watch. That’s the name you decide to go with? Some filly just says hey I’m going to associate you with the picture on your flank and the two-thousand-year entity of destruction just goes along with it!”

I face hoof and sigh. “Simon, it’s not that big a deal, the name doesn’t matter and it’s easy to remember ok.

Simon proceeds to dance around in front of me mocking me. “Yeah, sure, why don’t I try. Just call me little green or pony who lives in your sword or the one stuck with you telling bad jokes, those are great names and so easy to remember, yeah let’s do that.”

I sit down and look at the stars, thinking about how nice this world is. I look at Simon who notices my expression and calms down. He trots over and sits next to me.

He looks up and sighs. “They don’t have a chance at all do they?”

I look at him and frown. “Likely not, if ponies are all that can face Silence at the end, there really isn’t much to question. I guess we need to just learn what little we can before the end.”

Simon kicks a small pebble near him and groans. “This job stinks.”

The moon above us casts a light directly into the cave. I materialize another sword in front of me and make sure everything is as it should be. I pull on the sheath of the blade and as usual, it doesn’t budge.
I place the two swords on the ground and point to them. “Simon, analyze the swords and tell me if anything is different.”

Simon trots over to them and looks at me. “Why of course master Silver, I feel at ease knowing you will keep watch of our fine home while I’m away on business.”

I roll my eyes and watch him materialize into the swords as they start to glow. Of my weapons, I have come to wield two swords. They are both Katanas, bearing the names Peace Maker and Shooting Star. Peacemaker is just a normal sword that I have had the longest, it is, however, the home of my very annoying partner who does basically nothing and pays no rent. Peace Maker is a trusted weapon and has never seen a loss like all of my weapons. Shootingstar is different in many respects, however. On all of my journeys, I gained power immeasurable by normal means. Powers so strong, if not kept in check, could very well destroy entire worlds if not used responsibly.

In an effort to keep myself from doing so, I sealed most of my power inside of Shooting Star, and only when it judges my opponent worthy will it unsheathe enough to give me access to these powers. I can recall only two times when Shooting Star has completely unsheathed, these fights being on a scale that one could not conceive. I can materialize Shooting star at will, but under normal circumstances, it serves no purpose.

I notice a bright flash and see Simon materialize grinning. “Well, everything appears to be in tip-top shape, although I could use an attic if at all possible. Do you want to know about Trick Wish as well?”

I groan and shake my head back and forth. “No Simon, thank you but I believe that’s best left a secret to me. Thank you, you can turn in for the night, and by the way, I might find some extra closet space if you’re a good little green this month.”

Simon laughs sarcastically and disappears. If you were wondering, there is actually another sword. Trick Wish is the name of Silences personal weapon. It’s a katana as well, but it is extremely long and completely black. When the time of the test is near for the universe, Silence yanks me back to his little room in my dreams and takes control as I watch him destroy everything. It’s not exactly something I care to think about and I named it in honor of that demons’ terrible scam. But, as I look at the stars tonight, I still hope that anything would change this journey I am on, anything…

“If you were to ask anypony, they would tell you that the universe is an infinite realm of stars stretching forever. I would tell you that the universe is not infinite in any aspects, in fact, I have seen hundreds and they never live up to my expectations. As sad and Ironic as it is, the only thing that the universe is, is a lot of voices. Voices of all who dwell in them, love in them and see a warm inviting atmosphere. The best way to put it is that the universe is one big poem that draws you in with beauty and mystery, but at the end of it all, you always know what happens last. In the last stanza of this poem, it always ends in Silence.”

Author's Note:

This chapter has been updated too!

Well, there is still a lot to be done. Hope that everyone is enjoying so far. This is my first Fan fic, so please feel free to tell me how you think its going so far. Thank you.
-TheTwins