• Published 17th Jul 2017
  • 1,147 Views, 14 Comments

"The Traverser" - TheTwins



Silver Watch is an earth pony who possess extraordinary abilities and has now lived for over two thousand years. However, most of this time was not spent in Equestria and Silver Watch is in fact not his real name.

  • ...
6
 14
 1,147

The pony in the clearing

“The Traverser”

Chapter 3

I awoke the next morning to the sound of birds chirping and when my eyes opened, I was astonished by the sight before me. Outside the cave where we made camp, the morning dew had yet to fade, while the sun’s rays perfectly hit the droplets of water, making for what appeared to me as a carpet made of rainbows covering the ground. I took a moment to appreciate this and observed two blue birds playing with one another. It was simple, but moments like this reminded me that a test of strength was not enough to determine one's true worth. There was much more value to be placed on things that individuals such as I had no right to experience.


With a groan, I forced myself up onto my hooves, mentally reminding myself that no matter how many times one tries, a rock is simply no substitute for a pillow. With an arch of my back, I yawn and step outside ready for a day of exploring. I gather my sword and throw the strap over my shoulders, then I cover myself in a robe and start to walk deeper into the Everfree.

“I suppose that since the people in the village were scared, it would be a good idea to see what’s out here.”

As I pressed on, the forest seemed to become more and more wild. The birds and other normal woodland creatures became more and more scarce. It was starting to bug me how there was still so much fog as the morning dragged on.

When I came to a stream, I took a moment to drink and then jumped over pressing on. There were large plants now in my way, so I started to push them aside. They were dark green and quite large, about twice my size. They appeared to be some type of fly trap, but what puzzled me the most was the fact that they moved.

Just as I came to the middle of a patch of these plants, everything came to life. The vegetation started to shake madly and they all turned towards me. The hair on my back stood up as the one on my left rocketed forward trying to grab me with what was now very visible sharp teeth. I jumped back and narrowly escaped the assault. I unsheathed peacemaker and watched the plants carefully. I could have sworn these things had begun to smile now, as I watched them begin to lick their lips believing they had trapped an easy meal.

“Seriously, you didn’t even wash your faces and you’re already trying to pig out. Fine then, allow me to dice up some veggies for you.”

With a flash, I move between the plants cutting the stems and exiting the patch. I turn around and watch them fall to the ground. “No pony really wants the salad with their meal anyways.”

As I continue to walk, peacemaker glows and Simon appears on my shoulder groaning. “Good morning Silver Watch, what’s all the noise about?”

I grin and look over my shoulder. “Oh, you know, had to do a little weeding is all. This forest is full of crazy things.”

Simon climbs on top of my head and peers forward. “Well, that sounds like something we have become far too familiar with. Maybe we will fight a dragon or something today, wouldn’t that be exciting.”

I shrug and pat his head. “I don’t believe there will be any dragons Simon, besides the last dragon we met was not even a challenge, it was like a puppy, except with razor sharp fangs and fire instead of fleas.”

Simon growls and bites my ear. “I’m just saying a little excitement would be a nice change of pace. A dragon or a sea monster or a wolf…”

I stop and laugh. “Ok, first off, I’m pretty sure that were missing the sea part of the sea monster equation and how is a wolf exciting?”

Simon taps my head and points forward. “No, I mean wolf, look!”

I turn my head and inches from me an odd creature is bounding towards me. Instinctively, I jump backward as the oddly formed canine barely misses my face. As the wolf glides past, Simon uses his back hooves to buck the left cheek of the canine doing most likely nothing but antagonizing it.

“Take that,” says Simon as the creature rolls over a couple of yards from me and stands back up. “Bad freak of nature!”

Again, I draw Peace Maker and start to circle the wolf looking at its very odd skin. It appears to be made of some kind of wood. I can see leaves above its glowing eyes acting as eyebrows. It was obvious from the look on its face that it had nothing in mind but a pony snack.

From the forest, two more wolves approached from both sides of the original. They began to growl and salivate while beginning to encircle me. Then, in unison, they sent forth a chilling howl as if telling the forest about the blood about to be spilled.

Simon smiles and scratches his chin. “Well, you know what every brave hoof size pony says in the face of the crazed beast,” Simon salutes me and fades into my sword. “Tag, you're it!”

I sigh and lower myself watching every move the pack makes. “Gee, thank you my loyal companion.”

At this point, the three had me surrounded. One directly behind me, and two on my front left and right. Not one of us was moving an inch, and the entire forest seemed to copy us. Finally, in unison, the three pounced at once going for my blind spots. Unfortunately for them, two thousand years has given me countless opportunities to fight against the odds. That, and I have no blind spots.

I jump into a backflip, bringing the tip of my sword straight through the head of the hound behind me. Removing the blade, I fling Peace Maker toward the wolf on my left cutting it off at the knees. The last wolf charges at me full force, going for what I could assume was the kill. It launches itself into the air and like instinct, I place my right forehoof into its mouth. It bites down and I lift up. I grin as I look into its glowing angry eyes and rear back. With all my force, I throw the wolf forward into a nearby tree shattering it into thousands of little pieces.

“Ha-ha, I guess you really are all bark and no bite!” I retrieve my sword and start to walk away as Simon appears.

“Did you seriously just make that joke Silver?”

I look at the miniature green pony and frown. “Did you seriously think you could pull off that shade of green?”

Simons jaw drops as we continue through the woods. “Oh ho, touché, but did I ever tell you the one about the pony with no friends?”

I groan and hop over a crack in some rocks. “Please Simon, you literally told me that just yesterday.”

“Yes, I did, but it’s just as funny now as it was then…”



As we come to the edge of a clearing, there in front of us is a garrison of several ponies. I block Simons' mouth and start to observe. I counted five ponies in total. Four seemed to be regular unicorns outfitted with fairly nice armor. They also brandished iron swords with their equipment. They must have been at least fairly experienced in combat by the looks of it. The last was much bigger than the other and was a mare. She was larger in the aspect of height and physical build. She towered over the others and had a sort of look about her. She had a fairly dark blue coat not too far from my own, and a mane that was ethereal and stunning. She appeared to be under pressure and on edge. I admit, I kind of wanted to push her buttons just from looking at her. However, from what I could see, she had no sword. Her armor, on the other hand, was obviously a piece of art. It was similar to her companions in material, but its design was elegant and functional. On her chest plate, there was a crescent moon, which matched her cutie mark.

“Did you seriously just block the beautiful words I gifted you with!” Simon yells not catching my reason for the muzzle.

I look at Simon fiercely and duck down, but before I could hide our presence, an ethereal force shoots towards us.

“Who goes there!” A voice that shook the very earth around us questioned. The blue pony looks in our direction and I sigh.

“ Ha-Ha, um hey there…”

Author's Note:

I have been out for a bit, with school but I believe I am going to get a lot done very soon. Shout out to my Bro for helping!