• Published 14th Apr 2017
  • 641 Views, 4 Comments

Changeling Magic - TheEveryDaySparkle



A researcher gives us the low down on magic

  • ...
1
 4
 641

Research Report

Dr. Chrysanthemum Holiday

Occupation: Researcher

Topic: Equestrian Magic

Notes:

"What is magic? Is it a surge of strength, or a display of impossible power? Is it a feeling, such as a vision or a sudden instinctual reaction to the world around us? Is it tangible, such as that of a magician? Or is it not at all real, and it's all just a fantasy created by our minds to satisfy our need to have something new to pursue and study?

"Well, my fellow scientists and my esteemed guests, I am here to tell you that it indeed does exist. In fact, there are several types of it as well.

"The first type of magic, is nature magic. It is the driving force in all that we do. It is the reason we wake up in the morning, the reason we know to do what we do every day, and the reason we do not remain afloat in a world that continues moving through time. In fact, time itself is a form of nature magic. Time, being a predetermined form of eternal magic outside of the realm of everything save a few select individuals, is a part of nature in that it has no known origin. It came into existence naturally, just the same way as you or I. The only indication of time given to us is the passing of the sun and the moon through the sky, yet another natural occurrence that we take for granted as we do not possess the necessity nor the ability or right to change it. Time and nature make up a magic that is not tangible, nor is it felt. At least, not in the normal sense, for there exists a nature inside of us all. This nature is what makes us who we are, and drives our destiny and the things we are bound to do within the gears of time In short, nature magic is a magic that gains its power from being a force that is latent within all of us. No matter what we do, who we know, or how we do things, it is and always will be a form of silent instinct that no one notices until they question their own lives.

"The second type of magic, or should I say the second types of magic, given that nature magic is the origin and therefore driving force behind all magic, are earth pony magic, unicorn magic, and pegasi magic.

"Earth pony magic is directly tied to nature magic, given their station on the ground and predisposition to the care-taking of the land. They absorb the natural magic from the ground and, without knowing, use it to aid in the many feats of strength they perform daily. The magic of earth ponies often goes unnoticed even by themselves.

"Unicorn magic is tied to the earth as well, for one of the same reasons listed above. However, unicorns have the blessing of a horn, and therefore possess a means to aid in the expelling of their magic outwards and toward a specific target. By gaining knowledge of the magic they use, they can gain a better understanding of it, and therefore find a way to better make use of it, which they lack the ability to do when their young, given their inexperience and tendency to get carried away.

"Pegasi magic is also a form of nature magic, except for the fact that their magic comes not from the ground, but the air. They take in the magic surrounding them and use it to fly with their wings, and walk on the clouds they so easily make use of in their everyday lives.

"Yet another type of magic is the magic of friendship. Not to be confused with friendship magic, also known as rainbow magic.

"The magic of friendship is indeed as self explanatory as it sounds. It is the magic born from the feelings one has for one's friends. It is made more powerful from the transference of these powers to said friends and back, and is made even more powerful if those feelings are even stronger.

"Now, the differences between the magic of friendship and friendship magic lie within their specified target, as well as their function. The magic of friendship targets the caster, and has the effect of strengthening their spells or enchantments, whereas friendship magic, or rainbow power, targets the perceived 'enemy' or 'threat', and has the effect of eradicating all corruption within them using the strong feelings of love and affection shared by the caster and their friends.

"Another type of magic is Alicorn magic, which is so tied in with nature magic, that the sources of their power are abstract concepts. Of course, they don't always have to be. This is demonstrated in cases such as the power of the sun or the moon. However, the magic is usually tied to something intangible, such as friendship or love, a form of magic that I have had personal experience with.

"In my search for data on the types of magic, I came across a kingdom that was full of the most beautiful ponies in all of equestria. However, in my drive to study their magic, I did something to incur the wrath of the ruler there. I was subsequently blasted away with a beam of the most pure magic I'd ever felt.

"I was kicked out and told never to return. I was banished to a desolate land full of nothing but sand and more sand. I was bruised, tired and beaten, but I didn't let that stop me.

"I found a group of strange creatures that helped me get back on my feet. They called themselves changelings. When I told them I was a magic researcher, they were happy to share their secrets with me.

"Their magic was a form of transformation, very similar, and yet very different from our transfiguration. Transfiguration is simply the changing of one form of matter into another. However, Transformation is very distinct from its lesser counterpart.

"I warn you. Listen closely, and pay attention to my every word from this point forward, for what I am about to tell you is very, very important. In order to properly make use of transformation, you must have intimate knowledge of the pony you wish to take the form of. Yes, note the difference in word choice there. With transfiguration, you simply turn one thing into another. With transformation, you turn yourself, into somepony else entirely.

"The process goes like this. First, the change. As your body takes on the form of the chosen pony you want to mimic, your body structure changes as well. Your body structure changes to mimic that of the pony you want to transform into. The same goes for your coat color, etc. To an extent, your DNA changes to that of the pony you copied. But the trick is, unlike transfiguration, where the figure is turned into something else, the base pony does not go away in transformation, which is the only reason why you can change back into yourself.

"That being said, due to all the changes the magic has to make, there is a slight pain in the process, which is why they catch fire when the magic takes place.

"Stop here, at this step. For if you are not careful, you may go into step two. Step two, a step that only takes place if the changeling does not change back withing a month or so, goes like this. Your body, while still in the form of the pony you chose to change into, begins to adapt to the new body.

"Your voice changes, your thoughts change to mimic those of the other pony, your movements and mannerisms change, all the way down until you officially become a carbon copy of the pony you chose, in every sense of the word. There would essentially be two of that pony now.

"And for those lucky enough to change back....Well, let's just say...the results are not pretty."

Chrysalis

Occupation: Queen of the Changelings

Comments ( 4 )

Here is a thing or two to improve upon in this story.

Time, being a predetermined form of eternal magic outside of the realm of any and everything save a few select individuals

I would remove 'any and'.

At least, not in the sense as it can sensed normally. For there exists a nature inside of us all as well.

At least, not in the normal sense, for there exists a nature inside of us all.

No matter what we do, who we know, or how we do things, it is and will always be the case, it is a form of silent instinct that not one notices until they question their own lives.

I think this flows a little bit better like this.

...it is and always will be a form of silent instinct that no one notices until they question their own lives.

"Earth pony magic is directly tied to nature magic? given their station on the ground and predisposition to the care-taking of the land.

Needs a comma.

The absorb the natural magic from the ground and, without knowing, use it to aid in the many feats of strength they perform daily. The magic of earth ponies often goes unoticed even by themselves.

I believe you meant to put they. And unnoticed is misspelled in the last sentence here.

However, unicorns have the blessing of a horn, and therefore posses a means to aid in the expelling of their magic outwards and toward a specific target.

possess.

It is the magic born from the feelings one has for one's friend or friends.

I would just put friends. No need to add a redundancy in there.

and is made even more lpowerful if those feelings are even stronger.

powerful.

However, in my drive to study their magic, I did something to incur the wrath of the ruler their.

there.

I was subsequently blasted away with a beam of the most pure magic i'd ever felt.

Capitalize the I.

Listen closely, and pay attention to my every word from this point forward, for what I am about to tell you is very very important.

I don't believe you need the first comma here, but you definitely need a comma separating very and very.

"That being said, due to all the changes the magic has to make, there is a slight pain in the process? which is why they catch fire when the magic takes place.

Needs a comma there.

I liked this piece. It was pretty neat, as BellChime said.

Login or register to comment