• Published 18th Feb 2017
  • 1,295 Views, 2 Comments

Mama's Day - ravensky384



What makes a mother? Spike struggles to find the answer

  • ...
2
 2
 1,295

Mama's Day

"Alright Angel Bunny, this flower wreath is almost done. Should we add more daisy's or roses?" Fluttershy asked her bunny friend. Angel pointed at the Daisy's.

"Good idea, Mom loves Daisy's." she said as she tied more onto the wreath. "All right done." Fluttershy tied a pink ribbon on her mom's present. Angel Bunny tugs on her tail pointing.

"Hmm, what is it Angel"? Fluttershy said looking up at all the extra flowers now covering the entire cottage. "oh, guess we should clean up first."

Over in Twilight's castle, Twilight is busy wrapping a book for her mother who was coming to visit that afternoon. Spike was busy sweeping the castle floors and Starlight Glimmer had gone back to her original home to visit her mother.

"Done." said Twilight. Spike stopped sweeping and looked up. "Mama's day only comes once a year, I hope Mom likes her gift." she said.

"I'm sure she will Twilight." said Spike reassuring his friend.

Twilight smiled, "Your right Spike, what would I do without you"? she said gently hugging her dragon friend.

"Um Twilight, I think I'll go see what the rest of ponyvile is up to." Spike said quickly.

"Oh alright. have fun."



Spike heads out smiling, but as soon as he is out of range he lets out a big sigh. Apple Jack happened to be passing by and turned to Spike.

"What's the matter sugarcube"? she asked.

"Oh, hey Apple Jack. uh nothing is wrong." Spike smiled. The orange earth pony raised her eyebrow.

"Now Spike," she began.

"Alright, the truth is, I'm confilicted."

"What do you mean"? asked Apple Jack.

"It's Mama's Day and I don't have a mother."

"Neither do I." Apple Jack said simply.

Spike looked at her confused, "But you don't seem upset about it" he said

"Granny Smith raised Big Mac, Apple Bloom and me, so I see her as my sort of mother figure." she told him.

"Mother figure"? he asked

"It's somepony who isn't really your mom, but you see that pony as your mom." The little dragon still looked confused. Apple Jack thought for a moment.

"I know, why don't I take you around Ponyville to see what the others are doing for Mama's day." she said taking her little dragon friend by the claw.

Twilight watched out as her two friends leave.

"So where are we going first"? asked Spike

"We are going to go see Rainbow Dash."

"But um isn't her mom...you know." asked Spike, not wanting to say the word.

"Yes, but that doesn't mean Rainbow doesn't still celebrate the holiday."
The find Rainbow Dash out in the field busy practicing.

"Hey Rainbow!" Apple Jack called surprising Rainbow Dash and causing her to tumble slightly. The blue pegasus turns to see her friends standing below on the ground.

"Oh hey guys, just a sec I'll be right down." she said flying towards them.

"What were you doing"? Spike asked.

"I'm practicing to show my dad. For Mama's day." Rainbow said

"But he's your dad." the dragon exclaimed.

"Yeah, but he still raised me, So I celebrate Mama's Day and Papa's Day on the same day." Rainbow told him. "We switch back and fourth each year on which day it falls on."

"You see Spike." Apple Jack said

"Kinda, but I'm still a little confused." he told her.

"Why don't you go see Scootaloo." Rainbow suggests to the two.

"Good idea Rainbow, I think we will." said Apple Jack as they waved goodbye to their friend.

"I thought Scootaloo didn't have either of her parents." said Spike

"She doesn't, but still let's go see."

The two friends find Scootaloo with the rest of the CMC in the crusader clubhouse. All three were making cards.
Sweetie Bell was covering hers in glitter.
Apple Bloom was adding some flower stickers
and Scootaloo was painting some lightning bolts on hers.

"Howdy Applebloom." called Apple Jack to her little sister.

"Apple Jack, Spike, what are you guys doing here"? she asked

"We're here to see Scootaloo. I'm showing Spike what some of our friends are doing for Mama's Day." she said giving her sister a look. Apple Bloom nodded understanding what her sister meant immediately.

"Oh of course, uh Scootaloo!" she called to her pegasus friend.

"Yeah, what's up?"

" What are you doing for Mama's Day"? Apple Jack asked her.

"Oh I'm making this card for Rainbow Dash, and then I have these cool tricks I'm going to show her later when she gets back from her dads."

"But Rainbow Dash isn't really related to you." Spike said

"I know, but she's like a big sister. We are so close and since I don't have any parents, she's the closest I have."

The little dragon thought for a moment and then turned to Apple Jack.

"I think I understand, but..."

"Perhaps we should visit one more pony?" said Apple Jack. Spike nodded silently climbing onto Apple Jack's back and she galloped off towards Sugar Cube Corner.

The two arrive and find Pinkie Pie busy baking a cake.

"Howdy Pinkie." called Apple Jack. Pinkie Pie stopped mixing and looked up at her friends.

"Hi Apple Jack, Hi Spike"!

"Who's the cake for"? Spike asked

"It's for Mrs. Cake for Mama's Day." she told him

"But Pinkie, you have a mother." the little dragon said looking really confused.

"Yeah, I already finished my gift for when I go visit her tomorrow." Pinkie Said grabbing the cake pan from the cupboard. "Mrs. Cake lets me live here and she is like a second mother to me so it only fits that I make her something. Pound and Pumpkin are out on a picnic with the two right now giving me time to bake this cake." Pinkie popped the cake into the oven and set a timer.

Spike stood there thinking for a moment. He paced back and fourth while Apple Jack and Pinkie Pie watch him. Finally, he turned toward Apple Jack and said,

"I understand now, thanks Apple Jack."

"Anytime sugarcube."

"Um...There is something I need to do, will you help me?" he asked her. Apple Jack just nodded and the two head back out.


Later that evening Spike stood waiting for Twilight to come back from dropping her mom off at the train station. He nervoucly rocked back and fourth clutching a small wrapped package. Soon Twilight came into the door. Spike quickly ran up to her.

"Twilight." he said.

"What is it Spike"? she turned to her friend.

Spike spoke fast and nervously, "I know your not really my Mom, and I don't want you to think I'm implying anything, but you did hatch me and you raised me, so I uh...happy Mama's Day." He handed her the package. Twilight stood there stunned for a moment, then she smiled and took the present.

It was a book.


"Oh Spike, this is wonderful." she exclaimed. She opened the book to find it was a photo album containing pictures of her and Spike. Twilight looked through the photos tears forming in her eyes.

"Spike, this is the best present anypony has ever gotten for me." she said bending down to hug him.

Spike now also crying, reached up and hugged her back.

Finally Twilight released him and said, "Come on Spike, let's go grab something to eat." Spike nodded and followed Twilight out of the room.

Spike stared out the window and thought, "Mother, sister, friend. It didn't matter to him, Twilight was all of these and the little dragon couldn't be happier.




"

Comments ( 2 )

I absolutely love stories like this. :heart::twilightsmile:

I really like this story. I can definitely imagine it as an animation:)

Login or register to comment