• Published 15th Dec 2016
  • 847 Views, 21 Comments

Blooming Talent 2: Prodigal Son - Griffin Productions



Apple Bloom is the hero of Equestria, and the world has known peace. But all things must come to an end... (Sequel to Blooming Talent)

  • ...
5
 21
 847

Toughing it Out

16 Years After the Battle of Canterlot

The cool night air was refreshing; the breeze caressing his skin and playing with his long white cape, the temperature chilling but not freezing, leaving a pleasant sensation on his arms.

The moon light gleaming down upon him as if to tell him she wouldn't be gone long. Piccolo closed his eyes and breathed in deeply, even smiling slightly as if to say he would be here when she returned.

The Guardian of Equestria opened his sharp eyes and gazed up at the large white orb in the sky with an affection not usually seen on his normally hard demeanor. His attention then turned back down to the winding down town of Ponyville below from his hillside perch. The Namekian gave a curt nod, affirming to her he would never let anything happen to this place again so long as he could help it.

Piccolo's thoughts were interrupted, however, by a familiar voice tinged with a southern twang he knew so well. "Hey, Piccolo."

He uncrossed his green and pink arms as he turned to face the savior of Equestria, Apple Bloom. The mare was in her anthro form, as was quickly becoming the norm for her, but even in a magical state such as that, he could tell the difference from the Apple Bloom of the now and the Apple Bloom of the past.

Though still vibrant, the Element of Honesty's red hair was beginning to fade out and become more maroon in tone. Her amber eyes, once bright and sparkling with life held a dull tiredness in them he had become accustomed to by now. But, even with all that and other blemishes, the one known as Apple Bloom was still as beautiful as she could be. Any stallion would agree that Goten was a lucky man having wed her.

"Hi, Apple Bloom." Piccolo responded. "Everything alright?"

It was then that Piccolo noticed she had brought something along with her. In the mare's right hand she held a box tied to a rope handle containing six clear mason jars. Inside each one was a golden-orange liquid that was unmistakable.

He looked up at her and she smiled weakly. "Care for a drink, friend?"

Around an hour or so passed, and all but the drinks in the two warrior's hands were left of the alcohol hand made by Bloom herself; an old family recipe. They had talked, shared some laughs, even a few memories from what seemed like centuries ago to them. After awhile, Apple Bloom's content look faded into one of a more somber tone.

This did not escape the namekian's notice. "What's going on, Apple Bloom? I don't think you came up here just to swap old memories with a friend..."

"Is it that obvious?" She half-heartedly chuckled, taking another swig.

Piccolo did not nod, nor affirm this with words. He knew she would've said something sooner or later. He just figured sooner might be better.

"It's Carrot..." She finally said, almost stopping herself mid-statement. "He's going to be sixteen years old in a few days...can you believe it?"

Piccolo grunted and nodded. "He's come a very long way since he was just a child. He's growing up."

Apple Bloom sighed. "Sometimes I wonder about that..."

"What do you mean?"

"Carrot...it's like he hasn't really grown up at all..." She elaborated. "Don't get me wrong, he's a good boy, and I love him with all my heart and soul...but he's...he's almost immature..."

She looked upwards as she continued. "He's usually a good young man at home; does what he's told, and treats me and Goten with respect, even if we do butt heads sometimes over stuff. But his...his anger issues..."

She paused for a moment.

"His anger issues are out of control...it's like he's programmed to go off on anypony who speaks ill of me, Goten, or...or Ocellus..."

"That changeling girl he hangs out with?"

"That's the one. They're always together, which isn't really a problem, I suppose. But the second she gets even a bad look form somepony else, he gets up in arms. Three days ago, I got called in to the high school because Carrot literally broke another stallions front legs near in half because he said Ocellus' horn made her look like a mutant unicorn....and this time I was lucky to not get a hospital bill for Carrot as well..."

Piccolo raised an eye in slight astonishment. "Carrot went Super Saiyan just to beat up a bully?"

"He goes Super Saiyan for every problem that he feels requires violence to fix..."

"But why? He knows that it's dangerous for his heart to be in that form at all because of his genes..."

"I really don't think he cares..." Apple Bloom said. "I think...I think as long as he makes it clear who is the better stallion and he teaches them to not mess with him or those he cares for anymore, he doesn't care if it hurts him or even kills him. And in a weird way that's pretty admirable...but it's also scary..."

She wrapped her arms around her jean covered legs. "Sapphic was the way he was because he wasn't powerful enough to save his loved ones before, and when he did finally get that power, he nearly had his complete revenge and stopped at nearly nothing to achieve it. I'm..."

Tears were flowing form her squinted eyes now. "I'm afraid my baby boy is gonna end up similarly...so much power and the ability to right anything he feels is wrong at the cost of his own safety...if he didn't kill himself, I'd be the one who'd have to...to..."

Piccolo immediately moved to embrace Apple Bloom with his arm closest to her and held her shaking hands in his with the other. She sobbed quietly into his shoulder pad, trying not to be too loud and wake the town down below. He gave her a quick squeeze before speaking.

"It won't happen, Apple bloom." He said reassuringly. "You've been a wonderful mother to Carrot; better than Chrysalis ever could've been to Sapphic. You and Goten have raised him to be the best young stallion you could make him and--"

"But that's it, Piccolo." She choked. "I never had a real mom and dad growing up. They both died when I was so young...I didn't know a thing about being a momma and I still don't...so how do I know what to do to raise my boy right? What if I've already messed up too much? Have I sheltered him too much for his illness? Spoiled him too much? Why is he so angry at everything these days..?"

Piccolo said nothing, and just hugged Apple Bloom closely. Her current thoughts had reminded Piccolo of the years following the Dragon Ball's creation. He'd asked why Apple Bloom hadn't yet wished for her family to be revived. She'd told him that after long thought and discussion that she didn't want to pull her loved ones away from the Heaven and paradise she now knew they were enjoying just to satisfy her selfish wants, in her own words.

It had been a noble decision, and had made Piccolo respect the young mare even more. But now he was wondering if maybe she could've used some guidance from those she no longer had...such as her parents.

Later on, after the first few times Carrot had transformed into a Super Saiyan, the namekian asked once again why she didn't use the Dragon Balls to cure him of his heart disease. She had said that Applejack had always told her that hardships had the potential to make you a better person, and things like this could give one a greater appreciation for life as their time could be limited. He had not agreed with her decision then, and he could see now she was considering going back on her word.

But he knew she wouldn't.

That's why he didn't even ask the question on his mind; use the Dragon Balls to take away Carrot's anger. She knew that if he asked she would tell him something along the lines of it no longer being her true baby boy, because he'd been magically fixed to be "better."

Apple Bloom was a mare who believed in toughing out life and not relying on magical solutions to solve every problem. Perhaps that was her Earth Pony blood...or perhaps her instilled hard work ethic. Or perhaps, that was just Apple Bloom...

"I will never let that kind of future come to pass." Piccolo said to her. "I'll keep your boy who he is...no matter what..."

Comments ( 6 )

7824064 I love the story I'll be waiting for your uploads to this story I'll be waiting my friend and keep me posted on the story

Under the moon's pale light, a stalwart protector keeps watch. Here our stoic warrior is approached by a comrade, friend, and most of all: a worried mother.

Issues are brought to light upon the actions of the young, reflections regarding decisions not taken, and fears of what can be are taken note.

Strengths of characters are tested in more ways than one account for, but what defines a hardship to be beneficial or harmful when another still suffers?

What is considered the right or wrong way to counter these actions? Can promises and reassurances hold out or become mere false hopes in place of where much needed answers are still sought?

Let us contemplate and seek these answers to these problems along with our heroes, next time on Blooming Talent 2: Prodigal Son.

7829101 Thank you. Nice of you to say so. I am merely saying what comes to mind regarding what I read. While trying to make it vague enough so others are not spoiled in case they have not yet to read your story. Which they should.

Since this series is one of the few that is able to capture the essence of both franchise's themes & characters and meld them spectacularly. I was glad you decided to continue with this storyline after the cancelation of the last attempt.

A LOT of new things have happened in both Dragon Ball and MLP, respectivly since then. You have no shortage of materials to use or base upon now. I can not wait to see what paths or twists you will lead us to.

Login or register to comment