• Published 20th Aug 2017
  • 2,864 Views, 355 Comments

The Road Trip of A-Holes! - Sense of Humor



Seven entirely different beings embark on the weirdest trip.

  • ...
6
 355
 2,864

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

The spherical devices Rocket deployed were apparently several mini-lasers, given how they all appeared to be firing thick beams of red energy in repetitive succession--one firing after the other in a specific pattern. Their intended targets appeared to the cavernous soil and rock structures around them, or at least the larger formation that remained after Maud's initial sweep of the landscape in front of them. Her gloves still buzzed in hopes of being used again, but the lasers were making short of things and creating a path easy to squeeze into. Though most of the trip was going smoothly, there were a few occasional jolts and shakes that thrashed the ship about at random.

After a very brief shudder that rattled the metal hull, the blue captain wrinkled his nose. "Hang on a tick. Tell me why Ego wants you two, of all suckers, here?"

"Trixie would make things faster, but I think he's really focused on me. "Quill uncomfortably shifted in his seat, still internally reeling from the blatant remark about his mother's tumor. He could feel a light, somewhat comforting pressure on his knee. He didn't need to look down to see that it was Trixie trying her best for him. " He needs my genetic connection to the light and Trixie's power levels… to help destroy the universe. He tried to teach us how to control the power within us, or whatever."


"So, y'all are like...demigods and stuff?" Yondu raised both eyebrows in interest. He was cleaning his blaster and somehow steering at the same time. While not exactly safe, it didn't seen he was struggling. "And could you? Use the power?"

Trixie opened her mouth, closed it after a few seconds and then allowed herself a moment to think about what to say. "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell...Trixie has really just used it for flying, stuff my other friend does on occasion and making teacups out of things."

Peter shrugged. "I did something. A little. I made a ball?"

"...A ball?"

Gamora grimaced in their direction. "You two have the power of literal gods at your disposal, and you used it to create an insignificant sphere?"

"I am Groot, " He snickered.

Rocket laughed too. "Yeah, they probably made rubber duckies, "

Derpy giggled."Or silly soap sculptures,"

Trixie shoved her lightly, not enough to be painful or serious. "Hey!"

Quill pouted to himself, clearly betrayed by his own companions in a time of emotional need. "Hey, I thought as hard as I could. It was all that I could come up with."

" You "thought"? Please!" Yondu leaned on the steering wheel with an elbow, monetarily forgetting his blaster which pointed right behind him. "You think when I make this arrow fly, I use my hea--"

The blaster accidentally fired, and zipped over Derpy's head, singeing her mane as it hit the wall far behind her. She flinched while everyone else erupted into a small uproar about the way the gun was pointed, with Rocket notably explaining: "Hey man, you could've shot Derpy in the face!"

Yondu nervously apologized, engaged in an awkward silence as the ship drilled some more, then added: "Reminds me of a feller I know named Wolf." By the time he went on to explain a particular situation he had with Kraglin, they had already entered the giant empty space in the center of the giant planet, dutifully surrounding the core like an all around gate.


Mantis pointed to the rocky sort of boulder hanging from the weblike soil structures above, pulsating with thin blue veins of energy. " That’s Ego’s core."

"That core looks thick, Rocket." Gamora warned as the small raccoon quickly reshifted the attention of the spherical lasers, targeting them at the giant shape before them.

Rocket only nodded in response to her concerns as the ship slowed to a halt in front of the core, then aged to give all of the lasers ample time and space to get into position. A concentrated beam of blazing hot energy was created from the combined might of Rocket's technology, funneling its way into the hard surface. While definitely penetrating, it was only enough to make the surface brittle; time crawled by too slowly to make it seem like an easy task. Trixie, after recalling on the magic lessons with Starlight that she never really paid attention too, finally managed to produce a similar beam of power and joined her own laser with his. Even then, the act only gained them a millisecond or two in advance.

Mantis wrung her hands worriedly. "We must hurry. It will not take Ego long to find us here."

Rocket carefully twisted the dial to increase the laser power, causing the ship to move just slightly from the force. He nudged Trixie. "Keep it steady, Demigoddess."

"Yeah, Yeah." She hmphed.

It was about another ten seconds before anything else was said after that, and it was only from the cracking comm at the dashboard. "....uh, C-Captain?"

Yondu didn't pay the voice much attention, too busy trying to peer around Quill to see their progress. "What is it, Kraglin?"

"Uh...r-remember that Ayesha chick?"

Everyone, excluding Yondu, froze up in the moments following the utterance of that name. Not quite catching onto it yet despite how familiar the name sounded, the blue captain shrugged. "Yeah, why?"

Yondu glanced to the side, to see what that movement in his peripheral was. He flinched. "Oh SHIT!"

The ship lurched forward and just barely managed to avoid oncoming laser fire from the sovereign pods rapidly approaching them. The sudden sideways tip of their ship caused everything to lurch to the side, causing a quick loss of the number of people on board. Gamora, Maud, Derpy, Drax, and Mantis tumbled out of the ship without anything to stop them--their momentum causing them to fall at a deadly speed from their already threatening height. Derpy stopped screaming when she remembered her ability to fly, swooping down to catch Drax before he could fall any further. Maud summoned a slide of rocks from below them using her gloves, then decreased the height of the slide to slow them down near the bottom. As Mantis and Gamora helped each other up at the bottom, Derpy and Drax made an unceremonious landing right next to them. The grey warrior got with a grunt of indignance. "You fly like a one-winged, drunken Altai."

Derpy carefully flexed her wings. In all her years of mail delivery, she'd never had to carry anything as insanely heavy as Drax. "You're welcome. Don't even mention it."

Maud released the tiniest of sighs, her bored looking gaze directed up at their ship taking evasive maneuvers to avoid being taken down by the swarms of golden pods. "I really wish Rocket hadn't taken those batteries."

"We can thank him for this later, " Gamora remarked as her sword became present in her hand, glistening readily. "Right now, we just need to cause a distraction big enough to get most of them off their--"

The ground vibrated, then roared to life with thicker veins of blue energy. The fiercer the quakes became, the more the ground began to crack and split apart with these veins. Pieces of debris fell from the ceiling above them, with some the size of their own bodies crashing down around them. Mantis nervously shook in place, her antenna rising with urgency. " He is coming!"

Drax looked as though a lightbulb had appeared above his head. " Didn’t you say you could make him sleep?"

She shook her head fearfully. "When he wants! He’s too powerful to be forced! I can’t--"

Mantis squeaked when a pair hooves whirled around to be face to face with Derpy, who was wearing an expression that would have looked uplifting if her eyes weren't crossed. "You don’t have to believe in yourself, Mantis… because Drax and I believe in you! You can do this!"

Mantis didn't seem certain, glancing from certain death looming in the ground beneath them to the certain faces of her friends. With a nervous gulp and a thoughtful self-assurance that she was probably going to die, either way, Mantis lept to one knee and forced her hand into one of the crevices in the ground. Her antenna lit up with the brightest energy she'd ever created as she closed her eyes tightly. "Sleep."

The ground roared all the more, as the blue light of the veins started to converge in an area in front of them. A specific shape was starting to form, little by little. "Sleep!"

The shape continued to form itself, but she was too frustrated to stop. "...SLEEEEEEP!!!"

Almost immediately, the energy in the blue veins subsided into nothing. The humanoid shape that was forming ceased to exist and the general chaos was now reduced to the sovereign ships above their head. Derpy patted her on the back gently as Mantis wheezed for breath. Drax glanced around their rocky environment with surprise. "Wow. For the record, I never believed she’d be able to do it… with as weak and skinny as she appears to be."

Derpy would have said something particularly rude, but Mantis beat her to speaking. " I don’t know how long I can hold him!"

Gamora nodded and pointed her sword to the three others in a specific order, starting with the sole earth pony. "Maud, use those gloves to knock some of them out of the sky. Derpy, use that gun to help her out and help Quill and the others if they need it. Drax, make sure nothing disrupts Mantis,"


Nebula held onto the metal railing tightly, her fingers temporarily locking into place. The ship's constant spinning and sharp turns would have thrown her out long ago, and probably everyone inside as well. She watched Maud race up on a tidal wave of rocks, shooting smaller boulders at the pods. "Fox, Why aren’t you firing the lasers?"

Rocket, who was trying every dial on the remote, promptly threw the remote out the door. " They blew out the generator." His eyes lit up as a thought occurred. He began to rummage through a nearby bag, somehow using his tail to catch Groot in mid-tumble. "Hang on-- I think I packed a small detonator."

Trixie leaned out of the door to let her magic slice through a few of the pods before she flinched back inside to keep from being decapitated. "I don't know much about science, but isn't a detonator is worthless without explosives?!"

Rocket chuckled as he pulled out a familiar yellow glowing tube. "Well, we got these."


Trixie shared an uncertain glance with Starlord as he flew back inside the ship, his helmet visors glowing red. "You think those batteries could kill Ego?"

Quill looked willing to try anything. " If they can, it’ll probably cause a chain reaction throughout his entire nervous system. This whole planet might blow up or implode or turn into a black hole. Whatever it does, we’ll have to get out of here fast."

By the time he was finished explaining, Rocket was strapping on his own temporary flight device and holding the newly created bomb in one paw. "Alright, I rigged a timer!"



Trixie's horn lit up to illuminate the breathless yet confident smirk below it, crackling with electric potential. "The Great and Powerful Demigoddess will cover you!"

Groot rolled his eyes.

The three of them lept out of the ship and became airborne in seconds, maneuvering past laser fire and golden pods to the reach the planet core. Trixie broke off form their group to handle an incoming group of adversaries, and coincidentally, Derpy flew up to escort them the rest of the way; the first to land in the part of the core they managed to damage earlier. When her allies joined her, they all assessed the various holes and inner structures of the core. Quill sighed when he noticed Rocket's furrowed brow, placing his hands on his hips. "I'm guessing we can't just place the bomb right here. "

Rocket sighed. "The flooring here is too thick. For the bomb to work, we’d actually need to place it on Ego’s core. And none of our fat butts ain’t gonna fit through those tiny holes."

Quill looked down slowly. "Well…"

Everyone's eyes lowered down to the smallest being in the room, who was casually picking up pebble debris and attempting to chew them in his mouth. When he noticed everyone staring at him, Groot grinned and waved. Rocket took one long look at that innocent grin and gulped fearfully. "That is a horrible, horrible idea."

Starlord agreed with a nod. "I know. But...I don't see anyone else small enough for this.” He took one more look at Groot, accepted that he would probably die today and nodded. “ Look, just...just, uh...try and teach him now before you let him run off with it, ”

Derpy was reluctant about this risky plan, but tried to look optimistic anyway. “Sure! How hard can it be?”


Rocket breathed in slowly and exhaled to calm his nervous heartbeat. He spared himself one small glance in the direction of Derpy and exhaled again. “ Okay. You...You wanna start, or should I?”

Derpy tried to stop shivering in worry just to nod. “I-I got it...Alright, Groot. First... you flip this switch, then this one. That activates it.”

With Groot's attention held, Rocket continued. “Then you push this button, which will give us five minutes to get outta here…. Now, whatever you do, don't push this button. Because if you do, that will set off the bomb immediately and we'll all be tiny bits and pieces all over this side of the galaxy.”

Groot drooled.

Rocket rubbed his paws together slowly. “...Now, repeat back what I just said.”

Groot looked down at the detonator, and all its many components. “ I am Groot…”


Derpy perked up. “Uh-huh.”


“I am Groot.”

That's right…

“ I am Groot!”

Rocket stopped his tiny little hand before it could reach the red button. “No! No, I just said that's the button that will kill everyone! Try again.”

Groot restudied the switches and buttons for a moment. “ Hmmmm. Hmmm. I...am Groot…”

Mmhm.”

“ I am...Groot...?”

“ Uh-huh.”

“I am Groot!”

Rocket had to stop him once more before any life endangering buttons could be pressed. “ AAAUGH! No! That's exactly what you just sai- how's that even possible?! I told you twice now that--

Derpy pressed a hoof into his shoulder to calm him, even though she felt just a frantic as he did. “ Hang on. Let's just see where he messes up. Groot, which button is the one you're supposed to push? Point to it.”

He pointed at the red button, raising Rocket's blood pressure again. “NOOOO!”

The grey pegasus continued letting his shoulder. “ Calm down, you're making him nervous.”

From a sizeable hole in the exterior behind them, Starlord's red-goggled visors appeared. “ Hey, how's it going in there?”

Rocket grinned his most convincing smile. “ We--We're good! Uh, do you--Does anyone have any tape out there?! I wanna put some tape over the death button.”

Quill paused. “Uh...I don't. Lemme see real quick.” He disappeared from view, presumably to dodge laser fire and travel to the other's locations. “ Yo, Yondu, Nebula! Do you have a--WOAH! Do you have any tape? Maud? You got any tape? Gamora! Do you have any tape? ...no, not vape! CAPE?! TAPE! With a ‘T’! Ah, never mind! Drax! Do you have any tape?! Yeah...Scotch tape would actually work nicely! ...Then why would you ask me if scotch tape would work, if you don't HAVE any?!” Quill reappeared seconds later with a sympathetic shrug to the furry duo. “Sorry, nobody has any tape!”

Rocket's fur stood on end. “You’re telling me not a single person out there has tape?!”

Peter turned to fire his blaster a few times. “Yeah--not a one.”

Did you ask Trixie?

“... Uh, Yes!”

Really?”

“ Guys.”

Quill finally relented after his cold stare. “I’ve been with her this whole time-- I would know if she had tape with her--”

I KNEW IT! I knew you were lying!”

“ Guys!”

“ YOU'RE A WALKING SWISS ARMY KNIFE, MAN! IF ANYBODY'S GONNA HAVE TAPE, IT'S YOU!!

Rocket pulled at his ears exasperatedly. “THAT'S EXACTLY MY POINT! I have to do EVERYTHING!!

GUYS!” When she was confident she had their attention, she used a quieter tone. “Couldn't you just make tape with you celestial powers?”

“Well, I can't. Hang on a tick, ” He disappeared once again in search of Trixie, but she was apparently so far off that they couldn't hear any conversation. He returned in half a minute, and tossed them a roll of tape. “ Here you go!”

Perfect!” Derpy grinned. “Now lets…”

The bomb was gone, and so was Groot. As they looked further down the very thin tunnels and sharp passages, they just could just barely make out the silhouette of Groot's eager little body sliding down the tunnels. If they listened closely, they could just hear his mad laughter in the distance.



Rocket slumped down. “... We’re all gonna die.”

Derpy sighed. “Actually, Quill and Trixie are immortal so…”

Thanks for that reminder.”


Trixie cut off the whip of electricity she fashioned, which had previously sliced through a few Golden pods racing towards their ship. Using her levitation, she zipper over to the windshield and kept up their cover with more blasts. “ Captain Yondu! How's it looking in there?!”

Just Yondu is fine Darlin’, ” He said from within the ship, noticeably trying every switch and button on his dashboard. “Rear thrusters are out again and our blasters are kapoot! We’re done for without that generator!”

Almost immediately, a lightbulb appear above Trixie's head with a bright intensity. Confused as to why she randomly conjured a lightbulb, the pony studied it’s brilliant light until--instead of another lightbulb--an idea surfaced. She raced inside the ship and rushed up to the cockpit. “ Hey, Trixie has a Great and Powerful idea!” As she explained it to them, a thud from behind signals Quill's arrival inside the ship thanks to being chased inside. He turned slowly to face the entryway and swallowed when he noticed that every Sovereign pod had gathered around them in a massive swarm.

Ayesha’s face was present on the largest pod, grinning wickedly. “Guardians… perhaps it will provide you solace… that your deaths are not without purpose. They will serve as a warning… to all of those tempted with betraying us.” She snarled. “...Don’t fuck with the Sovereign!”

Yondu attached the last wire and Nebula offered Trixie a solemn frown. “ This is gonna hurt, you know, ”

Trixie swallowed and glanced up at the several wires connecting to her horn, before shaking her shoulders loose of tension. “ Yep. I do.”

She powered up her horn with pure power, and Yondu turned the dial on the remote all the way up. Trixie stifled her agonized scream between her gritted teeth as certain voltages of electricity began to travel through her entire body--drawing from her own energy to power up the remote. While she couldn't see it with her eyes shut so tightly, the lasers that had once been dormant on the outside of the ship were now all firing off in unison. The ship turned into one giant porcupine with red hot quills that sliced through the stationary pods. Screams of rage and futility were all fht could be heard from Ayesha's pod before it joined the ranks of the others that exploded in nothingness.

From below, those closest to the ground or on it, dodged the lasers as they carved up the ground beneath them. Quill watched all the exploding pods meet their end silent, until a piece of flaming debris fell inside the ship and into a freshly made hole in the flooring. He didn't need to look to know exactly where the flaming piece went.


“We’re gonna blow!”


Gamora’s breath was ripped from her when their ship exploded not long after vanquishing all the pods surrounding them, disappearing in its own flames and smoke. Quill had flown inside it and now it was gone. “ Peter! NO!” She grimaced worriedly until a figure landed on the ground after falling out of the explosion, standing back to their full height. Gamora and Nebula exchanged scanning glances with each other, secretly checking to see if there were any injuries on each other. Then Nebula slowly looked up, and Gamora followed suit.


Peter, Yondu and Trixie were still alive! With the use of his own flight technology, Quill was floating down with Trixie shakily using her magic to keep herself up. The Showmare groaned as though she was going to throw up at any second and cracked a weak smile at Quill. “...R-Remind me not to do that again, ”

Quill chuckled at that, only to go into louder laughter when he noticed Yondu flowing down by holding onto his red arrow. The blue pirate raised an eyebrow at his chortles. “ What?”

Peter managed to slow down his laughter. “ Nothing, its just... You look like Mary Poppins right now.”

Yondu nodded slowly, not quite recognizing the name. Almost timidly, he looked at him again. “...Is he cool?”

Peter started to explain that he was talking about a Disney movie character who wore a dress, was a woman and flew around with an umbrella. But instead he smiled wider and nodded. “...Hell yeah, he's cool.”

“ Ha Ha Ha!” Yondu grinned brightly and turned to the others below him. “ I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!”

And so the three of them finally joined the others on the ground, with Rocket and Derpy joining them a few seconds later. Gamora hugged Quill in a surprising display of affection, one that he want going to pass up returning. Trixie and Yondu both stared at the falling debris around them, impressed by their combined efforts and the fact that they actually survived to begin with. Maud and Nebula exchanged glances in close proximity, then slowly let their gazes fall to other locations. Rocket refused the offer at first, but eventually he did hold up his fist to bump it with Derpy's hoof. Drax stood closely and protectively near Mantis, who had all her focus directed towards her ongoing task. All in all, the poses they performed would have been great for a blockbuster movie poster…

If only Mantis hadn't been struck by flaming metal.

Author's Note:

I will wrap things up next chapter!

Well, not everything. Just the final battle. I think I honestly four more chapters left in this story! Hope I can do two more before Endgame!