• Published 15th Oct 2016
  • 454 Views, 2 Comments

The Dog Days Are Over - strangephantasm



The Game is over, the Chess Pieces have begun to move on with their lives. But for one, the shadows of the past still linger. His name is Fudge, and he is haunted.

  • ...
 2
 454

The Unforgiven

Ch. 2: The Unforgiven

Celestia stared out the window, looking out across the realm. The Game was over. The world had changed, and for once it had finally changed for the better. No more slaves, no more mines. No more war and no more killing. Crime was almost a memory now. The streets were patrolled by the Knights of Harmony, those well armed guardians who were more commonly known as the Sour Apple Paladins on account of their green hued armor and grim-faced expressions.

The regular guard was back to doing what they did best, stand around and look bored. The world was at peace. It was everything that her General had wanted. Yet still there was something troubling him that weighed heavily on the minotaur. She knew that he bore terrible scars of both the body and the soul, scars that ran deep. And yet...

“He won't talk to me.” Celestia said quietly. “Not about himself. Oh, he's cordial enough. Always polite, performs his duties in an exemplary fashion. But he's so distant.”

Luna looked up from her book and frowned.

“The Paladin-General has always been reserved when it comes to his thoughts.”

“It's more than that sister. He's...” She sighed “I think he's never forgiven me...”

“For pardoning Zeta Chi?” Luna finished.

The Princess of The Night looked long and hard at Celestia. Though they had never discussed it, she knew exactly why the Solar Diarch had been willing to give Senmurv's Heir a clean slate, and it had nothing at all to do with the cynogriffin's actions on the battlefield. The fact was, dolling out judgment had been particularly difficult for Celestia ever since she...

Old memories rose to the surface from that day long ago, when Twilight and her friends had freed her from the Nightmare. Luna shook those away, not wanting to dredge up the shadows of the past.

“Do you regret your decision?” She asked.

“No.” Celestia replied immediately. “I did what I felt was right. As you know, General Whiteflame is rather... bull-headed when it comes to the subject of justice. Our opinions happened to differ on what shape it should take in this particular case. I thought depriving young Scootaloo of a father would have been doing more harm than whatever good incarcerating him might have done.”

“So, you want me to talk to him?”

“You know he's always been more fond of you than I. 'Second best pony,' I believe he called you.”

Luna's eyebrow rose in surprise. She thought she was forever resigned to third place.

“Second best? Did I do something to come up a rank?”

Celestia grinned at that, shaking her head.

“No, but now Fluttershy has competition for best pony, and Fudge doesn't want to get in trouble by choosing one over the other, so he's declared it a tie.”

Luna smirked mischievously. Some of the Pieces were a little shy about revealing their “lists,” but not the General. It had always been Fluttershy, Applejack and herself.

I see, so he and the Element of Honesty are...?”

Exactly... I'm surprised you didn't know sister. Their relationship hasn't exactly been kept a secret.”

“Ah, I'm afraid I've been spending a little too much time at the Lunar Forge of late.”

A voice called out to them from the doorway:

“Are you old nags gossiping again?”

Knightmare stood in the threshold looking amused. The changeling was in four legged form for once. Lately the Solar Consort had gotten restless and kept experimenting with different “AMAZING DISGUISES!” as he called them.

“What did you just call me?” Celestia demanded.

“And old nag.” He replied with a grin, walking over to where they stood. “Must be getting hard of hearing too.”

She glared, leaning in close.

“You're lucky that I like you, little bug.”

They kissed each other in an utterly sappy manner, causing Luna to gag. At least they didn't start making out like they normally did.

“So, what were you talking about?” He asked

“Something's been bothering General Whiteflame lately, but he denies that there's anything wrong.” Celestia explained.

“Fudge eh? Yeah, he has been kinda down in the dumps. Every time I go near the guy his emotions get me slightly nauseous.”

The Princess of The Day frowned.

“That sounds worse than I thought. Do you think you could speak with him?”

“ME? But he's never taken me seriously.” The changeling exclaimed.

“Oh, and who's fault is that?” Luna ribbed.

“Hey, the guy needs to lighten up. It was just a little poison joke prank...”

“In Fluttershy's tea. You know how protective he is of the Element of Kindness.” Celestia reminded.

“Yeah. And he's not the only one. I was lucky half the Pieces weren't after me for that. Pretty funny though, that little cutie pie going all 'mouth of blasphemies and doom' whenever she spoke. Still, Fudge is rather unlikely to want to open up to ol' Knightmare any time soon.”

“Why don't we get her to talk to him?” Luna suggested.

“Because, like most misguided males, he seems to think that shielding those he's close to from his troubles is an act of nobility.” Celestia complained, with more than a slightly pointed glance at her lover. “And Sir Fudge is nothing, if not noble.”

“I think I know somepony he might talk to. Unfortunately, she's on tour with the rest of the band in the Dominion right now.” Knightmare said.

Celestia's eyes lit up.

“Ah, you mean Lady Octavia! Of course. Send a letter and she'll cancel. If it's for him, she'll cancel.”

“First let me give it a try,” Luna said. “I wouldn't want to pull the Lady away from Dutchess Scratch unless it was absolutely necessary.

* * *

The sun shown down upon the little clearing, providing a nice warmth to counteract the light breeze, resulting in an absolutely perfect temperature for an afternoon nap. The minotaur rested on his back, hands folded on his stomach with a piece of straw poking out of his mouth. The sour apple tree he lay under was a very special one. It was the first tree he had planted when he was helping to rebuild the farm. That made this particular napping spot exclusive.

A little butterfly floated past unnoticed, completing the serenity. Fudge was utterly content except for one thing – the hollow spaces at his sides were empty of the mares that usually occupied them. A shadow fell over him, the slight temperature change causing the paladin to open one eye.

“A little lonely today isn't it?” Luna asked, smiling down at him. “Mind some company?”

“Well Mooney Toons,” He said with a smirk. “Apple's are all working at the market today. So no, a little company would not be remiss.”

The princess grinned and flopped rather ungracefully down on the grass, snuggling up against his left side.

“Hey!” He said. “That's Applejack's spot. But then again, I don't think she'd mind sharing with the Princess of The Night. At least for just one day.

“It can be our little secret.” She replied.

“So, what drew the Lunar Lady out of ye olde forge?” Fudge inquired.

“It was getting a little crowded. Scorch has gotten so big lately. I think he'll go on the Migration this year.”

Scorch. The young wyrm that had given him the three slashes over his right eye. Dragon-marked he called it. Supposedly it meant that the little red was honor bound to one day come try and kill him in revenge for the death of his father. But that was all empty bluster and politics. The fact was that Scorch was in awe of Fudge. He had bested Sky-Burner, “King of All Red Dragons” in the arena. The greater wyrm had come to him in a vision shortly after, dubbing the minotaur “White-Flame.”

Sir Fudge Whiteflame, Paladin-General of the Knights of Harmony. Justice-bringer. He shook his head. The other Pieces might revel in all the fancy titles they accumulated, Griffin and Celt being amongst the worst offenders, but to him it was all just a bunch of hooey. It didn't matter what people called you, what mattered was what you did with the time you were given.

“Think he'll take Shimmer along?” Luna smirked.

“Here's hoping. They make a good match. Sweet little gal like her, tough kid like him.”

“Poor Spike.” Luna sighed.

“Poor Spike.” Fudge agreed. “He could really use a bit of a spine sometime. Still, I suppose there's nothing wrong with being a sensitive guy.”

The princess giggled into her hoof.

“You're one to talk, you big softie.”

“I'm not a softie!” He protested.

“Oh you are such a softie. You're like a double helping of soft serve ice cream. With extra sprinkles!” She teased.

“Well, you're the expert when it comes to ice cream.” He countered, poking her in the belly. “Balloona.”

Her jaw dropped, looking scandalized. She then responded with several horn jabs to the ribs.

“Ow! Oww! Alright, I'm sorry!” He yelped.

“You must swear never to use that name where sister might hear. She teases me quite enough without your help.” Luna admonished.

“Pinkie Promise.” He said, going through the motions.

“I'm not... really fat am I?” The princess asked, lower lip protruding as she ran a hoof over her stomach.

Fudge rolled his eyes. Girls.

“Of course not you silly filly! Why if I weren't attached...”

Luna grinned again and batted her eyelashes at him. Rarity would have been proud.

“Would you ravish me right here? Have your way with me in a masculine fashion?”

“Yes. Ravish. An all day event.”

“Because Luna is pretty?”

“Because Luna is pretty.”

She smiled and hugged him, nuzzling his shoulder. Then she puffed her cheeks out, pretending to look upset.

“And why am I the last to find out about the two of you?” She demanded. “As Second Best Pony I think I deserve to be in the know!”

He chuckled at that.

“You haven't been visiting Ponyville enough. Twilight and the others never miss an excuse to make a big deal about it. Especially Rarity.”

“Must be nice...” Luna replied, a little wistfully.

“Hey.” He said, taking her by the fetlock. “You're not feeling lonely are you?”

She averted her gaze, looking down at the grass.

“Well... to tell the truth I have been, a bit.”

“Go on.”

“It's just that... sister and Knightmare. They're always so... together. And I'm so...”

“Single?”

“Yes!” She sighed, resting her chin on his shoulder.

“Luna, you're a princess and a goddess. You do realize that you could have almost anypony you wanted?” He replied.

“But I haven't found that somepony special.”

“Have you looked?”

“Um... well, not so much.” She admitted.

Fudge groaned and rolled his eyes.

“WOONAAA! It's because you're a shut in! Stop being a recluse, get out there. Mingle. I'd try hanging out with the Pieces. You know how we humans are. You always were incredibly popular. You're bound to be someones Best Pony...”

She made a scrunched up face at that.

“What?” Fudge demanded.

“I don't know. Most of you Pieces are... well...”

“Weirdos?”

“I'd have put it more tactfully, but yes. You're all a bunch of crazy weirdos.”

“Ain't that the truth?” He conceded. “Didn't seem to bother your sister any though. I mean, look who she ended up with. Lousy, no good, prank pulling bug...”

“You still haven't gotten over that?” The princess asked.

“He never apologized!” Fudge huffed, crossing his arms. “Imagine, pulling a prank on Fluttershy! Even Rainbow Dash has the sense not to prank her. NO ONE MESSES WITH FLUTTERSHY!

He raised a fist to the sky and shook it with mock vengeance. Luna laughed.

“Peter, she isn't glassware. You don't have to coddle her so much.”

“Hey, I like coddling. Besides, she's like a sister to me. I.. I worry about her.”

His smile faded, his eyes going to a far away place.

The cottage was as silent as the grave, doubly odd because of the near constant chattering and squawking that normally accompanied the little house. The door hung open, flapping in the wind with a loud clatter as it banged against the frame. The entrance was dark, no light emitting from within. But he knew what he would find there. The wolf had told him so when he delivered the warning. If it was bad enough to make even Zeta look disturbed...

Fudge closed his eyes and shook the memory from his head. The minotaur absolutely refused to go back there. To remember what happened that day.

“Peter? Are you alright?” Luna asked, concerned.

“I'm fine. It's nothing.”

“That was most certainly not nothing. It... it was him again wasn't it?”

He stood up quickly, gritting his teeth and clenching his fists. Then the fire went out of his eyes and his shoulders slumped, his body seeming to go slack.

“Time to get going.” He said in a monotone voice. “Should get back to the office. Get some work done.”

“Peter...”

“Papers to file. Things to sign.”

As he walked away Princess Luna stomped her hoof.

“General!” She shouted, causing him to pause. “...Please don't shut us out. We're your friends Fudge.”

He glanced back at her with that sad little smile of his and said:

“That's why I gotta. It's dark as a dungeon in here, wouldn't want anypony to get hurt.”

The princess' head hung low. It wasn't fair at all. He spent all his energy ensuring that the world was at peace, and was able to find none himself. So, where was justice when he needed it?

* * *

Celestia's quill paused, hovering in midair as her sister entered, face hidden behind her mane and glaring at the floor.

“That minotaur is infuriating! He called me fat! And... and he got me to talk about my problems!”

The solar diarch's first instinct was to laugh, but there was something about the way Luna's voice trailed off that told her something was wrong.

“Sister?”

The Princess of The Night looked up, eyes troubled.

“...He's having flashbacks. I thought I'd helped him get rid of his nightmares. But they haven't gone away at all. And now they're even appearing in the daytime. I'm certain that it's... it's Vanilla.”

The quill slowly settled to the desk.

Of course. Post Traumatic Stress. Of course that was it.

(How could you not see it?) She berated herself.

He had been a military man long before he wound up on Equestrian shores. And they were always the same, weren't they? Ever stoic, always denying the effects of whatever horrible events they might witness. Yet that day... It was so terrible for him. Even worse than the day he'd lost half a horn and had lost his mind completely for a span of three and a half minutes or so while dismembering a certain diamond dog alpha.

She had heard everything that had happened that day. For the second time he watched somepony he cared about dying... Then the chaos magic he had wielded went out of control, warping the very landscape around him. Even now, ponies referred to that place as The Scar.

And afterward, the Greater Daemon inside wrestling for dominance. Celestia shuddered at the thought of what that fell creature would have done to her little ponies. If it had broken through, the world and everyone on it would surely have died.

Ateos'rau'keres. Sanity's End. A worse madness by far than even that of Discord. The Lords of Change were nearly invincible, and to fight against one and win was a truly heroic feat. But what Peter did that day... it defied all reason. A mere mortal managed to drive the daemon out of himself, back to the immaterial realm of warpspace through sheer force of will. While it was literally eating his soul.

It was Applejack's voice that had called out to him, giving him the strength to fight. She had been sent back from the other side. By whom, Celestia did not know. But she had her suspicions. And if it truly was her that was looking after Fudge... why wasn't she doing her job? What was she waiting for?

* * *

Sirocco sighed as the paperwork on her desk continued to rise. She glanced over at the frosted glass door that lead into the private sanctum of the Knights of Harmony's leader, wishing he would come into the office more often. One, because he really did have a lot of backlogged reports to sign and two... well, she just enjoyed the sight of him.

Now there was a train of thought not worth taking. It only made one stop: Disappointment Town. So many mares had tried in the past to catch the General's interest, herself included. Flirt as she might, wear those sexy horn-rimmed glasses she knew he liked. Nothing worked. Heck, she had even once dyed her mane and tail blonde despite it clashing with her cinnamon colored coat. The fact remained that he had eyes for only one pony, and unfortunately if she tried to be any more forward with him, said pony was likely to knock a couple of her teeth lose.

Applejack. Element of Honesty. Athletic, warm, dependable, down to earth, a natural blonde and possessing those damnably perfect flanks. It was enough to get her pinions ruffled. How the hay was a mare supposed to compete with that? It just wasn't fair. Still, the gal made him happy. She couldn't resent her for that. The General had freed her from chains, and in her book that meant he deserved what happiness he could find, even if it was with another mare.

To her surprise, in walked the very subject of her not-so-hidden desires. It was instantly apparent that he was having one of his bad days. They came and went just as the General himself meandered in and out of her life, making his own hours. His face was sullen, eyes far away. Trudging toward his office, he barely glanced in her direction as he opened the door.

“Gimme the reports and a pen. I'll get 'em signed.”

The secretary collected the most urgent stack of papers and gave them to him. Just as he was about to retreat into the solitude of his office he paused and turned towards her.

“I'm sorry.” He said softly.

“For what?” She asked, puzzled.

“For being such a pain in the flank.” He replied, reaching out unexpectedly and brushing a thumb over her eyebrow.

And just like that he was locked inside his little cave of seclusion, leaving the mare struck dumb by the sudden gesture. It took her a long time to get over wondering what the hay had just happened before she sat back down at her desk. Shaking her head, she blew a stray lock of mane out of her eyes in frustration. And... that was General Whiteflame for you. He could somehow even make an apology irritating.

The hours passed in silence, broken only by the monotonous ticking of the clock and the wooden song of the cuckoo as it appeared from it's hiding place. The eighth such emergence told her that it was just about quitting time, and none too soon. Her back ached and she had become incredibly bored, despite actually managing to get some work done for once. She hadn't seen the top of her desk in over a month.

All that was left to do was tidy things up before she could go home and soak in her hot tub. Which is what made the sudden sound of voices outside all the more jarring. Screwdriver and Rusty Nail, the two unicorns who stood guard over the Ponyville District Headquarters were questioning someone, although she couldn't quite make out what was said. A few moments later a young diamond dog of a greyhoundish looking breed stepped in carrying a large box in wrapping paper under his arm. Her blood nearly froze, eyes narrowing dangerously.

Sirocco considered herself an open mined pony. She liked to give everyone an equal chance, but when it came to diamond dogs a very deep seated anger on the verge of outright racism darkened her perspective. It was a problem sometimes, seeing as how there were dogs in the ranks. She had never quite been able to get over what had happened to her. The memory of her brother Zephyr impaled on a spear was seared into her brain, and the things she'd had to endure in the tunnels of the Deep Rock Warren were terrible. Nothing like what the General had been through, but still terrible all the same.

“Who are you and what do you want?” She asked brusquely.

The diamond dog wore a pin striped suit and a fedora, which he tipped in gentlehoundly fashion.

“Apologies for the late intrusion.” He said in a deep voice. “I am Swiftfoot, Beta from the pack of my honored Alpha, Silverfang.”

Sirocco gritted her teeth at being in the presence of a Deep Rock dog. They may have been coerced by Boxer into doing the things they had done, but they had done them none the less. After the war was over most had left Celestia's service and returned to their home, though some had stuck around Equestria.

The office door opened, startling the both of them. The diamond dog immediately dropped to one knee, head bowed in genuflection.

“O honored Alpha, I Swiftfoot, come at the behest of--”

“Stop that.” Fudge said sharply.

The dog stood up, eyes wide in surprise.

“I'm not an Alpha. I never was, not really.”

“But you are The Emerald Bull, The Jade Peril! Breaker of Chains and Bane of--”

The minotaur slammed his palm down on the pegasus' desk with a loud boom.

“DON'T!... Don't ever say that name in my presence.” He warned.

The dog swallowed hard.

“Apologies, White-Flame. May this one's tongue taste coals for his offense.”

“Unnecessary. Just say what you're doing here at my door, distressing my secretary.”

The pegasus felt a pang as her heart skipped a beat.

“I come at the behest of Silverfang, bearing a gift from my master.”

Fudge's bushy eyebrows rose, coming forward to take the package from the dog. He tore off the twine and brown paper, revealing an ornate glass case. Inside was a ship in a bottle, an immaculate replica of the Catharsis at full sail. A card was attached, which he read silently.

“A year and a day since we last parted ways White-Flame. Knowing your fondness for drink, I'd have liked to come share a bottle. Alas, duty keeps me from making such a journey and so this bottle will have to do instead.”

On the back of the card was a line of verse:

“And though the truth may vary, this ship will carry our bodies safe to shore.”

At the base of the ship there was a small plaque with this engraving:

Bind all of us together, ablaze with hope and free.
No storm or heavy weather, will rock the boat, you'll see.

He held the case up to the light, examining the details.

“But my ship is so small, and the sea is so great.” He quoted wistfully.

Then he turned to his secretary.

“What do you think Sirocco?”

“I think it's lovely. It'll look good in your office. You can look at it, while you're working.” She said, a mischievous smirk on her face.

“I know what you're up to little missy! Trying to get me to keep the stacks off your desk. Well it won't work.”

“I haven't the faintest idea what you're on about boss.”

“Sure. Hey. It's late, go on home.”

“But--”

“I said go home. You work too hard. Don't protest when I let you off early! Now get your cinnamon flanks outta here before I change my mind.”

Sirocco grinned and kissed his cheek, rushing out the door with a flap of her wings. Fudge turned and saw the young diamond dog still standing there with wide eyes. He had an almost worshipful look on his face which the minotaur didn't like one bit.

“You're still here.” He said flatly.

“I just...” Swiftfoot began. “I've heard so many stories about you. It isn't every day one stands in the presence of a living legend.”

“Nonsense.” Fudge responded. “I see six of them every day of the week. Seven when the Professor and Cheerilee swing by.”

“Still, you freed our people from bondage. Tales of your might are told throughout the warren. You even bested the Red Dragon King! This one has never met a true hero before.”

Fudge's eyes grew dark.

“And you still haven't. I'm no hero kid. Don't call me that. Don't ever call me that.”

“I... but...”

“Leave. Now.”

The dog bowed silently and made a hasty retreat. Offending White-Flame was one thing, but the very idea that he had angered him was enough to loosen his bowels.

Fudge sighed, setting the model on his desk. He stared at it a few moments before opening a drawer and retrieving the flask of vodka he kept hidden from Sirocco in a secret compartment. He knew she was trying to stay on the wagon. Flicking off the lights he headed into the streets, smacking the unicorns by the door on the shoulders as he went. They exchanged knowing looks, and soon Fudge was dodging the agent they'd sent to keep an eye on him.

He wandered aimlessly, taking heavy swigs from the flask as memories of the arena flooded his mind.

“Hero,” the pup had called him. Hero. What a joke.

He had killed so many people in the arena. So many people who had just wanted to live, the same as he had. He had won so many battles that they'd started sending him up against multiple opponents. The memory of fighting a young couple bothered him in particular. A pair of bast, though he hadn't known they were called that at the time. These two were reluctant to fight. They had heard of him, which meant they were scared. He wasn't. He knew he could take them, despite the cat folk being much quicker than he was. The problem was getting them to attack him. There was no way he was going to just charge right up and cut them down in cold blood.

So he had to get dirty. He insulted them. Called them names. Worst of all, he threatened to do vile things to the female when he was done. That got the male's blood up. It was over quickly, his opponent lying in two separate pieces. The female screamed in rage, attacking him in a blind fury which made it all too easy. He remembered the sound her neck made when he snapped it like a twig. It was horrible. Killing women always put him in a bad way after the match, usually resulting in him puking his guts out.

He looked up as the ground was illuminated by the glow of a neon sign. Fudge realized he had had reached his destination. A part of him had always known where his path would lead. This was one of the only stores still open this late. And it was the only one in town that sold what he needed. They had a monopoly on the business after all.

The young mare at the counter's eyes went wide as she took in the sight of him. His immense size, the flask in his hand. She didn't recognize him without his armor. If she had, she'd have realized that she was in one of the safest places in the entire world, possible exceptions being the princesses' private quarters. But it was late, an unusual hour to have customers. Especially drunken ones. It was understandable that she was nervous as she went through her spiel.

“W.. Welcome to Petal Mart, wh.. where we serve all your flower needs. How can I--”

“Dozen roses. One white lily.”

Then her eyes got even bigger. All the clerks knew that order. That particular bouquet was kept onhoof at all times. It was a curiosity they sometimes talked about, though never when the owners could hear. Somepony had asked about it once. There was... a lot of yelling and hysterics from the back office. The store had closed early that day.

“R.. right away Sir.” She said.

The mare frantically rushed about to fill the order. He threw down quite a few more bits than he was supposed to and was about to walk away bouquet in hand, when a delicate voice called out causing him to freeze in place.

“You know your money's no good here.”

A very long and tired sigh came from the minotaur. Slowly he turned around.

“Roseluck.”

The clerk's boss came toward the entrance, a troubled expression on her face. She looked at the flowers in his hand and shook her head slightly in disapproval.

“Meadow Breeze, go straighten up the storeroom will you?”

“Yes ma'am.” The clerk said, making herself scarce.

The cream coated earth pony and the minotaur stood wordlessly for a long time, then the mare finally spoke up.

“Those won't do at all.”

“They're fine.”

She gave him a sad smile, shaking her head again.

“You don't know much about bouquets do you? Those are snack quality flowers. You are not walking out of here with snacks. Not where you're going.”

Wordlessly she pulled thirteen flowers from the highest quality stock, wrapping them up with the utmost care. Then she scooped up his bits and shoved them into his pocket before he could protest.

“Meadow Breeze is a sweet girl, but she's new. She still has a lot to learn.” Roseluck said.

He looked down at the flowers, hand trembling. For Fudge, it was almost unbearable. How could she stand here pretending to have a conversation with him? How could she treat him better than she treated her regular customers? Why couldn't she treat him like he deserved? Her kindness seemed almost cruel somehow.

“Rosie.. you're so good to me.” He said, wiping the tears from his eyes. “Why are you so good to me?”

It took her a while to think up an answer.

“I suppose... I suppose that one of us has to be. Otherwise, who would put the flowers on Lily's grave?”

“It would be easier if you just hated me the way Daisy does.”

Pain swept over her features.

“Daisy, she's never recovered. When we heard Lily had gone missing, we didn't know what to do. She was gone so long, we had to assume the worst. But Daisy never believed it. Not for one second. And then you just showed up that day out of the blue. I think that something just sort of... broke inside of her.”

It was one of the worst memories he possessed. And Peter had oh so many bad ones.

The procession made it's way through Ponyville, the locals staring at the sight of more than a thousand diamond dogs in two single files. They had only just started to get used to the local pack that Missy had set up. Now an army of them had descended on their little town. And they weren't attacking. Far from it, they looked like a funeral march what with the large palanquin at the head of the procession, an enormous body wrapped up in a blue cloak.

They made their way into the market and there they stopped. A big malamute with a spear came up to their stalls.

“Do I have the honor of addressing the ponies Daisy and Roseluck?”

“Ye.. yes... what's going on?” Daisy asked nervously.

“Please madams, come with me.”

They approached the palanquin with trepidation. The malamute whispered something and the body stirred. A green hand lifted up the black cloth that covered the head. Though the sunlight stabbed at his eyes, he paid it no heed.

“I made a promise.” The minotaur gasped in pain. “I promised... promised that I'd bring her back to you.”

The malamute reached under the palanquin and retrieved a large ornate box covered in black lacquer. On the lid was an image they both knew well. It was their best friend's cutie mark, - a single white lily.

A fear took hold of the pair of earth ponies, a horrible fear. Their minds were divided, half wanting to deny the truth in front of them and half certain that it was unavoidable. Some powerful force drew Roseluck towards the box, a terrible need to know that overrode the panic in her head that was shouting at her not to do it. She reached out with her hoof and opened the lid.

And there, whiter than white were their best friend's bones.

That was when Daisy began to scream. Part of her would never really stop.

“I'm sorry.” He wept. “I'm so, so sorry.”

“I know.”

“I killed her Rosie. I killed her twice!”

“No.” Roseluck said forcefully. “The... thing that murdered Applejack was not Lily. Don't you dare insinuate that it was. It may have looked like her, sounded like her, but it was not her. That was his doing.”

Vanilla's calm, sinister voice echoed through his head. Even in the throes of death, his words had never wavered:

“You're already too late. She should be finished with your little bumpkin girlfriend by now. What, don't tell me you actually thought you'd get to have a happy ending? No Fudge, what you get... is suffering.”

“Still,” He said. “It doesn't change the fact that I--”

She smacked him hard across the face with her hoof.

“STOP IT!” Roseluck shrieked. “Just stop! I can't stand it anymore! How long are you going to carry on like this? How long are you going to keep denying what she did for you? Lily chose to die so that you could live. Everyone at the arena saw it.”

His face was full of surprise. Who could have told her about.... Silverfang. Of course it was him.

“She did that. Not you. Your wallowing around blaming yourself won't bring her back. It's worse than disgusting, it's wrong.”

“I..”

“Think about what you're doing to Applejack!”

He stiffened.

“She's just like you, you know.” Roseluck continued, misty eyed. “She never says anything, but deep down inside she's in pain. Everypony sees it but you, Fudge. And do you know why? It's because her boyfriend can't get over his poor lost Lily. Each and every night she goes to sleep wondering if you actually love her or if it's Lily's ghost you're in love with.”

Her words cut like a knife. If felt like he'd been stabbed in the heart. The flask fell out of his hand with a clatter, the flowers dropping silently to the floor. He sank to his knees, grasping his horns so tightly his knuckles went white.

“I'm an idiot. Stupid, selfish idiot. I never wanted to hurt her. Not ever. I don't... What do I...”

“Grieve.” Roseluck stated.

He looked up at her in wonderment.

“Really grieve. Get the poison out of your system, move past it and get on with your life. What happened to Lily? I forgave you a long time ago. It's time for you to forgive yourself. But... If you spend another second hurting Applejack, I don't think that I can ever forgive you for that. Now... go say goodbye.”

She picked up the flask and stuffed it in his pocket, then picked up the bouquet and put it in his hand. Without another word or a moment's hesitation he headed out into the night, towards the Ponyville District Cemetery, where Lily was waiting.

She had been waiting long enough.

Comments ( 2 )

hmm, "The Unforgiven" is included in "Where The Heart Is".

the power of copy paste =D

7645080
What the crap? I thought I deleted it after moving everything over. Gah.

Login or register to comment