• Published 12th Oct 2016
  • 801 Views, 10 Comments

Land of the Rising Sun: Quelling the Ryu - TheronSniper



Equestria in the midst of a growing epidemic of magic exhaustion, the Princesses still try to keep the peace with their neighbors. A war escalating has forces her to send an ambassador to see to peace, but they don't bow to anyone.

  • ...
2
 10
 801

Ch. 10 Council of Elders Part I

Author's Note:

Likely will be switching between events in the warzone and the Council. I want to paint more of a picture of the Neighponese and the war itself.

'I can't believe it! I'm going to be one of the few privileged to meet with the ruling governing body of the hidden tribe!' Twilight gleefully thought as the first ragged sheet passed over her head.

'No one but the princesses know of their ways or who they are. Which means I can create my own personal section, though sadly for my eyes only, on the thestrals! They seem so happy to have royalty visit them, which will allow me to indulge in every facet of their lives.' another rough wool textile tickled at her fur and horn, gaining a sneeze from Spike aboard her back.

'Though that begs the question as to why Luna has been the only one to really pay them a visit? Why hasn't Celestia at least stopped at the entrance? Established some line of communication?' the third dusty cotton spread brushed off her head where a glow of blue light peaked past the edges and curving cavern wall.

As she mulled over the strange circumstance of the Tribe and the crown, a slight hum emanated up ahead as the glow brightened thrice in strength. Each cloth section seemed to be two full steps in between, with what appeared to be the last section as dark as it were. The commander had just disappeared past the layer and hummed again, she could see the edge of his tattered tail which snaked under the resting fabric.

"Please step through this last one Princess, the Council is quite eager to see you." Vigil beckoned.

Spike sneezed again though this time a green cone of sparks flew outward and bounced off the final sheet, the dwarfed flare of his breath forced her eyes to shut out of protection from the embers. Blinded vision lent her through into the room or chamber up ahead, either which could have been the location though there was little she could do to anticipate the experience.

"SPIKE!!" she harshly whispered as her horn tickled from the running roughness of the cloth, a shiver sent down her spine that quivered her folded wings.

The stone under hoof up to the short tunnel had been rough and dirt strewn, with small fragments of the gems that had once permeated the cave system. In the tunnel to the Thestral governance, the young mare could feel smoothed over bare granite, rough enough to create traction but smooth enough to not wear ones hooves if they walked over it repeatedly. She also noted the quickly warming air as soon as she touched the last barrier, a possible fireplace burning through the use of the stones as the cook used. While the cave system was not unpleasantly cold, the body heat of the denizens seemed to keep the overall atmosphere in a stable temperature. Only feeling a slight pinch of a coolness once they came towards the council's gathering, a deeper section of the tunnels that likely made the drop in heat a reasonable expectation.

While her mind split between how she would introduce herself and analyzing the surroundings down to the letter, the blue light grew ever more intense the farther up the sheet went above the two. Even half way up her chest with her head ducked down her squeezed eye lids did little to buffer the pain that came from whatever fire had been dancing.

"Welcome to the Fosum, Princess..." came Steel's voice as the last obstacle finally gave way, triggering a twitch of the contracted muscles which opened her eyes by a sliver.

"Finally! I don't want to sneeze..." the baby drake started to sigh in relief before he too gazed at the bright fire a few feet away.

"AAhhhh!!" the two scornfully hissed together.

The alicorn's ears pinned closely to her skull just as Spike lost his balance and fell off her with a soft thud on the rocky floor. She took a step back and shyly looked away from the pure illumination, the same kind that felt as real as the giant crystal that protected their home from evil. Although knowing so little of their ways and paranoia rightly justified, it did make sense to her that they would have a final test to anypony who wished to see their elders. She did not see any line of guards as the Palace would have, no armored sentinels trained to watch for evil attempting to sneak in. Though the way in which her body naturally reacted to the pain to her ocular nerves was less than satisfactory, already she sensed her regal appearance had taken a dive and she hadn't even seen the important thestral leaders.

"Ahh hahahah! That's brisk!" Spike's claw went up to block the shine as his other three limbs rose him off the ground, "Ya really need another crystal scanner here too? Almost like the scenes out of the Pantheon of Olympius I read to foals last week."

Nothing but orbs of colors filled what had tried to come to her senses, her hooves eager to stabilize her posture with minimal success, "Commander Steel? I... I can't... see. Again!"

Thinking quickly she extended her wings and used the tips to drag on the rocky floor, in effect she figured mimicking certain cave dwelling insects might save her from a mishap that would majorly folly her first appearance before the Council. Intending on appearing as confident as one of her role should be she tried to take a few steps forward as her wings kept her balance. Yet three hooves into the process came a good step where the drop caught her off guard, already the unexpected decent sent her into a destabilized fall in the making. Only as panic spiked in her heart did a bat-like wing come to her aid once more halting her progress before she kissed the ground.

The thick membrane webbing cushioned her mishap and held her aloft while hooves scrambled for proper stance, "Careful there your majesty, you were about to put a hoof into the Chou'ka. Not sure about you but I think only the young drake can tolerate fire am I not correct?" Steel seemed to quietly chuckle, his gruff voice went silent while he guided her away from the searing brightness which she then only sensed ever painfully as heat caressed her fur and muzzle.

Twilight nervously giggled, "Ya... let's not find out."

Spike however had begun to see to some extent, seeing her tail he grasped onto it while his eyes fully recovered. Surprised to an awe that while he felt nothing when his flame sent a scroll to Celestia, he was sure the light was something precious to the tribe's elders.

"I get that you guys don't want to have shadow agents infiltrate your home, but maybe a little warning next time?" Spike grumbled to himself rubbing away the lingering balloons his slit pupils beheld as if it were one of Pinkie's surprise parties.

A pinch of embarrassment nipped at Twilight as she heard him talk to himself so loudly, "SPIKE!!"

"What?! He could have warned us?" the dracling protested with a huff, his clawed toes lightly clicking on the hard stone.

"Ha haha ha! Need not worry there little one, all new folk that see the sacred fire say the same thing. As rare as the occasion is." the officer chortled, "Yes, it is indeed a final test to those we let in this far into the village. It burns into the souls of those who look upon it for even a moment, and those found wanting show their true colors. Which for you two it's nothing out of the ordinary."

Having followed the guiding wing of the mighty stallion, Twilight had come to a stop before a cushion of some sort as her front hooves had stepped upon. The route held upon the spot which she managed to peak past her eye lids to see a maroon red seat, large enough to accommodate herself and even Spike. The wing which had kept her on the proper way had retracted before, but she sensed the commander was not far from her.

"Um... thank you Commander Steel, I do apologize nonetheless for the uh... way I've presented myself." she said while taking a seat on the soft plush furnishing, her number one assistant plopping beside her left.

A clop of hooves came instead of a response from any other pony, the only other sound came from the flickering fire safely away from the two. Still fighting the need to see, Twilight heard every step as the pony drew closer and closer to her with still not a word uttered. Dancing reds, blues, and greens still played across what little she could make of with her vision, thus a growing trepidation seeped out of her spirit as uncertainty played with her ability to function.

"I should probably introduce myself so I don't seem rude... I am the Princess... of Friendship! Twilight Sparkle, though I prefer my name than..." she caught her tongue a few times trying to speak, stopping as some pony stood before her.

A gentle blow of air and something akin to dust swam across her muzzle and onto her eye lids, where she pulled away there was a sudden coolness to the debris as it clinged onto the fur of her face. Instantly she could feel no lingering pain of light blindness, she could see again with utmost clarity as if she had night vision herself. Where her eyes had come upon was the dark gray granite floor of oddly naturally smoothed rock, bands of striations patterned along like cracked pebbles. Spike seemed to have had the same experience as she felt me squirm beside her.

"HEY!!" he protested only to change tone as quickly as he spoke, "Oh... oh wow!"

The both of them quickly looked at one another astonished as a hound would upon finding a pile of bones. Safe to say that whoever rendered aid was still before them they glanced up front and took in the silhouette of a thestral mare by her physique before the azure flame. Standing with one hoof held aloft by her muzzle, a mane and tail crafted into braids, white robes hung off her shoulders with barely decipherable sigils and imagery. A stout pony the thestral made herself to appear as with stunning bronze eyes that seemed to reflect the intensity of the light behind her as it bounced off the chamber around her. Eyes like Spike's and the commander's, they held a firm tract onto the princess like that of a viper ready to strike.

The concentration upon the new pony broke only when Steel's wing came to tap upon her shoulder, "You should be able to see now, though if you could? You're making Shamaness High Sky a little nervous."

"Wha...?" Twilight blinked a few times before shaking her head, "I'm sooo sorry about that! It's just... you see..."

"I think I speak for the two of us when we're trying to see ya, but the bonfire behind you is making it hard to pick out your appearance." the dracling shrugged sensing little in the dismay of their healer seemed to withdraw into herself.

The figure shirked away and allowed the flame to enlighten the two, in the process the very healer herself was all the more easier to study. The slight striations in her coat like a feline, the few pieces of amethyst rings along her ears, the kindness in her face much like Fluttershy, and the small pouches that dangled off bands that attached to her ornate robes through sewed on loops. Timid was the air that Twilight picked up on and it only lead her to attempt to coax the thestral, for one thing she did wish to know what was done to them.

"Please, no need to be afraid? I'm Twilight Sparkle, just an ordinary pony... who happened to help Equestria in its time of need... on many occasions." she grinned trying to not make herself so glorious.

The healer nodded, her bronze eyes ever glamorous themselves were still a sight to behold in the dim lighting of the chamber. At the same time as the mare could be seen in greater light were orange flares lit all around the whole room though the two hadn't concerned themselves with the sources. With ease they were able to note the chestnut hair of the braids against the white clothing that swirled around her form like drooping boas. Legs and her upper chest to head gave the fur its color as a cool cappuccino brown, complimenting the eyes with such supple naturalness that hadn't been seen yet in the village.

"Princess of... Friendship? Defeater of the dark one? Vanquisher of the Great Eater?" softly spoke the shamaness who appeared lacking in social talent just like her animal loving friend.

Nodding in agreement, "If you mean reforming Princess Luna and defeating Tirek then yes, those are a few accomplishments my friends and I have acquired. But those don't make us any more of a pony than one at a market or a guard on post. If I might say whatever you did we are grateful, by the way what was it you did?" she asked with a generous smile and open mind.

Spike jumped in as he leaned forward on the dull red pillow, "Ya! You blew something in our faces and BOOM!! We can see again!"

His enthusiastic inquiry giving a jerky hesitance from the healer, she answered with a pause first, "...it's just Mollemor Root... a mushroom that grows in the caves. We use it only on guests who see the light and are blinded... it relieves pain and relaxes the muscles in the eyes from the hold the body has after going blind."

"Yes, as I said it is quite a treat to have an outsider in our home. So we endevour to entreat them with kindness to the best that we can. High Sky has studied under the dedicated shaman and medicine ponies local and abroad, she's got quite a record of experimentation under her wing." Steel said, new voices came as murmurs all around giving life to the room that had at first seemed devoid of all but the fire.

Twilight's ears jerked every other way as her head detected the sounds, bringing reality back to her to which the chamber then properly visible had somehow become populated with life. Looking to her left there were seven adults decorated in lavish armor not in any way ceremonial, plating of mulberry and weathered iron protected their core and vitals while heads remained open. Like Steel they too bore scars of some fight, most appeared to be claw marks while others were grievously attained by mauling weaponry the likes she didn't want to fathom. They were happily speaking to one another as they poked sights at her, whatever they said did not seem ill in nature as it was more of fascination.

She turned to the right past High Sky and Commander Steel, there sat more civilian looking thestrals who either wore nothing over the earth tone fur or had on some form of robe that served to identify their role. Like the warriors she saw they were talking amidst themselves while glances at the alicorn, some even waved at her or bowed. Two seemed to be in the process of eating fruit and meat, but none dared to speak out loud or introduce themselves. Males and females alike were all in seemingly equal power and holdings, likely important beings to be in the Council area that Twilight was sure of. It only served to keep her on her hooves from the get go if she were to prove herself the princess she had been made into. Certain lessons from Celestia herself came forth like a cork rising from the bottom of a tub, rank had its own rules and expectations that couldn't be brushed aside.

Yet before she tried to peer over the bonfire before her, her sight swept over the area they had ended up in for the first time. Like the floor beneath her cushion, the cave walls were all natural and showed signs of water erosion visible from the fire of the torches of the surroundings. Orange glow pronounced the bulbous heads and curving ledges that rose high up above, to how old the system may have been before the unicorns mined it out was best left to a geologist. Yet the appreciation for nature and its inner workings were to be complimented, Twilight was utterly taken by the sacred area in its soothing peaceful atmosphere calmed by the lighting that gave to the obsidian darkness beyond the light in the shadows.

When she finally looked back down, there ahead of the ice fire were the elders that had been mentioned to her and elders they were through and through. Four thestrals sat on plain blankets with small piles of cushions of which they sat upon, their unmoving forms only served to give them a semblance to statues of stone until one of them moved limb or head. Two stallions of unknown age bore long beards unlike the type Starswirl had been depicted as, silvery drapes ran from their muzzles and eyebrows that extended just to the front elbows. Leading to wooden staffs which were laid to rest by their fore hooves, of their purpose the lavender mare couldn't discern. When she took in the two mares on the other side of the old stallions, she beheld not frailty but strong beauty that did not seem possible. While she did not want to assume being on the council was due to age, she was sure the two were around Granny Smith's years by subtle hints. Yet their faces were barely wrought with crows feet and missing teeth, their wings as sturdy and healthy looking. Taunt their skin was they were quite apparent in capability of fast movement judging by the musculature she picked out in their withers and haunches. Also bearing staffs the mares had several strands of moon kissed locks down their manes and tails just as the stallions, exemplifying their already immaculate visage.

Unaware of how long she had been looking at the elders she had her focus shattered by Commander Steel who cleared his throat, "Council of Elders, I present you the Warrior Princess of Equestria! Princess Twilight Sparkle of Ponyville, former student of Princess Celestia... and savior of our patron saint Princess Luna!!"

His announcement came with silence among the ranks, the depth of his voice echoed in the little section of the cave where it vanished off through crevices and holes. All sets of eyes became glued upon her as if she were Luna herself, anxiety had risen ever sharply as the scenario' she had ran in her head became voided. Having already tried to introduce herself to the healer she hadn't known that so many others were in the same area much less the council, and with Steel giving her the open pulpit she couldn't figure out where to begin.

She became fidgety with a locked tongue, eyes zipping to each body she could see. The congregation was nothing impressive, it felt as if she were before a test given to her and short on preparation time to anticipate the questions. Being the second princess and pony to enter their protected home already surmounted so much onto her shoulders, she had to be perfect to prove she was worthy of the honor they gave to her. Being inside Mount Canterhorn had not served her very well either, claustrophobia ate away at her will to stand resiliently. Beads of sweat had started to form along her brow wetting the hair there. The warmth of the fire only served to trick her nerves as the saline cooled quickly in the atmosphere that leeched heat away quickly like they were in the deep woods after a cold front.

A claw poked her barrel gently, "Umm... Twilight? You okay there?"

The encompassing factors all served to entrap the young princess in a vexing ring of mind halting nervousness that her assistant took heed of. Like all the other times when the situation seemed to relapse her fear of pop tests born of her obsessive compulsiveness, she just needed to be brought back from drowning in her own muck. Thus the drake youngling took it upon himself and took in a deep breath, surprise was key to freeing her of the hold it hand on her.

A whoosh of green flame jet spooked the mare with wings shooting outward, a yelp followed the shock as her front hooves kicked in the air. She nearly fell back had Steel not caught her once more, though the alicorn had no senses to realize his nor Spike's aid. Once the fire died away leaving only the azure one at the center of the chamber and the regular torches in the background, Twilight felt her breath catch up to her with a slight high from the quick gulps of air taken quickly.

"You know you should really take it easy Twi, you stress yourself too easily. Besides everypony here seems as lax as ponyville after a monster comes stomping through." he gestured with a claw outwards for her to follow.

Right as she was about to reprimand him, Steel appeared right beside her sitting down with gusto, "He's right your majesty, though this whole place may seem like the Royal Court to you. I can assure you that we treat everypony and dragon like family, we don't have any need of formalities except for the Elders own personal choices. Aside from that we are no noble house ponies, just a gathering of essential figures on a day of importance that just so happens to make room for you before the ceremony occurs." his voice ever masculine bore no lie.

Indeed, Twilight took him for his word as she observed her surroundings once more from the ponies at the flanks to the senior heads of the tribe. None seemed to act with the air of the Royal Court, none seemed to be prim and proper, wearing much of anything gaudy for the sake of their position. Practical was the word best suited for the thestrals in attendance, and all of which bowed to her humbly where smiles graced their muzzles meant for her.

"See? Told ya." Spike rose a corner of his mouth in a firm stance of his belief proved true.

She nodded and turned to him, "I... I guess you're right about that. Sorry for going a little worrisome for a moment, and thank you for catching it." a quick nuzzle along his head and she turned to the officer to looked ahead.

"You need not apologize to anypony here princess, now if you'd like we can move onto introductions? I'm afraid we are a little short on time, rather fast these days seem to go." he said to her as if his eyes were having a gestural conversation with another pair.

"Yes, please let us continue. I really don't want to waste anypony's time. After all, what has happened to the Night Guard is beyond words and my presence here. I do not wish to detract from any of the grieving that must be going through your hearts at this time." she bowed to the gathering, the baby drake scrambled seconds after catching on.

Another wave of whispers went about the ponies around before one spoke out, a charcoal gray stallion swiveled his head to the others around, "This really is her? Truly she befits the mantle that has been bestowed upon her withers!"

"Aye, born of the Spire City in the Sun yet warm of heart unlike the fluffed full bloods that amass there. Victories and honors have not festered in the soul." one of the armored thestrals on the left commented with following hoof steps in agreement.

Several others added similar compliments swaying further congratulatory favors in her initial introduction, but those soon died away when somepony interjected. Twilight rose back up to see who had quieted the meeting, awed by the only one beside the elders who had any reason backed by their position if she had assumed their cultural hierarchy.

Steel rose a hoof to interject, "Yes my fellows, let I not speak for her though. She's been through enough as it is, trying to save another world from catastrophe she's pardoned twice already. As interested in speaking with her as you all may be, tis not the reason I brought her here after informing the council of her desire to see our home." he leaned towards her and quietly told her, "Princess if you would, the Elders will speak and after which you can meet with the rest of the Arbitrators."

Being lead into a proceeding she felt a line she could grasp onto, training her next moves based on something feasible. Thankful for the halt of an uncoordinated greeting, she sat upright as straight as her spine and muscles could allow. Hosting no crown made it all the more easier for her to envision herself in their minds, she was just Twilight Sparkle with wings. Not a princess of a nation or goddess of the sun or moon, but the believer in bonds born through understanding and compassion. Where violence was not the first thing to resort to, but taken when all else failed. The thestrals were familiar with her life's work and beyond after the commander's proclamation, thus she knew she had some level among the warrior tribe. As with the ponies of the forbidden jungle and lost temples, a capable pony was a respectable pony and she earned it all whether she wanted it or not.

She noticed a few ponies arrive from the farther recesses of the cavern section behind the location, though no light came from where ever they exited she was sure there was more to be had. Mares and stallions came in with crystal trays holding wooden and metal drinking apparatuses, pitchers and cups in shape set beside the aged elders who gave them a side glance. Their nodding indicated they registered the servings to which they slowly together poured their own drinks, clear liquid she assumed to be water were poured and sipped at within minutes. Minutes she took the time to review possible questions and the proper responses she'd give, which in the act of doing so more servers went further out and brought beverages and treats to all in the gathering. Rather than fly they trotted around depositing the items to every grouping up to Twilight's seat, she missed their approach and wordless visit. It took Spike's slurping forked tongue and happy chuckles to steal her attention away and see the hospitality brought before them.

The baby dragon munched on rather generous portions of precious stones of various colors, each supposedly their own flavor to the king of reptiles. Her eyes curved onto the wooden pitcher with a bite handle for pouring, in it she could smell a floral aroma just barely in the semi cold and warm air. Her right ear jerked to the sound of a crunch, out of the corner of her eye sat the officer patiently working on a miniature poultry carcass seared and browned to the point that it leaked with each bite.

She drew in the new information and summoned a conclusion, 'Need to see this through fresh eyes, remember what the two of the said about their ways of life. Food means everything to them as is the capability of fighting any foe, to share ones food if even a spoonful is to trust and respect the pony they do so with. Thus by doing this with a small meal if by Commander Vigil's own consumption when we ate together speaks volume, it means I'm already placed on a stable foundation.'

The servers had left her a strange bundle of blobs, coated in seeds and mushrooms the likes of which reminded her of the kind of foods Zecora once shared with her in her visits to the zebra for educational purposes. Merry in the strides she made thus far she thought little of the morsels and took one in her magic, it quickly vanished in her mouth to which she chewed eagerly expecting Cherryroot or licorice. Instead, she came across something that had a pungent sweetness that stole her guard and froze her jaw in place.

'This... this tastes like a mango rind! Ohhh... but if I breath it out I can smell such putrid decay!' she caught her throat before the taste of bile touched the back of her tongue, 'Why does it taste... rather okay but have such a horrible smell?!'

Unable to shut off her sense of smell and only taste, she held the partially masticated treat for a moment nervous that she might insult the tribe's cooking by spitting out the food. It was an afterthought when she first arrived in ponyville years ago, visiting the Apple's farm and given tasting privileges over what was to be served at that Festival which changed her life for what it had become. How she spat out the hoof crafted pastries after being overly stuffed by the samples, luck have it that no pony noticed her do such a thing. Ever since then she worried repeating that little act, and especially at the moment before a tribe of ponies rarely seen outside their posts under Luna's command.

A slight giggle came from the stallion next to her as he swallowed the breast meat of the bird corpse, "I see you were given the specialty? I can smell the delicious fruit from here. Hmmm... Durian."

A server passed by and overheard, "Oi yea! Durian, the king of fruit! Ma da crafted that little one last night for Elder Orion, guess'n the old guff wanted you to enjoy it as much as he. Spiff'n ya took to it like a cat to catnip, you really fit in like the Goddess does."

The mare went on her way without saying anymore, little of concern to the princess as a new fear was stoked in her spirits. In panic she forced a swallow of the mush in her oral cavity, happy she took in the smelly dessert yet worried she'd have to eat more and mess up by vomiting the second attempt if only to please the council. Her stomach already began to tighten and churn like a starving Pinkie Pie during Free Cupcake Day, in her case however it was indigestion.

A hoof instinctively went up to her muzzle though she tried to make it look less intrusive, but Steel seemed to notice easily of what was going on. The veteran shrugged as he took a leg off bone and all, his teeth breaking everything down with popping and cracking to signal the mutilation of the limb behind the cheeks. A quick swallow and a chug of the drink straight from the pitcher had the stallion give her a queer look that came with a smirk.

"Worry not your highness, Durian is a delicacy best suited to natural lovers of the custard flesh. The fact that you took in a piece and swallowed even one is all that Eldar Orion or the others could ask for." he leaned towards her ear so only she would hear, "Personally I don't like it myself, but to each their own."

Left as the only one still as an ice sculpture, Spike and the officer went on their snacking as she looked beyond the edges of the bonfire to the only likely council member how enjoyed the weird food. The one whiskered stallion whose coat lighted around his hooves and muzzle, whose eyes were just visible behind the white eyebrows that hung a foot below their roots as bright as moonlight. He who seemed to be smirking at her in a devilish way with the same dish beside him only down to a single globular orb.

'I'm not ready for this.' she thought to herself.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment